Announcement

Collapse

Please use the Hentai ID thread for all hentai ID requests. Click me for link!

The Identification Thread is Here:

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/447081
See more
See less

AGTH - text extraction tool for games translation

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGTH - text extraction tool for games translation

Current AGTH version: 2011.5.9

Before asking something make sure you've read this first post, guides and searched in this thread.

Related links

AGTH home site: http://sites.google.com/site/agthook/

Guide by mastress: http://blgames.proboards25.com/index...ead=1141106731

Screenshot guide by fhc: http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59189

Advanced AGTH Video Tutorials by Freaka: http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80401

Itadaki (external toolset for adding furigana (reading) to kanji): http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75958

Translation Aggregator (tool for querying many translation engines): http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94395

AGTH general information

AGTH is a tool for capturing text from running programs. Main purpose - extracting text from japanese games for translation.

AGTH requires Windows 2000 or newer NT-based system, x64 and server variants are also supported. Recommended operation system - Windows 2003 and newer (yes, some features won't work on XP). With Vista/Win7 you would likely want to run AGTH with elevated rights or disable UAC.

Running program under AGTH

AGTH consists of hook module agth.dll and loader agth.exe.
    To load application - pass its name to agth.exe as command line argument.

Example for running from shortcut:
    1) Create shortcut for game.
    2) Open properties of created shortcut. In "Target" field will be something like
    Code:
    "C:\Games\Maou no Musume-tachi\twins.exe"
    3) Append to the start of "Target" field full path to where you extracted AGTH, so it will be like
    Code:
    "C:\AGTH\agth.exe" "C:\Games\Maou no Musume-tachi\twins.exe"
    4) Make sure that "Start in" filed hasn't changed after you changed the "Target" and there is space between AGTH and game exe paths.
    5) Run game from this shortcut.

Before name of game exe you can specify some options for AGTH. Each option must be separated by spaces from both sides.

Example of running the same game but also automaticaly copy captured text to clipboard:
    Code:
    "C:\AGTH\agth.exe" /C "C:\Games\Maou no Musume-tachi\twins.exe"

Working with loaded AGTH

After load AGTH will create its window, where it will show captured text.

AGTH separetes text into several 'text threads' based on 'context' (to avoid mess from mixing text of game, menu, title...).
    Displayed text thread could be chosen by drop-down list in the upper part of AGTH window. As game runs, new text threads could be found and added to list.

If you close AGTH window it will not detach it's hook from the running applications, so if AGTH is started again it will continue to hook the text, hook options will be unchaged too.

Additional features

AGTH can try to correct locale of programs - useful for running japanese games with system locale set to non-japanese.

/R option tries to correct locale the AGTH-way - minor visual glitches are possible, but overall program should run like started on system with specified locale.
    /L option works exactly as running program under AppLocale (also this option requires installed AppLocale).

Both options can be used together.

AGTH can be used just for fixing locale without any text hooking.
    Example of starting QuickATLAS with locale overriden to japanese (useful in case when you see only '?????' in it instead of characters):
    Code:
    C:\AGTH\agth.exe /L /NH "C:\Program Files\Atlas\QuickATLAS.exe"
    If you can't find useful text - try options /X3 and/or /V with loading by /P

Recent changes

• Added new type of user hook: Code.
    • Hardware hooks now also work on 32-bit XP SP3.
    • Improved /R override, now it should be able to run InnoSetup installers.
    • Added symbol '◇' to default filtering.
    • Removed user hook type: Hex.

• Added support for LiveMaker engine.
    • Added support for IronGameSystem engine.
    • Updated KiriKiri support.
    • Updated RealLive support.

• ASLR support, can be disabled with ':' at the end of user hook.
    • Improved /R override, just /R performs more aggressive process 'japanization' than /R411
    • Updated RealLive support.

• Locale override support for Win7 (/R option).
    • Internal threading optimizations.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Setx; 05-09-2011, 05:42 AM.

• Saitoh666 - try turning the text speed up to maximum? That cut down random linebreaks a bunch for me in Fate/Stay Night, I guess it might work for other games too. Also, you might want to see if there is a thread ending in W (for "wide char") that you can hook, rather than hooking an A (for "ascii") one.

Comment

• still cannot work with moonlight lover...
      is anyone play this game??? maybe you can help...
      I tried the /H options but it didn't work... maybe I make some misstake in the /H option... I not really understand this /H option anyway...

Comment

• Well i still cant get it to work with Tick Tack. I got the text to spit out instantly, but that hardly helped at all. All the Wide char threads a not text output, just short strings with either gibberish or settings like time zones, etc. After a better look, it seems as if the text is being chopped up into different threads and reassembled again. Ah well i didnt expect this to be easy. Ill keep poking at for now, but if anyone figures it out please enlighten me.

Comment

• What a pleasant surprise on my return to HongFire...a new text hooker that is not only better than OTH, but can also work on Fate/stay night! It's a dream come true...i'm in a state of ecstasy

Anyway...now I'm curious, has anyone tried AGTH with Fate/hollow ataraxia??

BobaFett2ha + college = leecher

Comment

• BobaFett2ha, don't know about anyone else but even with AGTH I still get total giberage out of Fate/Stay and Fate/Hollow Atraxia. I have not been able to get anything useful out of it at all even tho the author claims it works. I sure have not gotten it to work and haven't seen a single post from anyone that has.

Well after over a dozen lockups.. reboots.. changing region settings.. I finally got it working. But don't ask me how sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. The command I used was same as the person above but I had to add /NC to stop the computer from locking up... agth.exe /NC /L /C /M /V /HWB8:4@521AE0 Fate.exe

Seems AGTH has issues yet sometimes the userhookw works sometimes it doesn't. If it fails I have to restart windows and try again it won't work just trying to restart the program so it could take several restarts to get it working. Secondly the UserHookW that you want to choose to use is... 0x00527D95: 00000017 At first it seemed that 0x00527D95: 00000015 worked but after the intro of Saber it will than stop working so the 00000017 needs to be selected for reliability. Now if the developer can only figure out why sometimes it hooks and sometimes it does not. Also wish we knew of a better software than atlas.. Even googles translations are better than atlas is.

Now since it's so iffy with Fate/Stay Night I haven't had luck getting it working reliably with Fate/Hollow Atraxias at all.
            Last edited by molitar; 03-12-2006, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• molitar: The author doesn't seem willing to make it work with specific games. If I knew how to program, I'd make my program support all games, or at least that would be my goal. I have about 7 games now that don't work with AGTH, they may not be popular compared to the ones people usually have, but I like them.

I also agree about atlas, it really is bad, but I can't find anything else like it. Most of the time I'll use Google translation to get a rough idea of what's going on, but most of the time it doesn't do so well. I get lot's of "...floating..." from atlas aswell, yet I have no idea what that means.

Comment

• Originally posted by molitar
                BobaFett2ha, don't know about anyone else but even with AGTH I still get total giberage out of Fate/Stay and Fate/Hollow Atraxia. I have not been able to get anything useful out of it at all even tho the author claims it works. I sure have not gotten it to work and haven't seen a single post from anyone that has.
                You obviously haven't been reading this thread then, I've posted quite a few times since I got it working. I've even successfully played through Fate and Unlimited Blade Works scenarios using it, it definitely works. However, there is a crash problem if you attempt to proceed past the end of the scenario with AGTH still open - the solution is to close AGTH just before you click the "FIN" screen (there is no more text after that anyway, it just goes back to the main menu, but for some reason if AGTH is present the whole system will lock up).

Originally posted by molitar
                Secondly the UserHookW that you want to choose to use is... 0x00527D95: 00000017 At first it seemed that 0x00527D95: 00000015 worked but after the intro of Saber it will than stop working so the 00000017 needs to be selected for reliability.
                The second number is related to the font size. So when the font size changes, you must also select a different thread. It would be useful if the author could add an option to automatically monitor several threads and switch when new text is detected on a thread that isn't currently selected, but it's not essential in order to be able to play the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xuse
                  molitar: The author doesn't seem willing to make it work with specific games. If I knew how to program, I'd make my program support all games, or at least that would be my goal. I have about 7 games now that don't work with AGTH, they may not be popular compared to the ones people usually have, but I like them.
                  It's unreasonable to expect the author to be able to make it work with "all games". There is no way the author can purchase or download all the Japanese games that exist, and also some of them use text display methods which are not susceptible to hooking techniques (for example, games that display text by using images). If you have a problem with a specific game, you should probably post describing the problem and the symptoms and then perhaps the author can either make a recommendation or alter the program so that it's compatible. This worked for me with Fate/Stay Night (indeed, I'm quite impressed with the speed of which the author responded to my issues).

Originally posted by Xuse
                  I also agree about atlas, it really is bad, but I can't find anything else like it. Most of the time I'll use Google translation to get a rough idea of what's going on, but most of the time it doesn't do so well. I get lot's of "...floating..." from atlas aswell, yet I have no idea what that means.
                  While I agree that the quality of translation of Google Translate tends to be better than Atlas, Atlas has several advantages. Firstly, it is fast, because it's on your local computer. Secondly, it's automatic, because it monitors the clipboard - if you were to use Google Translate instead you'd have a delay of a minimum of a few seconds for every sentence while you alt-tabbed to your browser and pasted the text in. Thirdly, it has a "user dictionary" function where you can add things like names and special terminology. In Google Translate, you get "distant hill" or "distantly the hill" instead of "Tohsaka", but you can add "Tohsaka" to Atlas so it will translate it correctly.

As far as the ".. floating .." is concerned, the reason for this is that Atlas is not able to handle things like stammering or interjections like "Huh?" or "Eh?". So for example if you get a sentence like "T-t-t-t-t-Tohsaka?! W-w-w-w-why are you in my room?!" Atlas doesn't handle it very well.

Comment

• Google translations are nowhere near better than what Atlas provides, Google uses same engine as Babelfish which is Systran, and out of three major translation J<->E engines/systems (other two being Atlas/BizLingo and Amikai) imho that's the weakest one. Besides like others said, you can customize Atlas dictionaries, so it'll suit your needs better.

Comment

• I have a problem with launching Vagrants,
                      you have to start a launcher.exe which will then start the vagrants.exe.
                      If you start vagrants.exe first, it says it cant execute the game by starting the .exe directly.

So this is the problem, since I cant start it directly AGTH hooks up on the launcher.exe, but then the launcher.exe starts the vagrants.exe which isnt hooked.
                      I cant hook to the vagrants.exe, it only starts with the launcher.
                      Daiteikoku English Translation v0.35
                      [Progress: 45.508 / 130.000 lines (~35%)]
                      [Patch v0.40: 2.264/ 6.500 lines]

Get it here at Hongfire !

Comment

• I still can't hook ANY text with those agth.exe /C /L /M /V /HWB8:4#1 Fate.exe code..... the only text that got hooked is Fate/Stay Night.... nothing else
                        help?
                        is using a noCD exe making AGTH run unproperly?
                        Last edited by zephyranthez; 03-12-2006, 09:50 AM.

HF-Typemoon #38 || HF-Hentai #412

Comment

• Originally posted by ww3master3
                          Google translations are nowhere near better than what Atlas provides, Google uses same engine as Babelfish which is Systran, and out of three major translation J<->E engines/systems (other two being Atlas/BizLingo and Amikai) imho that's the weakest one. Besides like others said, you can customize Atlas dictionaries, so it'll suit your needs better.
                          What I meant when I said it was better was that it seems to have a bigger vocabulary and a better understanding of sentence structure than Atlas does. There were quite a few times when Atlas was having trouble that I could look the sentence up using Google and then input the correct meanings into Atlas. As well as interjections, stammering and ellipses, Atlas also doesn't seem to understand the use of the "no" particle as an associative rather than a possessive, so for example you get "Shinji's guy" for "Shinji no yatsu" instead of "that guy Shinji".

Comment

• Originally posted by emperorzorn
                            I have a problem with launching Vagrants,
                            you have to start a launcher.exe which will then start the vagrants.exe.
                            If you start vagrants.exe first, it says it cant execute the game by starting the .exe directly.

So this is the problem, since I cant start it directly AGTH hooks up on the launcher.exe, but then the launcher.exe starts the vagrants.exe which isnt hooked.
                            I cant hook to the vagrants.exe, it only starts with the launcher.
                            Solution: Use the /P function. It hooks AGTH to your game by its Process ID number (PID).

Launch the game normally. Press ALT+CONTROL+DELETE once to bring up Windows Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab. Locate your game in the list and note the Process ID number (PID). Create a shortcut for AGTH. In the Target field, add /p#### where the number is the PID. Also add any other extensions you normally use.

Example: c:\program files\agth\agth.exe /c /p328956 /x /v /ks1 /ns

Your game will be assigned a new PID each time it is launched, so you will need to modify the shortcut each time you play the game.
                            Calvin: Here's another math problem I can't figure out. What's 9+4?
                            Hobbes:
                            Ooh. That's a tricky one. You have to use calculus and imaginary numbers for this.
                            Calvin:
                            IMAGINARY NUMBERS?!
                            Hobbes:
                            You know, eleventeen, thirty-twelve, and all those. It's a little confusing at first.

Comment

• Originally posted by danj2k
                              What I meant when I said it was better was that it seems to have a bigger vocabulary and a better understanding of sentence structure than Atlas does. There were quite a few times when Atlas was having trouble that I could look the sentence up using Google and then input the correct meanings into Atlas. As well as interjections, stammering and ellipses, Atlas also doesn't seem to understand the use of the "no" particle as an associative rather than a possessive, so for example you get "Shinji's guy" for "Shinji no yatsu" instead of "that guy Shinji".
                              Well again in my 2-year experience Systran's (Google, Babelfish...) translations make the least sense by far, out of three engines. I don't know about vocabulary but it definately doesn't have 'better understanding of sentence structure'.
                              Here I took intro of some game as an example, and Systran as always makes the least sense. Not that two other engines are perfect, far from that.

しかし島の産業の大部分を占めていた大企業の工場が来年撤退することになり、
                              学生の数は次第に減少していた。
                              島にあるもう一つの高台の上に学園の旧校舎を改装した寮がある。
                              寮生の減少にともない現在は主人公とヒロインたちのみが住んでいるその寮は、
                              島の住人からは主人公のハーレムだと噂されている。
                              そんな寮になぜかこの時期にやってきた転校生も巻き込み、
                              時には反発したりしながらもドタバタと楽しい毎日を過ごしていく。

Amikai:
                              However, the factory of the big business which occupied the great portion of industry of an island will withdraw next year, and the number of students was decreasing gradually.
                              There is a dormitory which remodeled the old school building of a school on another heights on an island.
                              The dormitory in which only heroes and the heroines live with reduction in a boarder now is spoken about in case of a hero's harem from the resident of an island.
                              Though the transfer student who came at why or this time is also involved in such a dormitory and it is occasionally opposed, pleasant every day is passed noisily.

Atlas/BizLingo:
                              However, the factory of the big enterprise that has the majority of the industry of the island will withdraw next year, and the number of students has decreased gradually.
                              There is a dormitory where an old schoolhouse in the educational institution was redecorated on another height in the island.
                              The dormitory where only the hero and heroines live is rumored now that hero's harem from the resident on the island as the number of boarders decreases.
                              A clutter and happy every day are spent though the transfer student who came to such a dormitory at this time why also rolls, and it repulses it at times.

Systran/Google/Babelfish:
                              But it was decided that the factory of the big business which occupies the most of industry of the island withdraws next year, had decreased the number of students gradually.
                              There is a dormitory which remodels the old school building of school on another hillock which to the island is.
                              Presently that dormitory where only the protagonist and the heroines have lived, that it is Harlem of the protagonist from the resident of the island, is rumored attendant upon the decrease of the boarder.
                              Although involving the transfer student which in such a dormitory why is done in this time, repelling the time ドタバタit keeps passing pleasant every day.

Comment

• Originally posted by jlbravo
                                Solution: Use the /P function. It hooks AGTH to your game by its Process ID number (PID).

Launch the game normally. Press ALT+CONTROL+DELETE once to bring up Windows Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab. Locate your game in the list and note the Process ID number (PID). Create a shortcut for AGTH. In the Target field, add /p#### where the number is the PID. Also add any other extensions you normally use.

Example: c:\program files\agth\agth.exe /c /p328956 /x /v /ks1 /ns

Your game will be assigned a new PID each time it is launched, so you will need to modify the shortcut each time you play the game.
                                Thanks, mate ^_^ /)

I'll try that right now.
                                Daiteikoku English Translation v0.35
                                [Progress: 45.508 / 130.000 lines (~35%)]
                                [Patch v0.40: 2.264/ 6.500 lines]

Get it here at Hongfire !

Comment

Working...
                                X