Illusion Subtitle Overlay, PPExtractor, and friends

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Tools] Illusion Subtitle Overlay, PPExtractor, and friends

v1.0.0 adds SB Zero and Characolle support (Mostly untested). Thanks to darkhound for getting the encryption codes this time.

This post includes a couple of my tools for use with Illusion games (Swap strings is included, too, just so it has a constant place to live).

Source and binaries for all apps are attached below.

PPExtractor
    PPExtractor extracts PP files for a large number of Illusion games (Run from console for partial list). Handles pretty much every format since SB3/AG3/RL, excluding a couple demo file formats. It uses pp file names to detect format, as the files use identical headers and indexes; they only use different codes to encrypt individual files. Just drag a pp file onto the exe to extract a PP file, and drag the directory onto the exe to go the other way.

It will create a single backup of the original pp file the first time you try to overwrite an existing pp file with it, but it will never overwrite that backup or create a new one unless the original backup is deleted.

Run from command line for a list of advanced options.

Subtitle Overlay
    Displays subtitles while running Illusion games. To install, just extract the dll to your game directory (Not the data subdirectory). If you want to use a second d3d9.dll in addition to mine, rename the other one to d3d9_alt.dll.

Also lets you change resolution and can fix the registry entry for all supported games. Has a couple cheats for AG3, AHM, and Hako in addition to the subtitle stuff.

If you get an error about a missing d3d9_##.dll, install the latest DirectX. If you get this message, even if you think you have the latest D3D version for your OS, you do not. A new version is released every couple months.

Partial subtitle files currently exist for AG3, RL, Hako (Very partial for Hako), SM2, and who knows what else. Subtitles *not* included. Don't ask me for them. I don't speak Japanese, I don't translate the audio files, I have no idea what the status of ongoing projects is.

Clipboard Wave Monitor
    The Clipboard Wave Monitor is a tool for use with my subtitle mod. It aids in translating audio files in games the subtitle mod supports. Run it from the game directory, data\, or data\subs\. Whenever you copy the name of a wave file to the clipboard (With or without the .wav extension), it will find the wave in a pp file, extract it to your temp directory, and start playing it with the associated program. When you quit the program, it will try and clean up all files extracted to the temp directory, but may fail to do so if they're sill open in your media player. It should support all games the subtitle mod itself supports.

SDT Tool
    Program that converts SDT files to Shift-JIS text files and vice versa. The SDT files contain the story text for some illusion games. Story lines appear in blocks with line breaks, like this:

Code:
    Text: 
    Hex: 01 07 00 00 00

Text: 設定1

Text: 
    Hex: 03 00 00 00 00

Text: 寝すぎたせいか、頭がすっきりしないし、
    Hex: 00

Text: ちょっとふらつく感じがする。

Text: そういえばずっと寝ていたから、朝からまだ何も食べていなかった。

Text: 
    Hex: 01 08 00 00 00
    The first 01 indicates it's the start of a block of text to be displayed, then there's the character name, and the following 03 indicates the number of text lines. That number of lines of text follow, and then there's a blank line. Other lines of text do not need to be translated (All text that starts with "//" appears to be comments). Source is included in the rar.

As games tend to add new codes for game-specific uses, most content in the files is left as raw hex.

Swap Strings

Coming at some point.

Credits:

Alamar - for the subtitle idea, figuring out the base illusion file formats, and undoubtedly a lot more.
    warrior - provided some information for the cheats in the subtitle mod (So did Alamar, I believe).
    darkhound - figured out the SB Zero code. Sure he's contributed in other ways in the past, too, just can't remember how.

Sorry if I'm leaving anyone out (And I know I am, just not sure who).

The source code is released without restriction. Feel free to reuse this code in your own tools, with or without releasing your own source code.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Inquisitor; 04-19-2014, 06:05 AM. Reason: Add prefix

I accidentally stuck the source code into the wave monitor file instead of the updated wave monitor (1.0.0). Fixed the file, sorry for the inconvenience. If your version of wave monitor calls itself "0.9.0" and came with a copy of the source code, you have the wrong one. The only differences are the version number and that 1.0.0 won't work with SBZ files.

Thanks to lds718 for bringing this to my attention.
    Last edited by ScumSuckingPig; 10-31-2010, 10:47 AM.

Comment

ScumSuckingPig, Can you put a description of the format *. pp files?
      Easy to understand the simple users.
      Thank you.

Comment

BugNotMe: There are actually 3 different pp file formats (Since SB3/AG3/RL, not sure which was first. Before those, there was at least one other format). To get an understanding of them, I suggest you look at SB3 Utility's pp decrypter (Think it's a bit cleaner than mine, last I checked). It's not a very complicated encryption method - really more like obfuscation, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with the code.
        Last edited by ScumSuckingPig; 11-01-2010, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I watched the source code SB3Utility_v0.9.6_src, but I am a beginner and do not understand it. By this I asked to describe in an accessible form. For example screenshot of the HEX editor.
          (Sexy Beach Zero)
          Last edited by BugNotMe; 11-02-2010, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Sorry, not going to happen. Too much effort.

Comment

I tried extracting some AG3 created char but all the files are in .xx format (if that even exists). How could I convert those file so I can open them in 3Dmax?

Comment

Use SB3 Utility (Which operates on raw PP files, so you don't even need PPExtractor). There's another thread for it in this forum.

Comment

hmmm ScumSuckingPig,
                  Can you take a look at this PP Extractor? cause I can't repack the base.pp, it keep getting me this pop up. I can repack other.

Comment

changel: Hmm...Works fine for me. You didn't delete the original file, did you? I use it to determine file format. Shouldn't crash in that case, but it will end up making an AG3 file, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by ScumSuckingPig View Post
                      changel: Hmm...Works fine for me. You didn't delete the original file, did you? I use it to determine file format. Shouldn't crash in that case, but it will end up making an AG3 file, I believe.
                      Well i changed the original base.pp to base.bak so dont know if thats the problem.

edit: ok i rename base.bak back to base.pp then i drop the base folder to PPExtractor and it can repack now. o.O
                      Thanks SSP.

Other thing is i did the same to sb03_00.pp, change it to sb03_00.bak and drop the sb03_00 folder to PPExtractor and it can repack.
                      Last edited by changel; 11-29-2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

please, Subtitle Overlay - does not work on windows 8.1 full screen, any solution? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by totosai View Post
                          please, Subtitle Overlay - does not work on windows 8.1 full screen, any solution? thanks
                          Its not clear which version you are using, but you should try to use the mod in windowed mode and set the resolution in the launcher to the same as that of your desktop.

The project has been continued from Enter75 with several updates. Please try this one or ask Enter75 for the version you should use for that particular game.

You could also try to find the HF-patch for that game from Inquisitor which often included that mod. In the release post of the HF-patches you will always find a link to the included version.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Having some trouble running PPExtractor on Windows 10 - any .pp file I use it on simply returns the result of "Error loading file." Any help anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X