PDA

View Full Version : I want to reinstall windows, but I dont have my ..

Makari
08-21-2008, 11:01 AM
So, I've had so many different problems with my pc, and now I've decided to reinstall it..
Little problem, I can't find my CD's!
I've got the product key, registration-key, or CD-key, whatever the right name is, but I simply can't find my windows CD's.
So, I was wondering: Do any of you know how I can reinstall it then? And I mean, delete every single thing, and reinstall it to back how mother earth originally made it.
I've thought about burning it on CD's, but I'm not sure if it would work, and if I can do it correct.

ANY help would be lovely, thanks.

shiracld
08-21-2008, 11:14 AM
dl a copy off the net
burn
use your key~?
<- too lazy today >__<

solarenemy
08-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Yep. try www.torrentreactor.com. You can download an image file, burn it to a disk, and then use your CD key. When you buy Windows, the key is what you are paying for and it will work with all CD's.

Makari
08-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Okay you two, thanks a lot!

Any applications that can burn CD images? Dumb question, I mean, do you know any?

solarenemy
08-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Nero, PowerISO, Alcohol120% and Burn4free are several off the top of my head.

Haloman
08-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Alcohol 120 and DvD Decrypter are the most usual, and the best to use

kingx11
08-21-2008, 01:06 PM
be sure to dl a image file not those KLV ones wich does'nt work with your key

ChronoSphere
08-21-2008, 01:37 PM
There could be one problem with downloading an iso off internet.
If you have the key for a "normal" version of windows that you have to activate within 30 days, you won't be able to use it on a "corporate" version (the one that doesn't need activation). And so far.. i didn't see this "normal" one on the net, only the "corporate" ones =/

edit: i think if you really have a legal key, you can contact microsoft and get a new CD for a small fee (for the CD)

April Angela
08-21-2008, 03:22 PM
or just make sure you download a clean copy of your windows

if your cd key is for windows XP professional sp2 then u DL that version

invissense
08-21-2008, 03:57 PM
1. Download a window software that you want.
2. Burn it onto a DVD or CD. (write down the serials: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx)
3. Pop the DVD or CD into the drive and restart your computer. You may have to press F8 or F2 or F5. Not really sure. I don't need to do it cause my computer boot from DVD drive. :p
4. Press F8 for the agreement and format your drive, don't select the "Quick format."
5. The rest, just follow the instructions.

Before you do any of those, check if you have a recover disks. If you do, you don't need to follow the 5 steps above. The recover disks should take care of all your issue. It work just like system restore.

Chaotic Heavens
08-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Another solution if you bought the computer from a manufacturer is to call that manufacturer and ask for replacements. I've been told that it will cost ~$20, but it's a lot simpler than having to find the correct version of Windows that works with your CDKey.

Makari
08-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks to for all the answers, what's left now is to consider which is the best gamble.