PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Buys Car on the Web

stukasa
09-26-2006, 03:02 PM
I just read this article and thought it was pretty funny. A three year-old used his mom's eBay account to buy a convertible.

LONDON (Reuters) - Jack Neal briefly became the proud owner of a pink convertible car after he managed to buy it for 9,000 pounds ($17,000) on the Internet despite being only three years old.

Jack's mother told the BBC she had left her password for the eBay auction site in her computer and her son used the "buy it now" option to complete the purchase.

"Jack's a whizz on the PC and just pressed all the right buttons," Rachel Neal said.

The seller of the second-hand car, a dealer from Worcestershire, central England, was amused by the bid and agreed not to force the sale through.

"Luckily he saw the funny side and said he would re-advertise," Neal said.

Luckily the owner of the car was pretty forgiving, otherwise the mother would be pretty mad right now. :D

What do you think? If you were the owner, would YOU have done the same thing or would you have forced the woman to pay for the car?

Source (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060926/od_nm/life_boy1_dc)

Talon87
09-26-2006, 03:07 PM
That sounds so suspect. :| The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the title was, "Yah huh. :| I'm sure that the mother isn't, you know, LYING or anything." And after reading the story, that opinion hasn't budged an inch. This sounds like a poor case of eBay addicted users buying things they can't afford and then trying to pass the blame off to something else to avoid the consequences of their actions.

I mean ... she COULD be telling the truth. But there's no proof. None at all. And so in the eyes of the law, I'm pretty sure "user negligence" is not a valid excuse on eBay and that if your account buys something, well, the law has to assume you bought it unless you can prove otherwise. Since she probably can't, she is DAMN LUCKY that the seller was polite and didn't force the deal on her.

stukasa
09-26-2006, 03:11 PM
That sounds so suspect. :| The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the title was, "Yah huh. :| I'm sure that the mother isn't, you know, LYING or anything." And after reading the story, that opinion hasn't budged an inch. This sounds like a poor case of eBay addicted users buying things they can't afford and then trying to pass the blame off to something else to avoid the consequences of their actions.

I mean ... she COULD be telling the truth. But there's no proof. None at all. And so in the eyes of the law, I'm pretty sure "user negligence" is not a valid excuse on eBay and that if your account buys something, well, the law has to assume you bought it unless you can prove otherwise. Since she probably can't, she is DAMN LUCKY that the seller was polite and didn't force the deal on her.
That's true, she might be making the whole thing up. I guess we'll probably never know for sure. If she is, that's a pretty bad thing to blame her son for it. >.>

And she was pretty lucky. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would have said, "Too bad, all sales are final."

Acid Rain
09-26-2006, 04:02 PM
You buy it, you buy it.

Seyser Koze
09-26-2006, 04:12 PM
I mean ... she COULD be telling the truth. But there's no proof. None at all.
Nor is there proof that she's lying. None at all.

Talon87
09-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Nor is there proof that she's lying. None at all.
But the point is, it's not whether or not the vendor can prove that she's lying. It's whether or not the vendor can catch her incapable of proving that she's telling the truth. If you can't prove your alibi, then your alibi is worthless. That's the way the (real) legal system works, man. You can't just say, "I have an alibi. And the state of New York cannot prove it's a concoction, so there. :p" No. Your alibi has to check out. The jury has to believe in your alibi.

And I can tell you right now, that without any proof that little Jack Jack clicked on "Purchase," I'd be handing this woman a "guilty" verdict.

"Come on, man! Can't you cut her some slack? :(" You might say to me. Yeah. The thought had crossed my mind. Then I realized ...
who died and made her Queen? :| Who says we're not supposed to cut the vendor any slack? We (as consumers) live in a society where we always want to sympathize with our fellow buyers and say, "Come on, man. Those corporate pigs make tons of money anyway. Let her have this one. For Jack Jack. :3" But really, like jinjin pointed out, the legality of the issue isn't changed at all whether this was a car dealer or a hard-pressed family looking for cash. And say it had been that family ... then can you honestly say you'd be willing to cut the buyer "some slack" if it meant screwing the vendor out of a legally-valid deal?
Spoiler tagged since it's long and off-topic ... since you didn't ask me that at all. ^_^; And I'm just answering that question ahead of time in case people DO ask.

Fuchsin
09-26-2006, 05:17 PM
If I was the owner of said car, I would of course let the poor woman off. It wasn't her fault, assuming of course she was not lying.
I mean, I understand how she must have felt; my own baby sister dialed 111 three times in her infancy, and the police were very understanding.

Seyser Koze
09-26-2006, 05:24 PM
(snip)
Ah, guilty until proven innocent an' all that. Right.

I still think you're allowing your God-given prejudice against eBayers to color your judgement. :p

Anyway, the vendor was a sport about the whole thing, so it's kind of a moot point.

Covvie
09-27-2006, 08:31 PM
"What do you think? If you were the owner, would YOU have done the same thing or would you have forced the woman to pay for the car?"

Heheheh, you're asking a crowd of users which needs not to take responsibility to what they say and where the need to feel high-and-mighty is an important goal. To that question, I say yes, demand the woman to pay!

..but the thing is, I know intuitively, that agreeing to buy and actually buying are different things. As along as the money is still with the buyer, the buyer still has the right to refuse. The car is still in the seller's possession so it's not going to happen.

Seyser Koze
09-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Heh heh...

Well anyway, if I could use a Commodore 64 at age three, I can certainly see this kid being able to click a button next to a pretty car.

Soliber
09-28-2006, 11:11 AM
I can see it now:
"sweetie what are you doing? :)
Look mummie, I can make those numbers go up, isn't it fun? ^_^
*gasps* owww sweet mother of Jesus:O "

Phaeby
09-30-2006, 10:40 PM
I believe her. If my 1 year old can play Nintendogs on DS with a stylus, and walk around killing things in Nostale on PC then a 3yr old could easily click on buy it now on e-bay. When you've had a kid then you can say that it doesn't happen, until then I would say these things happen.