Announcement

Collapse

Please use the Hentai ID thread for all hentai ID requests. Click me for link!

The Identification Thread is Here:

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/447081
See more
See less

Souten no Celenaria Translation Project - announcement and first release

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Souten no Celenaria Translation Project - announcement and first release

So I was bored one month, and decided to try my hand at creating an English translation patch for the game I'm currently playing, Souten no Celenaria. I need to work on some big programming project every now and then, or the geek content in my blood gets too low XD Anyway, I was successful in reverse engineering the game's file formats, allowing me to put modified content back in. I've released the first patch here, which contains all the English-translated images (I think future patches, which should contain just text, will be far smaller). That thread has some screen shots as well.

A few notes:
    - I didn't realize until today that there was a patch put out by Liar to fix a game bug. I think I ran into the bug and was rather baffled by it, but went on... (it's not fatal, it just skips an event) I'm almost certain that patch won't affect this first translation patch, or vice versa, because they don't modify the same files. Still, I haven't tried it out extensively.
    - Japanese text tends to expand greatly when translated into English, and in most cases I was contrained to use the same size button, text box, etc. as the original text. In a few cases I had to REALLY squeeze stuff horizontally to get it to fit. Everything is still readable to me at my resolution (1280x1024) in both window and fullscreen modes, but if someone finds something that came out unreadably small, let me know.
    - Since there doesn't seem to be any official Romanization of names or terms like they had for Cannonball, at least any that I could find, the names are pretty much a combination of common sense, my whim, and Google searches
    - I will continue to work on the rest of the text translation, but I can't put any sort of schedule on it. I'll probably release the patches chapter by chapter.
    - If you don't want to wait (and who does?) and you don't mind the sometimes... interesting translations, with the images translated the game should at least be more playable with a tool like Oh Text Hooker (although I have no idea if it's compatible with this game or not).

I'm mainly doing this for my own education/amusement, but if other people enjoy it as well, all the better.
    ~HF-Mimikko #06~
    Currently Playing: Sugar Coat Freaks
    Currently Working On: Liar-soft Cannonball English Translation Project - discussion - release

Nice job. Looks good.

Comment

Nice! However, I have a suggestion - try not to use Comic Sans. I feel that it's overused, and that it doesn't add to the 'feel' of the game. This site explains it better than me, though.

Comment

Boy, people will put up a web site for anything these days, won't they If you really want to know, I went with Comic Sans because it wasn't all that far from the original font (which was also exaggerated/comicy, but more jagged/pointy), it's readable when small, and best of all, I didn't have to look through 10,000 fonts to find it. Don't worry; because of the game engine, the rest of the text in the game will be in stunning MS Gothic
        Last edited by smut4biscuit; 11-20-2006, 07:37 PM.
        ~HF-Mimikko #06~
        Currently Working On: Liar-soft Cannonball English Translation Project - discussion - release

Comment

That's a relief. If you'd made the game all comic sans, I may have had to kill myself.

I am curious on how you manage to program the game and create a patch. Mind sharing your secrets?

Comment

how far are u now?

Comment

Originally posted by legorichard1 View Post
              how far are u now?
              Celenaria, like the rest of the translation projects I've started, is on hold. I'm really not a great translator - I have a short attention span, and while I understand the text just fine in my head, it's difficult to translate it into English meant for other people to read (it's hard to explain...) The main reason I released this one at all, unlike my other halted attempts, was because I finished the images first and I thought that having the images translated would help people who are playing the game with text hookers.

Basically, Celenaria is still on the list of things I would like to translate, were I more able, but it's no longer at the top of that list.
              ~HF-Mimikko #06~

Comment

watchu translatin now?
                I can dig it

Comment

As longer as there is still hope for this game its alright I think. Good luck with your other projects.

Comment

Originally posted by koroshiya97 View Post
                    watchu translatin now?
                    I'm not working on anything at the moment. For the time being I prefer to work on the technical side of things, doing dialog/image extraction/insertion for other groups looking to produce translations. I'm much better at that : )
                    ~HF-Mimikko #06~

Comment

1st off, Thanks for all your translation projects! You did the entire game Period, which I'm excited to start someday. However, I have a question. The old thread where the Image replacement patch is no longer active. (http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1048935) (linked in OP)

I assume it was removed from these forums by accident during the mass removal of many posts from this forum (I joined in 2008)

Is the patch still in progress? Is it still available?

The most important question I have, if the project is dropped, can I play the English version of Sekien no Inganock before this game? Even tho its the second in the series? They probably are alternate universes, but I thought I would ask you, since you are the expert.

Again, I truly appreciate the time and care going into your projects and I understand how difficult it must be to constantly focus on them and see them through to completion.

Your fan,

Comment

Working...
                      X