PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever experienced a short circuit before?

sonicfan1997
10-03-2011, 04:07 AM
I was in Yunnan, because my school went for some overseas service learning thing. The hotel was kinda good. But anyways, I was about to use the hairdryer, and I pressed the button and :

IT EXPLODED.

KABOOM!!!

Yeah. I ran over to the other room, which was where the two male teachers were at and banged on the door and the first teacher opened it and said " What happened?"

And I peeked inside to see the other teacher half naked.

* coughs *.

So like I was saying, anyone experienced a short circuit before? I nearly got electrocuted ohkay. == IT EXPLODED IN MY HANDS.

LuxVertas
10-03-2011, 05:03 AM
I deliberately short circuited a Electronics product before... just to see what happened...

I don't think we CAN short Circuit stuff here in the UK?

sonicfan1997
10-03-2011, 05:04 AM
Not sure about that :P But it was scary to have the stupid hairdryer explode in my hand. Not to mention seeing a teacher half naked especially when he doesn't have a nice body.

Alupihan
10-03-2011, 05:46 AM
I am a former Electronics and Communications Engineering Student and have a small degree in computer repair. You cannot fathom the countless amounts of short circuit incidents I have encountered.

Most memorable was when I accidentally dropped the soldering iron on a functioning breadboard. The PCB melted and everything burst into flames. You cannot imagine the worth of the damage I had caused for me and my group. Also have experience with defunct amplifier prototypes that just grills itself due to faulty wiring.

No wonder I shifted to multimedia arts. :sweatdrop:

sonicfan1997
10-03-2011, 06:17 AM
I am a former Electronics and Communications Engineering Student and have a small degree in computer repair. You cannot fathom the countless amounts of short circuit incidents I have encountered.

Most memorable was when I accidentally dropped the soldering iron on a functioning breadboard. The PCB melted and everything burst into flames. You cannot imagine the worth of the damage I had caused for me and my group. Also have experience with defunct amplifier prototypes that just grills itself due to faulty wiring.

No wonder I shifted to multimedia arts. :sweatdrop:
That must have been like. SUPER DANGEROUS.
I can't imagine a pile of flames in front of me. I'll be freaked out like omg.
Though it's interesting to know you have experiences with Electronics and stuff~

Heh my experience can't be compared to yours :D

Ferrin
10-03-2011, 09:41 AM
i was working on an old crt with a malfunctioning color bulb when one of the other guys in the workshop bumped into me, causing my hand to bridge a few circuits, my arm was numb for an hour...

Karis Fra Mauro
10-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Mental short circuits are much more fun. One time I woke up and my higher brain functions hadn't kicked in yet. Not only was I unable to speak, to but I was unable to think in words for a few moments. Fascinating insight into what it would be like to be an animal really.

otakuman1
10-03-2011, 10:12 AM
And I peeked inside to see the other teacher half naked.

* coughs *.
:oi:
I wonder what they were doing in there?

I had a computer monitor catch on fire while I was using it!

nougamineuro
10-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I have seen a plenty of them in the electronic lab we have here.
But usually things don't explode... just melt.

Corelain
10-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Way too many of them, probably the most impressive was when a crowbar fell down across a couple of bussbars at the local power plant when I was much younger. Vaporized about 4" of steel from the crowbar and took out a chunk of copper about the size of my head on each of the bars. Even worse, it didn't even take the circuit off-line (the bussbars were about 6" thick and 2' wide at that point...) Makes a pretty impressive noise though, the flash also left a really beautiful copper plate effect on concrete floor below.

shadowerne
10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Oh! Oh! I know why it exploded! 8D

At least I think I do.

In some countries, they use a different Voltage. For example, in Argentina we use 220V while in the US they use 110V.

So yeah, plugging in a 110V device into a 220V socket kind of... overcharges the device and makes it blow up.

I've experienced only two short circuits that I recall. Well... one was with a socket that apparently got wet and exploded in my hand (didn't get hurt tho). The other... well, my old PC had the power source outside... and it rained. And my mom didn't close the window...

I tried letting it get dry for a long while, plugged it in and had it short again. Plugged it out, opened it, got it dry myself, plugged it in again, turned it on, had it short again and... yeah, I kind of gave up and threw it away. Lucky me, got myself a new tower with a new power source! :P

shiracld
10-03-2011, 07:46 PM
one time i was working with a timing device, motion sensor and photovoltaic sensors
shorted the wrong wire and KABOOM~!!!

also i had experience in making your innocent batteries go POW too~

robobunghole
10-04-2011, 04:00 PM
i wuved that movie

SaotomeRanma
10-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Yes, found out about it the hard way... a shorted vacuum tube in the calibrator output on a Tektronix RM561A oscilloscope (from 1963.) Didn't realize there was a shorted tube in the circuit until I went to connect a wire to the calibrator output jack (didn't have any BNC coaxial cables at the time), and took 300V across both hands. That hurt! Looking at the schematic I figured it out rather quickly, seeing as the 300V power supply was connected to the anode and the cathode was connected straight to the output jack.

i was working on an old crt with a malfunctioning color bulb when one of the other guys in the workshop bumped into me, causing my hand to bridge a few circuits, my arm was numb for an hour...

Been there, done that... was adjusting the horizontal oscillator coil on a 1952 Crosley TV, could not see where my hand was, and one of my fingers toughed the plate cap of the horizontal output tube, effectively grounding out the picture, as my arm jerked back. Felt that one all the way up my arm. Next time I ever go to adjust that I'm going to use a much longer alignment tool.

Coraltara
10-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Poor you, I am glad you're safe! How comes that so many bad things happen to you all of a sudden? Don't let bad luck follow you. You must be always safe and well.

I did experience a short circuit many times, but I am glad nothing exploded and I was always safe. I wish the same to everybody who happens to go through this! :)

darkandshadow
10-10-2011, 04:00 PM
The HP d530 SFF are notorious for exploding without actually having electricity
flowing through them. It's a grounding issue inside the PSU when you plug the
adapter in. It literally explodes, sending showers of sparks everywhere (if you're
lucky enough). I believe the PSU model rev. was 5, but rev. 6 does it as well.

At my old job, a shipment of them came onto a skid, out of 65, 15 didn't have
blown caps. I've had 4 of those 15 explode on me while attempting to plug them
in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHPf6jHdEFg

The guy in the video must be wet behind the ears, this was nothing.

wargod
10-10-2011, 06:10 PM
I think that those tow male teachers you mentioned were disturbed more than you from that explosion , anyway .. good thing you didn't get hurt ....... you didn't get hurt right ?

darkandshadow
10-10-2011, 06:13 PM
No, I didn't get hurt, but the first time it happened (I didn't know about this
issue), until the first one blew up near my face. It was all sound, but I cursed
loudly.

After that, it became a gag to my coworkers. I still wish I had recorded those
events with my phone...damn. I'll have to volunteer there after they get
another shipment of those in.

a1a2a34
10-10-2011, 06:22 PM
I've never really experienced it myself, but I've heard a rumour when I was in elementary school;

some kid apparently inserted a metal scissor through electric cord, and was electrocuted

slayerdart12
10-11-2011, 05:29 AM
I did experienced getting electrocuted.. when i was a kid..
If i remember correctly. I was so curious about our TV and then I played with the plugs near it.. Since that TV needs a transformer to run. I removed it. then Boom~. Hell Breaks Loose. :sorry1:

oh.. when i'm with someone, when they touches me unintentionally, i get electrocuted.. why is that? it happens a lot when where at the mall. :crazed:

Corelain
10-11-2011, 09:39 AM
If i remember correctly. I was so curious about our TV and then I played with the plugs near it.. Since that TV needs a transformer to run. I removed it. then Boom~. Hell Breaks Loose. :sorry1:

oh.. when i'm with someone, when they touches me unintentionally, i get electrocuted.. why is that? it happens a lot when where at the mall. :crazed:

Probably static electricity. A lot of fabrics (particularly silks, nylons and wools) can generate significant electrical charges when rubbing on each other. This charge bleeds off naturally in humid air, but in drier air it can build up and provide a pretty decent shock. Since many malls are air conditioned, that would seem to be an ideal place for this to happen. If the floor are carpeted, even more so...

chenis
10-11-2011, 10:17 AM
One time my car short circuited and died in the middle of the highway.

solarenemy
10-11-2011, 12:53 PM

You get and got shocked. If you where to get electrocuted, you would have not bene typing this. You would be dead. Electrocution means to kill by electricity.

rbp
10-11-2011, 03:17 PM
When I in school.. in fact I think it was during an exam season... perhaps I was 16...? Anyway... I think I was thrown across a room by a mains socket doing something it shouldn't have...

All I I remember about it was a burning pain on my finger and feeling cold everywhere else and being terrified... and somehow I was on the other side of the room...

:smoke1: other than that fun things to blow up are kettles, TVs and halogen heaters... all stink to high heaven though...

Wh1t3y3t1
10-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Nearly blew out the entire fuse box in an old warehouse in work once, water got into it from something I fucked up without noticing but thankfully it only shorted out the area I was working in.

Other than that me and my friends in school once back when I was 15/16 years old got a computer to blow up after someone drop kicked it across the classroom during what essentially a riot.

Kinseryu
10-11-2011, 04:00 PM
I literally short circuited a terminal that had 110v.
10 years old.. got pushed back 3 meters... and hit my back to the front of a car.

unconscious for half an hour?... good experience... learned not to mess up with the wires of a christmas decoration.

:XD:

Lord Zero
10-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Mmm... i accidentally touched an exposed electric outlet quite recently.

It was quite interesting... i felt the current ran through my body with a
lot of detail... it was not that painful or anything, but my heart started to beat really
fast. I guess that it was Tachycardia due to the electrical current. I sweated a lot as well.

messupdude
10-13-2011, 09:05 PM
When I was like in grade 4 or 5 I remember I stuck my finger inside a lightbulb socket and I felt the current running through me. I was shaking and I was having trouble breathing and all I could see was white until I pulled out my finger.

wargod
10-16-2011, 11:35 AM
I have experienced just a few minutes earlier .... right ?