X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] Modding Club Rules and Releasing/Submitting mods

Rules when releasing/submitting a mod
    The HF modders have agreed to enforce two rules to ensure that we show proper respect for other people's work. These two rules are simple to follow because they are about common sense and showing respect for other people's work.

Background
    The two rules have been made to make room for as many as possible at HF and not to push anybody away. Some people couldn't care less and some people think rules are important and it's obvious that we need rules in print to prevent further misunderstandings. Using the rep-system as a sanction against other contributors is not recommended. Neg-repping is no small thing and it should be used with care, so that we do not alienate each other. The last thing we want to do, is scare off inexperienced contributors, simply because their contribution wasn't "properly" contributed.

THE RULES
    Nobody wants complex rules, but we've found that a minimum is required for us to maintain a thriving community. Therefore you must observe these two simple rules when posting a mod at HongFire:

RULE #1: Release/submit mods responsibly
    A mod posted in a mod release thread must be tested and there must be a description of how to install it.
    Note: You are not required to test or provide any help if you post the mod in a discussion thread.

What you must do
    You must provide a description on how to install the mod. This help can be as little as just making the mod Wizzard ready because there is general help available on how to use the Wizzard. Direct support via PM is not required, but encouraged.

What should you do if you see a mod posted breaking RULE #1:
    Try to contact the author and give him at least 7 days to fix it. It's alright to give negative reputation if time is up. Consider reporting an unsupported and not working mod (by using the Report Post button ), so that it can be moved to the mod discussion or deleted.

What happens to you if you break RULE #1:
    You risk getting negative reputation. An unsupported and not working mod might be reported so that it can be moved to the mod discussion or deleted.

RULE #2: Credit the original author(s)
    If you post a mod where one or more of the following is true:
    • You're releasing a mod based on one or more other modder's work, like a retexturing of a dress, an uncensor using a mesh created by a modder for another game
    • You're releasing a mod using one or more other modder's work, like using an uncensor with your dress/body mod
    • You're releasing a tool or utility based on another tool made by another modder, maybe using source code from another tool made by a modder
    • You're releasing a mod compilation, such as a hair pack (involving .lst editing, testing) or a patch installing several mods (like the HF patch)
    • You're submitting a mod/tool that you post unmodified.
    • You're submitting a mod/tool that you have tested, made screenshots, translated/rewritten readme, uploaded to mirrors etc.

What you must do
    • You must credit the author(s) of the mod. This is a requirement to ensure that proper respect is shown for the work that was provided free of charge.
    • If the modder specifically wishes to remain anonymous you should write that it is the explicit wish of the modder.
    • If you can't find the modder's name (i.e. it's not the same as the modder explicitly wanting to be anonymous) you must provide a source, i.e. a link to where you found the mod.
    • If it is not possible to provide the source (either because you don't have it, or if you positively know that disclosing it would damage the original modder) you must write something like:
      • "Source not provided because I don't recall where I found it - let me know and I will edit this post"
      • "Source not provided because the author has limited bandwidth/he doesn't want a direct link posted/other reason, but I have it. PM me if you want it".

What should you do if you see a mod posted breaking RULE #2:
    Try to contact the author and give him at least 7 days to fix it. It's alright to give negative reputation if time is up. If the poster has not corrected or responded within 7 days, you should report the post by using the Report Post button ), so that it can be edited or deleted. Moderation is efficient in this section of HF and there is no excuse for not using the system.

What happens to you if you break RULE #2:
    You risk getting negative reputation. A moderator may delete it, infraction you (repeated offense probably), edit your release post to include source/author or whatever the moderator will deem the best for the community.

A Perverted Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy of Modding by bdpq (general guidelines considering copyright)
    Last edited by TheShadow; 05-01-2014, 11:51 AM. Reason: Fix THE which was TEH

Originally posted by mk2000
    what a nonsens...has nothing to do with how install it...but who made it...if someone makes an .obj and you use it..you should credit him/her

then the $50.000.000.000 question why can i find the blogs sites and that stuff and you not?

Why do I bother with your replies when I can simply ignore you?

I gave credit...can you say the same about yourself and your posts?
    Are you willing to provide support or links to support whenever a question arises concerning mods you've posted?
    When you posted an outfit set that was made by a member here @ HF, claiming it as an unknown author from a japanese blog site without researching or giving credit, is where I drew the line and you got - repped.

And BTW, bravo for your keen Googling skills.
    The fact is, I never have, nor stated to have any issues with finding what I want.

Color me outta here. I can no longer suffer the ignorance.
    Last edited by Guff; 07-23-2013, 11:13 AM. Reason: Removed wording that was inappropriately rude.
    PPD & Studio Pro Items
    PPD & Studio Pro Tutorials, Tips, & Outfit Mods

Comment

And you would say the same when someone would post your work in another forum, and said it would be from an unknown author from a another countries blog? So you dont care for your work. Okay, I see.

Comment

Well, it's not requested by HF to credist anyone, but here's a good reason to why one maybe should:
        Let say you got this mod that is all buggy, crashing the game and all that. You don't know from who or where it actually comes from, you can't fix it yourself and the one
        whom uploaded the mod to the site have no intention to provide you with any support. You really, really, really want this mod, but... where do you go from here?

Provided with the author's name or the site the mod comes from you have a better chance to get the help that you need, even if it is a Japanese or Chinese site
        (there's i.e Google Translate, there's also the ability to translate the language of a site to a surfable condition with a single click).

Moreover in my new mod I use stuff (textures, 3D models) downloaded from torrents and sharing sites, in plain English it is stolen.
        Can I post this mod, whom give the credits, Design Art Studios selling it?
        When it comes to free meshes/textures, the author's name and maybe a link to the site should be enough.
        Not to sure about stuff that have been paid for. And Game stuff is a gamble, EA/bethsoft would have your head while others may overlook it.

Comment

Let say you got this mod that is all buggy, crashing the game and all that. You don't know from who or where it actually comes from, you can't fix it yourself and the one
          who say it cames from that mod? can also come from an update, crappy virusscanner, missing files you name it...

about sharing stuff isnt new, things made under other name isnt new (i hate that), in the stoneage, middle age people copied things for living (example selling painting with Rembrands, van Gogh signature while they didnt make it).
          Lately Sony tried proctected the music cd's with a special program on it to protect from home copy, result thoundends of home burners died
          how will you protect stuff on the internet while it stays on the internet for atleast 50 years, yes this artikle can men still read over 50 years
          about other language stuff, google translate, asta, bing, babelfish ect they still stuck with asian language (because also the asian dialects they use example chinese katonese ect)
          do men think if we mail the orginal author and have some questions he will answer that? i have my real doubts
          some cant even use google or the search button in here, and some are noobs, i was one of them but i searched, use google as a friend, and read and posts at lots of forums (under diffrent names), so you will
          get more familiar with the stuff
          the most laws says its your own responsibility for downloading stuff
          so if you have your doubts dont download/use it
          normally i tests the files by myself but what about PPD not because its an underage age, and i hate underage games.
          i dont have AG3 too but i can tests them with SB3U 8.27 (above it sux), Mesq, and some other stuff
          so if there are over 500 downloads and only 2 cant get them installed, who's blame is it?
          saw on the SB3 forum in here that Illusion even stole some mods wich is made by Wurlox (how irronic is it?)
          look some people are just a little jealous they cant find then, and now they try to be the saint itself to have a crusade again me,
          well there is a saying: before you throw a stone, look first at your self.

@enimaroah This message is hidden because enimaroah is on your ignore list. lots better now, maybe you should that too to prevent a heart attack

For your own safety, don't use Windows 10
          Google is your best friend, Microsoft your worst enemy

Comment

Originally posted by mk2000 View Post
            who say it cames from that mod? can also come from an update, crappy virusscanner, missing files you name it...
            Yes, indeed, it can come from things like that as well. "Let's say..." is mentioned as a assumption not that it's necessary the case, ok?

do men think if we mail the original author and have some questions he will answer that?
            So far it have never failed for me to ask regardless of what game, its mods and regardless of community and nationality, it never hurts to try, now does it?
            I assume you don't like the word "trying", eh?

Yes, stealing isn't anything new, though, do you rather display yourself for the worse rather than showing yourself for the better?
            Just because someone else did it to you, you should do exactly the same? Just because someone didn't credit you, you ain't going to do it either?

But as I said; It's not required by HF for a modder to put up credits, it's not required to put up a source, this doesn't change the fact that those modders
            who take pride in their trade may lose their respect for you. But since you don't have much of respect for yourself as a modder I guess
            you are OK with that some won't give you much to call respect? Is that correct?

In my case I'll credit others work due to the fact that that I have enough respect for their work that I can at least write their name. You do as you want
            but don't be a nag if some decides to dislike you, or -rep you or whatever the drama in the mod discussion was about.

Note that my statement about crediting is meant as "you could" and not "you should". There's no need to discuss if one should credit
            people or not here at HF, it's everyone's own choice as it is not a rule. It's all about etiquette here at HF.

The opposite would be the Nexus forum:
            • Stolen content will most likely result in a ban from the Nexus forum.
            • If you borrow something from another modder you have to have permission from that modder if he haven't stated else. This can result in a
              warning if no permission have been given. IF the waring is ignored it results in a ban from the Nexus forum.

Originally posted by markantony
            We should remember it is hentai section. I can't tell even my friends what I'm doing. I thought we all here for fun not for reputation.... I care for fun people have from my work. I save my pride for real life things not for hentai...
            If it was for another game then, if the models and textures was all your own work? Wouldn't you feel a little bit proud of your work or get
            some appreciated for that work? I think that's what he was hinting at regardless of game type.
            But yeah, some may feel appreciated when people uses their work regardless if it's stole or not and regardless if credits is given or not.

If a model is downloaded from a site for free I don't consider it being stolen until you claim the model as your own hard work.
            It is most likely the authors intention that such a model can be used as one wish, i.e ported into a game and shared (but not sold for cash).
            Question is; is it so hard to show some respect for others work? Apparently it is.

But as MK2000 mentioned, people will steal, that's why there's a word for that in the dictionary and it's called "Thief", it's most likely relating to a bad person.
            Regardless of rules/laws and whatever it's up to oneself if they want to display them self for the better or the worse. Isn't it?

---------------------------------
            @All
            Can we end this discussion now? If people wants to credit someone but ain't sure how they should do, I think it's to here that they should turn, however, we
            should not force anyone as long as it is not a requirement here. The ones that rip content without for permission or doesn't gives credits will alone
            have to take whatever bad event that may come for them.

Ps. if someone -rep you for not adding credits or w/e, live with it, opinions are great, ain't they?
            Last edited by Syncroz; 07-22-2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Syncroz View Post
              Just because someone else did it to you, you should do exactly the same? Just because someone didn't credit you, you ain't going to do it either?
              thats a good point, but not some one, lots, on zodgame, h5gal, eza ect.

So far it have never failed for me to ask regardless of what game, its mods and regardless of community, it never hurts to try, now does it?
              I assume you don't like the word "trying", eh?
              well trying, nice word, but my experence is, and i saw this alot, if you help them, or no feedback, or whatelse, i mean most of the time only questions about it, and when you help them, no further answer/comment, people dont want to read, just
              download and install and nothing more, there are hunderds of the same questions with the same answers here on hongfire

But since you don't have much of respect for yourself as a modder I guess
              you are OK with that some won't give you much to call respect? Is that correct?
              i dont see me as a modder, for me a real modder is like a game maker, make new things, dont uses .obj's or what else already excists

Note that my statement about crediting is meant as "you could" and not "you should".
              if you saw the SB3 database, what i made (but deleted and closed now) saw, i did call and renamed the orgin makers (darkhound, d2 ect ect) i have no problem with that,
              but when i find stuff withoutany information at it (even not in the .zip/.rar/.7z files) how can i smell who made that
              i saw same files on zodgame and saw at the pictures that those mods are made was by lds718, but in 1 all the info was gone and edit by some guy
              the files i get from, are from blogs without login in, so free to download with less info, mostly only a picture what it lookslike
              i have mods, and they has been made by jacksh, 1502 also they were posted on those bogs, but i wont posted them, because those are famous creators
              yesterday i found out who made the X6 mods made, so i edited the post and named his name, also if you look at the posts, if i really know the name, i write it down!
              http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showth...62#post3450362 and there are more of that

the time i spend here, to defence myself i had made 3 more mods....
              Last edited by mk2000; 07-22-2013, 05:07 PM.

For your own safety, don't use Windows 10
              Google is your best friend, Microsoft your worst enemy

Comment

thats a good point, but not some one, lots, on zodgame, h5gal, eza ect.
                Yes, even though there is a lot of people doing it one can still show them self to be the better, I think. I try to always show my best self regardless if someone
                is stealing my work, whatever it maybe, I'll keep. Same goes for crediting, I'll do it regardless if people won't credit me, and sure I may forget to credit
                someone from time to time.

well trying, nice word, but my experence is, and i saw this alot, if you help them, or no feedback, or whatelse, i mean most of the time only questions about it, and when you help them, no further answer/comment, people dont want to read, just
                download and install and nothing more, there are hunderds of the same questions with the same answers here on hongfire
                Indeed people won't read for various of reasons, i.e lazyness or the fact that they might not know what they're actually are looking for.
                So yeah, they will ask same question over and over, so one could try to have patience even though it is a pain sometimes. If I have
                the answer for something I'll always try to answer, but that is me.

i dont see me as a modder, for me a real modder is like a game maker, make new things, dont uses .obj's or what else already excists
                A different view of things. I myself may consider a modder to be a modder when they modify a file (or i.e a car, by making changes to the original) since that is what
                I connect modding to. I don't quite consider a game maker to be a modder, though I guess one could see them as modder as well, due to they add new things
                to their game(s), making updates, correcting code etc. as well.

if you saw the SB3 database, what i made (but deleted and closed now) saw, i did call and renamed the orgin makers (darkhound, d2 ect ect) i have no problem with that,
                but when i find stuff withoutany information at it (even not in the .zip/.rar/.7z files) how can i smell who made that
                i saw same files on zodgame and saw at the pictures that those mods are made was by lds718, but in 1 all the info was gone and edit by some guy
                the files i get from, are from blogs without login in, so free to download with less info, mostly only a picture what it lookslike
                i have mods, and they has been made by jacksh, 1502 also they were posted on those bogs, but i wont posted them, because those are famous creators
                yesterday i found out who made the X6 mods made, so i edited the post and named his name, also if you look at the posts, if i really know the name, i write it down!
                http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showth...62#post3450362 and there are more of that

the time i spend here, to defence myself i had made 3 more mods....
                Yes, it's hard to do anything when it lacks information, but then I guess that you do understand my point of view why I think it's a good thing to
                add a source (if you are able of course) or just anything that can provide some information. Not just here, but everywhere and yeah, of various reason
                people may not do so.

I did recognize some of the costumes that caused the drama, some already existed here and others I knew who the original author was. I didn't get the
                chance to send you a PM about it though as the mods where removed quite soon after my discovery. So, if you are willing, feel free to ask in the Mod
                discussion thread if someone recognize it and may point out who that made it. A advice that was given to me was that I could state in my release post that
                I don't know who the author is and that I'd appreciate if someone that may know could send me a PM
                . You may get a answer or you may not, at least you tried.

But yeah, as I keep saying, do as you (and everyone else) please with your own releases, there's no rules to force you to add any information, if there ever will be a rule like that here I don't know. Still, people have their opinion, if they feel that you don't show any respect for other works it will keep ending up like this, some just won't
                care as long new toys is provided.

I as well do know that you tend to credit people which is why I only have express my opinion and haven't been pick anyone sides. I do know myself how hard it
                can be to find information sometimes.

Ps. I think most who reacted on your releases reacted to the phrase "some asian guy somewhere", perhaps they did see it as that you didn't show any respect
                and was just plain rude. If it wasn't your intention to sound like that I guess it all can be forgive, don't you think?
                Last edited by Syncroz; 07-22-2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Seems a few of you are "black" repped.
                  Just a reminder, disagreeing with another member's position on a subject is not grounds for issuing negative reputation.
                  We all have our opinion on various matters, and it is our right in the free world to express those opinions regardless of the majority's viewpoint.
                  PPD & Studio Pro Items
                  PPD & Studio Pro Tutorials, Tips, & Outfit Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Guff View Post
                    Seems a few of you are "black" repped.
                    Just a reminder, disagreeing with another member's position on a subject is not grounds for issuing negative reputation.
                    We all have our opinion on various matters, and it is our right in the free world to express those opinions regardless of the majority's viewpoint.
                    Haha, Guff, that black dot is just for hiding once rep if you didn't know. I haven't got any -rep yet. I guess I'm doing quite good so far.
                    Last edited by Syncroz; 07-22-2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by markantony
                      We should remember it is hentai section. I can't tell even my friends what I'm doing. I thought we all here for fun not for reputation.... I care for fun people have from my work. I save my pride for real life things not for hentai...
                      ^Quality post. Same as Markantony, i don't really much care about credits to my AG3 creations. Just the fact that some of my works managed to posted in foreign sites makes me happy. At least it means my creations are being acknowledged. True, if they add credits, it makes me even happier. But as long as we are having fun, i don't give a damn. Just how much of an ignorance person i am? I saw some of my works in LianRozen's blog (my BOTTOM signature link, look in the spoiler), & even in a Japanese Blog. How AWESOME is that?

The point is, don't bash each other. Just be cool.

Originally posted by StormWing
                      Dear Illusion. PLEASE release AG4 already because i'm a proud member of A.S.S (Annoying Awesome Spamming Squad). Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormwing View Post
                        ^Quality post. Same as Markantony, i don't really much care about credits to my AG3 creations. Just the fact that some of my works managed to posted in foreign sites makes me happy. At least it means my creations are being acknowledged. True, if they add credits, it makes me even happier. But as long as we are having fun, i don't give a damn. Just how much of an ignorance person i am? I saw some of my works in LianRozen's blog (my BOTTOM signature link, look in the spoiler), & even in a Japanese Blog. How AWESOME is that?

The point is, don't bash each other. Just be cool.
                        I got to agree with this since I am thinking the same when it happens to me. I try not to take too hard on it and being credited is always a bonus.
                        Still I'll try to credit everyone that in one or another way have some part in any of my mods, simply for the fact it makes people a bit happier,
                        and of course cause it may helps people if they want the original of something included or maybe more stuff from the original author.

Ps. I've seen some of your mods in other blogs too! Quite obvious why, you do a good job in my opinion.
                        Last edited by Syncroz; 07-22-2013, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Ps. I've seen some of your mods in other blogs too! Quite obvious why, you do a good job in my opinion.
                          Why thank you, me dear fellow See? Just that comment itself makes me happy.

Just a side note, btw. If any of you modders want to give proper credits, always, & i mean ALWAYS, give this sentence:
                          Credits goes to the ORIGINAL modders
                          Of course, when a modder send you an e-mail & says "Oh, that's my mod.", you can add their name respectively. See THIS for example, i forgot to give credit to Roguefiend. So when he actually says he did helped me, i give the proper credit later on.

Again, i don't give a damn about credits. I just wanna have fun (sadly enough, can't play AG3 from 4.30 AM to 6 PM during Ramadan fasting for obvious reasons LOLs)

Originally posted by StormWing
                          Dear Illusion. PLEASE release AG4 already because i'm a proud member of A.S.S (Annoying Awesome Spamming Squad). Period.

Comment

Just a side note, btw. If any of you modders want to give proper credits, always, & i mean ALWAYS, give this sentence:
                            Oh yes! Yes! That is indeed a very nice way to put it if one is unsure or have forgotten! I forgot about that one! Maybe even one of the greatest way to say
                            "I forgot his name" in too, haha. xD

Offtopic:
                            Apparently, some organization of female Assassins attracted[...]
                            That suit makes me think of Celty Sturluson from Durarara!!! whenever I see it.
                            Last edited by Syncroz; 07-22-2013, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Well I don't know what kind of trouble is here, if I'm right has it something to do with reputations and credits.
                              First time when I begin here to become an member, to make mods and to help other members, the reputations was important for me. But from time to time, they are not more important.
                              Sometimes I ask myself, what does it do for me?
                              In the last time is it more important for me to see, that other people use my mods, also talk about them and that I discover my mods on other pages. If I see my name in the credits, than I'm really happy. If not, then sure I'm disappointed, but I can also do not much anything against it.
                              I can a bit understand it, if someone is angry, that someone use his mod by not give him an credit, cause the author spend his time and knowledge to create this mod.
                              On the other hand, either you have to accept it and you continue with modding or you leave it.
                              Normally I'm also a ass, cause I took many times stuff, for example from Titan Quest for my AG3 mods. I only add in the notes from where I took the weapons and textures and not more.
                              But we can quarrel till death, cause everyone have his own opinions about it.

But be honest, we are annoyed and discuss about our stupid reputations and credits, but we use leaked H-Games, where nobody pay any shit on it.
                              I think only a few people got the original games at home. The same is also with some programs which we are use to create the mods.
                              So better we have to shut the fuck up and not throwing with stones in a glass house.

Comment

Working...
                              X