PDA

View Full Version : If you are what you eat, then I am dead.

Pyrus
10-17-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm not about to smoke people into thinking that I am a health fanatic, I could only wish that was true. Allthough I excercise frequently, I have health vices... many of them.

Lets see....

-I go to sleep at 7am and wake up at 7pm
-I eat peanut butter out of the jar with a knife
(1 teaspoon of peanut butter is supposed to be roughly the same as 1 serving of red meat, which I am told will put a punch into your life expectency)
-I eat no vegetables whenever poonly ssible, I'm am an absolute carnivore. I think if you threw me on an island with my best friends and a whole lot of water and cabbages, the rescue team would find me eating the flesh of my friends and drinking water.
-I eat steaks medium rare (red and squishy on the inside)
-I run sprint and do wieghts until I throw up (a habit picked up in the army) which i use as an indicator to know when I have reached my actual limit compared to my percieved limit.

On a good note....

-I havent touched Cocacola in 1 whole year, and I plan on never consuming carbonated drinks ever.... yeah like I'll ever find the willpower to do that ;)
-I have never touched any kind of drugs, or smokes, and I'll never ever do that ever, just my personal preference.

BUT

I could go on forever, but I wont.

In conclusion I am a dangerous unhealthy man, and I am going to die sooner or later, more likely sooner.

So what peculiar habits do you guys and girls have which you think will get the better of you one day?

chompy
10-17-2005, 03:33 PM
i don't smoke tobacco or drink alcohol. I try to eat as much fresh food as possible as i find it tastes best. I don't drink milk, and have flirted with vegetariansim in my time (ultimately concluding that a carrot is just as alive as a chicken, and life feeds on life) and i don't drink coke. not for dietary reasons, more political.

being overly domesticated is most peoples problem, poor diet being part of that. the ideal diet that the ethereal "they" tout we should stick to consists of 5 portions of fruit and veg a day, abiding to a pyramid, completely avoiding fast foods and fizzy drinks, and drinking an ungodly amount of water every day. the irony of the lethargic lavish abundance of western culture.

personally, i would love to live in such a way i only ate what i could grow or kill...

Pyrus
10-17-2005, 03:50 PM
personally, i would love to live in such a way i only ate what i could grow or kill...

Yeah sometimes I have entertained that thought... then I remember quakers and I think the byproducts of our lifestyle are worth it. you could always go on survivor for the thrill of killing to eat!

Problem is the food demands of all developed countries cannot possibly be met with entirely natural food, unless everyone kept and maintained a few acres of land and raised/ grew their own produce. We'd be an agrarian society!... wait... here comes the memories of quakers again.

Human Life expectancies are on the rise but thats because the older generation who are hitting their later years these times, were raised with very natural diets and environments, and in their ripe years have the advanced health care that the ever developing biomedical science departments can offer.

But what about us? we have been raised on this kind of altered food, what is it going to do to us and our health in the long run?... interesting insight chompy. Generally most people dont start taking care of their lives until the life itself is in some kind of jeopardy.

FenrisLoki
10-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Being a bit self-sufficient isn't a bad thing by itself, you'd just give up doing what you're actually good at. Ask an IT nerd to hunt elephants on the savanna and s/he'd probably die. Ask an IT nerd to sell IT skills in order to hire a super-stealth-sniper-uberhunter to go get food, and he'd live just dandy. In fact, society would benefit from the nerd's IT knowledge, and the hunter would benefit with money he could use to buy better guns from the gunmaker (who also hires hunter so he can make good guns). Before you know it, supermarkets hurray!

Old folks grew up in 1900? Back when pharmaceuticals really started taking off? This is "natural"?

As crappy as life may be in this society, it was much crappier when we didn't have the capacity to do what we're good at and have others do what we're bad at.

Oh, and as to feeding populations, a nasty mean bird flu is looking to thin the herd, so to speak, and meantime the Spanish Flu (which killed more in 1918 than WW1 did total) was recently resurrected and will probably be a mite more dangerous than anything from Jurassic Park, so don't worry too much about overpopulation. Ahh, gotta love that science, it always takes two steps forward then one step back...

BruceKO
10-17-2005, 08:38 PM
"You are what you eat"
Isn't this a old Chinese saying?
Or it exists in various other cultures?

tofuman80
10-17-2005, 08:41 PM
If the saying were to be true...many of us will be made of nothing more than...

..yep, you guessed it...

Ramen.

jenl12343
10-17-2005, 09:50 PM
as long this body can hold on until we can transfer our consciousness to a machine.

sometime within the next 50-80 years we will see this

Pyrus
10-17-2005, 10:46 PM
If the saying were to be true...many of us will be made of nothing more than...

..yep, you guessed it...

LOL! yeah maybe, shows where society is heading doesnt it?

Oh, and as to feeding populations, a nasty mean bird flu is looking to thin the herd, so to speak, and meantime the Spanish Flu (which killed more in 1918 than WW1 did total) was recently resurrected and will probably be a mite more dangerous than anything from Jurassic Park, so don't worry too much about overpopulation. Ahh, gotta love that science, it always takes two steps forward then one step back...

Yeah then you got those rather scary peak oil theories by those alarmists, they reckon it will result in an epic "die out", the scarey thing is that Oil prices are currently soaring, is the end nigh?

Being a bit self-sufficient isn't a bad thing by itself, you'd just give up doing what you're actually good at. Ask an IT nerd to hunt elephants on the savanna and s/he'd probably die. Ask an IT nerd to sell IT skills in order to hire a super-stealth-sniper-uberhunter to go get food, and he'd live just dandy. In fact, society would benefit from the nerd's IT knowledge, and the hunter would benefit with money he could use to buy better guns from the gunmaker (who also hires hunter so he can make good guns). Before you know it, supermarkets hurray!

I can survive... alone in the jungle, but to be honest I love my creature comforts way too much to exist that way. Its more of a neccecity to have survival skills for me, I dont exactly yearn to be wild, but you get people who would rather be that way.

Hijiko
10-17-2005, 10:48 PM
ramen??? not yet XD, i'm somewat of a health fanatic myself. No soft drink, fast food for almost a year now =D. Drink milk, juice, coffee (may not be as healthly, but i need this to stay awake in class... seriously >__<), and love italian. Dun mind veggie, they can be good something, if cooked or prepared properly.

jenl12343
10-18-2005, 12:19 AM
they need to genetically alter veggies to make them taste better

Hijiko
10-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Even though taste does play a big part in it, the presentation and texture of veggie as u eat tend to make me wanna eat it or not. If they're over-cooked, some get all mushy >__<, while others, if cooked rite, will not only look good, but taste good.

Argh getting hungry talking about this ~__~

jenl12343
10-18-2005, 01:31 AM
true but if I could have a carrot that tasted like a milkshake or something that tastes good would be nice... ok maybe not a milkshake but something that tastes good.

Pyrus
10-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Yeah anyone tasted those psuedo meats before, they are made from vegetable extracts. In my opinion they are no substitute for real meat. I do like Tofu however... given that its completed with... what else, but meat.

Hijiko
10-18-2005, 06:57 AM
true but if I could have a carrot that tasted like a milkshake or something that tastes good would be nice... ok maybe not a milkshake but something that tastes good.

lol i prefer my carrots as carrots XD.

@Pyrus: ya tofu's great.... not the HF member, i mean the food >__> *drools* stalks tofuman @___@.

stukasa
10-18-2005, 07:25 AM
So what peculiar habits do you guys and girls have which you think will get the better of you one day?
I don't smoke or drink, but if anything is going to get me one day it is probably: lack of exercise. It's a lot easier to find time to work out when you don't have an 8 to 5 job. =/
At school, even walking to and from classes could be a workout sometimes, but these days I'm basically just sitting in an office all day. Well, okay, I have to walk around to talk to people, but that's about it. I think I need to set aside some time every night just for exercise. The hardest part will be sticking to it! >__<

miscman
10-18-2005, 09:35 AM
LOL! yeah maybe, shows where society is heading doesnt it?
All roads lead to McJunk. Kowai. :S

Let me see...
- don't eat anything from McJunk for more than 3 years ( and if I eat probably I won't survive :p )
- don't smoke
- drink carbonated drinks ( I need to stop this >_< ), wine ( I hate beer ), tea and at maximum ( I don't know if this term is correct... ) 2 cups of coffee a day.
- eat meat almost every day ( this I need to stop urgently )
- at least I eat some vegetables

cyress8
10-18-2005, 09:54 AM
-Dont smoke or drink any beers or Sodas
-Eat all veggies except califlower and squash(I freaking hate this crap)
-Im one of the few people that dont eat fast food(Never understood the reason to if i have food in my fridge :/)
-Im actually a health fanatic(I literally try to kill myself weightlifting, always going for the max)
-I always eat some type of meat but will always have one of the other basic food groups with it
-I eat alot of damn CHEESE!(Everything has to have it)

sbeal
10-18-2005, 10:50 AM
well..let's see.. i got the rib of pigs, head of a fish, ear of a pig, my main body is divided up in to sections that rivals the cuts of a cow except for a section that's taken up by strips of beacons, feet and tail of chickens, hm..and i think i got some greens growing outa my back. my hear is stacks of coffe beans, my right hand is form from noodles, and my left is of candies. ahhhh life is good.

o yea ...and i think i pee out alcohol....but i dont dare to try it out.........

blackhat
10-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Pyrus, pay no attention to the naysayers. You're doing great. Add three pots of coffer per day, and you'll live forever. :)

Pyrus
10-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Pyrus, pay no attention to the naysayers. You're doing great. Add three pots of coffer per day, and you'll live forever. :)

Hahaha yeah perhaps, maybe if I eat a whole jar of beanut butter each day it will somehow grant me sweet, sweet immortality... actuallly I dont think Immortality is a good thing, but thats a debate for another time.

Speaking of which, apparently the oldest man on Earth attributed his health to a glass of locally brewed wine every single day without fail.

I'm not so sure about health standards from people who "know better" I mean, we got people running around saying vegetables in large ammounts are caciogenic (WTF)... not to mention the nay sayers of eggs as "cholesterol loaded", then all the sudden they are saying that the cholesterol in eggs good for you. Seems like anything can give you cancer these days. With that in mind, thats the reason I am not so particular about what I eat. Come what may.

Hijiko
10-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Hehe wine is good, especially red wine. My neighbour brews them in his basement so i can get some nice old traditional (maybe?) red wine from him =D. As for eggs.... i love them n i dun care wat others think =D.

Pyrus
10-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Hehe wine is good, especially red wine. My neighbour brews them in his basement so i can get some nice old traditional (maybe?) red wine from him =D. As for eggs.... i love them n i dun care wat others think =D.

Truth be told I am still trying to get used to the taste of wine... I keep getting put off by it whenever I conciously think about how its produced... with rot :eek: .

Then again when you consider the methods used to prepare allot of common foods its pretty gross aswel. I found that theres camel uterus in beef pies... and I eat allot of them. great now I am going to be on a guilt trip, so many animals have to die just so I can have lunch. :(

jenl12343
10-19-2005, 09:36 AM
circle of life. someday things will eat you...actually things are already eating you. Dust mites etc love your skin cells. dust is mostly dead skin. You've got bacteria in your bowels that love you too.
a good quote I once heard:

there is room for all of god's creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes

Eiskold
10-20-2005, 11:38 AM
random..

instant noodles 4 me.

if you are what you eat then that just makes me lazy.. that or 12 inches.
cough cough... (damn subway diet)

Pyrus
10-20-2005, 01:31 PM
random..

instant noodles 4 me.

if you are what you eat then that just makes me lazy.. that or 12 inches.
cough cough... (damn subway diet)

Its my natural reaction to statements like this which make me realise that I am a pervert... what a sad and corrupted mind I have.