PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Vs. Reality

Blood_Raven
09-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Is it alright if you immerse yourself in a false reality, so much so that what is real fades away and meshes with the false?

Or are we ment to deal in the real world only, trying to enjoy this mediocre life that seems to enjoy torturing our souls until we're bruised and broken?

Or is it truely possible to have a balance of the two? Having a foot in both worlds is not easy, you salivate for the fantasy but reality beckons for you.

If total virtural immersion were possible, where you could truely be someone else fighting a mythical dragon for a nobel cause, would you take it?

Or would you rather have a good career, making money, having friends and responsibilities.

And if you truely could dump your conciousness into a false world in some machine, is it morally right to do so?

Lend me your voices oh masses of the revolution!

burnout
09-12-2005, 09:42 AM
i prefer reality. but how can you tell reality from fantasy if, like you said, virtual immersion is possible. still, i like the though that i'm feeling real boobies rather than a trick my neurons and brain cells are playing on me

Skizzem
09-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Some people need to be "immersed in a false reality" (or in other words, a "fantasy") as a coping mechanism. Obviously this pertains to people who might have social/domestic problems, financial issues, or health complications. So if you were to ask me is it okay if people delve into their world of fantasy, I would say yes. But to a certain extent. Going back to the example of those people with problems, I would suggest that for the time being they can fantasize about a better life. But while they're at it, they should immediately seek help.

Because when it all boils down to it, it's reality that'll come bite you in the ass.

SERJ
09-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Reality, even tho it sucks big time :D

Skizzem
09-12-2005, 10:08 AM
You guys ever heard of World of Warcraft? Check this out: http://www.purepwnage.com/episodes.html I suggest watching episodes six and seven. Of course, you may watch the previous episodes to find out how it all leads to that. Show's really funny. :)

If you saw the episodes then you know that was just a comical dramatization, but it's sad to say that there are some people out there who are actually experiencing that kind of dilemma. They're just way too immersed in their fantasy world. :(

FenrisLoki
09-12-2005, 11:12 AM
I like making my fantasy a reality. Which would that fall under?

Unless, of course, you're talking about genres, such as would I rather live in a world with dragons and magic or with cars and news stations...

stinger02
09-12-2005, 01:34 PM
tbh, I would really like to escape reality and go with Fantasy. Reality sucks too much to want to be in it. It is hard and cruel and shows no mercy to you. Besides it's not like it is actualy going to happen so I'll be stuck in reality. But if I did have to chance to choose, I would definitely go with Fantasy.

orisa
09-12-2005, 01:42 PM
I'd go with reality. In my fantasies, my life has ABOSLUTELY no flaws. But what makes reality more exciting to live in is that there are flaws, and you try to fix them. When you fix them, you get the feeling of accomplishment that you can't feel in a perfect, flawless world of fantasy.

So, feeling of accomplishment > fantasies. +1 for reality.

maekhamin
09-12-2005, 02:05 PM
just life your live.... it's gonna end up somewhere.... cos for me this life is adventure... so even though this life is fantasy... hey what the hell.... just life it that way...

Blood_Raven
09-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Eh, I'm still going with fantasy
If I could live my life like in the .hack// series, The World mmorpg, I would choose that over reality any day

ShadowRFox
09-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Fantasy is better then reality in my opinion but hey in my fantasy I put flaws in there to give me a challenge. But hey like maekhamin said life
this life is adventure...

Hijiko
09-12-2005, 03:56 PM
hmmm.. tough choice ~_~, kinda prefer both. Fantasy, no need to really go there cuz it's fantasy... anything can happen :P. Reality, well we're all stuck in it and we have to deal with it sooner or later. Also without reality, there's no fantasy and vice versa, so it kinda evens it out.

yes it's hard trying to keep both in control >__<

xxEINxx
09-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Though fantasy is great, i love friends, and i love my sports. Also you cannot stop your body from actually aging while in a fantasy realm. I want to cure the aging process in humans.

Icharus15
09-12-2005, 06:45 PM
I would love nothing more than to sit around in a tavern, throw back an ale and hit on the serving wench, but I have a feeling in a fantasy world I'd just be one of the expendable characters used by the author to tell the story. Now if I could shape my fantasy to my will, that would be something.

Fusilier
09-12-2005, 06:56 PM
I've already tried losing myself to Fantasy before...didn't work, and I ended up nearly committing sucide. It was reality all the way for me after that.

Besides, I prefer science fiction.

FenrisLoki
09-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Science fiction is fantasy, silly. Why'd you think it's always in the "Fantasy" section of the bookstore?

Fantasy is great fun. It's like dreaming; you can be and do anything. Still, can't dream if you're dead, so I suppose there's something to reality. But wouldn't it be nice to sleep and dream forever?

Fusilier
09-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Science fiction is fantasy, silly. Why'd you think it's always in the "Fantasy" section of the bookstore?

Pfft,I was splitting hairs :p

orisa
09-12-2005, 08:08 PM
But wouldn't it be nice to sleep and dream forever?
Not if you are being chased restlessly by bunch of hairy apes, turning humans into mindlessly beings. Seriously, I had that dream before, and it was not a pleasant experience.

Skizzem
09-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Fantasy is nice and all and I admit I would be inclined to go with it. But every time I think to myself that fantasy is a false sense of reality - a reality that I wish was true, but apparently not. The thought is depressing. I think I'd rather stick to the real world, instead of a land full of giant mushrooms.

stukasa
09-12-2005, 10:34 PM
I always liked something I read in George Orwell's book, "1984." At one point during the story this character named O'Brien tells the main character that he can defy physics and change reality to whatever he wants because all reality is internal, not external (like, whoa, there is no spoon! :p).
The main character says something along the lines of "You can't defy physics!", and O'Brien replies that if you can get everyone to believe it (yourself included), isn't that the same as it being real?
That really made me think... IS reality completely internal, and if so, doesn't that mean it can be changed to whatever we want it to be?

CherryMilkman
09-12-2005, 11:03 PM
without reality there would be no fantasy since reality makes things...
reality made you... fantasy can make you into a something else...
fantasy is false and too easy in my opinion and in our life we must face the harsh reality...

Blood_Raven
09-13-2005, 06:33 AM
Now, I realise that without reality, we wouldnt have fantasy.
But that wasn't really part of the question.

That being said,
If you could, would you lose yourself in fantasy, dump your whole consiousness into another medium, and continue your life living it to your will and desire?
or would you stay in the state you are now?

Kalis
09-13-2005, 02:13 PM
My philosophy course had a discussion about this once:

If you had these 2 choices, which would you choose?
a) Be put in a box where you feel a pleasant sensation for the rest of your life.
b) Live life normally.
You can only choose one, and that choice cannot be changed.

In that case, almost everyone chose b because we all felt that one has to life a normal life in order to understand what is pleasant and what is not.

In a situation where you can dicate what happens however, where you are essentially, God, I think everyone would choose that world. Where you can allow yourself to feel the depths of depression, and the heights of joy. Where you can experience anything you desire. Is it morally right? By society's standards, definitely not. Society argues that everyone must contribute to the good of society. Doing something like this, which permanently withdraws you from society, is definitely a sin. However, by personal standards, which argue for the good of the individual, it would definitely be the morally right choice.

When we look at it, reality isn't a very good thing.
Everyone tries to escape reality in one way or another.
That's why people adore and practically worship celebrities, making them larger than life. That's why people do wild and crazy things. That's why people spend hour after hour in front of a tv or a computer. That's why people lose themselves into video games like MMORPGs.
That's why people have discussions about things of no relevance (like this :) )

To an extent, nobody truly lives in the "real" world. Because when you get down to the base of it, it's a ugly, harsh world. That's why people have to pretty it up, and hide their true feelings behind facades. In that sense, civilization itself is fantasy which has been imposed upon reality (barbarianism being the "real" world). :)

Or maybe I'm just slowly rambling off into obscure philosophical arguments haha.

Blood_Raven
09-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Well, I've got to say Kalis, you're the first who's given this question true deep thought.

Very nice

berserkfury101
09-13-2005, 03:17 PM
i try to balance the two i enjoy my fantasies and i write stories where im the main character battling evil beings who all the girls like but i maintain them as fantasies and nothing else
but besides that i would rather live a painful existance in the real world than a false paradise where everything around you is a lie.

FinalixerX
09-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Personally, I'd like to live in a fantasy world myself. There is so much you would be able to do in such a world. Magic and adventure... that's my wish. Sometimes, of course, I also wish that the world looked more like anime than reality as well. Heh.

7amood
09-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Fantasy rules
Fantasy took us to the moon :)
Fantast guided us to creat cars :o
Fantasy is a lot more fun that reality since you can do whatever you want :cool:

but reality always wins :mad:

FenrisLoki
09-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Nu-uh! Fantasy can win, too! Fantasy is what we believe can happen, and sometimes it does! Like, fantasize about going to the moon, then make reality follow along, ja?

Draco888
09-14-2005, 01:39 AM
Reality = fantasy.

"reality" is nothing more (or less !!!) then a mass hallucination. The majority of people, following roughly the same beliefs,opinions, etc ..the largest common denomenator .. Those determin, that is "realty"

Take into account that everyone has his/her own personal reality that is never completely the same as anyone elses "reality" ....

"reality" is a fantasy.

It is always changing, every second. Why because when even one person changes even the least in his opinion,etc..his reality . . then the whole changes.

Reality is just a perception of what we believe reality/the world to be.

Taruby
09-14-2005, 02:15 AM
Is it alright if you immerse yourself in a false reality, so much so that what is real fades away and meshes with the false?

As reality is the truth, and we merely being vessels that view it and formulate what we see into perceived truth. What we see is not reality in it's utmost pure form but really distorted reality.

Or are we ment to deal in the real world only, trying to enjoy this mediocre life that seems to enjoy torturing our souls until we're bruised and broken?

There is a reality you perceive and a reality other people perceive. So being brought into this world, you are influenced by these other people's perceived reality. So in a way, it's a form of adaption if you wish to contort your views to match theirs.

Or is it truely possible to have a balance of the two? Having a foot in both worlds is not easy, you salivate for the fantasy but reality beckons for you.

There are a number of ways to perceive your reality, these are but three:

Keep things the way you perceive it by ignoring all information relayed to you by other existences.

Adapt to and conform to information relayed by other existences, failure to do so makes returns information that displeases other existences.

Adapt to other existences while sparing time for you to truly view things how you wanted to see it elsewhere away from their range of detection.

If total virtural immersion were possible, where you could truely be someone else fighting a mythical dragon for a nobel cause, would you take it?

In this way, you are not escaping to your own fantasy (unless you perceive fantasy as this) but rather another person's depiction of fantasy maybe influenced by all sorts of early perceptions of reality or past recordings of perception of reality.

Or would you rather have a good career, making money, having friends and responsibilities.

In a way, this is the same as above (unless you wish to perceive things as this way) as you are merely conforming/adapting to perception other existences wish for you to take. However this is more taxing on your being as the current agreement of multiple existences require you to operate under these rules.

Sadly not all humans can translate things the same way as others, and there are those who suffer from the inabililty to properly translate reality the same as the neurotypical. The neurotypical don't understand why these people could possibly see things in such a way, or carry themselves out the way they do.

And if you truely could dump your conciousness into a false world in some machine, is it morally right to do so?

As all things are right and wrong; adequate and inadequate. It is left to the self aware to decide what each is. Some instances of what each should be sometimes are relayed to you by other existences before you had time to truly ponder them or create your own view.

Lend me your voices oh masses of the revolution!

So there is:
Truth: Reality (Unattainable)
Perceived Reality: Distorted by yourself
Perceived Reality: Distorted by others
Fantasy: Created by yourself
Fantasy: Created by others

Can these all coexist together? Apparently some forms of each could while others cannot. The more viewers, the greater the hostility between each of these there is.

I wish I was where I felt most content in. In this realm of multiple viewpoints, you might find somewhere where you are happy, but the emergence of another viewpoint would compromise that. A realm unpoluted by others would be where I would be content.

JediCabbit
09-14-2005, 02:48 AM
Fantasy.
Finals Tomorow,
I need a Negima-style time compression room...

Tornberry
09-14-2005, 10:20 AM
No matter how long you spend time in a "fantasy" world, the real world around you and all of it's people are still moving along without you. Time is time, no matter which imaginary world you may put your mind in. Reality is better, since it's as honest as you can get. You can be in tune with the rest o humanity.

Xebi
09-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Pfff... pessimist, I know you're for choosing the fantasy world, but you don't have to paint the world black just so others will prefer fantasy aswell... although that would be mostly the case if we had a decision.
Although knowing that people who get stuck in their fantasy world to much (also part of a mental disorder schizophrenia and surely a few others) you'd be declared crazy/insane.

I do get stuck in my fantasies sometimes, and believe me, with fantasy having no rules of logic, it can either be a beautifull place... or a true hell beyond imagination... wich is mostly my case....

If I could choose my fantasy, I would choose the fantasy world, but the fantasies I'm having are too painfull to live in.
So I rather choose reality, friends, practicing for a job that I like and earn money with, nature that doesn't needs the surealism to be beautifull.
Sometimes I just wish I could bann some of those fantasies of mine.... T-T

BobaFett2ha
09-21-2005, 02:54 AM
You realize that, if you live in a fantasy world, you'll eventually think of it as reality and come up with new fantasies?.. o_o; (in other words get bored)

Red Head Alchemist
12-11-2005, 11:00 AM
I would love to be in my fantasy world. Reality sux. mainly bacause everything runs on money and work (work that is just redudnant process going nowhere and doing nothing).

Sebow
12-11-2005, 11:19 AM
While society will declare you insane if you live too much in a fantasy world, there is a clear problem to all this, and a clear problem to the 'next state' of fantasy; virtual reality (for instance).

1) If a virtual reality emerges that can effect all 5 senses, then there is one great problem, it will become impossible to make a clear line between what is reality and what is fantasy, if you can simulate everything in a fantasy world, which can also be experienced in the real world, then you can no longer prove what is 'reality'.

2) The only reason 'fantasies' nowadays can sometimes be considered 'painful' and 'geeky' or 'loser-like' is merely because they are kinda taboo. People (and mostly society) just have too many prejudices against daydreams and fantasies, because it clearly goes against how one must be authentic and fill in one's responsibilities... pffft...

If I could get inserted in an alternate reality (what is called "fantasy" in this topic) then I would definitly go for it, I mean, why let oneself be restricted in this reality when one can have absolute freedom (or close to) in an alternate reality?

Psycho Mantis
12-12-2005, 05:25 PM
I would take Fantasy,in a fantasy world,you can go on adventures for your entire life,and live a existance that had meaning,you literally had control over your fate and destiny.

In reality,you go to work,among the nameless masses,and have no control over your life.The law,and government keeps you in check.

DarkDweller
12-12-2005, 10:53 PM
going with reality although living in a fantasy every now and then could be nice

Coaxial
12-13-2005, 04:42 AM
Don't get me wrong, reality sucks. Half the world's population lives on less than two dollars a day, shit happens everywhere; there is discrimination, hatred, jelousy, anger, pain... you name it. The reality we all live in has enough problems to get us all depressed if we only took the time to look into them and face the FACT that they're there.

Having said that however... I don't see that as a good enough reason to duck reality and go for fantasy. Reality has a great deal going for it as well, good friends, beautiful women, interesting people and places, great novels and films and animation, good food... the list goes on. So the reason I'd go for the fantasy would actually be really quite simple: there just isn't enough magic, conspiracies, betrayals, heroes, robots, elves, dragons, knights, assassins, dieties... 18th Century Harems, etc to keep me entertained. What can I say, I may be in my mid twenties but I still yearn for all those fantastical elements I wished for when I was ten. You may call it immaturity... I call it a healthy dose of immagination.

sendaria
12-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Fantasy is like a lubrication, without it, reality is going to hurt like hell (man i feel so dirty saying it :o )

ValkyrieSkuld
12-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Fantasy.

Being able to fly, teleport, cast fireballs, kill monsters...and court beautiful and horny maidens (or hire a courtesan :P ).

If you die, let somebody cast "raise dead" or "resurrection" on your body.

AND..
if you die (beyond raise dead/resurrection), you'll be sure that there ARE gods/goddessess

*i'm referring to Forgotten Realms, though other fantasy realms are ok too*