PDA

View Full Version : Japanese company introduces irresistibly cute mind-controlled 'cat ears' (w/ video)

johnblade
05-07-2011, 04:53 PM
http://cdn.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/2011/clipbdfgdoard-1.jpg

(PhysOrg.com) -- In a bit of science mixed with whimsy, a Japanese company has created a set of electromechanical cat ears that can be worn on the human head and manipulated with nothing but the mind. Called the necomimi (a combination of the Japanese words for cat and ear) and looking very much like the ears that come with a cat costume, the ears respond to thoughts or mood by means of a sensor on a second small band pressed against the forehead; they can stand straight up when the wearer is concentrating, or wriggle and turn slightly when amused, or lay flat when tired or bored, demonstrating what the company calls, an ability to reveal emotion.

The company, called Neurowear, demonstrated its new product in the “Smile Bazar”at Omotesando Hills, which it captured on video and displays on its site; and while the participants are clearly amused by the cat ears moving around, and there is much smiling and some laughing, it’s difficult to tell just how much control over the ears the wearers have. A natural question arises also as to whether people can get better at manipulating their ears if they wear them over time.
In spite of the gimmick quality of the necomimi, it’s obvious that the concept could have a more serious purpose, such as helping those with communication difficulties express themselves.

Also, a not so obvious part of the necomimi experience is the reaction of the people around the person wearing the ears; in the video, it’s impossible to not notice the looks of mirth on the faces of the people around, and, it’s difficult to not smile yourself as you watch the people in the video try on the device; their reactions, and the way the ears react combined with the expressions on their face, is actually rather profound, though it’s hard to say why. Whether it’s the cuteness factor, or a feeling that something is being conveyed by the person, albeit artificial ears, that you don’t generally see in any other way, there is something unique and sweet about the whole human/machine interaction that very clearly evokes something in others.
The necomimi is another in a long line of products that listen and respond to brain waves, and doubtless there will be many more, though what’ s not certain, is whether they will be nearly as cute.

Link
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-japanese-company-irresistibly-cute-mind-controlled.html

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w06zvM2x_lw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XznibGFPGHk&feature=related

Eagleheart
05-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Hopefully we'll be seeing other models like bunny ears.

Kamigoroshi
05-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Dunno about others, but... these ears are hideously ugly. And I'm still waiting for organic looking reptile tails or wings.

josewhiteheart
05-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Lol Japanese Idea is never plain I guess... Looking good for the first intro IMO...

Lord Zero
05-07-2011, 05:57 PM
They do look ugly, but the idea is great.

But why stop there ? A tail will surely follow.

Beam7 Network
05-07-2011, 06:29 PM
The concept is way too plain, I mean measuring wave patterns is just too broad and simple to give any real feeling of the mimetic aspect pertaining ears in cats, a better way to do it would be to measure the electrical activity on the facial nerve outflow, the main point is to get an aesthetical way to transduce without having to insert electrodes on people' faces. If you're simply measuring patterns, a person with altered physiological conditions, say, unhealthy stress levels will give off deviated readings, so the device will get all weirded out.

Anyhow, I don't like cat girls, so this is already weird enough to me as it is, I want functional collapsible wings. <3

05-07-2011, 06:34 PM
I'd prefer those chobit ears.

But I do like catgirls...

Alupihan
05-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Ladies and gentlemen...

THE FUTURE OF MODERN FASHION

DutchWitcher
05-07-2011, 08:17 PM
These girls dressed in bunny ears are sexy though
LMAO!!!
I look forward to games with these models

DutchWitcher
05-07-2011, 08:19 PM
They do look ugly, but the idea is great.

But why stop there ? A tail will surely follow.

Ugly? Wow
I can see well that you are a pretty picky peron
Those models are pretty
and the costumes they wear are creative too

I dont know y u call them ugly

nougamineuro
05-07-2011, 08:40 PM
What's the next step? Wings? Cause I wanna fly!!!

sf101
05-07-2011, 09:48 PM
I came

and spammed this thread. Come on cat girls!

YamiSouru MkIII
05-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Dunno about others, but... these ears are hideously ugly. And I'm still waiting for organic looking reptile tails or wings.

Kami you are the only person i have seen on the net with such fetish, i dont think that guys or girls find hot or sexy or kawaii a lizard tail. thought the wings are cool, maybe Bat wings or Pterodactyl wings or maybe Archeopteryx wings :P.

but i agree with Zero, they look weird,look at the ears of a cat and then see how they look and the angle and all, they have concavity those look plain flat with no depth and form, also they are not proportional they make a only size when in truth it need to be proportional to look better.

remember the truth and secret of beauty its the Symmetry. the more Symmetric the more we feel drawn or attracted to it. there its even a serious scientific study :P.

rawrasaurus
05-07-2011, 10:34 PM
they're too fluffy :shy:

Hayeate
05-07-2011, 11:28 PM
I wonder how far this technology progresses.

Ears? Cute. Tail? Meh. Snout? Time to pull out my burna.

blozzee
05-07-2011, 11:37 PM
and next would be mind controlled futa

Disillusional
05-08-2011, 05:21 AM

the people they chose to advertise it = also ugly ;3

DeathbyClown
05-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I have an unearthly urge to bite them and tear them apart with my teeth. I don't know why. Will be very interesting once they make a belt/tail to go along with it... heheheHAHAHAHA

Other thoughts:

LOOK AT THOSE FLUFFY NECOMIMI'S. THEY'RE SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE!

Ferrin
05-08-2011, 10:00 PM
if you ever wondered what humans where going to do with cosmetic genetics, there is your clue.

Alupihan
05-09-2011, 03:32 AM
if you ever wondered what humans where going to do with cosmetic genetics, there is your clue.

and they don't need to sign up on a contract to look just like QB.

:XD:

Disillusional
05-09-2011, 04:40 AM
actually this reminds me of this business that made chocolate flowers
looks like the ear o.o

Rico S
05-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Now Mint Blancmanche's cosplayers can realize her ears even more!

All hail Japanese technology!

Ferrin
05-09-2011, 05:10 AM
and they don't need to sign up on a contract to look just like QB.

:XD:
it wont be cheap, they will have to have a way to pay the bills.

Karis Fra Mauro
05-09-2011, 09:09 AM
With mass production the price should come down. It's true, they aren't nearly as awesome as they could be at this stage but it's early days. I have high hopes for this product. And while I wouldn't say I have a fetish for it the prospect of reptile tails or wings do get me curious.

YamiSouru MkIII
05-09-2011, 09:06 PM
With mass production the price should come down. It's true, they aren't nearly as awesome as they could be at this stage but it's early days. I have high hopes for this product. And while I wouldn't say I have a fetish for it the prospect of reptile tails or wings do get me curious.
i want a third eye that looks real so i could do properly a Ki Ko Hu and feel awesome while doing it, without the third eye feels empty or improper.

Karis Fra Mauro
05-10-2011, 12:45 AM
A third eye could incorporate some useful features. Say you close your two normal eyes, by looking out the third one you could see in a different part of the spectrum like infrared. That's still a way in the future though, a lot easier to have ears detect neural activity than have an attachment send signals through the optic nerve. Of course even without functionality it would be pretty wild cosplay.

Disillusional
05-10-2011, 11:46 AM
i would consider one if it was actually furry. Real or really realistic fur.

aquamarine
05-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Ugly? Wow
I dont know y u call them ugly

Because he has an opinion... suck it up and deal with it.

Karis Fra Mauro
05-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Maybe they went out of their way to make the presentation unappealing for safety reasons? This is Japan we're talking about after all. If it was some adorable loli modelling perfectly functional cat ears she probably would have been carried off by otaku after 2 seconds...

Ctrl Alt DelBR
05-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Ok, here's a good reason to ban burqas.

Not really

Haika
05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
so if this can be done with the mind... i cant wait till the military gets it's hands on it and makes a exo-skeleton suit ;3