PDA

View Full Version : About FireFox ^^"

CrisisAngel
02-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Forgive me.. I'm a FireFox newbie~

You know the bookmarks for the firefox browser?
Yea I bookmarked alot of sites that I wanted to visit again but when I opened my browser today and opened my bookmarks the whole list was empty!
None of it was left, not even my history of the recently visited sites, like everything is washed clean.

This is the second time too :3 First time only the history of visited sites disappeared, now even the bookmarks is too.
Someone tell me if this is an error or what? :O

Flying_Radish
02-03-2007, 08:59 PM
ooo that really bites, that's why I use multiple browsers incase one of them does something evil like that to me, firefox did it to me too once, my advice get lolifox it's awsome

Littledgn
02-03-2007, 09:00 PM
I've never had that problem before...
You probably accidentally cleaned it out, somehow.

CrisisAngel
02-03-2007, 09:03 PM
i can assure you 100% I didn't clean it out :p
It was fine yesterday, today all gone T.T

Flying_Radish
02-03-2007, 09:08 PM
awww *me hugs CA and gives her a cookie* I'm sure everything will sort itself out ^^ don't worry, the best suggestion I can give you is switch to lolifox it blocks all ads and popups and is easy and safe to use... it also has links to little webcomics and stuff ^^

solarenemy
02-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Just export your bookmarks to an external file into a directory such as my documents. Just do this once a month or so and overwrite the file when you have new ones added.

This way when this happens which it rarely does you can simply import the file back to firefox and all is good again.

King Peter
02-03-2007, 09:27 PM
It also happen to me too (twice actually) :p

Where's the export button on Firefox anyway, I only see the import button

AssasinXXX
02-03-2007, 09:27 PM
did u accidently prees ctrl+shift+del?
that will clear all ur private history
i use firefox and it hasnt let me down
dont know what caused for it to delete all of it like that

solarenemy has a good point there, u should export ur file and keep it safe and just incase somthing like this happens import it back in the browser

solarenemy
02-03-2007, 09:41 PM
It also happen to me too (twice actually) :p

Where's the export button on Firefox anyway, I only see the import button

You have to open manage (organize) bookmarks under the bookmarks tab and there will be an export option in there under the file tab.
or write a batch-sript, that copies the bookmarks.html from the profile to a backup-location

Atachi
02-03-2007, 09:57 PM
You have to open manage (organize) bookmarks under the bookmarks tab and there will be an export option in there under the file tab.
or write a batch-sript, that copies the bookmarks.html from the profile to a backup-location
that's what i do with most software that loves to screw itself's config (and to be able to safely format the system-drive without loosing any app-config) :p

using lolifox won't help in that problem, btw. it's a bug in mozilla1.8 (firefox2, seamonkey, ...) - and noone has found the cause so far.
it actually happens really rare and my guess is, that it has sth to do with unclean exits (like crash/freeze) or when the file is somehow locked from reading/writing.
i never had it till now - and my Fx freezes at least once a day :p

is the file then actually empty? (as in no bookmarks at all)
or is it reverted to the default one?
(really want to know as i never had it)

* once again sorry for editing... stupid "edit" is right next to "quote"... and at 7am (no sleep) one may hit the wrong one :p

King Peter
02-03-2007, 10:02 PM

It reverted to the default one, a major pain in the a** to redo all your bookmarks :p

Kotonoha
02-03-2007, 10:09 PM
that's what i do with most software that loves to screw itself's config (and to be able to safely format the system-drive without loosing any app-config) :p

using lolifox won't help in that problem, btw. it's a bug in mozilla1.8 (firefox2, seamonkey, ...) - and noone has found the cause so far.
it actually happens really rare and my guess is, that it has sth to do with unclean exits (like crash/freeze) or when the file is somehow locked from reading/writing.
i never had it till now - and my Fx freezes at least once a day :p

* once again sorry for editing... stupid "edit" is right next to "quote"... and at 7am (no sleep) one may hit the wrong one :p

LOL, I hit the edit button accidently a lot too, but I've always noticed my mistake before accidently editing a post. ^^;

My solution to this problem, well, I have none, I use IE. :p :D

gugujiao
02-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah, My fren had the same problem too. The bookmarks gone in an instant. Guess it really is a bug. Just like everyone says, export your bookmark into an external place so that in other times you get that same bug, can just import it back. Make it a habit.

CrisisAngel
02-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Ahh wakarimasta ^^

I'll follow everyone's advice and export them :3
Problem is... now my bookmarks are all gone I can't remember some of them T_T
(I had like 200+ ...)
Thx for the help =d At least I won't lose the bookmarks now...

jornext
02-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Read this:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks
It says how you can restore a firefox backup.

Berch
02-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Forgive me.. I'm a FireFox newbie~

You know the bookmarks for the firefox browser?
Yea I bookmarked alot of sites that I wanted to visit again but when I opened my browser today and opened my bookmarks the whole list was empty!
None of it was left, not even my history of the recently visited sites, like everything is washed clean.

This is the second time too :3 First time only the history of visited sites disappeared, now even the bookmarks is too.
Someone tell me if this is an error or what? :O

Each time you add a link to your bookmark, Firefox make a backup. Look for it in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\"Your User Account"\Program data*\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\...

* The "Program data" folder maybe is hidden.

Inside "profiles" folder you must find a unique folder if you are the only user of the PC. Then look for the "bookmarkbackups" folder.

ackeejag
02-04-2007, 07:10 AM
not sure if someone said this already but you can try checking your history for the address to the sites. unless your history was deleted as well, the record of visiting the site should be there as well. maybe you didnt bookmark it right. try doing it manually instead of ctrl+D

CrisisAngel
02-04-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm sure I've bookmarked it properly whenever I add a bookmark ackee ^^ (I triple check it :p)
Yes and my history was deleted so I can't use that method as well :3

Each time you add a link to your bookmark, Firefox make a backup. Look for it in this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\"Your User Account"\Program data*\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\...

* The "Program data" folder maybe is hidden.

Inside "profiles" folder you must find a unique folder if you are the only user of the PC. Then look for the "bookmarkbackups" folder.
2 words...

YOU ROCK XD~~