PDA

View Full Version : Madlax vs Noir

carlanox
08-31-2004, 04:03 AM
Well, i like them both :)

kikori
08-31-2004, 07:30 AM
Madlax or Noir? The answer is... yes. :)

HongFire
08-31-2004, 07:42 AM
noir was ok abit weired and slow. madlax first ep was good then end up slowed down abit. tho i am not quite sure now coz i only watched few eps and didn't have time to watch more.

DirtyFinger
08-31-2004, 10:45 AM
only watched the first two episodes of madlax. doesn't look to interesting and the fact that the girly no 1 dresses up in a nightgown in the middle of a jungle, just so she can shoot guns more elegantly (i.e. without even looking) sucks.

Noir, well, nice action. The only REALLY REALLY good part about noir was the soundtrack by yuki kajiura. Madlax soundtrack is so-so.

The_guy
08-31-2004, 03:51 PM
I never watched noir so i cant say but plz give madlax another chance it gets better after a few eps. the first and second is a little weird and i agree that the animators could have done a better beginning.

kikori
08-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Agreed. Once the story starts to come together, Madlax gets quite good. Yuki Kajiura did the soundtrack for it as well... give it another listen. :)

Uninformed
08-31-2004, 04:23 PM
the fact that the girly no 1 dresses up in a nightgown in the middle of a jungle, just so she can shoot guns more elegantly (i.e. without even looking) sucks. Funny, that's one of the things that I liked about Madlax :D

I haven't watched any Noir so I can't make an informed comment about it.

DirtyFinger
08-31-2004, 06:10 PM
Noir is a chicks-with-guns anime located in france. The heroines are assassins, one of them looks 14 years old and is amnesiac. And a crackshot, of course.
The name Noir is usually given to a special pair of assassins of a secret organization called Soldats (which is neither a french, german or english word, although it probably was supposed to be german), but they called themselves like that for the same reason others call themselves Zelda or Conan. Of course it turns out they are connected to Soldats, else there wouldn't be much point to it.
Story ? Plot ? Well, kinda, but it's really a bit shallow, although they try to hide that behind the Great Conspiracy scenario. Think soap opera with assassins and plenty of action which is usually very well choreographed. I really recommend the first episode for the I'm-such-a-cool-sad-killer-babe factor.

Top notch soundtrack, I can't repeat that often enough.
Try 'Salva Nos' for hmm, hard to describe, gothic industrial,
'Le grand retour' for a powerful piece of esoteric world music,
'Gensou Rakuen' or 'Lullaby' or beautiful ballads and
'Canta per me' for, er, something different.

carlanox
08-31-2004, 11:37 PM
well both of them are made by the same director, same voice insert company and most important is both ost are made by the same person Yuki Kajiura.

nick64
09-01-2004, 02:11 AM
ok, between Noir and madlax, i would choose Noir. Though there are pretty similar to one another, Noir gets my vote because:

- Better stylish action (and mroe of them)
- Better told story (at the moment, im up to episode 19 of Madlax)
- Better characters (i was mroe interested in Mirielle's background more than Madlax's)

however, Madlax does beat up Noir in several factors, mainly being:

- Very few flashbacks
- Faster pacing

atm, Noir over Madlax... oh and kirika is sexy

Uninformed
09-01-2004, 02:59 AM
*adds Noir to shopping list* Thanks for the info, guys :)

carlanox
09-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Madlax 21 and 22 out..hip hip hurray :D:D:D

carlanox
09-08-2004, 06:59 AM
Madlax 23 out...hip hip hurray again :D:D:D:D

eMKa
01-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Noir>Madlax

Alve
01-19-2005, 03:50 AM
Flashbacks are one of the best things in Noir. Perfect made ;)

Well, it's hard to describe it for me (especially in english :o), but I will try because Noir is my favorite anime.
I like personalities of Noir's characters. Their behavior, decisions (many of them very difficult and sad) and causes for it. Plot is most a background for that for me.
Qeustions as if merciless killing of guilty peoples is ok, or to be precise if hartred can save peoples.
Flashbacks, soundtrack and "free" time to enjoy it and think about it (I see it as plus, not as bad thing).
If I have to make a summary, I love Noir's feeling.

At the other side, I don't like parts where is too much action and/or corpses (I don't like action at all).

But I don't know Madlax, if it's similar I will try it of course :D

Edit: I found info about Madlax, it seems it's similar most in parts what I don't like, or I'm wrong ? :O/

Ky Kyske
01-21-2005, 10:56 AM
While NOIR was awesome, Madlax, on the other hand, was so so.
madlax, in my opinion, starts out very promising. It has cool and stylized action scene and mysterious feeling in it (just like noir). But it's story telling method was kinda weird.

*spoiler*

After 10 episode, it becomes awfully tedious and more focused on "the book" and Enfan. Then come Firstary, Secondary and Thirdstary... i was like, "what the heck ?". I cant understand the story direction anymore and totally lost.

*spoiler end*

Overall ..Madlax has good animation and very good OST. It's a worth watching anime.

orka
01-21-2005, 11:06 AM
I think Noir had a much more intriguing story than Madlax, and Noir had a stylistic flair that Madlax lacked.

ShaDrag
01-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Aw, Im watching Madlax now...but it seems that everyone thinks Noir was better. Peronsally I wasn't very entertained by Noir. The music was good, the animation was good, but the story was a bit slow and lacking for me. I was hoping Madlax would better, but I guess I'll see soon enough.

Shabadage
02-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Noir will remain one of my Favorites, of course Dual is my other favorite, so I know I'm not in the majority.

gundamjehutykai
02-05-2005, 01:54 PM
I thought that madlax started off stronger than noir and fixed some of it's problems. Like less recap moments and having a score that was fast paced for the action scenes (as much as I love canta per me and salva nos, I felt that they didn't really fit with the action well, forcing the scenes to follow a very fake tempo).

but by the end of Madlax, noir is still better. The complete nonsense near the end of madlax really made me want to stop watching.

Veniogenesis
02-05-2005, 03:11 PM
I say Noir > Madlax personally. Kirika has always been one of my two favorite characters
of anime. Though Madlax and Margaret ranks up there on my list as well, I thought the
anime lacked the style of Noir. Noir had a more developed tone and the story was great
in my opinion. Madlax was excessive and pretentious, which was the kind of style
Avenger had. The mix of computer generated swirls throughout Madlax also put me off.
The animation was great, but Noir's choreography was better.

My 2 cents. ^_^
Cheers,
Venio

Helix
02-05-2005, 07:20 PM
I thought that madlax started off stronger than noir and fixed some of it's problems. Like less recap moments and having a score that was fast paced for the action scenes (as much as I love canta per me and salva nos, I felt that they didn't really fit with the action well, forcing the scenes to follow a very fake tempo).

but by the end of Madlax, noir is still better. The complete nonsense near the end of madlax really made me want to stop watching.

I love both canta per me and salva regardless of the scene. I personally didn't mind the recap. I thought it was suppose to add to the intensity of what happened in the past.

i agree with the whole nonsense thing. I had difficulty understanding the whole thing near the end. I had an unexpected stop and never finished the series.

i only picked up the series because of yuki kajiura but even the ost was unmoving and definitely not up to par with .hack or noir

Mikeido
02-06-2005, 06:19 AM
Boo hiss, I get to be the minority an throw tomatoes at everyone :p

...What do you mean it works the other way around? Ah no, lol

I had difficulty understanding the whole thing near the end. I had an unexpected stop and never finished the series.

Good. What? I always say nothing's for everyone, just a shame the everyone it's not for seems to be present here in some form or other, lol. Madlax has it's complexities in many different ways and the plot isn't simple and straightforward. For someone like myself who followed it through and both understood an appreciated the plot, when ADV liscenced it 1 episode before finishing, thereby stopping fan-subbers at least for a couple weeks, I'd run through, analysed and thought over the plot to such an extent that - in thinking I wouldn't get the last episode for maybe a couple years when ADV can be bothered to remember they have the series - I devised my own theory on how it all ended with the minnimal aid of the ep 25 ending previewer of the elusive ep. 26. Finally got ep. 26 and it was basically exactly how I thought it should finish, only more emotional and excellent than I had thought up.

My point being it will make you stop and think about things. An if you do, you can quite easilly understand the plot. Though if the pacing / ideals are too slow or complicated, with answers not being gratified quickly enough, then it will likely feel odd as you don't really understand what's happening. It's already left you behind and isn't going to loop back on itself again to recap, try something with a lighter plot next time.

i only picked up the series because of yuki kajiura but even the ost was unmoving and definitely not up to par with .hack or noir

Well, wow, lol. Good thing I know what an opinion is because personally, an this is just personally so don't eat me :p throughout the entire Noir OST, the only thing that grabs me and sticks is Salva Nos. An that's probably because she sounds like a professional opera singing friend of mine, I always picture her singing it, hehe. Other then that, even Canta Per Me doesn't sound that special to me, though now I flick through them, Romance is attractive in it's own stylised little way but still. The real test of how good an ost is depends on how well it can stand on its own, without any propping up from the series emotion for effect. Just personally but the Noir OSTs are far from a defining point in Yuki Kajiura's discography and often sound very flat or lifeless. Sorrow's 2 minutes 47 of looping a single musical bar, not the most striking of emotional pieces to say the least.

Madlax's osts are far more mature in style and composition, using different genres, tempos and a wider array of instruments on the same line to create a far more emotional sound regardless of whether that's chaos, speed, sadness or action. An much as I like both, "nowhere" makes Salva Nos look like it was composed whilst sleeping :p. That's not so much a matter of opinion as obvious comparison, if you were to break down both tracks into their seperate composition layers, nowhere would easilly have far more tabs of seperate composition melodies that when put back together sound far more unique and stunning whether it's part of an anime ost or not. I don't even see the anime when I listen to Madlax osts anymore except for a few key moments on a few tracks, otherwise I visualise the seperate levels of the sound and enjoy them for that complexity.

I'm ranting now though an think I'll leave it around here with the clarification that nothing's for everyone and Madlax (apparently) created quite a niche audience. Or perhaps it's just the comparing it to Noir, I hate comparing things to other things as it doesn't show either for what they're really worth :p. An the whole thing about her wearing dresses...I see that everywhere and it annoys me no less every time. At first glance it is perhaps odd, but one thing about that character is though she kills, she isn't the cliche hardass angsty emo killer and though the people she gets close to usually die, she likes to be romantic and stylish. Can't deny her that just because she also kills people for a living now, can we? If there's anything wrong with it, it's how soon that distinction is brought in. In general, MADLAX will really throw you in the deep end of things an drag you over to the shallow with time, but it's how long that time takes and whether you know why you're even in the water that will make or break the series.

...Sorry, I've recently been finishing off a review of the series and all the random crap I said about it keeps resurfacing in my head.

Disclaimer: All thoughts, comments, distinctions and opinions stated herein are entirely personal and in no way intended to offend or degrade another opinion or give cause for eating of the user in any sense for these views. Thank you.

albazero
02-06-2005, 12:15 PM
noir was the better built;; but madlax was pretty good as well

i personally love noir cause it has my favorite gun the beretta m1934 :D

Neko516
02-06-2005, 12:53 PM
I think NOIR is better. Sure 'sometimes' the story was slow, but it didn't bored me.

Sage
02-16-2005, 11:53 AM
I agree... Noir totally rules!

Xebi
02-16-2005, 03:18 PM
I watched one episode of madlax and it's kinda sad that it's partialy a Noir-clone.
And everyone knows clone's can't be as perfect as the original.

Noir just has a way better story, wich is my top favourite all time even now still, the characters are cool and have a nice background wich makes it quite mysterious.
I'm not really a person of action mostly, though it can be cool, but I gotta say the action in Noir is awesome, blood could finish it up but I'm glad they kept it quite clean ^^
Also the music on Noir is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better, same Yuki Kajiura, only in Noir it had more emotion.

All in all, Noir overules Madlax, ain't saying Madlax is bad, just not as good as Noir;)

AzureWolf
02-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Madlax seemed like a tribute to Noir, IMO. It's Bee Train again, girls with guns, and Yuki Kajiura. But unlike Noir, everything wasn't solid/complete. Everything made sense in Noir, whereas in Madlax, things were very abstract. In fact, they didn't explain everything that needed to be explained (like what made Ms. Burton more special than other people such that she could do that?).

Noir was more personal, concrete, and so you could relate to it better, and get into it more. Madlax tries too hard to be something else, and leaves the viewer in the dust.

So, Noir = touching, personal, emotional, and logical
Madlax = impersonal, abstract, wtf-ing (aka alienating), and illogical

But still, I love both series to death. ^^

hello123456
02-19-2005, 05:23 AM
theyre both pumped in their own ways i reckon. the noir op is annoying tho

Kyoshiro-mibu
08-25-2005, 06:42 AM
Mireille and Kirika are both HOT! Noir > Madlax by a long shot