PDA

View Full Version : Laptop using Dead Battery (Leave it plugged or take it out?)

Otaku Ichise
03-25-2011, 10:02 AM
I got a battery with 4 years already dead, should i leave it on a laptop? wont it cause probs for hardware later?

Its Acer Aspire 9300 http://www.laptopbatterysell.com/aspire-9300-series-battery-148v-4400mah-p-3908.html

Is it dangerous having a dead battery pluged on laptop? been having doubt, let it stay or take it out? wich could be better... :bored:

sailabc1
03-27-2011, 03:37 AM
If it's been dead for a good 4 years of course leakage can damage things eventually like in everything else. In fact if it's been DEAD for 4 years how long has it been in use in total?? :nowai: I think you're lucky your battery lasted this long without actually beginning to leak (this is assuming you're sure the battery is totally dead)!

hypercross
03-27-2011, 09:19 AM
my battery actually lasted for only 1 year and then it leaked, yeah i would like to know about this too, in my case i always plug the charger without the battery when i'm in my room, so is this a safe thing to do?

AnaheimElectric
03-28-2011, 10:35 PM
ok ppl, the proper way to maintain your batteries is to use up every last bit of juice it has and then plug it in and charge up completely. do this once a month at least. its best to do it every time you use the battery but it's impractical.

if it's confirmed dead then don't keep it plugged in, electrons aren't going anywhere worst case scenario it'll start to leak due to a build up.

Otaku Ichise
03-29-2011, 06:43 AM
It died recently, so it makes 4 years of life, i call it dead when battery no longer works (meaning it only will charge for hours but wont be usable at all) and wont show green light signal anymore.

So yeah removed already as i was thinking it could be dangerous and realy doing nothing there too now.

shiracld
03-29-2011, 07:16 AM
ok ppl, the proper way to maintain your batteries is to use up every last bit of juice it has and then plug it in and charge up completely. do this once a month at least. its best to do it every time you use the battery but it's impractical.

if it's confirmed dead then don't keep it plugged in, electrons aren't going anywhere worst case scenario it'll start to leak due to a build up.

i dont think the once a month bit is good
but yes resetting the battery once in a while is definitely a good idea
i hardly use my laptops with batts anymore tho
everytime i fiind a outlet i plugin and remove the batt

HoroTheWolf
04-05-2011, 08:15 PM
I would leave the battery in the laptop since they have a tiny bit of charge left so if you accidentally unplug the ac power cord, it doesn't shut off right away. :P
My laptop battery only lasts about 5 minutes unplugged but I got this laptop for free from a friend whose brother broke it and I was able to fix it ^^.

Gost12
04-14-2011, 07:26 PM
My battery last around 4 to 6 months dame bad batters now at best get about 1 -10% charge and don't think it does any harm to leave it just keep and eye on it to make sure.

LK89
04-19-2011, 04:53 AM
having battery attach or not has no different if the battery is dead.. kindly removed it to avoid unnecessary problems..

TheShadow
04-20-2011, 03:25 AM
it doesn't matter, but i suggest you remove it instead of keep charging in case

darkandshadow
04-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Contrary to everybody else, leave it in. Just have a piece
of tape over the contacts so no charge is going into the
battery itself; for aesthetics purposes, and to keep extra dirt
out as well.

solarenemy
04-20-2011, 08:06 PM
On most laptops the battery compartment is isolated from the rest of the unit so in the event of leakage other components wont be damaged. So the issue with dirt or other stuff entering while the battery is out is not an issue. What is an issue is the charger circuit is designed to see the battery as a load and to keep it charged. If the battery is dead then the charger is going to always try to charge the battery this will be a strain on the charger and possibly damage it. My Compaq laptop is in this condition. Even with a new battery it will think the battery is charged 100% but once unplugged may last 10 minutes. The charger just is not strong enough to charge a battery any longer due to me leaving the original dead battery in it for years.

I am not saying you are wrong for trying to be different than other poster Darkandshadow. But from experince I know it is better to remove the battery and leave it out as soon as it shows signs of no longer holding a charge. If nothing else to avoid damaging the charger.

As for aesthetics, if the laptop works who the hell cares? Most onlookers won't even notice if the battery is present or not.

ZunXenos
04-20-2011, 08:21 PM
I think every time the battery has 1-3 years .. after that the ability of the laptop battery it will start to decline .. possible that the battery can be recharged but just minutes away (about 5-10 minutes) the computer runs out of battery .. if you frequently use your laptop outside the house, my advice should you buy a new battery

If the battery is damaged you leave it installed there, the battery serves as a backup if the electricity suddenly dead .. (maybe when you do chores, all of a sudden power failure then any unsaved data to be saved thanks to the battery even though only about 5-10 minutes ..), while the disadvantage is the battery temperature increases and resulted in more rapid decreases its ability

If the battery is damaged you off and separate from your laptop .. profits are Leaving the battery at low temperatures, thus slowing the aging process battery .. while the disadvantage is data can be lost or damaged even if without power from the battery backup function and loss of use of battery backup when power power failure

so I think to use a laptop in a long time (> 5 h) better battery removed / separated from the laptop to extend battery life due to continuous cast

to use batteries, we must avoid the heat because it is not good for your laptop battery .. Use until exhausted is not good for battery. Should do the refilling when it reaches the level of 10-20%.. Now depends on how how to care for the goods you use ..

darkandshadow
04-20-2011, 08:31 PM
@Solar: Hence the piece of tape over the conductors. No
charge can go through, thereby preventing any kind of
"mishap" with the charger/battery.

As for the battery itself being damaged, there is no mention
of it from OP.

Aesthetics, to some it doesn't matter, but it is of opinion.

solarenemy
04-20-2011, 08:40 PM
On a compaq you cant put tape over the contacts as they are hidden between plastic blades that line up with plastic blades inside the laptop. Tape would prevent the battery from seating properly or even fitting in.

Keep in mind that every laptop has a different battery design so covering the contacts may not be an option.

But in the end is up to the OP to make the choice. If it where me I would just remove the battery to prevent it from leaking or damaging the charger. It is cheaper to replace the battery then the laptop. Unless you are skilled enough to replace or repair the charger module if it gets damaged.

hypercross
04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
so the only way is to buy a new battery?
mine's leaked...

if i buy a new one, what's the best way to keep my battery from leaking?

darkandshadow
04-20-2011, 09:30 PM
so the only way is to buy a new battery?
mine's leaked...

if i buy a new one, what's the best way to keep my battery from leaking?

Then it was defective, and unfortunately, manufacturers
don't tend to have a battery warranty unless under extreme
circumstances.

The best way I found to keep a good, healthy battery life
with laptops, is to completely drain the battery on first use
(until the computer shuts down). Then let it charge overnight
and finally it's just simple wear and tear.

I generally try to tell people to turn their laptops off if they
are not going to use it for more than 3 hours, and for the
battery itself, just keep it plugged in, and if you can help it,
plugged into a surge protector.

phupost
04-21-2011, 08:47 AM
it doesn't matter but i think you should remove your battery out.

aphelia
09-04-2011, 06:18 PM
As long as the battery doesn't leak, there is a way (not sure-fire, but it helps) to get the batery to hold a charge again.

1. Once you've removed the battery tape over the contacts, then wrap the battery in a paper towel, or a small cloth.
2. Place the battery inside a plastic bag, one that it big enough for all of the battery to fit inside.
3. place the battery in your freezer, that's right, I said freezer, leave it there overnight.
4. when you wake up in the morning, get the battery out, unwrap it from the cloth, and wipe off any condensation.
5. leave the battery out in a dry place for 3-4 Hours, more if it's still very cold.
6. remove the tape over the contacts and then wipe them, if you can, with a tissue.
7. place the battery back into your laptop and let it charge until the charging indicator goes off.
8. power it back up and unplug it, if it doesn't shut off, it worked! if it doesn't then the battery is a lost cause.

I've tried this with around 5 laptop batteries, and only 2 of them worked, so there's a 40% chance of it working. However, be warned, this is only good to try with batteries that hold no charge whatsoever, otherwise if it still works you could end up damaging the battery.

Good luck!

ookosan
09-05-2011, 08:09 PM
My laptop is 3 years old, its series is HP Pallivion DV6500. One recently day, its battery was die, I could not charge it, the laptop likes a desktop PC, when I unplug the power, my computer will be turned off without shutting down. But when I use a alive battery to operate my computer for some minutes, then remove it and installed the die battery, the die battery was relived and operating untill now (for 1 month). that's wondderful