PDA

View Full Version : I Have a Ball.

Blood_Raven
03-11-2006, 11:56 PM
I have a spherical ball. It is made of plastic and it is hollow. It is also blue.

Is it more blue than it is spherical?

This is an actual question and has an actual answer, I know it, do you?

I dare you to answer. :neko:

Edit: I shall reveal the answer once I feel that you all have stretched your minds a sufficient distance.

gvbn
03-12-2006, 12:02 AM
no. it's more spherical. science etc

AnimeWerewolf
03-12-2006, 12:06 AM
it's more Blue ! :d

now has anyone ever had blue balls ? ah nevermind wrong thread ! :p

sf101
03-12-2006, 12:06 AM
How exactly can one compare shape to surface? I'd say their about equal consider the color and shape are of the same substance. Unless you used paint to make it blue it should be equal.

Blood_Raven
03-12-2006, 12:17 AM
A little tidbit to tantalise your intellectual tastebuds:

Blue is a color, a refraction of light off of an object in one spectrum and into our eyes then perceived by the brain as to be blue. Blue has a short wavelength compared to red. It exists in the visible spectrum between Cyan and Violet, It also has a wavelength of ~ 440-485 nm, the second to last of the smallest color wavelengths. And if you were to put the ball in a windowless lightless room, there would be no light to produce the blue hue of the ball. Wavelength is also two dimensional, unlike the three dimensional ball.

However, if you were to smash the ball, you would completely change it's spherical shape, making it two dimensional, just like the wave.

So, the question remains, is it more spherical or more blue?

Covvie
03-12-2006, 12:37 AM
It's purple if you shine a red light through it.

Blood_Raven
03-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Ahh ha! You've just added another piece of information to the pile.

dots
03-12-2006, 12:43 AM
I have a ball

Good for ya!!!!
I got two of them though....

sf101
03-12-2006, 12:50 AM
I have it. It's both and neither.
We have light which exist only if their is a source of light with it's properties being altered depending on the light shined within it. Likewise mentioned about that a different colored light(other than white or blue) making the though of it being blue subjective to the light reflected on it and it's hollow nature.

Likewise the shape you said it was a ball and spherical but you didn't say it was entirely round. It has a spherical shape but isn't a complete sphere like say a football or a hockey puck(yeah they call that a ball). With this variable open it can be interpreted many ways. Without a diameter too much is left to the mind itself.

The answer is completely subjective to one's physical perception.

Taruby
03-12-2006, 01:02 AM
Sorry to break up the party, here's the original thread that stemmed this discussion: http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7389

Covvie
03-12-2006, 01:12 AM
"Likewise the shape you said it was a ball and spherical but you didn't say it was entirely round"
Mathematically, spherical implies perfect roundness already.

Kerii
03-12-2006, 01:28 AM
Sounds like boredom.

I can make up crap too. :p

Here's one:
I have a bottle of soda, I drink the soda. Does the soda still exist? :p

Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc. :p

Accate The Judge
03-12-2006, 02:02 AM
sorry but i'm lost??? got any explenation which is easier to understand?

syc22
03-12-2006, 03:53 PM
It's more blue, since you did not state the sphere was perfectly round, which is only attainable in zero gravity. A perfect blue is able to be produced by the ink-jet printer on my desk here. :)

Boo
03-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I guess it's more blue since spheres only exist in theory. Even something that
looks like a perfect sphere would get jaggy if you look on an atomical level.

ShadowRFox
03-12-2006, 04:11 PM
The answer is neither!!!!!!

Highlight inbetween the paranthesis to see my thoughts
(Maybe if I sound confindent no one will know I am guessing):roflmao:

Taruby
03-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Actually, how this problem works is that one is given statements that the reader foolishly tries to apply relations and context to their meaning. There is an unlimited array of answers and faults with the work for an answer that supports everything and nothing. Generally it's an intellectual exercise in how to think things up and refuting other's ideas rather than a problem with an expected answer. (The statements and question are vague)

"I have a spherical ball. It is made of plastic and it is hollow. It is also blue."

Spherical ball==Spherical ball
It== made of plastic
It==hollow
It==also blue

The fault in logic is that one is automatically assuming that blue is a color and that plastic and hollow are descriptions that mean more than what they are. If all attributes are the same since It is equal to plastic and hollow and It is equal to blue. The spherical ball only equals the spherical ball. It is a knee-jerk impulse for one to assume that the spherical ball equals It.

The data the question provided is insufficient to provide a logical answer to it. All supports for an answer are drawing from outside data that should not be brought into the question.

@Jinjin: Irrational is so sweet in defeating logic. n_n

kyan
03-12-2006, 06:19 PM
I suppose it's more spherical then blue, because it's hollow, so it's an absolute darkness inside of it. And there are no colors in the darkness, so in fact its inner surface is not blue. As a result, it's only half blue, and it's definitly more than half spherical. Ahem... sorry for my english. :)

Blood_Raven
03-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Yes, I may be unorigional in the post, but I found the question too tantalizing to put down and felt it needed to be re-posted here.

Confound me and my unorigionality. :(

Mai Tokiha
03-12-2006, 06:30 PM
You have only one ball, not two? And it's made of blue, hollow plastic, too?
So you lost both your balls and got only a replacement for one of them, right? :P

BobaFett2ha
03-13-2006, 04:28 AM
I say it's more blue than spherical, the reason being that on a small scale, the dimension of the ball is greater than 3.

donkeypuncher
03-13-2006, 11:54 AM
is there really an answer because i read the same stuff over and over dammit i think we stretched our minds enough...

Choppy
03-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Guys, please keep this dumb enough so I could understand... >_>

In my opinion, it would be more spherical, since light can be controlled, and when there's no light, it's not blue. But Even if it is pitch black, you can still feel the spherical shape of the ball.

Did that make sense or did I just make myself look dumb? xD

BruceKO
03-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Foshos (didn't read the entire thread, just the first post :p)
And mah answer issssss
More Spherical
There's loada crap I can use to explain y, but I have no time (Bio exam tmr) so imma just gonna use a simple example instead:
When u turn off the light, the ball is no longer blue, but it is still spherical.

Later.
P.S. LOL spelling mistakes again...