PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Myanmar.

V666p
03-24-2011, 09:50 AM
A 6.8 magnitude earthquake has struck Myanmar. No report on the number of casualties yet, but it sounds like there might be a lot.

(CNN) -- A powerful earthquake hit Myanmar Thursday near its borders with China, Thailand and Laos, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The quake hit in eastern Myanmar, about 55 miles (89 km) north of Chiang Rai, Thailand, the survey reported.

It had a magnitude of 6.8, the survey said, revising the estimate down from an initial reading of 7.0.

A second quake hit about half an hour later, with a preliminary magnitude of 4.8, the USGS said.

Myanmar, which is also known as Burma, has been badly hit by natural disasters in the past few years.

A powerful cyclone in 2008 left an estimated 100,000 people dead, and another one two years later left 70,000 people homeless, the United Nations estimates.

It was roughly comparable in magnitude and depth to last year's Haiti earthquake, which measured 7.0. More than 200,000 people died in the Haiti earthquake, and millions were affected.

That quake's center was only 9 miles below the surface and near congested population centers. Scientists said if the quake had been centered deeper down, the damage would not have been as severe.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/24/myanmar.quake/index.html

Damn, don't these poor people have enough problems to deal with?

wysiwyg
03-24-2011, 10:48 AM
True, but since no foreign aid workers or media is allowed to enter Birma this is the only message you will probably hear about it.
No money for the "aid Industry" means not interrested !

nougamineuro
03-24-2011, 05:13 PM
No tsunami, at least. Fallen buildings and house, I guess. Is someone here from Myanmar or knows a bit about the country? News would be great.
Btw: this earthquake has nothing to do with Japan's.

solarenemy
03-24-2011, 06:03 PM
With all the recent shaking of the tectonic plates, those living in California may want to move. All this shaking may cause the San Andreas fault to break loose and drop Cali right into the ocean...:) For get Tsunami threats, Cali will just drop right off the edge of the US. Seriously though, even though some say not related they could be.
Since Japan is still shaking, you can't help but expect those vibrations to make it to other plates. Depending on how long it has been since those other faults have moved, some of the these vibrations could cause them to give as well. Especially since they are concentrated on the Ring of Fire.

Tuyet Phong
03-24-2011, 07:09 PM
uhm just wondering, is that 2012 thing still true? I mean, with all the earthquake and tsunami stuffs................. It starts to feel like the movie

solarenemy
03-24-2011, 07:24 PM
The date 2012 is only significant in the fact that the Mayans died before they could make calendars past that point. The earthquakes have been expected some time since plate tectonics have been quite around the world for much longer then expected. Keep in mind the Super Volcano in the US is also way over due for an eruption as well. So these are all just natural occurrences of the Earth letting off pressure. Humans just happen to be in the way and have bet their luck they won't get it by the big one.

Rick Hunter
03-24-2011, 07:35 PM
the 2012 doomsday is a very loose prophecy.

Scientifically, there would be a celestial alignment happening on that year, (december 5, 2012 from this article] (http://365daysofastronomy.org/2009/12/05/december-5th-the-celestial-alignment-of-2012/)
and this one
http://divinecosmos.com/forums/showthread.php?2058-2012-Celestial-Alignment

soooo, because of that, it is predicted that all hell will break loose!

If you're talking of prediction, there are lots, based on the mayan calendar.

Karis Fra Mauro
03-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Fairly middling earthquake as far as such things go, I doubt anybody would pay much attention except for everything else already happening. 25 folks dead was what I last heard, or probably about as many die on any given day in the junta's torture palaces. I notice there haven't been any threads about the death of Elizabeth Taylor. Good. Now if only the BBC would demonstrate a similar measure of awareness of what is or is not important as Hongfire. I'm feeling sulky after discovering they're canceling their Politics UK and Europe Today programs along with remaking their technology program Digital Planet.

solarenemy
03-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Fairly middling earthquake as far as such things go, I doubt anybody would pay much attention except for everything else already happening. 25 folks dead was what I last heard, or probably about as many die on any given day in the junta's torture palaces. I notice there haven't been any threads about the death of Elizabeth Taylor. Good. Now if only the BBC would demonstrate a similar measure of awareness of what is or is not important as Hongfire. I'm feeling sulky after discovering they're canceling their Politics UK and Europe Today programs along with remaking their technology program Digital Planet.

I guess you missed this one.....https://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303654

Hayeate
03-24-2011, 11:16 PM
uhm just wondering, is that 2012 thing still true? I mean, with all the earthquake and tsunami stuffs................. It starts to feel like the movie

Yep, pretty true. In 2012 angel awakes in antarctica, we're all fucked unless a bunch of retarded teenagers with mommy issues save us.

Kyokugen Master
03-24-2011, 11:53 PM

Regardless, global circumstances are getting pretty damn scary

DK3411
03-25-2011, 09:02 PM
The only problem is that this time, the earthquake occurs in a country controlled by a military junta and its people are poor (except for those serving within or related to those in the junta).

There's a big difference in terms of capacity to deal with natural disasters as well as social maturity between Japan and Myanmar.

I won't be surprised if looting etc happens there as an aftermath to the disaster.

Alysia Night
03-26-2011, 02:16 AM
I agree there had some similitude about the 2012/earthquake/tsunami and the war with some prophecy but I'm not superstitious.

Don't let the anxiety and fear control us.

Like I always said :

Wait and See ^^

xavierJ
03-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Natural disaster was not unknown to man, fortunately for the people of Myanmar, the earthquake experienced was not a severe.2 earthquakes (http://www.newsytype.com/5071-earthquakes-burma-myanmar/) in the afternoon of Thursday, March 24. Near the border of China and Thailand, the two earthquakes occurred almost simultaneously.