PDA

View Full Version : Yume Miru Kusuri

Dick Johnson
11-30-2009, 04:49 PM
This has got to be one of the best VNs of all time. It combines drama, comedy, and an extremely good plot to boot. I'm not really the emotional type of guy, but watching the good endings in this game just brought out such a profound feeling of happiness, it's unexplainable. It's such a shame that it's so short though.

Seriously, I'm crying right now. Not because the game is so touching (which it is!), but because I know there won't be another VN that will ever be as good as this one.

I seriously wish there was a download link for the game on this forum, but since it's licensed, it's against the forum rules to do so.

Anyway, if my little rave doesn't convince you guys how great this game is, take a look at this in-depth review:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.135672

Play this game. Now.

zorz
11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
IMHO it's overrated. Art is bleak. Really bleak. Noi, really, where are bright colors? Well, each to their own, I guess.
Second, it has only 3 routes(which are too linear[bad ends doesn't count]). No incest route, no route for bully. Even no route for that gay in shop D:
Third, bully-victim-route is too short. Just when things started to get interesting, route ends.

Dick Johnson
11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
IMHO it's overrated. Art is bleak. Really bleak. Noi, really, where are bright colors? Well, each to their own, I guess.
Second, it has only 3 routes(which are too linear[bad ends doesn't count]). No incest route, no route for bully. Even no route for that gay in shop D:
Third, bully-victim-route is too short. Just when things started to get interesting, route ends.
I can understand how you think the routes are too short, but why the h*** do you want a route for the bully? The game throws it in your face that she's a complete monster and will make your life living hell if you cross her once.

I think the art style is really nice too. Not your typical moe-moe fest. Oh, and they actually show the protagonist's face and give him a unique personality.

GarethXL
11-30-2009, 07:11 PM
have to agree, the 3 elements that you listed is nothing but a formula made popular by KEY, there's nothing innovative about it.

i would suggest you to try this year title mashiro iro symphony, although it doesn't have the tragic climax that would made you shed bucket of tears but the way the story is presented is very good and innovative.

though if you don't understand japanese then yeah tough luck even with a translator there are some back ground chat that you won't be able to understand.

KuriosAkantha
11-30-2009, 07:46 PM
I really liked it. The brunette's ending was heart-warming.

The storyline was realistic, except for neko.

But the way you got endings makes little sense. It's like: "You come to an empty hallway, go left or right?"

If you go left you get awesome sex scene. If you go right you die a after bloody death another 15 pages of text.

With no hints or clues one way or other in many cases. Seriously... no... clues...

michelous
11-30-2009, 07:49 PM
i love this the student counsel route is the most boring

Dick Johnson
11-30-2009, 07:52 PM
If you go left you get awesome sex scene. If you go right you die a after bloody death another 15 pages of text.

With no hints or clues one way or other in many cases. Seriously... no... clues...
Uhhh, this isn't Fate/Stay Night or Tsukihime...I don't recall the protagonist ever dying in any route >.>

KuriosAkantha
11-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Uhhh, this isn't Fate/Stay Night or Tsukihime...I don't recall the protagonist ever dying in any route >.>

I mean like when you have sex with brunette, if you "hold back" or "resist" too many times then horrible things happen to her, etc.

Beowulf Lee
11-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Hello Dick Johnson,
If you haven't played these already, I suggest these to you:
Ever17 - Classic. Shit bricks.
Cross Channel - Written by the same guy who wrote YMK, Tanaka Romeo.
Saya no Uta - Lovecraft loli.
Sharin no Kuni - Fight the power.
They've all been translated into English too. Some might say they're better than YMK. Maybe not.

Dick Johnson
11-30-2009, 08:36 PM
I mean like when you have sex with brunette, if you "hold back" or "resist" too many times then horrible things happen to her, etc.
Oh, you mean not making the right decisions leads to the bad ending.

Anyway, do you guys think the game has a "main" heroine? It definitely seems like a toss-up between Aeka (white-haired girl) and Nekoko (the "fairy" girl). The title suggests Nekoko is the main character and she's the most prominently featured in the game OP, but in the actual gameplay, it seems Aeka is the most prominent or at least the "exposition route", since her troubles/decisions are the most obvious, so it seems like the game is kinda pushing you to play her route first, kind of like how Fate/Stay Night forces you to play Saber's route first.

11-30-2009, 09:50 PM
YMK is a bit overrated. I kinda liked it but it's not the best I've read out there. Try these titles:

-Kana: Little Sister
-Crescendo

Massofthefermentingkimchi
12-01-2009, 01:39 AM
YMK is a bit overrated. I kinda liked it but it's not the best I've read out there. Try these titles:

-Kana: Little Sister
-Crescendo

The above is written by the same writer from YMK if I'm right.

I thought YMK was pretty good.

Ironically it was more the general art direction that I loved more than the plot. I liked how nondescript the designs were rather than being too flashy (Neko is the only offender and the route itself I felt was pretty awful)The writing and pacing itself was actually nice but it wasn't particularly punchy or ambitious. If there's any reason to like this work it's because of how it feels like carries itself as being less about the moe/cuteness and more about the characters themselves and the drama that revolves around them...even if some of it wasn't particularly interesting.

Drastica
12-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Agreed, YMK was a game I enjoyed quite a bit, but it was also kinda limited, or felt it anyway. Also, I loathed the third girl, played her through once just to know what the story was, but really didn't like her at all, or her story.

Nekoko's was my favorite, closely followed by Aeka's. Aeka's good ending was very sweet, but I felt some disappointment with Nekoko's ending. Not sure why.

And the games 6531597 listed, (especially Kana), are probably about the best of this style of game around, sure, less 'adult', but seems like you enjoyed the stories more, so those are definite must play games if ya ask me.

And I'll toss in a plug for an old game, too. Nocturnal Illusions. Sure, it's old, and stuff like it's been done better now I guess, but that game had something that could get my heart pounding sometimes. Occasionally still replay it, too. Can't say that about a lot of other visual novels.

Dick Johnson
12-01-2009, 01:14 PM
If there's any reason to like this work it's because of how it feels like carries itself as being less about the moe/cuteness and more about the characters themselves and the drama that revolves around them...even if some of it wasn't particularly interesting.

Exactly. I'm tired of the moe-moe games like Shuffle! that have such a weak storyline and only have appeal from the bouncy music and flashy characters. Those games are good for people new to eroge, but once you experience games like YMK with deeper stories and better writing, then you just can't go back to the old ones.

Unless you're a moe-moe fan.

Corelain
12-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Kana is definitely a winner and one of my personal favorites.

YMK is good, but I found myself wishing for a 4th route (even non-h) where all of the girls could be "saved". I also enjoyed the meta-humor of the character being somehow aware of the click-click-click of his life as a character in the game, but was somewhat frustrated by all of the hints of a hidden path that I, at least, have been completely unable to find (and if the game seems short, try working the entire decision tree sometime to see if there is a hidden option somewhere).

Dick Johnson
12-01-2009, 01:36 PM
I felt some disappointment with Nekoko's ending. Not sure why.
Yea, I felt her route didn't have a sense of closure like the other two.

Yes, the protagonist and Nekoko got back together in the end, but it leaves so much unsaid. Do they actually start dating each other? Do they decide to live together or get married? Sometimes leaving too much interpretation to the viewer leaves the ending lacking.