Collapse
X
Collapse

• (Review) ToraDora!

ToraDora!

25 Episodes -

Original run from October 2, 2008 to March 26, 2009

Genre: Romantic-Comedy

Disclaimer: This is my first review proper for the general population of HF (Outside my blog). So, any constructive criticism is welcome. I did my best to assure a nice read but I'm sure I've some aspects to improve.

Ah, Toradora! This is the kind of anime that sooner or later you will hear about. Especially if you’re into romantic comedies. So, the questions are: is it as good as they say? Or is it as boring and shallow as you are thinking? Well, I’d say it’s not great but not bad either. Keep reading to find out why.

Let’s begin with the technical aspects.

The art style is a delicious mix of two worlds: Shojo and Shonen, with a clear preference for the former. The vivid colors and high quality animation blow other romantic comedies out of the water. Even the action scenes are nicely done.
    In the sound department, there’s some strong voice acting here: The seiyuu can deliver both comedy and drama in a believable way. Hearing Taiga’s lustfully voice when she’s staring at Kitamura’s pictures is always a joy.

On the other hand the music is so-so. The tunes just do the job most of the times, and none of them is particularly memorable. Now, both sets of Openings and Endings are cool stuff, with the first one being my personal favorite. Maybe because the second set won’t come until episode 16, and that left little time to get used to the new theme.

Now, let’s talk about the story: The series starts off a little rough, with Taiga and Ryuji, who look like your typical main couple of this type of stories: Taiga is the tsundere girl begging for a guy to tame her; And Ryuji is that guy with an undeserved bad reputation. Even more, it just happened that they lived next to each other, so they can be together all day. Duh.

You must wait until episode 5 for the show to become interesting, after the introduction of Ami, a teen idol in hide. This character made me realize something that wasn’t all that obvious at the beginning: Toradora! is more than just the main couple.

The supporting characters really help this show to stand out. Especially the trio of Kitamura, Minorin and Ami. Minorin is the hyperkinetic best friend of Taiga that cheers the series from the very beginning with her LOL moments; Kitamura gives a comic relief that Ryuji personality doesn’t allow all times, and Ami is like the most mature and relaxed character of them all.

Now, I have to say that I enjoyed more the “High School” feeling of Toradora! than its romance premise.

It’s really nice to recognize those great small bits of school years: Characters toying with each other, doing silly pranks and jokes, and talking about wacky dreams and stuff. Even the most tertiary characters are there to put that “Lovely last year class” feeling that’s so rewarding to see in stories like this. Scenes showing the awkwardness prior to a dancing festival, or a final trip and the emotions that it arises in characters like Minorin or Taiga, really remind me of the best parts of the otherwise tedious high-school education.

And besides that great aspect of the show, there’s love of course. But before you are rewarded with it, you must endure the middle-arc of the series. Oh, God. That is Toradora! darkest moment.

This anime enjoyed a very comedy-centric style with a bit of romance until episode 13 or so, when Taiga’s father comes into scene, and something there just told me it was the calm before the storm. I was right, just one episode later, all of a sudden the series makes a complete shift to teen drama, and it’s not handled very well.

Somehow, episodes 14 to 20 feel the same like the character epilogues of Tales of Legendia.
    That is, the story focus on one supporting character after another, developing their conflicts for a couple of episodes and then moving on to the next target.

It’s rather predictable and becomes tiresome soon. Minorin, Kitamura and Ami, characters you learned to like and care about are given the melodrama treatment. These guys used to be fun fellas and now they are crying all over the place and Toradora! becomes something embarrassing to watch. These episodes are a test of your tolerance to corny situations.

So, it’s surprising to see how the show makes a complete recovery when all those sub-arcs are done. Out with the melodrama, in with a more compelling romantic setting. The last 5 episodes are Toradora! at its best.

Once the supporting cast became BFF with everyone and isn’t crying anymore, the series finally focuses on Taiga and Ryuji and things get more serious and dramatic (in a good sense).

So, by episode 25 everything comes to a very pleasant conclusion. Because, unlike many harem/romantic comedies Toradora! has a finale that doesn’t feel forced or rushed. Be sure to keep watching after the credits roll, as the last couple of sweet minutes are shown.

Oh, wait, I can’t make a Toradora! review without mentioning Inko-Chan, that stupid and scary parrot of Ryuji. Whoever thought the sick bird gag was a smart joke to play for the entire series should be punished with fire. Inko-Chan is the only C class element on what is a much better series overall.

As rewarding as a romantic comedy can be, Toradora! doesn’t shake the ground of genre conventions, but, it still manages to be a heartwarming experience, with characters that come alive and pop their heads above the generic animes and a story that, in despite of a convulsed mid-arc, is satisfying and completed. This series will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, if you keep watching until the end.

------------------

ToraDora!

Characters: 85%

Story: 60%

Animation: 90%

Sound: 60%

Final Score (not an average): 72%

• Telsa
      Telsa commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh there was no hostility on my part and i changed my response a couple of times before posting to try and tone it down, though text over the internet has no tone and i think i failed to do so. I was merely trying to express that the one thing that made it great for me,(though it was a bit Corney, cannot deny that) was the one thing you went into actual detail that you did not like about the show. While i saw it as the one major redeeming factor that made it different as an anime or even original concept in comparison to every anime cliche in the book, so i had to strongly disagree with the review as i felt differently, though things are different to everyone and i have no quams about agreeing to disagree, you did a good job, and thank you for supporting and participating in the hongfire community, glad to see such activity.
      Last edited by Telsa; 08-26-2011, 12:44 AM.

• John 117
      John 117 commented
      Editing a comment
      There is gonna be a OVA released somewhere in December Look forward to it(THe Ova is bundled with a luraysof toradora

• pixa
      pixa commented
      Editing a comment
      hey, dont forget about the awesome ost 'lost my piece' which played when taiga run after ryuji on christmas, it's an epic one
      anyway i agree the ending wasn't satisfying enough even though it's a happy ending
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• [Review] Call of Duty : Advanced Warfare
    Vega004

Minimum Requirements:
    OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Windows 8 64-Bit / Windows 8.1 64-Bit
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-530 @ 2.93 GHz / AMD Phenom™ II X4 810 @ 2.60 GHz
    Memory: 6 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 450 @ 1GB / ATI® Radeon™ HD 5870 @ 1GB
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Hard Drive: 55 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Recommended Requirements: OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Windows 8 64-Bit / Windows 8.1 64-Bit Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz Memory: 8 GB RAM Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 @ 4GB DirectX: Version 11 Network: Broadband Internet connection Hard Drive: 55 GB available space Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c Compa...
    11-13-2014, 03:01 AM
  • [Review] Nagi No Asukara
    sithstormjedi

Alternative title:
    From Calm Tomorrow
    A Lull in the sea
    凪のあすから
    Studio: P.A. Works
    Airing date: Fall 2013
    Discussion thread

PV:

Plot Overview

Characters & Story "Is it better to have loved and lost than to never to have loved at all?" Mari Okada as a writer has always been a mixed bag, she could write moving stories found in Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day, powerful teenage dramas in True Tears to less than likable stories where she puts drama for the sake of drama such as in Aquarion Evol, AKB0048 and to an extent Fractale. But luckily, Nagi No Asukara is one of her best works yet. Originally I was under the impression that this series will be in a similar vein of Romeo & Julliet when the first episode showed us a world whe...
    04-06-2014, 01:48 AM
  • [Review] Bioshock Infinite (XBOX360, PS3, PC)
    Juas

Bioshock is one of the best games of the current generation for both critics and gamers due to its excellent story and pace. Ken Levine, the mind behind the game, created a masterful game in 2007 so all gamers have been waiting for a long time to see something completely new from him. But the wait is over and Bioshock Infinite is here.

Story

"Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt". Booker Dewitt knows nothing about that girl they mention, but he accepts the offer with great pleasure. It sounded like a good deal, or at least that's what he thought before being left in a lighthouse on the coast of Maine during a storm. Following his instincts he searches for someone or some information, but somehow he ends up in a rocket that sends him to Columbia, a flying city where the girl he is looking for lives. Booker, our detective, should then stay unnoticed between the citizen...
    08-21-2013, 07:21 AM
  • [Review] Evangelion 3.0 You can (not) redo
    Juas

After three long years, the fans of Evangelion have finally received the new and expected movie, Evangelion 3.0 You can (not) redo as the third out of four movies that comprises the Rebuild of Evangelion project. Will it keep the same high-level of the previous movie? Let's take a look.

Story

Previously on Evangelion we had Rei Ayanami, Asuka Langley, Mari Makinami and Shinji Ikari piloting giant robots called Eva fighting against angels that appear to destroy humanity. During 1.0 we saw Shinji and Rei defeat a couple of them without too much effort, on the opposite that what we saw in Evangelion 2.0 were each battle claimed suffering and pain.

At the end of that movie our main characters were facing their limit point through the chaos and destruction caused by the angel Zeruel who seemed unbeatable. In the last moment Shinji, piloting the Eva 01 and wanting to save everyone, but specially Rei Ayanami, defeats the angel. But...
    05-08-2013, 10:11 AM
  • [Review] Psycho Pass
    Alupihan

Year: 2013
    episodes: 22
    Genre: cyberpunk, suspense, science fiction, action
    Studio: Production I.G.
    Writer: Gen Urobuchi
    Director: Naoyoshi Shiotani
    Music: Yugo Kanno

“At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst.”
    - Aristotle
    In world that is under full control of a supercomputer known as the Sibyl System, people are trying hard to save face. Even a slight increase in stress level can make you a latent criminal and be therefore apprehended by the authority. It has its perks and privileges as well, like showing you the proper career for your intelligence level and your contribution to the society will also be determined by the system as well. However, this makes man very dependent on the system and therefore losing all the free will to make a difference or follow their own paths the way they want. This triggered outrage among certain individuals who want to do whatever they want in the society, unfortunately only a handful of them surviv...
    03-23-2013, 10:54 AM
  • [Review] Evangelion 2.0: You can (not) advance
    Juas

In 2009 the second movie of the Rebuild of Evangelion project was released
    in Japan, keeping the idea of a remake of the original series, Hideaki Anno decided to change some things for the new movie version and the result was simply amazing.

Story

In Evangelion 1.0 we left Shinji and Rei piloting the EVA 01 and 00 fighting against monsters called angels that appears in earth from time to time and may cause the destruction of human life like almost occurs 15 years ago. In 2.0 the fight between Angels and humans is more aggressive, so much that Nerv can't afford the risk of keeping just 2 EVAs.

This time we see new pilots (Asuka and Mari) fighting against new Angels in battles where the victory will claim more than physical suffering, it's a point of no return... just as Gendou Ikari (commander of Nerv) expects. This is why SEELE starts to distrust Gendou's real intentions and will activate a countermeasures...
    08-17-2012, 04:07 AM
Working...
X