Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] The Texturing Discussion Thread

Hello,

I decided to open an thread where we can talk about texturing.
    In some or many mod discussions from different games, people asked the same questions like, how can I create a transparent texture, how can I make the skin more realistic? etc.
    I think that we talk about the most used programs, they are: Adobe Photoshop, GIMP and Corel Draw / Photopaint.
    Okay let use share our knowledge.
    Last edited by Inquisitor; 04-17-2014, 09:20 AM.

Originally posted by JamesMarcus View Post
    I see, thanks! I downloaded some hairs, and I would like to edit the color. I downloaded SB3Utility and opened the .pp file as suggested, but the problem is that I can't get the textures to show up. Could someone give me some help here, please?
    Opening the .pp of a girl will show 5 .xx files. Three of them are for hair. Dooble click one of them to open it in the central area. There, choose the texture tab, and inside the right texture. You will have in it an extract button that will do the job. Later, you can select you edited texture, and use the replace button to add it. Don't forget to save your .pp file... and keep a back up, in case.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the answer. But I get nothing once I open the .pp file. This is all I get.
      Spoiler

I don't know if the version I'm using is outdated or if I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I should pick two combinations on the source format and destination format list before opening it?

Comment

anyone know how to make one of this bump mapping?
        Attached Files
        Video Tutorial : Illusion's HaremMate
        Mods Released : Renai+H mods : [v1.1] || Ore ga mod :[0.1 to 1.3] || IF mods : [0.3] || AA2 trials mods [0.1-1.0]

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMarcus View Post
          Thanks for the answer. But I get nothing once I open the .pp file. This is all I get.
          Spoiler

I don't know if the version I'm using is outdated or if I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I should pick two combinations on the source format and destination format list before opening it?
          You did not select the pp file in SB3utility.

Comment

Hope someone can help me.
            I am trying to edit the face textures in AG3. I have already had success with the body textures with a lot of trial and error, but the face is proving too hard because of the way the texture wraps around the model. See image:

Spoiler

Note the nasty jagged lines where they are smooth on the texture.

I don't really know anything about 3D modelling but know that the texture will wrap around the model in a certain way (something about UV maps?)
            In some places the vertices of the model are all pinched together in one place, stretching bits of the texture and making it really hard to guess where I should draw.

Could anyone point me in the right direction here, as just guessing where to draw is all but impossible..

Again, just to clarify: at the moment I am taking the already made body/face textures and drawing over them in Photoshop, with a lot of trial and error, checking the results in the character preview, going back and adjusting, over and over..
            Last edited by bc01; 04-11-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bc01 View Post
              I am trying to edit the face textures in AG3. I have already had success with the body textures with a lot of trial and error, but the face is proving too hard because of the way the texture wraps around the model. See image:

I don't really know anything about 3D modelling but know that the texture will wrap around the model in a certain way (something about UV maps?)
              In some places the vertices of the model are all pinched together in one place, stretching bits of the texture and making it really hard to guess where I should draw.

Could anyone point me in the right direction here, as just guessing where to draw is all but impossible..

Again, just to clarify: at the moment I am taking the already made body/face textures and drawing over them in Photoshop, with a lot of trial and error, checking the results in the character preview, going back and adjusting, over and over..
              Yes, the face is especially difficult. The stretching effect is the most enjoying for me. You will notice too, the the back of the head is complicated too. Bad when you want to make a balled chick.

Here's the UV maps, it may help you. Good luck!

Body and Face UV Map.7z

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Jam View Post
                Yes, the face is especially difficult. The stretching effect is the most enjoying for me. You will notice too, the the back of the head is complicated too. Bad when you want to make a balled chick.

Here's the UV maps, it may help you. Good luck!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]257550[/ATTACH]
                Capt Jam, that helped a lot, thanks!
                I was able to make a pretty much perfect texture on the first attempt. The only problem is there is a noticeable seam where the head joins to the body, but I'm not sue what to do about that.

It was interesting to see how well my attempt to mask out parts of the body texture compared to the actual UV map. Now I can clean it up to make it perfect.

Also..
                Originally posted by Capt Jam View Post
                Bad when you want to make a balled chick.
                I assume you meant bald. A "balled chick" would be a different thing entirely! Thankfully I don't have to worry about either..

Comment

Well there is a way that you can make better textures for the back of the head.
                  You have to seperate the UVs and creat for them new "Submeshes" (Materials).

Comment

I assume you meant bald. A "balled chick" would be a different thing entirely! Thankfully I don't have to worry about either...
                    Ha! Ha! Ha! Oops! Yes, I meant bald here. My english is not perfect and I drop one from time to time. You might be interested (or scared!) to know that I did made a "balled" chick before, in the futa line. Well, I didn't released the balled version, only the one with the "front" piece...

Comment

Spoiler

why dont you work in Photoshop at layers?

For your own safety, don't use Windows 10
                      Google is your best friend, Microsoft your worst enemy

Comment

Originally posted by mk2000 View Post
                        why dont you work in Photoshop at layers?
                        Who said I'm not using layers?
                        As a matter of fact, I am using many layers and making a template of sorts that I may release for others to use. Use of adjustment layers is the whole point of this.

Comment

Who said I'm not using layers?
                          As a matter of fact, I am using many layers and making a template of sorts that I may release for others to use. Use of adjustment layers is the whole point of this.
                          in the past i had the same problems as your problem, i extract the body and face.pp files into Metasequoia, as a body and face .mqo file and put the body and face files into it, so i could check where the problems where
                          so i could change that in Photoshop

the first picture is a preview in Metasequoia
                          second is my Photoshop (.psd file) preview
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by mk2000; 04-12-2014, 04:31 PM.

For your own safety, don't use Windows 10
                          Google is your best friend, Microsoft your worst enemy

Comment

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but this is a little thing I have been working on for a while.
                            It's basically a Photoshop template for making coloured skins with a subtexture for the chest, thighs, palms etc. for your AG3 characters. Maybe useful if you want to make some kind of alien, reptile, shark, furry, or whatever.

You put in your skin texture (by default I've included the skin supplied with the Girly3 mod) and then use the hue sliders on the adjustment layers to change the colours of the main body and the sub sections, without ruining the texture underneath in case you want to go back and adjust it after.

There are a bunch of layers you can show/hide for thing such as chest, hands, feet, thighs etc, so you can colour only the bits you want.

Also included a simple face template.

Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/kowp8q

Hopefully someone might find this useful
                            Attached Files

Comment

can you re-upload?

Comment

How to make realistic black leather material.

For those who like black leather

I'll try to explain the secret of cool looking black leather (NOT LATEX). This should be useful not only for modding Illusion games.
                                The illusion engine can handle 4 types of textures, the hex settings to make them work explained here
                                So, you need 4 textures to make any realistic looking material:

1. Diffuse map. The most frequently used texture mapping method. It wraps the bitmap image onto the 3D geometry surface while displaying its original pixel color. It should be set in the slot №1.
                                So, our black leather diffuse map looks like this. Nothing special.

2. Reflection map.
                                It's also referred to as environment map. The image map is projected onto a 3D surface to represent a reflection of the environment. The Illusion engine can't generate it, so you should set it manually. A natural looking leather it's not very reflective material. So, our reflection map should be very obscure.
                                I've used the default Illusion rflection map called cw_t_sitatekari.bmp It's perfect for leather. It should be set in the slot №2.

Some mateials don't reflects any light, so it's better to turn this map off, setting the hex value of Texture 2 in the "Material" settings to this: FF-00-00-00 00-00-00-00 00-00-00-00 00-00-00-00

3. Normal map. A Normal Map is usually used to fake high-res geometry detail when it's mapped onto a low-res mesh. The pixels of the normal map each store a normal, a vector that describes the surface slope of the original high-res mesh at that point. The red, green, and blue channels of the normal map are used to control the direction of each pixel's normal. It comes to slot №3. I recomend you to using CrazyBump program for generating and NVIDIA Photoshop plug-in for normalization (important!)
                                The main secret of making good leather texture is to not overdo the details on the normal map, cos it may looks like plastic. It's better to indicate main shape and other elements like folds. Don't indicate the leather pores or leather texture in the normal map, or it will looks like plastic!
                                Here is the example of wrong normal mapping:

Spoiler

It has too bright leather texture details! If you want to show the texture reduce it's opacity to 20%

After your normal map is ready use NVIDIA Photoshop plug-in and chose "Normalize only" option. This will fix oversaturation of the nornal map. Otherwise your model may have unnatural shine.
                                ANyway this is example of good leather normal map:

4. Specular map. This is very important map. For good looking black leather you should bake the right specular map for it. You can make good specular map using Photoshop. Remember this is only for the black leather! Open your diffuse map, invert and desaturate it. Then reduce brightness and contrast. Your specular texture should look like this or maybe a little darker:

or this:
                                Spoiler

It's better to add some extra details like scratches or pores to specular maps.

Than you should set the material settings in SB3U like this:

Try to change it to see the best results. Don't use values higher than 1 for Diffuse, Ambient and Emissive.

That's it! Here is the final result:

Last edited by HanmenNoAsura; 02-24-2015, 03:18 PM.
                                «Where the war is more decent than sex — there always will be a bloodshed.»

Comment

Working...
                                X