PDA

View Full Version : Seafood restaurant?

Tuyet Phong
03-14-2012, 05:03 PM
For the guys who like to eat out, what seafood restaurants do you like? I keep seeing Red lobster on TV but my friend said it's not that good. They recommend Pappadeaux. Also, I heard about Joe's crab sack and the boiling crab but never try them

Corelain
03-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Red Slobster & Joes Crabs Shack are basically what you expect them to be, a high end version of Long John Silvers.... Haven't heard of Pappadeaux, but it might be a regional. For me the best seafood usually involves getting to someplace coastal, then finding a Chinese grocery store. Ask a couple of the clerks where THEY go when they want good seafood. I can honestly say some of the best fish I have had in my life were served in Chinese and Japanese restaurants.

solarenemy
03-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Pappadeaux is a Southern chain that specializes in Cajun style seafood. It is spicy. Red Lobster is not too bad but expensive for what you get. There is a place in Texas called Rock Fish. they are a chain but I don't know where all they cover. They have good seafood and serve other as well.

Maverick007
03-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Boiling Crab...Yummy... (There are actually tons of seafood restaurants I like, it all depends on my mood.)

Karis Fra Mauro
03-14-2012, 08:58 PM
I always see the Red Lobster ads on tv and it drives me up the wall because there aren't any where I live. They don't have the greatest of reputations though so I shouldn't complain too much. Never heard of Pappadeux however. Crab is awesome, especially with black bean sauce. I prefer the rock crab to the alaskan king crab however, if you want decent legs on a king crab you need to shell out a gazillion bucks for a giant one and pray there's someone to split the bill with. The best seafood restaurant I've ever been to closed down, it was called The Seven Seas and was a floating restaurant. Converted ferry boat serving an all you can eat seafood buffet with everything from clam chowder to frog legs for $20. Just unbelievable. Oh yeah, smoked salmon is delicious. Along with BBQ eel. If you can find a decent chinese dim sum place ha gow, prawn dumplings, are a favorite.

sithstormjedi
03-14-2012, 09:26 PM
I always see the Red Lobster ads on tv and it drives me up the wall because there aren't any where I live. They don't have the greatest of reputations though so I shouldn't complain too much. Never heard of Pappadeux however. Crab is awesome, especially with black bean sauce. I prefer the rock crab to the alaskan king crab however, if you want decent legs on a king crab you need to shell out a gazillion bucks for a giant one and pray there's someone to split the bill with. The best seafood restaurant I've ever been to closed down, it was called The Seven Seas and was a floating restaurant. Converted ferry boat serving an all you can eat seafood buffet with everything from clam chowder to frog legs for $20. Just unbelievable. Oh yeah, smoked salmon is delicious. Along with BBQ eel. If you can find a decent chinese dim sum place ha gow, prawn dumplings, are a favorite.

ah the seven seas. i've been there a few times.
Alot of small chinese restaurants closed because of the damned HST. And added that the asian food quality competition.

As for seafood i usually eat at Chinese family restaurants and sometimes sushi places.
I usually grab my seasonal fishes like sockeye salmon at the Fisherman's wharf.

But as for seafoods in America... the only one i know of is Ivar's Fish bar down at Seattle.

Damn i miss eating seafood now. Here at Taichung Taiwan, the food served is too heavily seasoned for my tastes. The fish variety is great. But sadly most of the food served at restaurants cannot compare to the ones served back at Vancouver...
And can you believe that Sushi here is factory mass produced and then shipped to common sushi places which are actually Conveyor belt served restaurant with one or two chefs that drop the food on the belt and other small jobs?

Tuyet Phong
03-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Talking about Jap and Chinese food, I know a place called TokyoOne, 25 bucks for dinner, pretty expensive but they have all kind of sushi, king crab legs, boiled dungeness crabs, seafood hot pot, so it's pretty nice.

About BBQ eel, I like it, especially after watching the last episode of Denpa Otoko but so far they only sell it on sushi.

sithstormjedi
03-14-2012, 11:47 PM
In some asian superstores (japanese/korean) they usually sell BBQ Eel in a package where you can just open and eat it like that and serve it with rice.

uremog
03-15-2012, 01:21 AM
i've only been to Red Lobster once, and it was pretty average. My friend said his wife LOVES the cheddar biscuits, and I'm a cheese person, but they weren't that good to me.
I've had some good crab soup in Baltimore, a lot of places like to add sherry, which is great, and one place even topped it with a softshell crab.

springheeljack
03-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Red lobster is pretty great and yeah those biscuits are the shit um sometimes me and my family go to a restaurant in Texas called Seaisland which is pretty great
Florida has amazing seafood though if you want some good shit
We usually get a grouper sandwich down there when we go

Juas
03-15-2012, 02:24 AM
I know a great place, it's one of those "all you can eat" restaurants with a funny owner:
http://www.comandopollo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/The_Frying_Dutchman.jpg

Karis Fra Mauro
03-15-2012, 06:50 AM
I got some discount coupons for a frying dutchman burger at de dutch pannekoek house, but I don't think they have seafood ;) BBQ eel on sushi is nice but yeah it's pretty tiny. If it's unagi donburi it's a bit more substantial. There's an asian supermarket chain called T & T supermarket that sells a nice big eel for $10 or so. I don't even bother with rice, just scarf down the entire thing and spent the next hour happily digesting with a grin on my face.

sithstormjedi
03-15-2012, 08:56 AM
I got some discount coupons for a frying dutchman burger at de dutch pannekoek house, but I don't think they have seafood ;) BBQ eel on sushi is nice but yeah it's pretty tiny. If it's unagi donburi it's a bit more substantial. There's an asian supermarket chain called T & T supermarket that sells a nice big eel for $10 or so. I don't even bother with rice, just scarf down the entire thing and spent the next hour happily digesting with a grin on my face.
The eel tastes better if you buy the sauce for it.
I like eating it as a donburi. As a sushi... not so much. My favorite sushi is Saba (mackerel) both light or heavy marinated (raw mackerel is rare)

Karis Fra Mauro
03-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Happily the $10 eel comes with sauce. I just wish they'd sell it at a discount after 6 PM like they do their deli stuff. Saba eh? I don't go out for sushi too much these days, there's so many low quality pseudo-japanese places out there it's easy to get tricked. Everyone makes a huge deal about Tojo's being the best place for sushi in Vancouver but $18 for a single roll?! The only people who can afford that are asain tycoons visiting here to snag all the property and gangsters looking to spend the proceeds from their grow-ops. I used to love a restaurant called The Clubhouse run by a pervent who'd only hire waitresses with gigantic boobs. Alas he sold it to new management and it's just like any other place.

sithstormjedi
03-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Happily the $10 eel comes with sauce. I just wish they'd sell it at a discount after 6 PM like they do their deli stuff. Saba eh? I don't go out for sushi too much these days, there's so many low quality pseudo-japanese places out there it's easy to get tricked. Everyone makes a huge deal about Tojo's being the best place for sushi in Vancouver but $18 for a single roll?! The only people who can afford that are asain tycoons visiting here to snag all the property and gangsters looking to spend the proceeds from their grow-ops. I used to love a restaurant called The Clubhouse run by a pervent who'd only hire waitresses with gigantic boobs. Alas he sold it to new management and it's just like any other place.
Your in vancouver yes? Try Richmond sushi/ Kingsway sushi (one near metro town) they are very nice places to eat at.

Corelain
03-16-2012, 07:06 AM
I had almost forgotten, but Bonefish Grill is usually adequate if slightly overpriced if you are looking for a Central US chain.

Karis Fra Mauro
03-16-2012, 09:11 AM
I used to go to Richmond fairly often but never found anything that was simultaneously impressive and affordable. The best of the seafood restaurants still open that I've found is the Congee Noodle House. $30 for a huge crab and I can while away the hours WITHOUT obnoxious canned music deafening me (eating does in fact not require a soundtrack), enjoying the pleasantly informal atmosphere. There was a nice fish and chips place on Main called the Windjammer but it closed :( I'd probably go to Richmond more often if transit was more accomodating though.

sithstormjedi
03-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Hmm... Congee Noodle house has good congee and chinese doughnuts (Youtiao).
Have you tried Sun Sui Wah? that place is pretty good, but the waiting line at busy hours is a pain.

DokEnkephalin
03-16-2012, 01:12 PM
I miss New Orleans, because there are so many awesome local places for good seafood that naming them wouldn't be helpful to you. They won't be anywhere but New Orleans.

But outside of New Orleans, Joe's Crab Shack is the best. Other good seafood places are so few that it's always a gamble until you find them, but you can rely on Joe's.

Karis Fra Mauro
03-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Actually I did try Sun Sui Wah once and found it pretty indifferent. It seemed like the kind of place intended for groups rather than individuals, at least during the evening. New Orleans... Yeah I have a lot of respect for the food out of that region :) Fun fact, it really is pronounced New Orleans rather than Norleans. There was a bluesman (think his name was Jelly Roll?) 100 years ago from there who went up to the Smithsonian and had his voice recorded. Based on the recordings it was pronounced normally back then :)

DokEnkephalin
03-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Fun fact, it really is pronounced New Orleans rather than Norleans.Really? After living there 10 years, I still pronounce it "N'orlins". So that's a really fun fact to file along with the other fun facts I hear about how New Orleans is from anyone who hasn't lived there. Thanks for that!

Anyway, at least we have a common spelling for it.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, you're probably better off using the pronunciation "New Orleans" until you've lived there long enough to drift into an accent on your own. You don't have to force it, you don't have to fake it, if you're there long enough, it'll happen. If not, then don't worry about it.

Karis Fra Mauro
03-16-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm sure it's just changed naturally over the years. Plus one of the fun things about living in a place is teasing outsiders about how to pronounce local names ;) Dang I'm starting to get a craving for seafood now. Maybe I can persuade the guys at work to order out for calamari or something tonight? Memphis Blues has a nice catfish sandwich and prawns but I don't go there too often these days. Oh yeah, I just remembered that last year the BBC had a special on the tastiest food in the world and said it was crayfish from New Orleans. I don't think think I've ever had crayfish, sulk...

DokEnkephalin
03-17-2012, 04:22 AM
When I was growing up as a kid around here, I used to find crawfish in the creeks, and they creeped me out and fascinated me, so I used to catch them in buckets and watch them. My grandmother told me people eat them in Texas, but I didn't believe her -- she said a lot of crazy shit. And then I moved to New Orleans, where you could get them by the bag, boiled, for about $2/lb. I don't know if I'd call it "seafood", but it is really good.

GEMPAL00
03-18-2012, 06:05 AM
a good restaurant with a good home made cooking is far more than enuff for me :D

Karis Fra Mauro
03-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Ah, they actually got take out from a respectable restaurant at work last night instead of the usual pizza joint. I forget what the place is called but it has outstanding spaghetti and clams. Unusually it's the noodles that are the best, I'm unaccustomed to that. Think I'll get some octopus tomorrow night at a Japanese pub, although that's pretty much the only seafood they serve I'm enthusiastic about. I miss their tuna miso pizza.