PDA

View Full Version : Wireless + DSL?

jokemasterslifer
08-18-2010, 12:13 PM
I swear, I'm always being called a genius, but I'm not even close. Anyways, my Mom's boyfriend is moving next door, and he wants to use our Internet. Problem is, I don't feel really good about the idea of stretching a long Ethernet Cord over the tops of our trailers, especially since we get opossums and cats up there some times. You can connect a wireless router to your modem so someone else can use it can't you? And I have a 2wire modem, so do I need a 2wire router for this?

Vegeta773
08-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Yep you can. Just plug a Wireless Router to the RJ45/Ethernet of your modem. You just need to config it well.

bobuild01
08-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Model number of your modem? I use a 2wire 1000SW.
If your "modem" is a 1000SW then it is a gateway/modem which already has wireless built in. ATT sells a newer version for around $72 that is also wireless capable with a better broadcasting reach. I believe I saw one on ebay recently for a little less. If the tag says HomePortal it will be ready to go. The bigger issue is what card your neighbor uses for access. I use a Netgear WG311T pci in a system about 50 ft. away and it works great. Grandson can connect from about 100 ft with his new dell laptop.
Or just add a router like you asked. In a trailer I would place it near a window though.

smokeraven
08-30-2010, 11:52 PM
You can also contact your ISP to see if they have a wireless internet receiver they can provide you with, although from first hand experience, they're not that great for speed and connectivity