PDA

View Full Version : Oldboy

Phrozenkrew
04-09-2005, 02:23 AM
I'm going to cry, actually, thats a bit misleading because in actuality, i already have....i just learn'd that theyre going to remake this in the states, thats a horrible thing to do to a movie this good. why cant they just let it be one of the good forign films, it would do fine on its own with american audiences. no one had to remake 'crouching tiger..' or 'hero', they knew those movies would do fine on thier own. same goes for alot of forign films. so why take the time to butcher one of the best? why cant they just throw it in theaters, use some big words americans wont understand to describe it, and dumb down the subtitles so they can read them. it would make just as much money, and it wouldnt suck...betweent this and 'my sassy girl' im not sure i can take it, i'm ganna need some time to grieve. maybe korea can reunite, and put a stop to the americanisation threating their cinema

Unit1Evangelion
04-09-2005, 02:52 AM
.......you know they are remaking Infernal Affairs too rite? they are also supposed to be remaking Time and Tide along with a few others......america has run out of ideas....why you think they are making all these horror flicks.....notice that they are almost all the same and/or they are remaking the japanese ones? kinda lame aint it

Phrozenkrew
04-09-2005, 05:08 AM
random, i heard about infernal affairs since posting the first time. Scorsese's doing it, not sure how i feel about it. as for the japanese horror, they're just taking the top grossing movies, hoping the trend will follow suit. dont get me wrong, i dont like the idea of any of the remakes, oldboy was just the straw that broke the camals back...

KlashedKii
04-09-2005, 05:12 AM
Normally I'd say to give Hollywood a chance & that not all remakes are bad even though they have a tendency to be. Then I would list how A Fistful of Dollars & Casablanca were remakes that established a legacy in thier genres. But I'd be lying my ass off unless I said that the USA could be able to impressively redo a movie like Oldboy. I wonder what his name over here will be,"Dasu-O?" I can already see the miscasting & butchering left n' right. I wonder how thier going to work around the incest themes of the movie especially, it will probably be reworked into an "INTENSE HEART POUNDING LOVE TALE OF SUSPENSE YOU'D NEVER BELIEVE!"

Oh & Unit the US is running out of ideas but thier not out yet. Let's see how this final Star Wars comes out before making judgements on the US so soon.

KlashedKii
04-09-2005, 05:22 AM
Scorsese's never directed a bad movie has he?

Phrozenkrew
04-09-2005, 10:29 AM
yeah, i've liked many american adaptations, Last man standing for instance, i really enjoy'd, regardless how many people have rank'd it amoung the 5 worst movies they've ever seen. but this recent list of hollywood remakes is just insulting.
The ring i didnt mind so much, since i didnt think ringu was that great, and they were just following the box-office gross it pulled in. and while i'd like to, i can hold anything against 'the grudge' since it was Shimizu butchering his own movie.

but your right, i dont think americans are ready for oldboy, they're ganna call it pointless'ly voilent, and be offend by the insestual theme's.
i dont think hollywood is out of ideas, alot of good movies still come out of hollywood. the machinist and sincity to mention a couple...actually i cant think of anymore, but i know they're there. but eppisode 3, is hardly a 'new' idea :)

and no, schorsese's never done too bad.

Unit1Evangelion
04-09-2005, 12:24 PM
see in the american's eyes, they won't see a normal old man as oldboy. they will put some strong ass guy or a martial artist in there and make rediculous fight scenes out of it.

the american version of the ring was terrible. that was the first time EVER i have fallen asleep or even thought about falling asleep in a movie theater......hell i stayed throughout the whole movie of texas chainsaw massicure which i tried walking out of 3 times. stupid friends and the hot ass girl with boobies.

as for star wars......its not an orginal idea. like i said.....all the ideas are gone. star wars is just another part of the saga. last part, thankfully at that. it looks good but so did eps 1 and 2. only problem is.....when you saw it, it made you want to cry and say "WHY!!!!! WHY DID I PAY FOR THIS!!!!" in both movies anikan(sp?) messed up the movie royally. he couldn't act. eps 1 he was annoying, eps 2 couldn't act and niether could anyone else at that. eps 3 im afraid to even watch. the ideas were there. lucus just screwed up on making them good.

KlashedKii
04-09-2005, 03:36 PM
It's not as hard to come up with new ideas as it is to make new concepts. You can't knock Lucas just yet either because if he written the Indiana Jones series then he must be deserving of a 3rd chance especially considering the fact that if this is his last Star Wars movie, I doubt he'd want to **** up again.

Phrozenkrew
04-09-2005, 03:57 PM
actually, now that i think about it, starwars is more on topic then it seems,seeing as how the first one(epp4), at least storytelling and cinematography wise, was inspired by kurosawa.

somehow i doubt were going to see any kurosawa influence in epp3.

rydiker
04-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Scorsese has never done a bad film? Just one look at Boxcar Bertha makes anyone change his/her opinion abot Scorsese's "greatness".

Lucas has done only one film of any real value and that is THX1138 before sinking in the sea of money-making machines.

Naah, I don't have any interest to watch these recent americanized remakes of good films nor do I really care. I just stick to the originals.

KlashedKii
04-15-2005, 12:31 AM
Ok I'll correct my statement rydiker, most things post Taxi Driver directed by Scorsese are among the best of the best.

Nanj
04-15-2005, 04:38 AM
Yes this is a travesty. I absolutely hate remakes. Not only these remakes of Asian movies but also the slew of completely tactless 'reworks' of old classic horror movies from the 1950s+ there has been in recent years.

Oldboy as it is, is a brilliant movie. There is nothing about it that calls for it to be remade (and probably dumbed down) for an American audience.
It's slick and well shot, great camerawork, style etc. Looks very polished - you can tell it had a decent production budget. It wasn't at all hard to follow the subtitles. It's fine the way it is.

Asian Producers/Directors like all filmmakers are out to make money. Breaking Hollywood is a surefire way to make it, even if it calls for their movies to be remade to fit the audience. This, in the past has not been a good thing. Look what happened to the quality of John Woo films when he started working for the US market.

If it means that more indipendant films will get made after the money is made in Hollywood then it is a good thing. And also a lot of people will want to see the originals after seeing the reamakes, and will see how much better they are like what happened with Ring.

- My random rants.

gwynplaine
06-01-2005, 09:19 PM
.......you know they are remaking Infernal Affairs too rite? they are also supposed to be remaking Time and Tide along with a few others......america has run out of ideas....why you think they are making all these horror flicks.....notice that they are almost all the same and/or they are remaking the japanese ones? kinda lame aint it

Do you have a link to the Time and Tide news? Great movie for anyone who hasn't seen it btw, it does the contrasting colors a lot subtler and artsier than Traffic and the action is decent. Liked it a lot more than Oldboy (the melodrama was comical) and I haven't seen Infernal Affairs yet... gotta download it.

creamsoda
07-05-2005, 03:25 AM
I liked Oldboy, expecially the corridor fight scene. It's one of my favorites. I don't think the American remake will be as good though.... I hate american remakes

superemu
07-05-2005, 04:55 PM
I don't see why it can't be done. Americans have remade many movies that turned out great.
Old boy could be one of them. There wasn't too many things in Oldboy that made it "Korean". very little reference to our culture. Americans should have no problem picking it up. Sure you'll end up watching a story about Jack Hollywood with his daughter Jane, but there is no reason why it can't tell the story with the same emotion and acting.

I suppose I fear the movie will end up being PG-13 to bring in money instead of R and be true.. but I say we should wait and see where it goes.

WorthZero
07-06-2005, 11:31 PM
i saw oldboy that had a panel discussion after the movie and they said there were rumors that mell gibson might play o dae su. makes sense considering mell's into torture and stuff. but im definately against a remake. itll most likely be watered down. the twist at the end will be something like he had sex with his daughter's best friend or something. :P

Debiruman
07-07-2005, 10:59 AM
I can understand that someone would like to remake an old movie with actual screenplay, special effects etc...

But in the case of Old Boy, it's an absolute non-sense, the movie is modern, there's nothing to change, the screenplay is good, it doesn't look "cheap", anybody could be able to like this movie the way it is right now, why making a remake, just because it's with asian actors ?

US people isn't able to understand and appreciate a foreign movie ?

That's quite weird from one of the most mixed population of the world, no country could understand the wealth of the different cultures more than the USA, which is made of many different cultures, but strangley, it's the opposite, it looks that USA can't appreciate something which isn't "americanized" lol

debiru
07-15-2005, 09:32 PM
americans ( in my opinion ) ( well , the majority of them ) dont really understand alota cultures other than theirs....and i think the only culturaly diversed area is New York....like if u go to New Jersey , tat place is packed full of caucasians , if u go to anywhere in New York , its pretty much very culturaly and racialy diversed.....coz i remember we had a social study lessons on cultures and alot of my classmates dont agree that they had to learn about other cultures these days.... so yea , alota americans realy dont bother to learn about other cultures other than theirs.... and yea , i think u got tat "americanized" thing right.... noticed why only america loves rugby ( well american rugby...lol..maybe coz its called american rugby O_o ) or why they're the only one who loves baseball ( i know japan does but tats just 2 countries ) well...if tat dont convince u then why the hell does cars in america made to drive left hand-sided while the majority of the rest of the world's doin it right-handed ....( last point ) and why doesnt america appreciate soccer more O_o and WHY do they CALL it soccer......well actual "football" is apreciated by the whole world , it IS the no.1 sport in the world afterall and the world cup's the biggest event next to the olympics...

oh yea one more thing....why r u Debiruman T_T im debiru T_T

michelous
07-15-2013, 11:28 AM
redband trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8gpi44y4TU

Alupihan
07-24-2013, 06:23 AM
redband trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8gpi44y4TU

that's its hollywood franchise importers.

I'm fucking done with you!

evilkorpse
12-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Well the movie flopped.....
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-03/spike-lee-oldboy-opens-at-no.18-with-us%241.28-million