PDA

View Full Version : Did you feel like you have some forum bad karma?

Shaidon
11-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Your critic but polite post get moderated, but other flamed ones remain untouched.
You are sure that you didn't violated rules, at least not at the common sense, but some member or moderator will tell you different. And some will be do impolitely.
You do the same thing that old members did, but is you that get moderated.
Felling like crossing a minefield? Then my friend, you are not alone.

Today I got so full of this, that I decide to come here to see if I'm not alone.
:speechless:

Rick
11-22-2011, 04:34 PM
You mean in here or some other place? Because I kind of got that feeling in a recent minor incident, but let's just say I regret nothing.

I think it might have happened to me a few times before, but they were usually pretty minor. Not to say that they didn't escalate somehow because most did, but nothing too bad. :p In a sense, such experiences have made me more cautious and a bit less reserved at the same time when it comes to criticizing certain things or people's attitudes. Besides, more often than not, I felt my position in those incidents were justified, despite certain people thinking differently.

So yeah, I've had my share of arguments (as politely as possible, of course) with other people here (and still do if I feel I must). I learned with them that no one is free of bias or partial views on some matters. If you can politely justify yours and not get moderated in the process, then you are probably doing it right. Otherwise, either side is being too bigoted/idiotic for their own good and often means there's a misunderstanding at some point.

Call it arrogance if you like, but I do believe I've grown wiser in terms of when/how to argue with others.

P.S.: And no, I'd rather not bring up my examples because the fires have long died down and it has all been settled in one way or another. Knowing when to let go is also a part of it. Just try to learn something from it and move on.

Shaidon
11-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Nah, not interested into open old wounds.
I was talking about all forums in general, it seems that I often step on someone's foot. Even if I'm sure that was not rude, or I was doing something that others already had done, it like I have Scape Goat written in my forehead.
:evillaugh:
I know that language can be a huge factor, since it's not my main language, and will cause me troubles. And worst if I added emotion to the text.

Rick
11-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Meh, stepping on other people's toes doesn't bother me as much as it normally would have, like, 4 or 5 years ago. But that depends on the situation.

If it was on accident, you could be apologetic about it. That is, assuming it wasn't intentional and/or you actually regretted it. In most of my more recent cases, I didn't regret it, not one bit. Sometimes it's refreshing to be a little more confrontational or blunt to set the record straight once and for all. It's a fine line between getting moderated by such stance or not... and I admit I was pretty risqué on quite a few occasions and managed to get away with it.

And yes, I can't stress enough how often such problems begin with poorly phrased statements. I try to be as careful as possible with those and I can't help but pity/be peeved by those who don't do the same. Oh, and I try to keep sarcasm to a minimum, unless I'm sure the other person will see it as sarcasm because it just doesn't translate too well in text, with or without emoticons. :) <-c wut i did thar? xD

Michael Means Business
11-22-2011, 05:33 PM
As far as HongFire goes, I'd say such is highly unlikely. I've remained in good standing with virtually all the Members I've interacted with over the years here. The only people who've seemed to take some form of offense to my behavior were people who took my loling and trolling too seriously, rather than see it for what it was.
However, when I first became active on the internet, I would say there was quite a deal of bad karma generated from becoming easily offended at things that really didn't warrant it, and as such, I got off on a bad foot within certain sites. Even after becoming a good, contributing poster, I still couldn't shake the negative stigma I acquired from when I first started posting.
Also, had an unfortunate falling out with a number of people on a specific site many, many years back. I still regret how things turned out, and really wish I stayed in contact with these members.

Now as for IRL, through actions controversial, I'd say it would be highly likely I've generated quite a bad cloud of karma that contentiously looms over me, and if reincarnation is the case, would still likely be present well into another life.

Alupihan
11-22-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm a big asshole online (well, most of the time, especially if I'm stressed IRL) and it was way worse 4-5 years ago when I have regular access to the internet and the huge open world of community forums. Back then I tried an online game and fell in love with it. What better way to make the experience more thrilling than joining the community forums that goes along with it? Of course at first I'm a goody-two-shoes guy who follows all the rules and try to be friendly as possible. Only a year, and 1000+ post later I begun to be one of its infamous denizen coz I troll a lot of people and I often spam even in civil discussion segments. Really weird thing is...I even gained my ever own fanbase! Me and my fellow trolls in that community have our shares of friends and frenemies, some stalkers too! I only quit that community years later when the game no longer appeals to me and the community finally died down to a 'fallout' state since the game has a dying (or dead) playerbase. I kinda miss that place sometimes. Funny thing is that I was the crazy kid there the first time I registered here in Hongfire.

I can no longer count how many people I've crossed the line with in there, and the bad part is that I don't have remorse for the things I've done (well, except that ONE incident where I backstabbed a GM in a different forums). Good thing I grew up and learn a little bit of self control. I may be a trainwreck most of the time here, but take note I'm a walking apocalypse elsewhere. You do not want to see how much of a foul mouth I can truly be. I dunno, maybe having an online employment changed me alot since I learned how way things really work online and being civil is just the tip of the iceberg if want to earn respect of many, especially in the internets.

oh and 1 more thing...gundam related debates still agitates me, I don't freakin know why. So don't get me started by making a thread the title "Gundam seed destiny is the best of the gundam franchise".

Shaidon
11-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Compared to what I was before, I learn a lot to "ignore" as well. I quoted, because something always stick with me and will slowly filling in. It was what happened today.
But Rick said something that I still can't handle, being sarcastic. Since I value so much the truth, I can't avoid to do some sarc"acid" comment when ever I detect hypocrisy. ^.^
You can say that I like to troll on these moments.
But don't get me wrong, I'm no arrogant.

YamiSouru MkIII
11-22-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm a big asshole online (well, most of the time, especially if I'm stressed IRL) and it was way worse 4-5 years ago when I have regular access to the internet and the huge open world of community forums. Back then I tried an online game and fell in love with it. What better way to make the experience more thrilling than joining the community forums that goes along with it? Of course at first I'm a goody-two-shoes guy who follows all the rules and try to be friendly as possible. Only a year, and 1000+ post later I begun to be one of its infamous denizen coz I troll a lot of people and I often spam even in civil discussion segments. Really weird thing is...I even gained my ever own fanbase! Me and my fellow trolls in that community have our shares of friends and frenemies, some stalkers too! I only quit that community years later when the game no longer appeals to me and the community finally died down to a 'fallout' state since the game has a dying (or dead) playerbase. I kinda miss that place sometimes. Funny thing is that I was the crazy kid there the first time I registered here in Hongfire.

I can no longer count how many people I've crossed the line with in there, and the bad part is that I don't have remorse for the things I've done (well, except that ONE incident where I backstabbed a GM in a different forums). Good thing I grew up and learn a little bit of self control. I may be a trainwreck most of the time here, but take note I'm a walking apocalypse elsewhere. You do not want to see how much of a foul mouth I can truly be. I dunno, maybe having an online employment changed me alot since I learned how way things really work online and being civil is just the tip of the iceberg if want to earn respect of many, especially in the internets.

oh and 1 more thing...gundam related debates still agitates me, I don't freakin know why. So don't get me started by making a thread the title "Gundam seed destiny is the best of the gundam franchise".

GUNDAM SEED DESTINY ITS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD!!!!! ITS THE ONLY WORTHY GUNDAM SERIE OUT THERE. when i hear that i want to wring his neck with his innards, damn Kira Fanboys/girls that have never seen anything else in fact if you go to the Gundam Seed Universer Gai Murakumo Owns Kira with a battered Gin and without his glasses. but yeah i can`t argue about gundam since each time i do i become Ghiren Zabi plus Zeon Dum Daikun Plus Char Aznable Plus Treize Kushrenada plus Paptimus Scirocco XD ahahahahahaha not to count the old Von Kuspen XD.

aside from that meh, this forum its quite permissive and Open i have been in others (won`t mention) that even being polite and decent without swearing i got banned of course i insulted in a elegant and decent way the president of the USA and told them some truths that they did not liked it in short Truth offends more than anything else to the immature and short sighted which its the 90% of the world populace. but when you have a good argument and can show me that it was that was then i bow down and give my regards but still hold my version but acknowledge that you might have truth and consider it and ponder it.

anyway its not Karma its simply being cautious and know how to control others if you are frank and direct and like to say the truth (me XD) then you will have lot of trouble and will feel like the world its against you while when you are a sly bastard that plays with the weaknesses of others and sugar coat them and do a proper brown nosing you can get away with it some say that its an art and a gift and that you have high Charisma and personality (in rpgs i lower my charisma to most and my luck to use those points in Intelligence or Wisdom :P). so there its the gits of the thread, do you desire to be in good terms with everyone or desire only to be acknowledge by those who share your points of view?.

PS: Michael Means Business its a case apart he is a lost chain in the evolution since he can get along with people and he is true to himself and does not fake nor tell things that please others, so he is an exception to the said up on my post thought such exceptions are rare.

11-23-2011, 05:05 AM
every forum is biased too based on user. If a user's been in a forum long enough and isn't been too much of a dick, then the admins usually looks the other way when that user sends a flame critic once in a while.
it's the new users that the admin mostly keeps in check because everyone assumes that the newbie doesn't "read the rules".
of course, been how "active" also determines if the admins will cut you slack or not.

L4mE
11-24-2011, 06:50 AM
well considering i'm easily goes with the flow of what i want to do be it playing games or socialize in forum, etc i would say i have never been known whether in this forum community or the mmo that i played. Even in the RL i think i don't have much power or don't create big impact to other people since i tends to go hiding here and there XD

Haika
11-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Didn't notice anyone disliking me, maybe a difference in opinion but all in good nature.
I usually choose my words to avoid misunderstandings.
:bored:

also, same as L4me, i'm not big here so people barely notice my mumbling here,hahaha
:sweatdrop:

On a dutch(private server) world of warcraft forum many years back I pretty much was the black sheep.
Most of those asses played Horde and I played (P)ally,
and since ally was mostly played by kids or low levels in that server.
I always ended up being ganked by 10 lvl 70 hordes. (total server population was around 50)
Because I was the only one with a decent level to be fought against.
Once I learned how to evade the suckers in-game, they turned to the forums to annoy me.
Eventually people started to leave because of them and the server/forum pretty much died.
:evil:

a1a2a34
11-27-2011, 03:02 PM
My signature created by darkandshadow protects me I believe

Disillusional
11-29-2011, 04:41 AM
I'm a big asshole online.

I agree.
. .Well I can be one too, like now ;3
Anyways, its good that hongfire isn't one of those really too active forums, where you have people making new posts in the general section every 3 minutes and people wasting their lives trying to get the 2000 post ban
Can't believe I wasted my life getting 2000 posts...;(

11-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I agree.
Anyways, its good that hongfire isn't one of those really too active forums, where you have people making new posts in the general section every 3 minutes and people wasting their lives trying to get the 2000 post ban

how dare you say that getting 2000 post is wasting my life! I worked hard posting spam and crap to get those 2000 posts and I'm proud of it!!

Alupihan
12-01-2011, 06:28 AM
I agree.

Well, it takes some time before you evolve into an asshole, unless that's the image you want to portray to the community right away. And no...you don't need 2000+ post just to prove you are one, all you need is an attitude and a sheer disregard for humanity and you are all set.

As for wasting life on 2000+ post, its better than wasting time on others things such as planking on the freeway. Besides, even with these much post I can pretty much say I live a normal lifestyle.

Rick
12-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Well, it takes some time before you evolve into an asshole, unless that's the image you want to portray to the community right away. And no...you don't need 2000+ post just to prove you are one, all you need is an attitude and a sheer disregard for humanity and you are all set.

As for wasting life on 2000+ post, its better than wasting time on others things such as planking on the freeway. Besides, even with these much post I can pretty much say I live a normal lifestyle.
Guess I too am a living proof of all that stuff you said. :P

PoisonIce
12-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Dude, why do you even care ?
Seriously... Looks like people are more concerned about their online reputation ... than their "rl" reputation. Just ignore crap like that, and go do something more constructive lol... Plus, its not like everyone is gonna like you... Deal with it :U ...

You mean in here or some other place? Because I kind of got that feeling in a recent minor incident, but let's just say I regret nothing.

ROFL ... I witnessed some of those.... "incidents"

WhiteTigerForever
01-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Most Westerns misuse and misunderstand what the meaning of and definition of Karma is. It has nothing to do with this life, unless you make moral choices that will affect your life in the next.

In Buddhism, there are many levels and types of existence. The moral level is just one and is the only one that can create the energy effects we commons see as negative or positive. There is nothing you can do. Existence itself, and the illusion of the ego, the strongest force in the universe, the will to live keeps this cycle going. There is only one way out/off the wheel of Samsara.

rbp
01-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Most Westerns misuse and misunderstand what the meaning of and definition of Karma is. It has nothing to do with this life, unless you make moral choices that will affect your life in the next.

Words gain and lose meanings.

Language is alive.

Deal with it.

:smoke1:

WhiteTigerForever
01-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Words gain and lose meanings.

Language is alive.

Deal with it.

:smoke1:

If a person is going to make a reference regarding a word from an entirely different culture..it is important to understand the culture from which it came, how it is perceived and used. lmao... deal with it... ha ha ha ha

rbp
01-14-2012, 08:02 AM
If a person is going to make a reference regarding a word from an entirely different culture..it is important to understand the culture from which it came, how it is perceived and used. lmao... deal with it... ha ha ha ha

You expect to much.

It is simply not practical to expect people to understand in any great detail the culture from which words come from, consider English for example, in this sentence alone there are words and symbols lifted from at least 10 languages and that's without even trying.

Karma has entered as a concept, the absurd religious tomfoolery attached to it, is superflous to the simple and easy to socio-linguistic tool it is in the sense used here.

Actively seeking out a way to be offended by what you perceive as other people's ignorance is not an endearing quality.

WhiteTigerForever
01-14-2012, 08:10 AM
You expect to much.

It is simply not practical to expect people to understand in any great detail the culture from which words come from, consider English for example, in this sentence alone there are words and symbols lifted from at least 10 languages and that's without even trying.

Karma has entered as a concept, the absurd religious tomfoolery attached to it, is superflous to the simple and easy to socio-linguistic tool it is in the sense used here.

Actively seeking out a way to be offended by what you perceive as other people's ignorance is not an endearing quality.

I suppose you are right to think that people have the same interests and fields of study as I, and yet it has entered the English language incorrectly. Almost no one of the common standard would even care to find its actual meaning...

but I, in no was was offended, lmao..just being informative..XD. Whether you perceive my personality as endearing or not bears no weight on me... silly you. I think you may be taking this too seriously to begin with. I haven't taken things seriously as you might perceive, So then, I am the mirror of your internal perceptions, then so the words you have spoken also reflect back into you own subconscious disposition... lol.. smile... be happy and simple day by day with what you have and are... no more posting in this topic for me as it has gone off track already with this discussion.. lol.

rbp
01-14-2012, 08:19 AM
I suppose you are right to think that people have the same interests and fields of study as I, and yet it has entered the English language incorrectly. Almost no one of the common standard would even care to find its actual meaning...

The meaning which entered into English is not strictly incorrect. The meaning is, in general use, merely parred down.

but I, in no was was offended, lmao..just being informative..XD. Whether you perceive my personality as endearing or not bears no weight on me... silly you. I think you may be taking this too seriously to begin with. I haven't taken things seriously as you might perceive, So then, I am the mirror of your internal perceptions, then so the words you have spoken also reflect back into you own subconscious disposition... lol.. smile... be happy and simple day by day with what you have and are... no more posting in this topic for me as it has gone off track already with this discussion.. lol.

:rolleyes: or you are a foil in a demonstration of the titular topic.. who can say.. :rolleyes:

WhiteTigerForever
01-14-2012, 08:31 AM
The meaning which entered into English is not strictly incorrect. The meaning is, in general use, merely parred down.

:rolleyes: or you are a foil in a demonstration of the titular topic.. who can say.. :rolleyes:

It very much has entered the culture inaccurately... more vague and none specified.... but that's okay... I just was giving info. on the initial source and original/actual meaning.... and there is nothing that can be done by the way it is used now commonly...

and I find myself not in a foil...

In Buddhism, karma (Pāli kamma) is strictly distinguished from vipāka, meaning "fruit" or "result". Karma is categorized within the group or groups of cause (Pāli hetu) in the chain of cause and effect, where it comprises the elements of "volitional activities" (Pali sankhara) and "action" (Pali bhava). Any action is understood as creating "seeds" in the mind that will sprout into the appropriate result (Pāli vipaka) when met with the right conditions. Most types of karmas, with good or bad results, will keep one within the wheel of samsāra, while others will liberate one to nirvāna.

Karma is one of five categories of causation, known collectively as niyama dhammas, the first being kamma, and the other four being utu (seasons and weather), bīja (heredity, lit. "seed"), chitta (mind) and dhamma (law, in the sense of nature's tendency to perfect).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma And this is just a wiki source.. lol, not actually taken and studied from monks as I have...which is nbd... just my personal topic of interest... study of cultures and religions, etc.

Sorry guys...I posted again, I will be good now and no more derailing... hee hee

Rick
01-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Depends on what exactly people are ignorant about, though. I can see that 'quality' as endearing and even justified in some circumstances.

But not here, not about our so-called ignorance on the definitions of karma, this much I can agree on. It's not like we are all linguistics experts or anything and, even then, just googling "[term] dictionary" is good enough for me if I'm really curious about it, which is not the case. :P

Shaidon
01-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Gonna change my thread title to Did you feel like you have bad luck posting into forums?
And so, no need to attack each other in a polite way. =D

BTW, sorry for my typos and misuses of my english that might gives a wrong idea.

Devmastuh
01-21-2012, 07:24 AM
I don't think I have trouble with the rules on forums OP, it's just the fact that I get ignored. Constantly. Even though that isn't really a forum specific issue.

sailabc1
01-21-2012, 08:50 AM
I was talking about all forums in general

In that case, this was pretty much why I quit the previous forum I was in before HF. (I remember mentioning this in a thread a couple years back) It was a Sailor Moon fan community, the admin acted a moralfag actually so much into Sailor Moon that he's ready to implement the idealism of the title character and be as forgiving as possible. Problem is, whenever any other people got into a fight, he'd just quietly delete the post, and whenever I got into a fight (and usually I don't snap unless provoked fairly rudely, even though I do snap fairly quickly once that happens - I hope you guys here don't have a different impression of me? :sorry1: ), I'm the only side who'd get reprimanded with crap about Sailor Moon's idealism, only because at that time I was nice enough to listen. As I got into an increasing no. of fights (the funny this is some people there hinted this had something to do with my abnormally high post count - people were actually getting jealous of me coz of that and intentionally picked fights with me at times :gaytard: ), the reprimanding got a bit harsher over time while the others apparently didn't receive as much reprimanding/warning (or more like at all - sometimes the admin's reason being "he's just a little kid, doesn't know what he's saying, I don't want to deprieve him of his rights as a Sailor Moon fan and enjoying this forum because he doesn't have as much common sense. You please control yourself and set a good example for him. :( " <- yes, he added the " :( " face too. This was after I cursed him back after said "11 year old kid" publicly created a thread "<My username> IS A FUCK! WHOEVER AGREES STEP RIGHT UP!!" coz he had a problem with me from earlier, said kid also had a history of spamming and minor sockpuppeting with duplicate accounts a couple of times so even if he was a kid he had a bit of intelligence in him). At one point I just snapped, ragequit and before leaving for good, bombarded the forum and the new user registration form with hate speech and spam for 4 months (particularly targetting the admin), so much that the admin was forced to implement severe registration restrictions for nearly an year solely because of me. Felt good to be an ass at that time, yup. :evil:

After I decided I'd vented my rage enough at that forum I came here and drowned myself in awesome hentai stuff. Mostly ero-games. Well, did that stuff work wonders for me :happy:

As for on this forum, I didn't feel I was personally being discriminated against, but an incident involving a guy named Ikari Shinji 1C something getting 3-day banned by HongFire because of his rudeness towards solarenemy was the only unfair case I've seen in my stay at this forum. I can't argue about his rudeness technically not being against the rules, but it's just as you say - worse cases are/have been overlooked or at least warned against first while this guy was banned way too early with a comparatively much less offensive behavior. Other than that, HF has always been the best forum to stay at for any otaku IMO, with or without DL sections. :foyourinfo: