Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] The 3D Modelling Discussion Thread

Hello,

I decided to open an thread where we can talk about 3D modelling and other stuff, which have to do with modelling, like the UV Map, weighting, etc.
    In some or many mod discussions from different games, people asked the same questions like, how to remodel something, which program(s) I have to use, what is skinning? Etc.
    We can also make our own tutorials and add some links.
    I think that we also talk about the four most used 3D modelling programs.
    The programs are: Metasequoia, 3Ds Max, Maya and Blender.
    For beginners, I recommend Metasequoia and you need only the shareware.
    It is very good for beginners, for basic stuff and many japanese modder use it too. But this program don't support the work with bones.
    Maya and 3Ds Max (they are from the same company Autodesk) are the non plus ultra, with them you can do anything. But they are also complicated to handle, cause they have so many options and sub options, that you need really much practice.
    About Blender, unfortunately I don't have not much informations. I only know that it is a freeware, where you can make also much 3D stuff with it and that also many people use it.
    Okay let use share our knowledge.
    Last edited by Inquisitor; 04-17-2014, 08:23 AM.

Blender is basically a watered down version of something of 3ds max, though the user interface is annoying for me personally. Basically the Photoshop and GIMP relationship style.
    ~Resident Article Writer~
    ~FFXIII-2 Review coming on the 1st of March, waiting on latest DLC~
    ~I know im 2kb over the size limit.. sowy~

~Latest Articles~

~Bayonetta~Project Diva 1st/2nd/Extend~Skyrim~Final Fantasy XIII~Fatal Frame 2~

Comment

Some links to tutorials would be nice.
      I'm particularly interested in skinning and animation.

Not actually doing it, but the concept in general.
      I've been looking around but can't find a "for-dummies guide to how 3D animations work (lol)"

It probably would be easier if I messed around with some modeling of my own, but oh well.
      Mod Tools: Quick XX | Quick MDL Decompiler | Yuusha Rename | Yuusha Loader | GUI Plst Tool

3D Tools Sanae 3D | Noesis XX Plugin

Characters: Esk (Eskmate)

Comment

Even Metaseq can be used to take the first steps into skinning. But for me it was a dead end, because I couldn't find an easy way to transport the skin. (Same problem with Blender).

Alamar introduced the KeyNote plugin for Meta long ago. Search also for bonePlug. I found an english menu translation plus a documentation called How-To_v0.2.
        Attached Files

Comment

What I know about Blender is that it has a brutally steep learning curve and avoids all the conventions most 3D design applications use, possibly to prevent any legal contests. So you have to relearn everything to use it, and everything you learn can only be applied to it. It's got a very loyal following, and it's extensibility puts it way beyond 3DMax. It has a huge amount of intercompatibility with many model and animation formats, and so I've used it to convert between other programs.

Has anyone ever used Softimage 3D? They have a freeware mod tool that shares support with Epic and Valve, possibly others by now. I tinkered with the tutorials but wasn't really sure if it was going to be a flash in the pan.

I use Poser Pro, which doesn't get much respect from 3D modellers, but it's a posing and animation suite, so all it has all it needs; the best interface and tools for animating. As a bonus also has very nice tools for making shaders.
          Brevity is the soul of...

My Gallery Since 2008

Comment

allow me to practice a bit of necromancy here. I've got a pretty large 3dsMax background, I've been moving to Maya because so many other apps support fbx files but not max files. I've mainly focused on arch vis more than characters, but I'm also transitioning with that too. So as I aquire knowledge I shall freely share it here.

Comment

Well since i didn't revive the old ghost of a post, but am getting (or trying at least to) get into this modding community. I will ad my two cents, I am a long time modder of games but only have release for a few out there, notably GTAIV, and the Fallout Series. I know quite a bit about Blender, but with as much as it does in fact offer i am only a novice in that community; but willing to help out anywhere i can. I got my start (or at least tried to) with 3ds Max like so many others but found Blender to be more forgiving and user friendly. currently i am trying to learn the ins and outs of this modeling format which isn't going so well. Since you might know a bit more about 3ds format then myself, ausrick, if i were to save an MQO as a 3ds in order to get it into and out of blender from Metasequoia what settings would i use to insure that there is no size shifting/scaling.

Comment

Hi,

I don't think metasoica/blender/3ds tutorial are the most important, we can find plenty of demo/tutorials on youtube. I'm more concerned about find some material we could use without legal issues :
                - Meshs (body, clothes, environment)
                - bones
                - animations
                - textures
                It's not so easy to find 'ecchi' models, most are on japanese/chinese sites, makes it hard to find proper search keyword or miss a link ... stuffs like that.

Having a "dataBank" we could access somewhere with what we have created and collected (if it's free stuffs like MMD) would greatly increase the number of contributors.

It could be used both for modding existing games and for those who are making smaller games on their spare time.

I'm not a real modder (Java developer) but I used to work with autocad3d and I have one nice model I made with blender. I would gladly share it if this "databank" existed.

Kitsune
                Fierce, Brave, Aware
                yet
                Wise, Delicate and Beauties

Comment

Would be nice to see more interest in this thread. I'm a 3D modeller myself, work for animation currently, using Maya.

Comment

Then I would be interested to see some of your work and of course in an explanation HOW you work, which functions you use to achieve a specific goal!

Also you are welcome to discuss animation problems with us

Comment

Hello all!
                      I've been trying to find information on how to edit/create meshes for AG3. Basically, I want to be able to use blender to modify these, but have not been able to get around the .xx and .xa formats.
                      I do have AG3 decrypt, Metasequoia, and SB3 Utility, but I would really like to be able to stick to the program that I am familiar with.

On a side note, if some of you have experience with blender and niffskope and have some knowledge of what export values should look like for AG3 I would be more than grateful.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply. I also just spent some more time in Sb3 and found the mesh export options which I'll be able to use in blender no problem.

Comment

As long as you dont want to change the skin... or is there any working fbx importer and exporter for blender now? I haven't checked for a long time.

Comment

Some news about Illusion morpher v0.4.x

Just wanted to put up some news with preview pics on my latest Illusion Morpher developments:

The goal is to support real time morphing capabilities with real time preview. Here are some screens:

Once finished it will support multiple formats (mqo, obj, pp, xx, svi). Right now only mqo and obj are working.
                            Since I changed the approach of how I handle file formats, it will take a while before everything known from the old morpher version will work again.
                            The old morpher had classes with mesh manipulation for each file type. The new morpher is using one common internal format to store all the information for every supported file format.

This approach has several advantages:
                            - all morphing functions and mesh manipulation stuff only has to be done once
                            - to support a new file format, I only need 2 new methods in the class: read new file format and save new file format
                            - all supported file formats can be converted into one another (as long as the file format supports the information)

What has been done to make this possible:
                            - massive performance improvemements for morphing as been introduced by using AABB trees
                            - the render class from alamar's new SB3u is beeing used and has been converted to VB.NET 2.x. The renderer window is using slimdx. Thank you alamar for the new SB3u.
                            - I had massive support from enimaroah in implementing the renderer support. Without him we would still see nothing in the renderer window Thank you for that enimaroah
                            HF-Modding/Translation Club Member

Comment

Maya 2012 has a nasty bug with an attribute called lockInfluenceWeights after importing an FBX file. Normally this attribute lets you freeze bone weights on bone basis. While sometimes Maya works still correct after displaying the error, it can also happen that no coloured weights are shown and the whole Paint Skin Weights Tool is out of function.

The nice news is that Autodesk fixed the problem in the FBX Plugin 2013. I tested it with FBX files which always produced that error and indeed the problem is gone!

New software - new bugs. After exporting with the new plugin I converted the fbx to the game format (IM). The game complained about a bad material. The minimum for Cosine Power when imported with the original FBX plugin 2012 was 1 and the new version sets this minimum to 2! The workaround for this is to right click into the value for Cosine Power and choose Set Key. Then select the output arrow. Correct the Value by setting it to 1. The game was working fine afterwards

Edit: This can be scripted as follows:
                              Spoiler
                              Code:
                              // for all materials in the scene //
                              for ($matName in `ls -materials`)
                              {
                                  // not all materials have it //
                                  if (`attributeExists "cosinePower" $matName`)
                                  {
                                      setKeyframe -value 1 { $matName + ".cosinePower" };
                                  }
                              }
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by enimaroah; 08-15-2012, 07:22 AM. Reason: added mel script for correction of cosine power for all materials

Comment

Working...
                              X