Announcement

Collapse

Please use the Hentai ID thread for all hentai ID requests. Click me for link!

The Identification Thread is Here:

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/447081
See more
See less

Popotan Po! Translation Project Help Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popotan Po! Translation Project Help Needed

Right now we are currently not doing to much due to RL issues, but we are what we need right now is someone good with programing to help build a program to reinsert text (and possibly graphics) as we have been able to extract the former quite easily, but 1 of the graphics might not be able to fit inside the original box (only 1 at this point and likely to stay that way), but the more difficult part has to due with catching where and how the game changes text strings so we can vary the character length. We have tried a number of ways and even with some advice from Sat at LHA haven't been able to find anything.

So if you can help, please let me or BOFH know.

The graphics should be all translated by the end of October if things go well. Defiantly by the holidays as already 50% of it's done.

Anyone know a Reverse-engeenierr by the name "asmodean"? We've been looking to contact him, but his page at rakuten is gone and we can't find his contact info.
    Last edited by Desmonthes; 12-29-2008, 07:04 PM.

Try looking up VASTT (Visual Adventure Script Translation Tool) to see if it works with popotan.

Comment

If you still need someone, I can assist. I've successfully reverse engineered/extracted/re-inserted files on several games, and I'm always looking for new work. All I need is a copy of the game (and some interest in the game - but Popotan is a classic, I'll gladly work on that). Reply here or PM me if interested.
      ~HF-Mimikko #06~
      Currently Playing: Sugar Coat Freaks
      Currently Working On: Liar-soft Cannonball English Translation Project - discussion - release

Comment

Thanks for offering! I sent a pm and posted links to Popotan here.

Comment

(Moving this back to a thread so I can post pics)

I got text re-insertion working : )

I'm not sure what format you guys want to edit in; right now I extract the whole script file to one massive text file that includes all the game commands, including the dialog. There are a few ways to do this:

1) I can give you the program that extracts/reinserts the script. It ain't the world's best program, but if you accept the quirks it works.

2) I can give you the human-readable script file (or just the part with the dialog commands), and you can edit it and give it back to me for re-packing.
          Attached Files
          ~HF-Mimikko #06~
          Currently Working On: Liar-soft Cannonball English Translation Project - discussion - release

Comment

Looking good, I guess next up their wish list will be half width of the distance between characters and maybe word wrapping.

Comment

Woot! Thanks a lot! I'll start spending more time on the text now...

If the script you got doesn't have any "control" characters, I'd prefer your copy of it. Mine is somewhat cluttered.

Originally posted by Freaka View Post
              Looking good, I guess next up their wish list will be half width of the distance between characters and maybe word wrapping.
              IMHO, it's optional, unless there will be more text than can fit into the area.
              Last edited by BOFH; 10-16-2008, 12:16 PM.

HF-Loli | HF-Mimikko | HF-Bishoujo Games | HF-Hentai

Comment

Originally posted by BOFH View Post
                If the script you got doesn't have any "control" characters, I'd prefer your copy of it. Mine is somewhat cluttered.
                Sure, attached. I modified my program to separate the dialog from the commands, to make it easier to edit.
                Attached Files
                ~HF-Mimikko #06~

Comment

Thanks a lot! This was a major problem for us. Now we might be able to do some decent translation.

Once I get to editing the credits (translating the names for the pics to romanji) I'll add you in.

Comment

Hey, if you guys finish the translation, where will people be able to download it?

Comment

It's just too bad I am busy doing translation for Sensei Daisuki 2 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bug View Post
                        It's just too bad I am busy doing translation for Sensei Daisuki 2 right now.
                        Heh. Well on the news front. I got most of the graphics translated. The few still l still have left have a lot of Kanji...mostly names and locations. Also some of the song names since a lot have too much Kanji or I'm not quite sure what the title should be that could fit inside the box.

And I haven't found a simple way to look up kanji yet.
                        Last edited by Jinnai; 11-13-2008, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinnai View Post
                          Also some of the song names since a lot have too much Kanji or I'm not quite sure what the title should be that could fit inside the box.
                          I had the same problem translating the graphics from Celenaria. Let's face it, most of the time Japanese does NOT translate well into English : ) It mostly came down to really squeezing the text horizontally.

And I haven't found a simple way to look up kanji yet.
                          If you're fluent in kana and can count strokes, I find WWWJDIC very helpful:

http://www.edrdg.org/cgi-bin/wwwjdic/wwwjdic?1B

It's easy to look up kanji using SKIP code (or one of the other methods) if you can count strokes.
                          ~HF-Mimikko #06~

Comment

Originally posted by smut4biscuit View Post
                            If you're fluent in kana and can count strokes, I find WWWJDIC very helpful:

http://www.edrdg.org/cgi-bin/wwwjdic/wwwjdic?1B

It's easy to look up kanji using SKIP code (or one of the other methods) if you can count strokes.
                            ok, because the way I was using was by the radical.

Comment

ok, because the way I was using was by the radical.
                              That's the way I've been doing it, too. Slower, sure - but after a lot of repetitions, you start to see a pattern in radicals and the meanings...

HF-Loli | HF-Mimikko | HF-Bishoujo Games | HF-Hentai

Comment

Working...
                              X