Announcement

Collapse

Please use the Hentai ID thread for all hentai ID requests. Click me for link!

The Identification Thread is Here:

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/447081
See more
See less

Monster Girl Quest - Part 1 - Full English Patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Girl Quest - Part 1 - Full English Patch

EDIT: My blog for updates on this, and other games I've translated/am translating is here: http://roguetranslations.wordpress.com/

Part 2 Thread: http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/400485

Word Wrap Update
    Thanks to the efforts of SomeLoliCatgirl, the word wrap issue has been resolved! Check out his post in the thread here for more information/to thank him.

KNOWN ISSUES
    Saving: You cannot save anywhere you want during the game. You can only save at specific, marked locations. More information is contained in the readme and at the start of the game.

Gameplay: I started the patch based off the original version. Any bugs that were present in that are present here too (Notably if you surrender to the Slime, there's a small chance the game will crash).

Text issues: If you're not in Japanese locale, any instance of double-byte text will look strange. Should still be playable though. In addition, in some cases when a monster uses an absorption attack, it won't display how many HPs she restored.

I'll update any serious crash bugs as soon as people find them, since they can be pretty debilitating. If your game crashes, check back here to see if I've updated and fixed it (I'll list what I change, and when I change it).

Acquiring the game itself
    I'd recommend buying it. This is the first game produced by a small doujin group, who has already announced two more. It's on the english DLsite at http://www.dlsite.com/ecchi-eng/work.../RE074254.html (You have to hit enter on the URL bar again to get it to redirect correctly).

Installing
    Unrar the .RAR you downloaded into the game's installation folder. I'd recommend backing up the nscript.dat, as that is the game's original script.
    If asked to overwrite any files, choose yes.

If you crash, the first thing I'd recommend doing is setting your system locale to Japanese, and seeing if it happens again.

Patch Itself
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?e8be0i15k2x63xt Script

COMMON GAME CRASHES
    I crash when the angel appears to show me how to fight!
    You need to run the game in Japanese locale. You can either set your system locale to Japanese ( A guide is here http://www.dlsite.com/eng/faq/down#d_q9 ), or you can use applocale ( A guide is here http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showth...=328830&page=1 ).

I crash when Luka wakes up in the morning!
    You're using the trial version of the game. The english script is not compatible with the trial version, and will always crash when it's unable to open the "morning.ogg" file.

Game FAQ
    Spoiler

Q. How do I get the last entry in the encyclopedia?
    A. Do 50 "Evaluations" with Ilias after losing a fight.

Q. When is part 2 available? / Are you translating it? / How long will it take?
    A. There is no set release date. My current plan is to translate the second one as well. No estimation can be given on time, since it's dependent on how long the game is, and when the game is released. I'll make another post in Hongfire when a release date is given, though.

Q. Will the completed save from part 1 work in part 2?
    A. The saves from the English version DO work if you switch them to the Japanese version, so I believe that they will be imported correctly. No way to know for sure, though.

Q. You do know you can save anywhere as long as you hit alt + f4 to close out of the game afterward, right?
    A. Yes, but there is a slight chance it can corrupt the save. In addition, it usually sends you back to the last "Safe Save Location", or last instance of double byte text. This means the save locations would still be needed in the game, so it isn't a great solution.

Q. Why did you translate X as X instead of as X?
    A. There are a few reasons:
    1. For names, items, and skill names, it usually came down to space limitations, and spacing issues with single byte text in the skillname, name, and itemname fields.
    2. For dialogue it was either on accident, or because I thought it would sound more natural in English.

Q. How many mistranslations are in the game?
    A. Probably a decent amount. I'm not a native speaker, nor a professional translator, so mistakes are bound to happen. Since I did this for fun, I also valued speed of translation over strict accuracy on a line by line basis. I took the approach of "Meaning is more important than word usage". That is, the meaning conveyed by the dialogue is more important than the words used. If you can get the same meaning across in a more natural way by changing the verbs / adjectives, then I usually did that. There are also a few locations where I changed the joke or pun since I thought it would be funnier.

Special Thanks
    Special thanks go out to:
    Xilium for figuring out / creating the images for the text in the Encylopedia.
    Zin for creating the Monmusu title screen image.
    Everyone who informed me of crashes, spelling errors, etc... Especially the guy that sent me a list of around 160 of them.
    Last edited by RogueTranslator; 09-27-2011, 08:44 PM. Reason: Word wrap added thanks to SomeLoliCatgirl

yes, thank you very much for the hard work. are you doing this by yourself? ...cuz that would be pretty badass! best of luck to you

Comment

Good news, I managed to fix the issues some people might have seen in that sample patch I put up with just after the slime fight, where you saw strange symbols instead of the damage dealt in combat. It was a weird issue with how the game handles the numbers and prints them in the string, but with some rewording and odd spacing changes, I made it so the numbers should show up correctly for every fight.

The two biggest issues that remain are still saving with single-byte English characters on-screen, and the word wrap (an automatic word-wrap, that is It would be possible to manually wrap it, but that would take forever).

50% looks like it will be around when they reach the library on Sentora. I'll try to find a "good" stopping point for that.

Comment

Awesome progress, i can't thank you enough for you ^^

Seriously, i don't really care about the word wrap problem, as long as i can understand/read the script, i'm satisfied

Comment

I support this initiative. Good luck and thank you!

Comment

Where did you upload your simple patch at?

Comment

On another forum, it's at: http://www.mediafire.com/?orzy5c8r2ui8244

The stuff I had there has been edited a little since I posted it a few weeks ago. If anyone can figure out how to enable saving with english characters or the automatic word wrap, that would be cool.

EDIT: As I said before, it only goes until the end of the Slime fight. It was more to see if anyone had any ideas about the two issues I was having than anything.

Comment

I registered on MGU and read through the whole Monster Girl Encyclopedia and lore booklet.

HOLY SHIT. The Monster Girl universe is so well-developed you'd think he'd spawn a frickin' franchise off of this work. Is the game as interactive and well-developed as the encyclopedia makes it out to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Johnson View Post
                  I registered on MGU and read through the whole Monster Girl Encyclopedia and lore booklet.

HOLY SHIT. The Monster Girl universe is so well-developed you'd think he'd spawn a frickin' franchise off of this work. Is the game as interactive and well-developed as the encyclopedia makes it out to be?
                  Storywise there's a great deal of information (with more to be fleshed out in parts 2 and 3). In terms of gameplay, no, it's not particularly interactive. There are some RPG-ish battles, many of which are puzzle fights, and in some cases you have the option of going off on side quests, but most of the time you're just sitting and watching. You might agree to help root out some bandits that are threatening a village, for example, in which case you just click on the "bandit lair" on the map - the game will then auto-pilot you through a sequence of battles with intervening dialogue.

I'm looking forward to the project, but it's very much a visual novel with some pseudo-RPG trappings, rather than an actual RPG.
                  I wish those who unsettle you would castrate themselves.
                  - Galatians 5:12

Elysium update thread: http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291459
                  Latest version: 0.11 (March 31st, 2012)

Comment

Honestly, before this game, I was wholly unfamiliar with the encyclopedia or lore to the world. My ignorance of the general "monster world" may come out in parts of the game, as I'm not sure if it was intended to reflect something that already existed or if it was it's own unique world.

As for the game, it's as Seyser said. It's more traditional visual novel with some RPG clicking, and is more linear than FF13. The fights are mostly puzzlish, and if you want it to be at least sort of a challenge (as in needing to fight the monsters a couple times to win), start the game on hard. Still kind of easy, though. The fights get a little more varied once you get the Meditation skill that restores half your health.

Comment

Originally posted by Seyser Koze View Post
                      Storywise there's a great deal of information (with more to be fleshed out in parts 2 and 3). In terms of gameplay, no, it's not particularly interactive. There are some RPG-ish battles, many of which are puzzle fights, and in some cases you have the option of going off on side quests, but most of the time you're just sitting and watching. You might agree to help root out some bandits that are threatening a village, for example, in which case you just click on the "bandit lair" on the map - the game will then auto-pilot you through a sequence of battles with intervening dialogue.

I'm looking forward to the project, but it's very much a visual novel with some pseudo-RPG trappings, rather than an actual RPG.
                      Heh, I guess I got my hopes up too high. So it isn't as free-roaming and open-ended as I expected.

So it's the standard beat/lose-to-a-monster-get-a-sex-scene-and-move-on-with-the-story type of game?

The encyclopedia really goes into your married life/relationship with each monster after she falls in love with you, but seeing the game is around 500mb, I guess I definitely am asking for way too much.

Edit: I just read RogueTranslator's post and now I am indeed a sad panda.

Comment

The game is fairly dark, too. Some of the endings are pretty brutal for Luka. Still has its funny moments, though.

EDIT: There's roughly 85 or so H-scenes, and about 79 of them are game-over-rape. Some of them also involve him getting eaten by the monsters. You can choose to skip the vore scenes, though. Vore isn't really my cup of tea, but I'm a depraved individual so the game-over-rape stuff is. Hah.
                        Last edited by RogueTranslator; 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Damn it, I hate losing on purpose to have to see sex scenes . At least I'm playing as a guy so it's a little less awkward.

Apparently, there's a game called "Monster Girl Unlimited RPG v.0.9".

Here's a NSFW screenie: http://www.imagerise.com/view.php/143804_1.jpg.html

This was the first screenshot I saw of Monster Girl which led me to the speculation that it was like a free-roaming RPG due to the health and mana bar display.

Comment

Well, if you lose (which usually results in death after the introductory areas) you're brought to a menu where you can just do the fight over. So it doesn't set you back that far.

Usually I just held down CTRL to speed through the defeat scenes and see what happened to him at the end.
                            I wish those who unsettle you would castrate themselves.
                            - Galatians 5:12

Elysium update thread: http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291459
                            Latest version: 0.11 (March 31st, 2012)

Comment

To be honest I liked the game but I wished it didn't have so many "junk" fights where the girl is clearly drawn by a much inferior artist (as opposed to whoever drew Alice.) Maybe they could get the plot going faster instead of having to split it into "three games" then.
                              Maybe I had wanted it this way.
                              Maybe I had entrusted my death to you all along.
                              Lord Nobunaga... death is so peaceful...
                              I'm finally free from your cruelty.
                              HF-Bishoujo Games Member #43

Comment

Today I tried the translation patch RogueTranslator released on page 4. From what's been translated, I find the game quite cute actually and really enjoy the humor. Can't wait for the full version to be released, especially since RT's english patch stopped just when things were getting interesting with the unconscious girl and all.

Comment

Working...
                                X