Announcement

Collapse

Please use the Hentai ID thread for all hentai ID requests. Click me for link!

The Identification Thread is Here:

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/447081
See more
See less

AGTH - text extraction tool for games translation

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGTH - text extraction tool for games translation

Current AGTH version: 2011.5.9

Before asking something make sure you've read this first post, guides and searched in this thread.

Related links

AGTH home site: http://sites.google.com/site/agthook/

Guide by mastress: http://blgames.proboards25.com/index...ead=1141106731

Screenshot guide by fhc: http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59189

Advanced AGTH Video Tutorials by Freaka: http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80401

Itadaki (external toolset for adding furigana (reading) to kanji): http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75958

Translation Aggregator (tool for querying many translation engines): http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94395

AGTH general information

AGTH is a tool for capturing text from running programs. Main purpose - extracting text from japanese games for translation.

AGTH requires Windows 2000 or newer NT-based system, x64 and server variants are also supported. Recommended operation system - Windows 2003 and newer (yes, some features won't work on XP). With Vista/Win7 you would likely want to run AGTH with elevated rights or disable UAC.

Running program under AGTH

AGTH consists of hook module agth.dll and loader agth.exe.
    To load application - pass its name to agth.exe as command line argument.

Example for running from shortcut:
    1) Create shortcut for game.
    2) Open properties of created shortcut. In "Target" field will be something like
    Code:
    "C:\Games\Maou no Musume-tachi\twins.exe"
    3) Append to the start of "Target" field full path to where you extracted AGTH, so it will be like
    Code:
    "C:\AGTH\agth.exe" "C:\Games\Maou no Musume-tachi\twins.exe"
    4) Make sure that "Start in" filed hasn't changed after you changed the "Target" and there is space between AGTH and game exe paths.
    5) Run game from this shortcut.

Before name of game exe you can specify some options for AGTH. Each option must be separated by spaces from both sides.

Example of running the same game but also automaticaly copy captured text to clipboard:
    Code:
    "C:\AGTH\agth.exe" /C "C:\Games\Maou no Musume-tachi\twins.exe"

Working with loaded AGTH

After load AGTH will create its window, where it will show captured text.

AGTH separetes text into several 'text threads' based on 'context' (to avoid mess from mixing text of game, menu, title...).
    Displayed text thread could be chosen by drop-down list in the upper part of AGTH window. As game runs, new text threads could be found and added to list.

If you close AGTH window it will not detach it's hook from the running applications, so if AGTH is started again it will continue to hook the text, hook options will be unchaged too.

Additional features

AGTH can try to correct locale of programs - useful for running japanese games with system locale set to non-japanese.

/R option tries to correct locale the AGTH-way - minor visual glitches are possible, but overall program should run like started on system with specified locale.
    /L option works exactly as running program under AppLocale (also this option requires installed AppLocale).

Both options can be used together.

AGTH can be used just for fixing locale without any text hooking.
    Example of starting QuickATLAS with locale overriden to japanese (useful in case when you see only '?????' in it instead of characters):
    Code:
    C:\AGTH\agth.exe /L /NH "C:\Program Files\Atlas\QuickATLAS.exe"
    If you can't find useful text - try options /X3 and/or /V with loading by /P

Recent changes

• Added new type of user hook: Code.
    • Hardware hooks now also work on 32-bit XP SP3.
    • Improved /R override, now it should be able to run InnoSetup installers.
    • Added symbol '◇' to default filtering.
    • Removed user hook type: Hex.

• Added support for LiveMaker engine.
    • Added support for IronGameSystem engine.
    • Updated KiriKiri support.
    • Updated RealLive support.

• ASLR support, can be disabled with ':' at the end of user hook.
    • Improved /R override, just /R performs more aggressive process 'japanization' than /R411
    • Updated RealLive support.

• Locale override support for Win7 (/R option).
    • Internal threading optimizations.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Setx; 05-09-2011, 05:42 AM.

• It's been working well on almost all the games I've played. I can't get Candy Toys to work though, It doesn't capture the text. Any tips? http://www.sp-janis.com/soft/candytoys.shtml

EDIT:
    Not my day.

Also having problems with this one, something doesn't seem right.

http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=29275

Here is a screenshot. http://xs71.xs.to/pics/06101/Clip.jpg
    Last edited by Xuse; 03-06-2006, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• i can't seem to get agth to hook shuffle's text properly. for now i don't mind if it's gibberish, but it doesn't seem to hook anything but the title bar, and config dialogues occasionally if i go into them.

i can't get it to work with FSN either. i've done the agth.exe /c /HWB8:4@521AE0 thing, but when i change it to [userhookw], i'm getting repeated single characters like this. 뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴뇴
      Last edited by ShadowrazoR; 03-06-2006, 07:43 PM.
      Unlimited Bishoujo Works

I am the beholder of the moé. Eroge is my body, and anime is my blood.
      I have ogled over a thousand bishoujo. Unknown to nosebleeds, nor known to erectile dysfunctions.
      Have withstood fatigue to download many CG sets. Yet, those hands will never hold any of them.
      So as I pray, Unlimited Bishoujo Works.

Comment

• I just noticed no one's actually used the anime-reactor forum since last year so I'll post this here as well:

I don't understand, I really wanna try using AGTH, but when I try to run it, it just sais: "Error: can't load library agth"

But agth.dll is right there next to my exe!!! I'm using the latest version. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
        Raz

Comment

• Originally posted by raziel2001au
          I don't understand, I really wanna try using AGTH, but when I try to run it, it just sais: "Error: can't load library agth"

But agth.dll is right there next to my exe!!! I'm using the latest version. What am I doing wrong?
          If you are trying to run it from the command line, make sure to type the full filename "agth.exe" rather than just "agth". I had this problem also.

Comment

• AGTH feature suggestions

I have a feature suggestion for AGTH. Since configuration of AGTH for various games is now getting quite complicated, why not add the ability to read configuration information from a file? That way, people who are familiar with the operation of AGTH can create configuration files for specific games which people who are unfamiliar can simply "drop in" and use without any problems. Also I would suggest that AGTH should check the version number of the game executable, so that config files can include different configs for different game exe versions (e.g. Fate/Stay Night).

Another thing is that the symbol size filter needs to be switchable from within AGTH. Fate/Stay Night occasionally uses larger sized text (e.g. when Rin is shouting at Archer), and also when ATLAS mistranslates something (e.g. names) it would be useful to be able to switch to the furigana to determine what it should say.

Comment

• Danj2k basically it would be nice if someone that knew the program pretty well wrote a gui for it. With ability to load in configurations and write new ones by checking boxes for various options.. selecting executable location to be launched.. and edit boxes to type in additional commands like for the /HW<value1>:<value2> Fate.exe. Yes if I understood how this program worked I would be able to do it but I am lost in the dark on how this one works.

Comment

• I think I'm ok without GUI. =)

I'd hope for the next release to fix the 'missing characters' problem of the 'GetGlyphOutlineA' function. Since it happened to me 2 times in a row now. >_<

First with the game "Princess which is" then "Boy Meets Girl"

Comment

• Originally posted by lgmcben
                  I'd hope for the next release to fix the 'missing characters' problem of the 'GetGlyphOutlineA' function. Since it happened to me 2 times in a row now. >_<
                  "Boy Meets Girl"
                  Hm I was trying to find a proper /H option parameters for playing Sora Uta, which has same problem as BMG, since it's on same engine (by same company), but no luck so far. I got bunch of [UserHook] threads but they're either empty or have just one or two characters. Same thing with all other games I tried /H option with. It seems to me that option will be of help to hackers/programmers only.

Oh and I'm supporting GUI idea aswell.

Comment

• Oh well. I managed to get one of them working.

E:\AGTH\agth.exe /C /KS2 F:\H-Game\BLUEGALE\milkj\milkj.exe

I can't get Candy Toys to work yet, well actually I can, but almost every word that's captured takes a new line.

Comment

• I had a bit of trouble just now when I finished Fate/Stay Night's first scenario. After the game ending screen it came up with the message (in English!) "Try again from the night of the third day", so I clicked, and then my computer locked up. I noticed that another AGTH instance had appeared on my taskbar, with the Type-Moon icon, so I'm guessing the game was trying to restart itself but in the process had somehow tried to load another instance of AGTH? And I'm guessing that's a kind of "Ghostbusters-don't-cross-the-streams" situation given what happened. Perhaps AGTH could check if it is already running before loading, to prevent such a situation?

Comment

• how did you get f/sn running? i'm getting repeated single characters.
                        Unlimited Bishoujo Works

I have ogled over a thousand bishoujo. Unknown to nosebleeds, nor known to erectile dysfunctions.
                        Have withstood fatigue to download many CG sets. Yet, those hands will never hold any of them.

Comment

• http://agth.nm.ru/
                          can't connect to link is anyone else having this problem.

ShadowrazoR, try running the game use /KS

Comment

• Originally posted by ShadowrazoR
                            how did you get f/sn running? i'm getting repeated single characters.
                            Code:
                            agth.exe /C /L /M /V /HWB8:4#1 "C:\Games\Fate\Fate.exe"
                            And then when you load your save game or start a new game, wait until the game produces some text, then select GetGlyphOutlineW from the AGTH dropdown box, press Scroll Lock, then click the Fate window to get some more text, and some UserHookW threads will appear in the AGTH dropdown (on my version they are 0x0052715D:00000017 and 0x0052715D:00000015, I think there might be a way to include this in the shortcut but I'm not sure).

You also need to turn the text speed in Fate options up to maximum, so as to avoid random line breaks. Occasionally, when the scene changes, you may need to change contexts (i.e. if you are currently using the 00000017 thread you will sometimes need to change to 00000015 and vice versa).

EDIT: I discovered that the second number appears to be related to font size: shouted words appear in the 00000022 thread.

In addition, when you reach the end of a scenario and you click to proceed, your computer may lock up if you do it while still using AGTH. My workaround was to save near the end, then play through it fully using AGTH, then exit the game and reload it without using AGTH and continue, so that the game will remember that I've cleared the scenario.

If you are using Atlas for translation, and it either fails to make sense or has unrecognised words, you can turn to Google Translate for a second opinion. Also, for individual words you can check this Japanese to English dictionary. Atlas has a "user dictionary" function so you can add words or names you discover in there.
                            Last edited by danj2k; 03-10-2006, 03:15 AM.

Comment

• no wonder i seem to be getting pretty much only kanji hooked. thanks, omtt and danj2k. i've got a dumber question this time: which slider is the one for message speed? i can't read kanji to save my life.
                              Unlimited Bishoujo Works

Comment

• I just recently tried to run Tick Tack with AGTH, but get a strange problem. I hook on to one of GetGlyphOutlineA's and it seems to grab the most all of the text okay, but the problem is that it goes to a new line every word or phrase or something, which makes for a very messed up and incomplete ATLAS translation. It seems like its using a new line char as a delimitter or something. Is there a work around that might be possible? I am not that familiar with all the options of agth, but this seems as if it could be an easy fix.

Comment

Working...
                                X