PDA

View Full Version : Why did people hate Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within?

Abicion
03-04-2010, 05:38 PM
And I mean really hate Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. (http://movies.ign.com/articles/306/306720p1.html)

Were FF7 fanboys just bitter it had "Final Fantasy" in the title and wasn't Advent Children?
Did people think Spirits Within wasn't strong enough as an original story?
Did potential moviegoers travel nine years into the future, see this picture (http://i50.tinypic.com/9pxht5.jpg), and couldn't help but unconsciously associate the film with a unpopular JRPG Mary Sue, a stupidly overpowered robot, and an irrelevant My-HiME character with the same Japanese voice actress as the Mary Sue?

What gives? I thought it was decent.

Ctrl Alt DelBR
03-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Frankly, I don't even remember how the story went, but I found it quite bad (despite being at an age I'd just swallow anything Holywood would throw at me), even if visually stunning.

And Advent Children is pretty foul too.

yoshiama12
03-04-2010, 05:58 PM
I found the plot weak the voice acting annoying and in general did not enjoy it ,but I didn't hate it. I would say these things plus the fact the movie had no relationship to any of the final fantasy franchise really pissed people off and turned them off to it.

Ctrl Alt DelBR
03-04-2010, 06:02 PM
By the way, I think someone finally found out they needed a Fabula Nova Crystalis project to show people Final Fantasy is still about silly crystals rather than chocobos and original storytelling.

yoshiama12
03-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Hey now I think Final Fantasy Tactics, 7, and 6 Show that it did have good plots and awesome chocobos :)....Though I agree that one example is how things can be misplaced on elements and boring.

ProcessedCheese
03-04-2010, 06:19 PM
The chick wasn't hot enough.

Ferrin
03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
3 things i think;
1- many people dont think it fits as a final fantasy story even if many of the elements in the film are similar to what you find in 7 or 8.

2- being condensed into a (80 minute?) film meant that the same character & plot development couldnt be done how fans liked/expected

3- it was kind of an experiment into animation techniques for square inex.

in fairness, FFAC had the same weak plot & characters, it just rode on the back of the established FF7 story to make up for those shortfalls.
there are much worse films out there, but the final fantasy films are a bit generic for both plot and characters.

Ctrl Alt DelBR
03-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey now I think Final Fantasy Tactics, 7, and 6 Show that it did have good plots and awesome chocobos :)....Though I agree that one example is how things can be misplaced on elements and boring.Indeed, it's not like stories about shining gems and stones weren't acceptable once. But this belongs to the past, buried along navigational world maps (despite Versus XIII planning to bring them back again).

in fairness, FFAC had the same weak plot & characters, it just rode on the back of the established FF7 story to make up for those shortfalls.
there are much worse films out there, but the final fantasy films are a bit generic for both plot and characters.
If SS was an animation experiment, AC was a fighting scenes experience.

CDGmaboroshi
03-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Like avatar, not avatar the last air bender, final fantasy spirits within did the same crime as to rip off it's true name belonging.

realsilverjunk
03-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I actually liked it, but it wasn't very "final fantasy" to me. It was more like another franchise from Square Enix.

stormwyrm
03-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Two words: Uncanny valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley).

Ctrl Alt DelBR
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Two words: Uncanny valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley).

I believe I've mentioned the Valley on the past here before, yes? On a topic about Avatar, I think.

Anyway, despite what the theorics say regarding the Valley and Cameron's piece being close enough to hike away from it, I say that SS was good enough (and anime-ish enough) to avoid the whole Valley effect. I mean, big-eyed characters meant to look more cute than realistic won't trigger our mind's self-preservation system as a photorealistic character would.

Alupihan
03-09-2010, 06:21 PM
1. not enough belts
2. the leading man is too manly
3. no chocobos
4. too much science
5. stupid narration
6. feels like watching gears of war instead of FF cutscenes

johnblade
03-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Remove the "Final Fantasy" name from the movie: Typical generic Sci-Fi movie with cliche storyline, weak character development, and so many other issues.

Add the "Final Fantasy" name from the movie: Doesn't follow FF storyline = SUCK!!!

For me, nothing interesting that come out from the movie except the nice looking CGI which still look decent today (even though it now show some aging). I did manage to get a special edition DVD for 4 dollars brand new. If you're going to buy it, buy it cheap as it might not worth for some people and also be prepared to be bored a bit in the movie.

Karis Fra Mauro
03-10-2010, 02:21 AM
Never saw Advent children nor do I plan to. I was put off of the spirits within because it looked like really cool anime that was dubbed into english. I have different standards for things in english than I do stuff in anime. It was still cooler than Avatar at least.

Ctrl Alt DelBR
03-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Never saw Advent children nor do I plan to. I was put off of the spirits within because it looked like really cool anime that was dubbed into english. I have different standards for things in english than I do stuff in anime. It was still cooler than Avatar at least.
Wise guy. .

Gost12
03-11-2010, 02:01 PM
I personally didn't hate it thought it was great and enyoyed it a lot and hope they make more sometime in the future.

But If one think it is just didn't think it really felt like a final fantasy movie at all.

7Sins
03-30-2010, 05:57 PM
I agree with everyone that says it isn't a final fantasy movie. It's just ripping you off, besides that I really lost interest in Final Fantasy franchise things now. Ever since I opened up my eyes I HATE Final Fantasy games. They keep producing games for the money now. And they keep calling them Final Fantasy. For god sake it is not final. -_____-

LeonX
04-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Because there weren't any Chocobos :(
Don't know, I liked that one! It was a milestone!!

mochichama
11-28-2010, 01:42 AM
cuz its not a game?

Alupihan
11-28-2010, 05:25 AM
It was still cooler than Avatar at least.

BROFIST.jpg

MuffDiver99
11-28-2010, 04:20 PM
it's not final fantasy because it lacks the fantasy component. this is more like a sci-fi than pure fatasy.
this is probably similar to halo, gears of war, or any of those futuristic games.

I'd rather have the movie be called the spirits within than forcefully tagging the FF part onto the movie title.

7Sins
12-01-2010, 06:17 PM
it's not final fantasy because it lacks the fantasy component. this is more like a sci-fi than pure fatasy.
this is probably similar to halo, gears of war, or any of those futuristic games.

I'd rather have the movie be called the spirits within than forcefully tagging the FF part onto the movie title.

I agree, since they basically called the movie a final fantasy movie to rip us off. =/
So not fantasy and definitely not final. -____-

Alupihan
12-02-2010, 04:09 AM

they could at least rename it to PRODUCER'S FANTASY to give the movie a proper gratification, at least.

Reigner18
12-02-2010, 05:12 AM
um, perhaps it have something to do with uncanny valley

poonani007
01-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I actually liked it, the story was good, voice acting was cool but the most that impressed me was the stunning visuals! Taken at that time cmon people that were some pretty CGI for a movie, was something that i have never seen before. I give it 8/10

Asylum Cat
01-11-2011, 10:20 AM
People hated it 'cause it had the "Final Fantasy" title on it. The rest of their criticism is about the movie's plot.

I personally thought it was a solid Sci-Fi movie and was thoroughly entertained when Steve Buscemi's character got screen time. The action scenes were well done, as well as character expressions. The story wasn't the most original, but I found it quite good nevertheless and since it was the first time I had seen full CGI on the big screen, it added to the experience.

Bonebringer
01-12-2011, 05:49 PM
To me this was a movie with a lot of promise that fell short of it. Purely because of the 'Final Fantasy' label used to help market this film. It did not have any of the final fantasy aspects to it and was more of a stand alone film. It should simply of been called 'The Spirits Within' or some crap like that. Over all I didn't dislike the film and even own it myself. It just makes me sad as Square has been milking the Final Fantasy franchise far too much since then.

maberoci
01-27-2011, 02:19 AM
By the way... I dont like the movie effect. It's seem to be so simple screen hentai... it's not attract audience!!

KenTanaka
03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
I can't answe for everyone but to me I had these great expectations. Here I am playing the most aweomse games (yet to this date) and I hear that a movie is coming out? Sweet! And then I finally get to watch it, going in I had no idea what it was going to be about since I intentionally stayed away from finding out the plot/watching trailers so that it all would come to me at once, all the greatness...and then....meh. It was a avarge, nothing special, sci-fi movie.

Also as people have stated, the whole thing didn't even feel like Final Fantasy. It would be easier to name the movie after some space shooter game, cause thats what I felt like it was based on. There where nothing, no hint or wave at the Final Fantasy fans (except mabye Dr Sid?).

shintai_88
05-16-2011, 04:21 AM
I actually liked this, the first time i saw it was in a cinema in canada after my 7-8 hour flight. Just got to my relatives home, and my uncles took us to watch this. Was falling asleep because we were knackered. but all in all it was a good movie. the CGi looked so real.

rental
05-23-2011, 03:28 AM
yeh, it wasn't really true to it.