PDA

View Full Version : once again the internet security topic

MuffDiver99
05-13-2008, 02:19 AM
I setting up my old p3 right now, trying to find a good combination of firewall + antivirus + anti spyware combo for safe torrenting.

then I suddenly noticed all these new weird shit

http://www.techsupportalert.com/dr/security

Trojan Scanner?
Rootkit Scanner?
Intrusion Prevention?

okay wtf is up with all these stuff?
I thought antivirus/antispyware could catch rootkits and trojans, and firewall can catch intrusions.

what do I need for safe torrent station anyway? I used to think antivirus is enough, but then I found out I need firewall ever since xp sp1, then later I found out about anti spyware so I got that too. but now there's all these new shit coming up, how many layers of protection do you really need? I don't wanna end up with 8 layers of garbage when my computer really only need 2~3 layers for torrenting.

system spec: p3, 512 ram, win 2000, what do I need for safe torrenting?

wingmare
05-13-2008, 03:42 AM
lets see, for p3
1 for all sets

Kaspersky - not free, new version is too slow for old comp, try v6 or v 5. WEAK trojan and spyware scan
bitdefender - not free, could be slow
avast - not free, havent tested it myself
ZoneAlarm security suite - not free, my favourite

Just antivirus

avg - free
kaspersky - not free, new version is too slow for old comp, try v6 or v 5,WEAK trojan and spyware scan
bitdefender not free, could be slow
NOD - weak but consume little resource

Firewall

jetico - have free one
commodo - have free one
zonealarm - free one is not v.good

Others
spybot - must have
Peer Guardian - must have!!

I use ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, it uses antivirus engine form Kaspersky and Spyware scanner from CA. Which makes it a good for me...

It really depends what is your need in the end. If you want some good stuffs thats not going to be free... Infact none of the paid one fits my need completely, so I chose the closest one for me...

Thats why spybot is a good one as rootkit scanner choice...

If you want to goto Chinese forum and download Chinese bits, its advised that you use a powerful on access scanner such as bitdefender and kaspersky, because even they FAIL at scanning SOME Trojans... and basically kills your antivirus after that. You will need multiple defensive measures for that.

In general, it really depends if you wanna do a free on or paid/cracked one.

But one thing is for sure, you want heavy p2p? spybot search and destroy and peer guardian...
Teatime from spybot get registry change check which helps in some cases...

Yeah thats about it...

ChronoSphere
05-13-2008, 04:54 AM
peerguardian for p2p
avg as anitvir
comodo/sygate as firewall

about spyware (and malware in general): just think where you click and you're fine. Last time I caught myself a spyware was like 3 years ago. NoSpcript + AdBlock for FF helps to not catch malware while browsing.

about zonealarm - it still cannot handle many simultaneous connections, bad for p2p. (Last time i tried ZA was few months ago, was the free version though)

demonix00
05-13-2008, 05:20 AM
peerguardian for p2p

Don't bother with peerguardian since it's a placebo and the block lists it provides can easily block innocent users (I suggest you look on the subdemon forums in relation to this)

ChronoSphere
05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Link?
Don't really think pg2 is a placebo... well, w/e. it didn't block anything i didn't want it to block so far.

solarenemy
05-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Muff, where the hell do you surf and torrent to get all these attacks? Is have uTorrent running 24/7 and surf all the time. I only use Avast and no other securtiy software. I have never had any trouble with attacks or spamming IP's. All your problems seem to revolve around your surfing habits or the trackers and peers you use. The only other security I have is my routers hardware firewall. I have never gotten a trojan or virus in the past 10 years of using cable and a router.

Vyo
05-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Hmm, I don't use any anti-virus/firewall/etc... programs, because they can't offer 100% protection, it is mostly depend on how you use the computer. I only use one program name IceSword to manually delete virus/rootkit, and I only get like 2~3 viruses in the last 3 years :P

Some tips:
- Never double click anything unless you sure what it do, especially with exe files.
- Don't surf suspicious websites

And if you only use your computer for torrenting, I don't think you will need any protection at all, just close all the ports except the torrent's one.

Edit: I get those virus because my brother often *double* click his friends USB drivers.

firzenex
05-13-2008, 07:05 PM
had it before, its a lame trojan, minor security breach.

MuffDiver99
05-13-2008, 08:10 PM
I come across harmful scripts quit often, but spy sweeper usually picks them up.

solarenemy
05-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Are sure your software is not just picking up false alarms. If you have Heuristic scanning set to sensitive it will flag in code that it does not recognize as a virus. It will even name it by comparing it to the closest match. I have been surfing the web since the days of Modems and bulletin board systems. The only time I got a virus or trojan was way back then. Since the internet has come about I have yet to get either. It just seems odd to me. The way you talk you seem like a magnet for evil code. Which has to have some connection that no one else is doing since we all never get as many bugs as you.

MuffDiver99
05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
I opened this thread not because I encounter lots of virus and stuff. I opened this thread because all these new security software that I have never heard of are making me paranoid.

why are internet security companies releasing these products? what new threats are available on the internet? I want to know if internet is really as malicious as these corporations want me to believe. that was my question in this topic. either I misphrased it somewhere, or you misread my question.

solarenemy
05-13-2008, 09:26 PM
They make it so you will buy it. Most paranoid people will buy into their advice and propaganda of a dangerous internet. The buy their software to put up a useless wall to protect from a nonexistent threat. The internet is no more dangerous now then it was five years ago. All the companies are doing now is putting everything in one package instead of you having to buy many. How dangerous the internet is depends on how you use it. that is all it boils down to.

wingmare
05-14-2008, 03:31 AM
In fact, the only things you need is actually a firewall, a scanner and a smart user to prevent infections...
I hardly see any virus from my heavy multimedia loading in western and asian torrents. When they show up, they usually obvious too.
I know some people who torrents and installed no programs mentioned earlier... And he didnt get any problems at all for almost a year now...

Kanzar
05-14-2008, 04:13 AM
I do agree with having an AV and firewall. There are some security suites which are 'all-in-one' packages, which may be something you want to consider. IIRC, Kaspersky, ESET and Zonealarm all offer all-in-one packages (none free, although with ESET Smart Security, you can use update logins from a certain Chinese site).

As long as you don't download and run stupidly, you minimise your chances to almost nil. There's always a tiny chance you'll have the misfortune of coming up against a completely new virus, or you get targeted by a hacker (unlikely), so you're never safe.

There's something else I use for additional protection, and that's Sandboxie. It's sorta like a VM, and isn't entirely necessary. Freeware, pay a fee to unlock certain features that aren't entirely needed.

demonix00
05-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Link?
Don't really think pg2 is a placebo... well, w/e. it didn't block anything i didn't want it to block so far.

this do you for the one (http://www.subdemon.com/forum/index.php?topic=9864.0) and to add more here's another (http://www.subdemon.com/forum/index.php?topic=1395.0) and make sure you read the whole of that thread (all 11 pages) and just for an extra kicking read the second post in this thread for another reason why PG2 is so useless (http://www.subdemon.com/forum/index.php?topic=1421.0).

MuffDiver99
05-16-2008, 12:15 AM
does jetico 1.0 still updates?
does comodo 2.4 still updates?

I have online armor right now but it doesn't do automatic updates, you have to uninstall to update to the new one.

outpost free version is outdated, I tried to find a cracked paid version, found malware
sunbelt kerio sux
don't wanna use zone alarm crack

MuffDiver99
05-16-2008, 01:08 AM
and if pg2 doesn't work there's always tor

ChronoSphere
05-16-2008, 07:10 AM
does comodo 2.4 still updates?unless you are on win2k and below, you can use their 3.0 version of the firewall.

@demonix00: read through the linked threads... i get the idea why it's nearly useless. What can i say, more ram for me :D

MuffDiver99
05-16-2008, 07:26 PM
unless you are on win2k and below, you can use their 3.0 version of the firewall.

I am indeed using win2k, that's why I ask if it still updates

wingmare
05-16-2008, 10:36 PM
win2k's support is long ceased wasnt it?
with the latest service pack u can get...
is there a reason you stick to win2k?

MuffDiver99
05-16-2008, 11:13 PM
win2k's support is long ceased wasnt it?
with the latest service pack u can get...
is there a reason you stick to win2k?

sorry I misphrased. what I meant is whether or not comodo 2.4 still updates.

ChronoSphere
05-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Well, I installed the 2.4 version on an old laptop running win2k and it did check for updates and didn't find anything, so i guess it doesn't. But I don't think it matters much anyway.

The only reason to use win2k is having a low spec system (Ram < 256MB) imho. winXP (properly configured) is more worth it on systems with 256MB and above.

wingmare
06-06-2008, 02:19 AM
This thread is old i know, but i think many of you might be interested?
CA's new security suite (http://shop.ca.com/malware/internet_security_suite.aspx)
best part is that they even provide coverage like insurance company XD (http://shop.ca.com/STContent/Warranty/warranty.aspx)
A review for it form pcadvisor (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=1382)

oh btw, CA is supposingly the second largest firm in online security...
have fun XD

EDIT:
did some research on the suite

The engine that is used for CA Antivirus is WCL, ICSA and VB100% certified and is well equipped to find and clean any viruses that it finds on your computer.