PDA

View Full Version : Sony's coming to vandalize your neighborhood!

Kerii
12-04-2005, 12:27 AM
http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2005/11/20/opinionist_corp.php

Seriously, WTF?

At least the decals used by other companies are removable.

Some friends of mine took time out of their weekends when they were in high school to help clean up and paint over neighborhood grafitti like this and these bastards think they can just use it for advertising?

Krozar
12-04-2005, 12:56 AM
Not surprising from the company who was found to be hiding trojans in music CDs. Sony and BMI are being sued for that, one more reason not to buy CDs because apparantly placing one in a CD-ROM is ilicit.

NYC already has enough ads, the city is a nasty ad whore. But why should Sony care about a mere city ordinance? They are a large corporation with many divisons in North America and even have international ties. I am sure glad Austin isn't like that, be even better when my school kicks USC's ass in the Rose Bowl.

sf101
12-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Well.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................... Let's go pirating let's go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's go pirating let's go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With a display like that I hate sony even more.

snaak
12-04-2005, 07:43 AM
at least the PSP's are used in a nice way.

WarAx
12-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Somehow not surprising at all. I wouldn't even flinch if MS started a war against some country cos they changed their general OS from Windows to Linux. Money is the real power in todays world no matter how you look at it.

Para
12-04-2005, 10:49 AM
And I thought graffiti was bad...

The government should fine Sony millions of dollars for public property damages and private property damages.

orisa
12-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Another reason why I like Nintendo more and Sony less >_>

Skizzem
12-04-2005, 01:01 PM
How did they find out that these artists were hired by Sony?

Skizzem
12-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Then am I blind? :p

Skizzem
12-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Nope, but I'd like to ask the same thing to those who are immediately accusing Sony without further proof on the matter. ;)

Skizzem
12-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Good idea. I sent the guy an email just now.

Para
12-04-2005, 01:36 PM
If you want to challege it. Then one place to start is with columnist Jake Dobkin who wrote the article blaming Sony for the grafffiti. Who or Where is his reliable source of information? A penniless street bum who will say anything for a price?

If you two want to challenge it... apparently go around the internet and look this issue up... its quite widespread through out parts of the US.

Krozar
12-04-2005, 08:43 PM
The government should fine Sony millions of dollars for public property damages and private property damages.

A fedral judge ordered Microsoft to split several years ago... ever happen? Nope, they can walk over anyone including the feds.

orisa
12-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Pfft. Bill Gates is richer than the queen. Nothing a little moolah can't handle.

Kerii
12-05-2005, 06:57 AM
How did they find out that these artists were hired by Sony?1. Because signing the "art" with their company name would make it "too obvious".

2. Because the designs are the same everywhere and is plastered all over the city.

3. Because it's been found in Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York.

So let me ask: Who else but Sony?

Philly: http://www.woostercollective.com/2005/11/sony-psp-ads-what-do-you-think.html
LA: http://www.popgadget.net/2005/11/sony_psp_corpor.php
San Francisco: http://www.secondaryscreening.net/static/archives/2005/11/index.html
Chicago: http://chicago.metblogs.com/archives/2005/11/dear_sony_stree.phtml

Denamic
12-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Let's all go and spray paint "We like it in butt! -SONY" on the sony HQ walls! Grammar error intentional.

punkfairy
12-05-2005, 07:30 AM
thats business *****es, welcome to the corporate world.
it sells to the kids, the kids love the ****ing graffiti
look at marc ecko, look at chad muska, they both sell their shit with graffiti.
kids are business
kids love vandalism
you may not like it, but this is how advertising works now.

not as bad as microsoft.
i think hiring celebrities to buy your console is pretty ****ing stupid
(tony hawk, paris hilton, bam margera) all those celebrities appeal to kids, 'cause their either rich, famous, or just considered cool, kids love to follow their celebrities, so i think that hiring the celebrities to buy them is worse, since the graffiti is less blatant, and just because you saw graffiti of it doesn't mean its cool, to a kid, if you see your favourite star buy it, you want it.

ashburn98
12-05-2005, 07:33 AM
Let's all go and spray paint "We like it in butt! -SONY" on the sony HQ walls! Grammar error intentional.

Quite a good idea. :p

Skizzem
12-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi again, everyone. I got the response email from Jake. :p

This was my PM to him:

Hi, I just stumbled on your site and I found your article to be really interesting. I was only able to peruse a few of the comments on your article and from the looks of it it seemed as if an argument was taking place there, so I just want to let you know ahead of time that this email is meant to be on fair, neutral ground. With that said, I have a few questions that I appreciate if you could answer whenever possible:

How did you find out that Sony was involved in this? Or was it just a guess?
Was there a Sony Corporate logo/copyright anywhere?
Who and where did you get your source of information about the graffiti?

Thanks in advance!

Note: Reason why I had to edit the response instead of pasting it in its original form was because I forgot to ask permission from Jake if I could allow his response to be posted here.

Jake's response was that he felt the Sony campaign was obvious due to the portrayal of the characters with the PSPs in their hands. Jake, being a "serious student of graffiti" knows that there's "no standardization across pieces unless someone is paying"; furthermore, based on the WoosterCollective site, there were several artists confronted and had evidence of the printouts.

Jake further went onto saying that Sony wouldn't be dumb enough to leave a corporate copyright on the pieces. If legal matters would arise, "corporate parents [would just] pay off the city to avoid embarrassment."

Jake did say that the information he got regarding the graffiti was mainly due to first-hand experience at looking around his neighborhood (which, needless to say, was affected by these graffiti art).