PDA

View Full Version : NanoCircuits

Blood_Raven
03-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Nano circuit offers big promise
The first computer circuit to be built on a single molecule has been unveiled by researchers in the US.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41478000/jpg/_41478554_chip_ibm203.jpg

The full story can be found here. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4839088.stm)

Very interesting indeed. Perhaps this is the first step towards diamond computing that I've talked about before. Certainly though, these carbon nanotubes have a bright future ahead of them.

mordecaix2052
03-24-2006, 08:25 AM
OMG!! Its like form the game Deus Ex!! nano technology is appering on the technological shelves...man...w8 a minute...OHH YEEAAHHH!!! I can nano implantmyself with tentacles!! hell yeahh!! sign me up scotty!!

mordecaix2052
03-24-2006, 09:37 AM
well, I hope they upgrade it quickly..I really want those tentacles!! Doc Ock AHOY!!!

Mai Tokiha
03-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Sounds promising, but there's still a ways to go...

YamiSouru MkIII
03-24-2006, 05:54 PM
ONE STEP CLOSER TO MY PERFECT GUNDAM!!!!!.

Rigby
03-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Interesting in that it could be used one day to fix nerve and brain damage, and could be used in creating cybernetically enhanced lifeforms, as an attachement point for microcomputers, or to possibly make areas of the brain into microcomputers.

Doc Kakashi wants it.:kakashi:

Fusilier
03-24-2006, 07:22 PM
The clockspeed compared to current processors is what, 80 times less?

Pfft, at worst computer tech stagnates for half a decade or so, big deal. Infact, I think it might be a good thing that 5 years of no increase in computing power happens, the "graphics graphics graphics" approach wouldn't work so well then.

Blood_Raven
03-24-2006, 07:40 PM
There is still a long way to go. The processor is slow, very slow.

Well yea, it's slow, but look at the size of it. If those were to be hooked up together, a billion could potentially be the same size as one human hair in thickness and length.

So, lets see. 1,000,000,000 X 50 mhz = 50,000,000,000 mhz

Thats alot for the size of a human hair.

Choppy
03-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Well yea, it's slow, but look at the size of it. If those were to be hooked up together, a billion could potentially be the same size as one human hair in thickness and length.

So, lets see. 1,000,000,000 X 50 mhz = 50,000,000,000 mhz

Thats alot for the size of a human hair.

If that many were inside of an area that small, what will the heat generated be like? I don't think the artice mentions anything about temperature. And what kind of OS or program will be able to run under that many processors that are very slow individually?

Nonetheless, the technology is very impressive, no matter what the limitations are.

C.A.
03-24-2006, 07:51 PM
well we wont be worrying much about heat in the future when circuits work using light instead of electrons, faster and more efficient

Blood_Raven
03-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Well, many broadband internet providers use light to send data, fiber optics. however we can send data much faster than we can read it. the latest I read was a computer was able to read at 2.64 terabites a second. This is alot mind you, but if we to create a proper perfect photon detector to read all data as fast as it's being sent (speed of light) we could read data at an almost unthinkable leve.

donkeypuncher
03-24-2006, 08:24 PM
since blood raven brought up the terabites has anyone seen the terabite hard drives THAT IS HUGE OMG HOW MUCH STUFF YOU CAN PUT ON IT!!!!

C.A.
03-24-2006, 08:46 PM
since blood raven brought up the terabites has anyone seen the terabite hard drives THAT IS HUGE OMG HOW MUCH STUFF YOU CAN PUT ON IT!!!!
there was a thread some time back about petabyte discs, 1 peta = 1000 tera

Areskel
03-24-2006, 09:00 PM
I hate to contradict BBC, since I respect it so much, but saying it is built on a single molecule, yet only a fifth of the size of a human hair is ridiculous. Unless I'm missing something in the terminology.

But anyways, I like the looks of it. Less heat produced means it's more efficient, that and they predict it to be faster in general.

As for someone's comment about what kind of OS, such OS's already exist, Project Earth and Blue Tooth are both super-computers running on thousands of processors, so it is possible to created a large string. However, the point of heat still stands. That's the real problem with Moore's Law (read the article), there is a threshold where you simply cannot put more transistors in, because the heat they create would melt them regardless of what you put them in. Same problem with this, but it does open up new possibilities in how small we can make a computer, if not the capacity at which we can run it.

On another note, someone said that a stall in computer advancement would help stall the increasingly graphic stressing market. I don't believe this is true. Even if hardware ceases to improve, they will improve software to the point where linking multiple systems becomes highly efficient, then instead of having to upgrade your Graphics Card every 6 months, you'll have to buy another one every 6 months :p Or they will improve the integration of multiple chips and processors; look at SLI cards, companies are realizing that they can't continue improving the card's raw capacity, so they are being forced to increase their ability to work as a single unit.

A terabyte is 1024 Gigabytes; which is a hell of a lot, but graphic designers need it scarily enough. A petabyte is 1024 terabytes, or 1 048 576 gigabytes, which is enough to hold every file in the world twice (note that I'm probably exagerating the capacity, but still :p)

helixfire
03-24-2006, 09:47 PM
hummm.... this bring back memories. I was at the nano tech lab 5 years ago.
The lab to create those nano chips is very clean. Try to keep the dust to the minimum. The process of make ing those nano chips is through chemical reactions. Oh yeah, in side the lab, they use a yellow screen to cover the light. So the light will be like yellow. Inside the lab, you have to wear a special suit. cover from head to toes and you have to wear a mask. Once you enter the lab, you won't get out for a long time. You only get out to eat and go home and that is it. I forgot what is the clean room level. Also, there was a nano violine, and it has the highest pitch. It is amazing, think of the twins tower is the size of the chip.