Phase shift stupidity? or is it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase shift stupidity? or is it?

Heyas, as some of you may know. The frist robot that sparked in paying attention in mecha was a DX gundam from gundamX series. But in fact, my first attempt to watch a whole complete series of mecha was actually gundam SEED. I gotta say that many mechs in there weren't such an attention grabber for me besides strike and a few others. Now this isn't a discussion for which mecha in SEED looks kool, but I wanted to discuss on the mechanical setting called PHASE SHIFT.

Ppl who haven't seen SEED, (watch it!!!!!!) phase shift was a mechanical spec that was introduced in SEED (and only seed series). It had two MAIN properties. One was to give the gundam/MS its color. (otherwise, they're all grey and metal color =.=). Secondly, phase shift provided protection to physical damage. In other words, with phase shift on, weapons like punching/kicking, machine gun bullets, swords and rail-guns etc had their power reduced to almost NULL.

Having knowing what phase shift is, My question would be.......how useful/useless was it in SEED/destiny/stargazer...

One mite noticed that out of all the MS in SEED, only minority of them have physical weapons only....and after Freedom came out, even the Guatz(orwhatever it was called) had beam rifles. Surely, there were scenes which they couldn't have put in without this properly (like kira yamto shooting shin with its rail guns which did nothing, and impluse having his leg pulled off by that big fat MA), which is y its a good topic to discuss =P.

So what do YOU think?

Crappy gimmick in my view. It doesnt even make sense that paint bleaches when a mobile suit's "battery" runs low, and magically re-coats itself when its recharged.

Also the inconsistencies with the next level up of "phase shift plus", with the attachment of the headgear regarding the Forbidden Gundam doesnt even make sense to the originally bafling idea of paint bleaching. If your using a crappy idea continue through with it, dont change it midway to something that mightve worked initially but now makes this phase shift whole concept fall apart.
    Last edited by Zeromanter; 10-25-2009, 03:46 AM.
    Click here for The Greatest Hentai d/l Site on Earth

Comment

apparently transphase (TP armor or phaseshift+) is a lot more power efficient. I don't recall forbidden getting a PS upgrade when he puts his helmet on....><... and yer, for those who don't know, there's PS (phase shift), TP and VPS (variable phase shift), which basically do the same thing =.=''.....

I think they add just too much stuff int the mech design that they didn't use =.=... let 's say head bulcan for instance.... I bet everyone has em, but none ever use it xD. that goes for PS as well....WHO THE HELL DOESN'T USE BEAMS after SEED destiny?

Also, we say that PS blocks physical attacks....ever wondered why raider would think that it was a good move to even use its hammer against gundams.?
      Last edited by suddenlydead; 10-25-2009, 05:01 PM. Reason: typos and fixing stupidity =P

Comment

There's also the thing where the Akatsuki Gundam doesn't use Phase Shift and is basically immune to all beam weapons because of the mirror coating.. It sorta backtracks on technology since EVERYONE and THEIR MOMMAS now use beam weapons, it makes Phase Shift Redundant. However it doesn't protect it from physical/live ammo attacks.

I'd say more but I sorta can't understand what you're saying.. around the middle of your post it gets sorta unreadable.

Besides, why are you asking us to make sense of SEED?

Originally posted by TenguSan
        105xSTRIKER just asked me to comment on this thread

Comment

nah, i just thought id put it up since it sounds like a good topic...u could say that since gundam IS a real type mecha series, u mite wanna at least make SOME sense out of it =P

Comment

Originally posted by Zeromanter View Post
            Crappy gimmick in my view. It doesnt even make sense that paint bleaches when a mobile suit's "battery" runs low, and magically re-coats itself when its recharged.
            Depending on how Phase Shift actually works, the color shifting can actually be explained. If the Phase Shift operates by agitating the armor on a molecular level (say turning the entire mobile suit's armor into what is effectively a vibro blade that rips apart any solid state matter on impact), you might get specific patterns of movement that only reflect specific parts of the color spectrum, sort of like polaroid glasses...

The idea is pretty far out, but the pseudo-science sort of works. It's no worse than brainwave controlled funnels atleast...

Comment

They backtracked into utter idiocy...

Suddenly the Minosky particle was not enough... when it actually
              was.

I blame the retards in charge of the script.

And by the way, is way easier to change colors. Just apply some
              electric charge or heat. Sure someone had one of those toy cars
              which changed colors on hot water for instance or just rubbin it with
              your bare hands.

In resume they just wanted a obvious visual cue of the
              "power level" ala Dragon Ball.

Resorting on half baked seudoexplanations doesnt help at all.
              Last edited by Lord Zero; 10-28-2009, 04:46 AM.
              With a infinite number of universes, your life is interesting on one of them.

We`ve got to part now, you and I, but dont be sad America. The Enclave is working tirelessly, to rebuild this great nation, so you dont have to. Until we meet again, this is President Zero, signing off.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Zero View Post
                Resorting on half baked seudoexplanations doesnt help at all.
                i'd buy that quote even if it costed a drink LOL.

would anyone reckon, that if SEED went on WITHOUT phase shift, would it somehow change the background settings?
                oh, and also head vulcan xD..

How much of the story would have to change? would it lead to something different in the end?

It a bit different from psyco powered funnels, in the fact that it buys from new-type, whilst in SEED, phase shift and coordinators don't realli match.....?

you could say that the question is.....how important was PS in SEED?

Comment

In SEED, it's pretty important, but in GSD, not much (or should I say, worthless). Remember, the reason why the Gundam are so strong is because of its indestructible armor, not only its power. They wouldn't bother trying to capture Strike Gundam if it can be taken down after a couple of hits. Another important point is phase-shift armor provides a Gundam with incredible armor (in the setting that beam weapon haven't been wide develop yet) with smallest weight possible, which won't effect much to its mobility.

But having phase-shift armor doesn't mean you are invincible since it can't protect you from impact's force, like how helmet can protect your head from impact, but with enough force, your neck will still break.

I doubt the story will change just because a part of technology isn't available, though. Later on, Kira didn't get hit that much to say the phase-shift armor is something crucial.

Comment

Originally posted by suddenlydead View Post
                    Heyas, as some of you may know. The frist robot that sparked in paying attention in mecha was a DX gundam from gundamX series. But in fact, my first attempt to watch a whole complete series of mecha was actually gundam SEED. I gotta say that many mechs in there weren't such an attention grabber for me besides strike and a few others. Now this isn't a discussion for which mecha in SEED looks kool, but I wanted to discuss on the mechanical setting called PHASE SHIFT.

Ppl who haven't seen SEED, (watch it!!!!!!) phase shift was a mechanical spec that was introduced in SEED (and only seed series). It had two MAIN properties. One was to give the gundam/MS its color. (otherwise, they're all grey and metal color =.=). Secondly, phase shift provided protection to physical damage. In other words, with phase shift on, weapons like punching/kicking, machine gun bullets, swords and rail-guns etc had their power reduced to almost NULL.

Having knowing what phase shift is, My question would be.......how useful/useless was it in SEED/destiny/stargazer...

One mite noticed that out of all the MS in SEED, only minority of them have physical weapons only....and after Freedom came out, even the Guatz(orwhatever it was called) had beam rifles. Surely, there were scenes which they couldn't have put in without this properly (like kira yamto shooting shin with its rail guns which did nothing, and impluse having his leg pulled off by that big fat MA), which is y its a good topic to discuss =P.

So what do YOU think?
                    Hi five with DX, DX is my favorite of all time. X is fine with me too.

Comment

Btw, we should all know after turn A serie, gundam serie has gone into the fan boy style. I believe Bandai thinks that can make more money. Just look at how many people are crazy with gundam seed and gundam 00. We should really relief about how U.C. is not like any of them.

Comment

i totally agree with what u say and place gundam unicorn in the faces of whoever thinks gundam seed / 00 > UC ><''

Comment

I think it can be used as an indicator of the mobile suit's remaining energy level. "OH! That gundam turned gray, let's finish it off!!... Oh crap, we've been tricked.. NOOO!!"

Comment

Working...
                          X