Announcement

Collapse

Please use the Hentai ID thread for all hentai ID requests. Click me for link!

The Identification Thread is Here:

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/447081
See more
See less

Popotan Po! Translation Project Help Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popotan Po! Translation Project Help Needed

Right now we are currently not doing to much due to RL issues, but we are what we need right now is someone good with programing to help build a program to reinsert text (and possibly graphics) as we have been able to extract the former quite easily, but 1 of the graphics might not be able to fit inside the original box (only 1 at this point and likely to stay that way), but the more difficult part has to due with catching where and how the game changes text strings so we can vary the character length. We have tried a number of ways and even with some advice from Sat at LHA haven't been able to find anything.

So if you can help, please let me or BOFH know.

The graphics should be all translated by the end of October if things go well. Defiantly by the holidays as already 50% of it's done.

Anyone know a Reverse-engeenierr by the name "asmodean"? We've been looking to contact him, but his page at rakuten is gone and we can't find his contact info.
    Last edited by Desmonthes; 12-29-2008, 07:04 PM.

not to be pushy or anything, but is this going to be done anytime soon? I would help, but I know next-to-nothing about japanese text... and also, don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but has anyone been having trouble getting the game to install? because when I run the installer, it has funky english symbols instead of japanese text. and it has an error when installing, but I can't tell you what it is when its all composed of $%*$&#{|{@}@#{#*!"@?<><@!$@#

Comment

Originally posted by darkitsuki View Post
      not to be pushy or anything, but is this going to be done anytime soon? I would help, but I know next-to-nothing about japanese text... and also, don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but has anyone been having trouble getting the game to install? because when I run the installer, it has funky english symbols instead of japanese text. and it has an error when installing, but I can't tell you what it is when its all composed of $%*$&#{|{@}@#{#*!"@?<><@!$@#
      It's hard... as they said before, it's out of order. The language is very context heavy, and there's next to no context to base it off of.

I use AGTH to rip the text from the game as you play it, do a search for that line in the dump file, and translate it that way. It bloody takes forever.

Also, you have to change your region/locale settings. Google can help you with that.

Comment

Originally posted by smut4biscuit View Post
        Someone requested assistance with a (non-English) translation of Popotan, so here's the extractor again, unsupported as always.
        Is it the same version as the one you gave me back then?

HF-Loli | HF-Mimikko | HF-Bishoujo Games | HF-Hentai

Comment

Originally posted by Kazman View Post
          It's hard... as they said before, it's out of order. The language is very context heavy, and there's next to no context to base it off of.

I use AGTH to rip the text from the game as you play it, do a search for that line in the dump file, and translate it that way. It bloody takes forever.

Also, you have to change your region/locale settings. Google can help you with that.
          thanks!!! I had changed my computer's language to japanese, but had not changed the unicode settings. also, I might be able to help, probably not the best way to do this, but I could just get the japanese text, and convert it to english with google translate, and then edit it a bit so it's not in broken english.

Comment

And after that we have to go over and edit it to make sure we don't have stupid translation errors like sopha instead of sofa or translation inconsistencies.

Comment

Originally posted by BOFH View Post
              Is it the same version as the one you gave me back then?
              Not exactly... That program constantly changes. In fact, since I uploaded it again in this thread, I fixed another issue with running on XP (I thought it was 32-bit vs. 64-bit, but it turned out to be a difference in Vista/7 vs. XP), so now it should run okay on XP, Vista and 7, 32- and 64-bit. (I believe the problem was only for Littlewitch games, not Popotan, so you probably don't have to worry about it either way.)

Do you need an update, or is the one I gave you back then still working for you?

Also, let me know if you need another 64-bit machine to try something on; I'm running Win7 64-bit and I currently have Popotan DVD installed.
              ~HF-Mimikko #06~
              Currently Playing: Sugar Coat Freaks
              Currently Working On: Liar-soft Cannonball English Translation Project - discussion - release

Comment

Do you need an update, or is the one I gave you back then still working for you?
                Seems to be working on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

As for the testing... I might need it once I update the patch installer.
                *sigh* I need to grab a more current version of Visual Studio from a friend first.

Comment

So we got the PS2 image files extracted thanks to smut4biscuit. Obviously they aren't at the same resolution as the DVD game which is 800x600. Moreso, the images don't appear to be using the exact color scheme and lighting scheme.

Upscaling images is never easy. For a demonstration of the likely quality I've done the pic of the mansion. The first is the PS2 version; the 2nd is the actual game version and the 3rd is an upscaled and edited version of the PS2 version. In such a case where we'd have 2 images available we'd be using the PC version as its higher quality. I have also included a PSD file for a more direct comparison between the PC and modified PS2 version (too big to upload so its compressed).

The other option would be to shrink the ratio to the appropriate PC version (PS2 is based on rectangular pixels) and put a border around said images. Not sure atm which is better.

These, if used, would be used at various parts along the game where the PS2 game added new images.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Jinnai; 01-16-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I have next to no knowledge about image editing, but you should really sharpen the upscaled picture or it looks way to blurry/washed out imo.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Problem is that distorts the image; the contrast level is extremely high and even myself without my glasses (i'm blind without them) I can tell that.

Take a look at the original 800x600 and compare both. You'll notice that original doesn't have such crisp lines and very accinented edges. It's true, mine is a bit more blurry and I could probably clean that up somewhat, but if you look closely at your image you'll notice how the edges seem to almost glow. This is because of the distortion caused by pumping the sharpness (i assume) level up (not exactly sure as I wasn't there to see you do it).

That may be fine for a background image like this where the color scheme is very cool (lots of greens and blues) and indistinct lines, but you also have character images which tend to clash more. You also have to remember that the images will be seen by people at different sizes. A pixel varies depending on where it is and while a blurry pic isn't good, one that has clear image distortion can be just as distracting.

Still thanks for offering some help. I don't want to sound like I'm too offputting.
                      Last edited by Jinnai; 01-17-2010, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Hello, Hongfire. I was previously a leecher here (for roughly a week) and decided to create a membership.

I am very excited about this particular project. Please keep up your good work! I will periodically check back for updates and to see if there is any way I can be of help. Cheers!

EDITing my first post.)

After reading through the rest of the thread, it seems like you are still in translation phase. I don't know if this will help at all, but I can translate spoken Japanese fairly well, but am hopeless with text. I also might be able to handle image conversions if you explain exactly what you were looking for. It isn't very reliable because I am a first time poster and all, but I intend on sticking around here for a while.

At any rate, best of luck in the future with both personal and translational endeavors.
                        Last edited by Starling; 01-18-2010, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinnai View Post
                          And after that we have to go over and edit it to make sure we don't have stupid translation errors like sopha instead of sofa or translation inconsistencies.
                          Why would I misspell sofa?

Comment

Why would I misspell sofa?
                            Dunno, but you can ask the translators of Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town why they would misspell sofa.

Comment

It seems I need the updated version - repacking throws an exception. You know, the standard "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Meanwhile. here's the updated version of the patch. Now it works on Win7, 32 and 64 bit; plus, it looks for the game in usual places even if registry key is not found. Currently I'm trying to make it re-create registry keys in the case above.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by BOFH; 01-22-2010, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Wow i cant believe this is still going on...i got nervous when i saw it was started in 08 but knowing you still put out stuff makes me happy..
                                but..
                                Would it be possible to get some seedlin' on the PC version given here or would i be wasting my time...?
                                Last edited by RavenXeo; 02-21-2010, 04:53 AM.
                                How ya doin' lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllladies~? ^_-

Comment

Working...
                                X