PDA

View Full Version : How many Anime forums you used to frequent are now dead?

DK3411
03-15-2007, 05:50 AM
I used to frequent this one:

www.animeyume.org

It was a great site that featured torrents to new unlicensed anime, podcasts of anime reviews and even had its own radio station.

A rather lively community, that was, though the forums were more often dead than anything else.

It's most likely dead now, as I have been unable to access it for 2 months.

Do you guys know of any other formerly bustling anime forums that have met their demise?

Algester
03-15-2007, 06:29 AM
no it was only this HF that was really my only anime site

Shiroki Okane
03-15-2007, 06:53 AM
three, I think... that was quite long ago...
They just vanished >.o

icie
03-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Used to go to animeboards. That's now pretty much inactive.
Also used to frequent noated mostly for trading, and I don't go there anymore. Probably dead.
Also used to go to cardcaptors-uncensored, which has always been a bit quiet and might as well be dead.

nony
03-15-2007, 07:58 AM
I thought it was only me... so animeyume.org is really dead
sad tsktsk
but was it 2 months ago? I was only unable to access it for like 5 weeks

Lisa Hayes
03-15-2007, 08:16 AM
used to hang around crunchyroll.

but the interests are too shallow.

plus, there's no drama quite like HF!

blozzee
03-15-2007, 08:24 AM
HongFire FTW, btw where's hongfire anyway...I seldom sees him posting in the forum

shiracld
03-15-2007, 09:29 AM
tomodachianime.com
wait was that a forum?!?!
bah!! was dead for about a year now

ZuuBa
03-15-2007, 09:39 AM
I used to frequent this one:

www.animeyume.org

It was a great site that featured torrents to new unlicensed anime, podcasts of anime reviews and even had its own radio station.

A rather lively community, that was, though the forums were more often dead than anything else.

It's most likely dead now, as I have been unable to access it for 2 months.

Do you guys know of any other formerly bustling anime forums that have met their demise?

2 months, more like 2 weeks I think, but anyway any idea what happened to the site?

helixfire
03-15-2007, 10:04 AM
three, I think... that was quite long ago...
They just vanished >.o

poor papaya Y-Y

it's the end for heaven clan. Not many active members and well, too hard to run 2 forums at once >.>
So, they had to let the inactive one go :(

Hayeate
03-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Just one. This.

SyaoranLee
03-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Just one. This.
Is this forum dead?

I've only been to HF...

DK3411
03-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Nah. This place has loads of drama from time to time. Though, more often than not, the drama ends with someone (or a few people) getting banned for a short duration.

Psycho Mantis
03-16-2007, 09:48 AM
It depends on where you go,all the forums i go to are active.

Vathien
03-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I've only been to HF, but it's not dead and thats a good sign ^_^

stukasa
03-16-2007, 03:06 PM
One or two I think, though they were so small you could hardly compare them to HF. I don't know how HF got to be so big but at this point its popularity makes the site self-sustaining. ^^

AnimeWerewolf
03-16-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm registered to a few forums under various aliases and have lurked around a few more but I keep coming back here
for some inexplicable reason ! maybe it's the free booze or maybe it's Para's seckyness I really don't know . :p:rolleyes:
but it's not so much that other forums are dead some just have small even tiny populations so there's less
people frequently posting ! also HF has an extraordinary amount of drama compared to other forums !
I've been around furries so I know about drama HF drama out shines the cry's of fursecution and
Zomg ! you stole my art " cut cut cut " /me pokes Shrags ! :p:D so I say shine on HF ! burn
brightly into that cold dark night . I'll just sit here and watch all the wonderful HF drama
unfold with Lisa and on " special occasions " if I'm feeling frisky I'll participate ! :p;)

Hayeate
03-17-2007, 02:04 AM
Drama, drama, drama... What's this I keep hearing about Hongfire having even a whisp of drama going on in it? This forum's got as much drama on it as a bucket of lesbian fish on a nipple market. And who makes it that way? I do. I'm this forum's chief exporter of drama. At least I would be if I weren't so goddamn lazy. To make lulz requires time, time requires thought, thought requires effort, effort that I would rather put into not putting effort into anything.

chief977
03-17-2007, 03:56 PM
I left this forum because of online games, but i've finally had the strength to give them up for good.They took me over in a bad way. Feels great knowing that i can come right back here, and talk to people about just about anything :)
I'm glad this place is still around, unlike many others that have come and gone.

DK3411
03-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Actually, why do you think forums die out?

Loss of key members/staff?

Lack of discussion material?

Lurkers (too many of them)?

Hayeate
03-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Actually, why do you think forums die out?

Loss of key members/staff?

Lack of discussion material?

Lurkers (too many of them)?

Neither.

The younger a forum's audience gets, the stupider the forum becomes. It's what happened to the forums of Newgrounds, Rottentomatoes, Gamespot, IGN and a multitude of other boards. I've seen it many times how a once decent forum slowly regressed in a morass of spam, trolling and ultimately, mind drudging stupidity. Younger, newer members push out the older, more mature types, who eventually either leave or completely lose interest in trying to keep up their image over the internet. It's what happened with jinjin. "She" was once an interesting character, but eventually ended up a spamming whore. I suppose that if I stay here for another couple of years, I'll regress to nothing but leaving poorly spelled one-line phrases before locking a thread (I'll probably be modded by then).

kayone
03-21-2007, 03:33 AM
I left this forum because of online games, but i've finally had the strength to give them up for good.They took me over in a bad way. Feels great knowing that i can come right back here, and talk to people about just about anything :)
I'm glad this place is still around, unlike many others that have come and gone.

WoW ?

www.wow-detox.com

Lisa Hayes
03-21-2007, 05:42 AM
i'd have to agree.

though it is important that there should be a natural balance between staff and members, of the many reasons that forums fail, immaturity is the most likely candidate among the rest.

The other reason i can think of is that the forum fails to deliver what the audience want. I was a very active member on http://www.ragnarok.ogaming.com. Every day, i always visit that forum ever since i got mesmerized by Ragnarok Online, basically doing what i am doing here as a member there. That site was very active, and i consider myself as part of the core members in that forum. I've known Tripsta (Tripsta's patch for those who remembers), and got to know some of the staff (Kinkood for example, and Raura, plus their nazi-mod whom i forgot the name). There was also an ogaming version of oink there too. I think vision was also there too...

Then one day, ogaming decided to, basically in simple terms, remove that particular section in their forums. To make the story short, EVERYONE left, except for the few who stick around.

Good thing i discovered Hongfire. That was then i decided to participate in HongFire forums, basically as a leecher back then.

Good times.

\p/

DK3411
03-21-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't know. But HF has become kind of like a second home to me.

Almost every instant I'm online, I'll be here, usually poking around the General Discussions, Bishoujo Games and the Gaming section.

I began life here as someone who came just for the games. But discovered that this place offered so much more.

I was like that previously with animeyume until I found HF. That place seemed lively on the surface, but in reality it was the staff that made it lively. I was among one of the many lurkers there who only post once in a blue moon and just read posts in the forums mainly.

Animeyume is gone now (at least, I think it is), but it'll always hold a special place in my heart. After all, it was arguably the first forum I joined and is where I got many of my wallpapers from :D

CHRONOMASTER
03-27-2007, 02:03 AM
News at AnimeYume IRC (#animeyume @ irc.Zirc.org) is that they dumped there current host and found a new one. So it shouldn't be too long before there new server is up.

From IRC: "News: http://masakism.mine.nu:10480/Screens/ay_update.png"

hoshiku
03-27-2007, 05:20 AM
I think every week another one of my favorite sites, or at least a bookmark I visit once a weekish dies.
I have a mile long list now of sites, mostly imageboards and upload sites based around lolicon/shota (I hope I don't catch too much flak here for liking that) and it seems on almost a weekly basis another one just disappears.

Kalimutan
03-27-2007, 06:15 AM
At least 6 or 7 anime forums I used to frequent are either inactive or dead.

chief977
03-27-2007, 04:35 PM
WoW ?

www.wow-detox.com

Lol! Nope, the Pyhantasy Star online and Universe series. It got me pretty good, but quitting cold turkey worked for me. i think >:3 But to be back on topic, now that i think of it, there's no other anime forums i really frequented besides here.
I'm so thankful that i can spend a little bit of time here , rather than a ton of time on PSO/PSU :D

NeoDevilMan
03-27-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm back here again... after I went to other forums, no places are better than HF~period. thanks to all of you:)

AzianFreak
03-29-2007, 03:47 AM
a couple of em, cant remember the names...

jazst
12-25-2007, 05:20 AM
One and it actually isn't dead. It just changed name and address
and I forgot to bookmark them in time. :D

Tiexandrea
12-26-2007, 11:43 PM
funny, i stumbled into HongFire because i was simply looking for a copy of "Kasumi Feel The Flash"...

i don't go to other anime forums except HongFire and animesuki...
thankfully, both of them are still alive and they look like they'll be sticking around for a long time...

solarenemy
12-27-2007, 05:25 AM
4chan. Yes as far as I am concerned it is dead now.

Wh1t3y3t1
12-27-2007, 06:59 AM
I used to be a Mod on a mates site but it died because we had about 100 members then everyone starting leaving

and i also used to use some sites about 4 i think but again all died HF is the only real one left

and as well i agree with solarenemy 4chan is dead

Desmonthes
12-27-2007, 10:08 AM
R.I.P
(-.- )

Satelight
12-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Im on AnimeSuki and Anime-paper as well.

YamiSouru MkIII
12-27-2007, 12:46 PM
i have been on some forums, but the one that i was a lot, was a Gundam Forum where i knew many good gundam fans, like Zionista, and others, even someone that was rumored to be Mark Simmons was in that forum, (dunno if it was Mark Simmons but the guy was quite knowledgeable about gundam) and where i had many interesting post till i got more upfronting and broke the laws and always went to the Rig (yeah even Kamile,Amuro,Allelujah,Usso,Ganroad,Heero, hell a lot of guys went to the rig, too rebels hahaha), and every time i was sent to the rig they got attacked and the forums died and they were reborn as another, and so i followed em in 4 rebirths and then i dunno stuff happened and i lost track and went to other forums.

4chan. Yes as far as I am concerned it is dead now

as the phoenix revives, stupidity and idiocy remains in mankind and the spark of moronic behaviour, trash talk and useless stuff will revive, so its not dead, to begin with, how do you kill that, which has no life... ahhahaha

Rick
01-05-2008, 04:19 PM
If this thread is still open...

R.I.P
(-.- )
ROFLMAO PWNED?! XD

If so... Good, because I want to post something here. :) Give the "axe of closure" (cheesy term, eh? xP) some rest, Desmonthes...

Now back on topic...

If you mean forums that has animes as their main focus (even if just theoretically) and I visit as a lurker with no account, I don't think any of them is dead. Some of them might have just changed names/addresses. On a second thoght, I don't visit most of them anymore so I can't say that for sure.

But if you mean forums I actually have an account in, none of them is DEAD. And I only have an account in a foum known as HongFire. :P Most likely the only forum I'll ever have an account because I like it a lot and it takes away a lot of my wasteable time (and a bit of my non-wasteable too :p). Well spent wasteable time, I must say. ;):D

As for 4chan, I haven't checked it for some time but I wouldn't be too surprised if it really is dead. And I'm pretty sure that immaturity is a reason (the main reason, I believe) of its failure/demise. They had it coming sooner or later. :rolleyes: