PDA

View Full Version : Here E Coli, There E Coli, Everywhere E Coli.

solarenemy
10-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Could it be that 911 has taken form in our vegetables? Could this be a terrorist attack? Or could it be natural selection and mother nature has decided to clean house?

First it was E Coli in spinach. Now in recent news E Coli is showing up on lettuce farms.

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2006/10/08/494579.html

Just before that they found E Coli in Texas beef. So is it a natural occurance or is it man made and planned. In my 38 years of living I don't ever remember so many cases of E Coli popping up at one time. So whats your input? Natural or unnatural. :O

ZuruZuru
10-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Essentially e coli is EXTREMELY common. The news has just blown it up so that everyone starts to get paranoid and it hits the front page. It is essentially everywhere including in your body and your drinking water, but most of it is harmless except for very specific strands of e coli. Someone should close this thread before everyone gets too paranoid about e coli through misinformation.

groan77
10-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Essentially e coli is EXTREMELY common. The news has just blown it up so that everyone starts to get paranoid and it hits the front page. It is essentially everywhere including in your body and your drinking water, but most of it is harmless except for very specific strands of e coli. Someone should close this thread before everyone gets too paranoid about e coli through misinformation.

Indeed. E. coli is very common. It even lives inside your intestines! And yes, there are some strains of E. coli, like the O15:H7 strain, that are harmful, but calling E. coli a terrorist attack is overdoing it a lot!

solarenemy
10-08-2006, 05:46 PM
So when did members become god and decide when a post should be closed just because they disagree with it? I agree it is everywhere. But it is the dangerous strains that are showing up more then others. People have died from it and more have recently died from it then in the past. If it has always been around then people dieing from it should be a common issue. But it isnt or at least it isnt documented. So why are there suddenly so many deaths from E coli popping up. If you notice, I voted its natural weed control. But who knows what it might be. I just think it strange that suddenly several people have died and even more have become sick from something that is always around and shouldnt really bother us.

I also never said it was a terrorist attack. I asked if it could be. There are three choices in the poll so stop making accusations and assumptions and vote dangit.

ZuruZuru
10-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Smoking kills 396,741 US Americans per year. (tested in 2000 but not likely to fluctuate much anyhow)
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/284/6/706

While the e coli "disease" has killed 3.
http://www.cdc.gov/foodborne/ecolispinach/100606.htm

WOW! I'm really scared of e coli now.

solarenemy
10-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Thats from the spinach only. What about all the ones that died from the European beef? That article from the CDC also says 31 developed kidney failure. That means they are dead unless they get a transplant or have dialysis the rest of their lives. Your reading to much into it. I'm just asking if the sudden outbreak could be natural or manmade. It could be a test for another foodborne illness. It could be many things.

I just think there has been a sudden flare in things related to E coli that havnt happened in the past. It might even be related to all the crap we take in to prevent infections. It could have killed out natural immuntiy to E Coli. I'm just wanting ideas and input. It's obvious your stance on it, but let others show there stance as well.

Don't just flatout ask for the thread to be closed. Thats selfish and it violates my freedom of speech!

Drakron
10-08-2006, 06:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escherichia_coli_O157:H7

Instead of blaming terrorists perhaps you sould blame the health department?

Perhaps the USA is a 3rd world country that lacks the basic of health care ... since that is pretty much the only way it would be a issue.

ZuruZuru
10-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Alright, Solar, please tell me the number of deaths from e. coli due to european beef. Add it to the number of 3. Let's see how much you'll get.
Oh yeah, add the 31 from kidney failure too, yea.

Why do I say this? Because we have much bigger problems to worry about!

solarenemy
10-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Actually the problem is the USA is healthcare cost money and isnt free. Many hospitals in the US refuse treatment if you dont have insurance or something in collateral worth the price of the treatments. If you need an organ transplant, hopitals in the US won't even put you on the waiting list without a 25,000 dollar deposite for a 250,000 doallar operation. So yes the healthcare system could be a problem as well. Could be just basic food handleing and cleanliness to. Most places in the US are very bad about food handleing and cross contamination.

EDIT TO INCLUDE ABOVE COMMENTS:
Again however I dont recall where I BLAMED terrorist. I asked if it "COULD BE" a terrorist attack. But to blame I would have to say it "IS" a terrorist attack.

Our bigger problems that get discussed here just end up going in circles or getting locked due to people letting there emotions get involved. Not every discussion we have here need to be important or of the big worldly picture. Some of us like myself could care less about what is going on in the world and is only concerned about local news.

I thought I would just try a lighter discussion on a lighter topic. I was unaware there where so many serious people who think eveery discussion must involve the world and have a substantial impact on the world. Nobody complained about the Amish shooting thread. That only envolved a small amish community in PA. Amish communities are a dime a dozen in the northeast. But it sure doesnt have a global impact so whay wasnt tha thread asked to be closed? I dont get whats wrong with posting soemthing I found interesting that maybe just effects a small sector. I'm sorry if my petty little post doesnt haver a global impact. Forgive me for being so self centered as to not think of the entire world. Please go ahead and delete and close my petty little thread.

ZuruZuru
10-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Well, I only posted the number of deaths in the US.
Now you want me to include the entire world?

Well now, this is going to take some work. *rolls up sleeves*

sf101
10-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Man doesn't anyone know how to properly cook food anymore?

Karis Fra Mauro
10-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Heh, cooking food and washing your hands pretty solves the problem... But for those who do get E. Coli, there's something that occured to me. Antibiotics can make things worse by killing off your intrinsic, healthy intestinal bacteria and making room for the bad kind to spread. This much is well established. So, wouldn't the contrary hold true as well? Why don't they cure people with E. Coli by injecting them with large amounts of the healthy kind and crowding out the bad kind? Just an idea :)

solarenemy
10-08-2006, 07:06 PM
I think maybe because even the good kind can have adverse effects if the population gets to high. Its still a bacteria and has waste which is what makes you sick in most cases. It isnt the bacteria that make you sick as much as it is they're byproducts like waste. So even the good can be bad if its level gets too high.

painsama
10-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Hmm... Americans are always paranoid. They always think that other people want to harm them, while in actuality their country is a threat to everyone in the world.
Here is the article to increase your fear:
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic734.htm
Uh I'm getting diarrhoea... Gah...