Announcement

Collapse

Please use the Hentai ID thread for all hentai ID requests. Click me for link!

The Identification Thread is Here:

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/447081
See more
See less

[Illusion] Koikatu Character Studio - Tutorial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Illusion] Koikatu Character Studio - Tutorial

Looking around online, I couldn't find any comprehensive guide to using the Koikatu Character Studio... so I decided to write one myself.
    Why? The character studio is a powerful tool for making manga and [semi]-original works, and I feel it is underutilized. If I can teach at least one person so they create something new (even a single image), I'll consider my hard work making this tutorial to be paid off.

It's assumed you already have the Character Studio (and preferably the BepInEx plugins) installed. Installation instructions are outside the scope of this tutorial.

You can either follow the images in the thread spoilers, or go straight to the tutorial gallery:
    http://imgbox.com/g/ZAqWKyjt89

Without further ado:

Introduction
    Spoiler

Menus and Buttons
    Studio Update: New 'Reset' buttons for location/rotation/scale. New 'Object' button that provides alternate way to rotate/move objects, similar to map.
    Spoiler

Recommended Settings
    Studio Update: New option at bottom of list, 'Show FK Lines'. Leave it on; it's useful.
    Spoiler

Adding a map
    Spoiler

Adding/Manipulating Objects
    Studio Update: 'Reset' buttons for location/rotation/scale.
    Spoiler

Adding Characters
    Spoiler

Swapping Clothes/Accessories
    Spoiler

Selecting and Using Pre-Made Poses/Animations
    'Display Attached Items' toggles visibility of items that spawn with the animation, if they apply.
    Spoiler

The Kinema/Animation Editing Menu
    'Pose' will import the pose in the same format it was saved in (IK or FK). You don't need to toggle IK or FK first. Oops.
    Spoiler

Editing Poses using Inverse Kinematics
    Definition of 'IK Reset' not technically correct. It changes pose to last selected animation/pose.
    Additionally, you don't have to import or display all the IK's. You can partly apply an animation/pose. Note that this is likely to cause massive distortion if the pose is dissimilar.

Spoiler

Editing Hands using Presets
    Spoiler

Moving the Neck
    Spoiler

Moving the Eyes
    Spoiler

Editing Facial Expressions
    'Mouthpak' means lip-sync; used for spoken lines. My bad.
    Studio Update: 2 new list options under eyebrow and eyes respectively, for displaying over hair. The options are: Configuration Decides, Under, and In Front.

Spoiler

Parenting Objects to Body Parts
    Spoiler

Editing Poses using Forward Kinematics (Fingers/Skirts/Hair)
    Studio update: Praise be! FK's now have lines between nodes representing connected parts. Visualizing skirts and hair much easier now.
    Spoiler

Particle Effects
    Studio Update: Particle parenting issues seem to have been fixed. 'Moving wave' particle still doesn't rotate.
    Spoiler

Camera Presets
    Spoiler

Post Effects/Filters
    Spoiler

Lighting (Character Light specifically)
    Spoiler

Resolution Settings (BepInEx only)
    Spoiler

Results! (Remember to save)!
    Spoiler

Translated Shortcut Keys (Partial credit to Joyuil - I used most of their translations)
    Spoiler

I'll be happy to answer any questions (just make sure you read the tutorial first). If there are any issues regarding the tutorial (typos), let me know.
    I didn't really cover background music and sounds, since I think they're pointless without the ability to make custom animations.

If you made something using the studio, consider posting to this thread:
    [Illusion] Koikatsu (コイカツ!) "CHARA" STUDIO Picture Works

Other useful links:
    [Illusion] koikatu (コイカツ!) - Studio discussion
    [Illusion] koikatu (コイカツ!) - Discussion and FAQ
    Last edited by darkside3d1; 06-29-2018, 04:59 AM. Reason: Reflected studio updates in tutorial notes.
    Senpai! Join the Koikatu Character Studio picture works for fan-made pictures and comics! There's even a discord (it's lit)!
    Interested in the Studio? Want to make your own content? Check out this tutorial I made!

"Mouthpak" is essentially "lip sync". With it on the mouth will move with voice, and off the mouth will not move with voice.

Animations that involves using objects (e.g. dildo, torture poses) used to come with the associated items that can be toggled on/off with that accompanying item toggle in animation menu. For some reason KK do not do it that way...in other words, this is a relic from Studio NEO...for now.

"IK reset" you refer to is not technically IK reset, but rather matches all the IK (or FK) nodes to the currently selected animation. Is not only used to reset but to shift the IK/FK nodes to new animation you select if you changed them. Going back to IK/FK without matching them to animation may result in some awkward situation when the animation's bone setting do not match the pose. Other than hair/skirt, the little button beside their toggle will match the corresponding part to animation, same principle. The IK can be turned off for individual parts if you want them to stay animated, and you can turn off body FK to just use it for head/neck adjustments if you don't need any movement on the body.

The saved poses will load complete with their associated settings, so you don't have to go and enable IK/FK beforehand.

You can switch the game's resolution itself without any mods and the shot will come out accordingly, and there are other ways to deal with watermark (I prefer minimal modding and keep the core game vanilla until the game's end of life, less hassle to updating that way).

You can move the map itself rather than moving the objects and characters to match the map. It finds a lot more use in KK with really big maps that do not spawn at usable place and whatnot.

Don't know when spam will strike again...make sure to keep a bookmark, and expect to bump the thread, or maybe Jacanton can add this to the main thread/studio discussion...

Not my style of learning (that font makes it hard to focus when used for informative purposes or info dump such as this), but I think others may find use for it. Good job making this.

Comment

Thanks for clearing those things up (especially Display Attached Items and Mouthpak). As you probably worked out, I can't read Japanese, so named some things according to what they seem to do.

'IK Reset' seemed appropriate because it reverts the pose back to the previously selected pre-made animation. Personally I'd call it the 'Nuke' button... I lost a few poses by accidentally hitting that button instead of the 'Convert to FK' button (and not saving beforehand - derp).
      I suppose you can toggle some of the IK buttons for various body parts, but partially matching an animation generally results in horrific distortion (if the animation isn't already very similar), thus why I didn't recommend it in the tutorial.

Correct, the 'Pose' will load in the manner it was saved (IK or FK); my bad.

Could you tell me how you change the screenshot resolution and remove watermarks without mods? I only included BepInEx references because I thought it was the only way.

You could move the map to the characters or vice versa. Either way works.

Already sent a message to Jacanton (literally same time as I sent it to you). Haven't heard back yet. Damn spam... if Hongfire wasn't dead enough... I want to broadcast the usefulness of this studio, but since it contains adult material (and technically no one outside of Japan should have it) I feel a bit restricted.

You're right, it probably would have been better and a darn sight less time consuming just to make a YouTube video. Just thought a semi-comic approach might be cute. If I can be bothered, I still might make a video... maybe.

Thanks again!
      Senpai! Join the Koikatu Character Studio picture works for fan-made pictures and comics! There's even a discord (it's lit)!
      Interested in the Studio? Want to make your own content? Check out this tutorial I made!

Comment

I've tried to find the shortcut and I'm quite sure it doesn't exist but asking doesn't hurt.
        Is there a shortcut to move item or character to the camera focal point?
        And is there a fast way to align two characters or items for an animation without using the copy feature? There used to be a function like that in older games.
        Thank you!

Comment

• darkside3d1
          darkside3d1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not really. A slightly awkward way of achieving this would be to: Add an object at the focal point (make sure objects are set to spawn at 'gazing point' in options), select it and the object you want to move, use 'move copy' (under workspace), select the object you just added and delete it.

For pre-made animations, use 'move copy' to generally align the two models, then use the 'pattern' and 'auxiliary' sliders (on both characters) to line up various body parts. Also make sure to press 'Re All' (Reset all animations), so that the timing is correct.
          For custom poses, I'm afraid there's no quick way to align two characters, you'll have to adjust everything manually; especially complicated when you have multiple points of contact. My only word of advice is to make sure the two (or more models) share the same origin point so if you save the pose for later, you'll be able to use the 'move/copy' button to quickly align the pose in future.

Hi, could yo do a tutorial of "the correct way" to add mods?
        the use of the bepInEx? For example, I would like to use this mod http://www.hongfire.com/forum/forum/...03#post6053003 , but in the details it says to copy and paste in the folder "mods" of the game ... and I do not have that folder, then? what should I do? I do not think I should just create the one folder with the name "mods" and that's it ...

Maybe I can be very stupid what I ask, but I'm confused with several things.

Comment

• Borobej
          Borobej commented
          Editing a comment
          This is Sideloader mod - you just create a new folder called "mods" in your game's root folder and put entire zip in it, do not unpack it. And voila, it works. Sideloader itself is a mod (.dll) you put in BePinEx directory, it just replaces the need for hardmods (overwriting files in abdata) so you can revert the mod just by removing zip file from "mods" folder.

And whoa, thanks - last time I checked that link didn't work.

• Asmotheus
          Asmotheus commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank so much @Borobej... You¡re rock!!! ^^
          Last edited by Asmotheus; 07-01-2018, 03:11 AM.

For someone who may interest in make a set of scenes, combined in VN-style novel:
        I released mod for CharaStudio, named VNGameEngine (http://www.hongfire.com/forum/forum/hentai-lair/hf-modding-translation/5990340-illusion-koikatu-koikatsu-コイカツ!-mods-no-discussion-allowed?p=6034645#post6034645 )

It allow you to set texts, navigate throw scenes.
        As an advanced features in 4.0:
        - animated movement between cameras - so you can do cut-scenes if you want
        - manipulating characters in code - move, rotate, scale, switching animations. Additional features can be developed be fans

Hope you enjoy it ))

Comment

Do you happen to know how to create custom animations in CharaStudio?

Comment

quick question - is it possible to close those doors in toilet room?

if possible, how to do it

Comment

hello, i want to know if is there any way to export a character from a scene, ej. i have an scene from internet, that have a really well made character, i can save it as a card? thanks for your help

Comment

Great guide, specially IK/FK part. Made my life easier. But i have a doubt in the workspace sometimes there is a "route" option and i don't know what it does nor how to use it. Could you explain it?

Comment

Is there a way to just add a simple sex animation? Do you need to alter everything to make a male on female animation work like it does in the main game or is there a way to just connect to characters together to get a simple sex scene going? I just want to create scenarios with multiple characters, don't care about animating specific parts too much.

Comment

Working...
                  X