Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS Linear Rendering Experiment v3.1 (update 17/07/24)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Skin] HS Linear Rendering Experiment v3.1 (update 17/07/24)

To simplify the install process. In this new version, the latest Graphic Patch (v17.07) from 4K diffuse pack, HS image based lighting (3.0) and lighting rendering asistant (1.0) are included.

The game adds a strong S curve at the end of the process, and uses textures with diminished contrast and saturation, which not only makes texture artifact more visible, but also interferes with the linear rendering workflow. PBR shader is designed to create photo-realistic rendering but it only works in linear space, when it's not working in the linear space, we'll see either too strong reflection or too strong shadow just what HS looks like. What I'm trying to do is fix both the texture and curve so that PBR shader can work in the linear space, the results are promising.

gamma rendering workflow
    gamma space texture --> rendering in gamma space --> gamma corrected image

linear rendering workflow
    gamma space texture --- gamma to linear conversion --> linear space texture --> rendering in linear space --> linear space image --- linear to gamma conversion --> gamma corrected image

HS rendering workflow
    over corrected gamma texture --- gamma to linear conversion --> gamma space texture --> rendering in gamma space --> color correction curve --> linear space image --- linear to gamma conversion --> gamma corrected image

Directional light fall-off

This is the comparison on unity manual
    • Dependency
    1. 170630 DLC;
    2. SBX2 Uncensor version 2.5 or after;
    3. IPA
    • What can you expect?
    1. Mathematically correct lighting;
    2. Much better texture detail;
    • Screenshots

Spoiler

New screenshots featuring HDR rendering and ACES Tone mapping
    Spoiler

Screenshots with Image based lighting
    https://imgcave.com/album/Q2UI
    • Limit
    Now it only works on female characters, everything else looks gray until their textures been fixed. So I recommend using this on a fresh install, or do a complete backup of your game, and only use it in Studio Neo, if you're using it in main game, press X to disable map. Fully colorable clothes or items can be fixed by readjusting the color.
    The Chara maker background can only set to solid color now, but you can load cubemaps in chara maker.
    • How to install
    1. Install 0630DLC from illusion.jp
    2. Install SBX2.5 uncensor
    3. (Optional) Install translation loader
    4. Extract all files copy into the game folder and overwrite
    5. Install IPA 3.3(drag & drop HoneySelect_xx.exe StudioNEO_xx.exe onto IPA.exe)
    6. (Optional) Install wideslider (run HoneySelect_xx_WideSliderPatch.exe and StudioNEO_xx_WideSliderPatch.exe)
    7. (Optional) Grab cubemaps from https://mega.nz/#F!ofhTgbTQ!fAgjV1YlQ7wRy4vZ-LhZNQ
    • How to use
    Go to chara maker change your characters' skin and face type to the new types(one new body and 21 new faces), and take the LRE sample character as reference to adjust skins. If you have a huge number of characters, I recommend Ultra Char Editor v0.1 for party.
    F5 menu now works in Hscene, StudioNeo and Chara maker.

Upgrade from v2?
    There's not much change to the character, but post effect has greatly changed, the old config files are not compatible, backup the old UserData\GraphicSetting folder just in case you want to roll back.
    • Download

https://mega.nz/#F!8T4nmCwL!Hxn-LMwvc0pKsAtuUthmHA
    • Optional Download

1. Studio Neo items

2. mod converted for HS_LRE

DillDoe's D.VA mod

3. CubeMaps
    Last edited by plasticmind; 10-03-2017, 05:25 AM.

how to put your experiment dds to sample.psd?

Comment

Thanks for hardworking!
      your mod is so amazing it improve the game experience so much.
      I'm using experiment_2 (ExperimentCurve4.dds) + Reshade to make final image looks clearly.

Default - https://i.imgbox.com/55ECyYij.jpg
      Reshde - https://i.imgbox.com/PIRUmEcM.jpg

It would be nice if I can edit curve and stop using Reshade post-processing.
      could you upload your PSD file of ExperimentCurve4.dds so I can edit it?
      Last edited by comsci; 05-23-2017, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by comsci View Post
      Thanks for hardworking!
      your mod is so amazing it improve the game experience so much.
      I'm using experiment_2 (ExperimentCurve4.dds) + Reshade to make final image looks clearly.

Default - https://i.imgbox.com/55ECyYij.jpg
      Reshde - https://i.imgbox.com/PIRUmEcM.jpg

It would be nice if I can edit curve and stop using Reshade post-processing.
      could you upload your PSD file of ExperimentCurve4.dds so I can edit it?
      https://mega.nz/#!rI9jyDRJ!_bVMPa0GY...6bE66KSUMh9Keg

Comment

• comsci
        comsci commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

plasticmind

I've tried all the new Experiment Curves, with your new settings (Ultra SSAO/SSR),

on my Plasma tv all experiment curves they are all a bit too bright , the colors a bit too light and desaturated, and with little contrast,

for example there is a gray patina on the flat tv in the HS selection menu,

look at my screens Comparation:

- ExperimentCurve: https://i.imgbox.com/i9VNVHdh.png

- SampleCurve3: https://i.imgbox.com/rqgrbVSC.png

On Plasma TV (SDR) "SampelCurve3" is Good! in-game is pretty good in almost all maps, could you make a middle ground between the SampelCurve3 and the new ExperimentalCurve, please?
      Last edited by Iukix360; 05-24-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• plasticmind
        plasticmind commented
        Editing a comment
        No, just avoid vanilla maps with this mod.

Why would you need to change the textures? Unity will remove the gamma correction from gamma textures before using them in lighting calculations when linear rendering mode is used.

Aren't those washed out looking textures linear textures? Looking at the game's texture with SB3Utility there are both textures flagged as gamma textures and linear textures, I am guessing 1 is linear space.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	1
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	5795951

Comment

• plasticmind
        plasticmind commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sure in SB3Utility colorspace = 1 means gamma space, colorspace = 0 means linear space, because all normal maps are flagged with colorspace = 0. enimaroah said he would add tooltips in the future.

The question is why would illusion change the textures. Textures used in HS have extremely high gamma value, perhaps gamma = 4.0, their project is set to linear workflow, but they're actually rendering everything with gamma around 1.8 by my caculation. But that isn't enough, at the end of the process, a curve is used to ensure gamma gets back to 2.2.

gamma rendering workflow:
        gamma space texture --> rendering in gamma space --> gamma corrected image

Linear rendering workflow:
        gamma space texture --- gamma to linear conversion --> linear space texture --> rendering in linear space --> linear space image --- linear to gamma conversion --> gamma corrected image

HS rendering workflow:
        over corrected gamma texture --- gamma to linear conversion --> gamma space texture --> rendering in gamma space --> color correction curve --> linear space image --- linear to gamma conversion --> gamma corrected image

So why would a gamma space texture flagged as linear work in HS rendering workflow:
        gamma space texture (flagged as linear) --- skip gamma to linear conversion --> gamma space texture --> rendering in gamma space --> color correction curve --> linear space image --- linear to gamma conversion --> gamma corrected image
        Last edited by plasticmind; 05-30-2017, 03:49 AM.

The tooltip might need some clicking inside and hovering in the area, but it is included.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	ColorSpaceToolTip.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	5795989
      I had used Unity editor for verification. But it seems the opposite to your values.

Edit:
      The tooltip was included in Sb3UGS v1.6.5.
      Last edited by enimaroah; 05-30-2017, 05:56 AM.

Comment

• plasticmind
        plasticmind commented
        Editing a comment
        But that won't explain why normal maps have colorspace = 0, now I think I'll do the test.

• plasticmind
        plasticmind commented
        Editing a comment
        I've done the test with unity sample project.

texture1: change texture type to advanced, leave Bypass sRGB Sampling unchecked, which indicates that it's a sRGB texture.
        texture2: change texture type to advanced, check Bypass sRGB Sampling, which indicates that it's a linear space texture.

build the project and open assets file in SB3U, the result is texture1 colorspace = 1, texture2 colorspace = 0.
        Last edited by plasticmind; 05-30-2017, 08:44 AM.

I created an MB with the following line:
      Debug.Log("u=" + (int)ColorSpace.Uninitialized + " g=" + (int)ColorSpace.Gamma + " l=" + (int)ColorSpace.Linear);
      and the output in the console was:
      u=-1 g=0 l=1

Unity editor 5.3.4 and 5.4.2. If this would be wrong then the ColorSpace enumerator would be badly defined.

Edit:
      The documentation for Texture Types shows it as sRGB. What is "Bypass sRGB Sampling" ?
      Last edited by enimaroah; 05-30-2017, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Confusing indeed.

I got to this "Bypass sRGB Sampling" only for certain textures, and only when switching to Texture Type "Advanced". The tooltip reads "Texture will not be converted from gamma space to linear when sampled. Enable for IMGUI textures and non-color textures."

Alright, I swap the values then and remove the Uninitialized state in the next version of Sb3UGS. Since it is nothing critical the release might take a while.

Edit:
      But when Bypass is unchecked, and we have a conversion from gamma space for linear for this reason, the resulting 1 would mean linear. No?
      Last edited by enimaroah; 05-31-2017, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• plasticmind
        plasticmind commented
        Editing a comment
        "Bypass sRGB Sampling" is for textures contain color information, normal maps and height maps will always bypass sRGB sampling.

When "Bypass sRGB Sampling" is unchecked, texture will not be converted right away in the unity editor, but have a colorspace flag set to 1, then gamma to linear conversion is done in game when the texture's being read into a shader.

8bpc is barely enough to hold color information in gamma space, but not enough in linear space, so this trick has been played.
        Last edited by plasticmind; 06-01-2017, 01:27 AM.

Uncheck sRGB (Color Texture) is the same as checking Bypass sRGB sampling in older versions of Unity.

I think for Unity 5.3, 0 is a linear texture and 1 is a gamma texture. Read this:
      https://docs.unity3d.com/530/Documen...ReadWrite.html
      Last edited by THENewguy1; 06-01-2017, 01:30 AM.

Comment

THENewguy1,
        thanks! But a RenderTexture is a different asset, not derived from any Texture asset. The enumeration in one asset is not required to use the same values for the identically named values in a different asset. Additionally we see this member named m_SRGB, and not m_ColorSpace like in Texture2D asset.
        Spoiler
        Code:
        RenderTexture Base flags=(x1, -1, 0, x8000)
           string m_Name flags=(x10001, -1, 1, x8001)
              Array Array flags=(x1020001, -1, 2, x4001)
                 int size flags=(x30001, 4, 3, x1)
                 char data flags=(x30001, 1, 4, x1)
           int m_Width flags=(x10001, 4, 5, x0)
           int m_Height flags=(x10001, 4, 6, x0)
           int m_AntiAliasing flags=(x10001, 4, 7, x0)
           int m_DepthFormat flags=(x10001, 4, 8, x0)
           int m_ColorFormat flags=(x10001, 4, 9, x0)
           bool m_MipMap flags=(x10001, 1, 10, x0)
           bool m_GenerateMips flags=(x10001, 1, 11, x0)
           bool m_SRGB flags=(x10001, 1, 12, x4000)
           GLTextureSettings m_TextureSettings flags=(x10001, 16, 13, x0)
              int m_FilterMode flags=(x20001, 4, 14, x0)
              int m_Aniso flags=(x20001, 4, 15, x0)
              float m_MipBias flags=(x20001, 4, 16, x0)
              int m_WrapMode flags=(x20001, 4, 17, x0)

plasticmind,
        What really confuses me is, that m_ColorSpace == 1 means gamma, while m_ColorSpace == 0 means linear. That's somewhat odd. May be m_ColorSpaceConversion was too long for Unity dev - just a guess. But I will change the tooltip as planned.

Comment

Ok, so 1 is linear texture? I think 1 is linear because I changed the color space value of 1 to 0 which resulted in the textures being lighter in game. I also changed the normal map color space value from 0 to 1 which did not impact visuals that much but did make things slightly darker in some spots.

This is the unaltered color space value of 1.
          Spoiler
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Color Space 1 color tex.jpg Views:	2 Size:	533.3 KB ID:	5796565

In this next shot the color space value was changed to 0.
          Spoiler
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Color Space 0 color tex.jpg Views:	1 Size:	467.0 KB ID:	5796563

And here I change the normal maps value from 0 to 1.
          Spoiler
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Color Space 1 Normal Maps.jpg Views:	1 Size:	401.3 KB ID:	5796564

It looks to me like illusion did use linear rendering for this game, is that correct? I having been trying out the grahics patch which produces the same results.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by THENewguy1; 06-01-2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Can we only just use the new ex skin textures? I don't think I want to dive into the rest of this mod, given that it totally borks the way adjusting colors functions...

It really seems like the 4k diffuse is going to be completely abandoned for this, and that's very unfortunate; especially considering that this is "experimental".

Comment

• jtenma
              jtenma commented
              Editing a comment
              You could always tweak your curve to make it look similar to your old graphics patch in style. Unless you mean the actual clothing colors being washed out. Although that hasn't been much of an issue for me anyways...

• tmvaegis
              tmvaegis commented
              Editing a comment
              While that's true, I already feel like I've wasted too much time on tweaking the curves and presets when I could have been working on the studio, etc. The clothing colors is another reason for that, yes.
              By tweaking them to be like the graphics patch, you mean simply using the same settings I have, now?

*Edit* - Eh, just tested the new skins... couldn't get the face to look right, plus, I can't stand how warped you have to adjust the colors to make them look right. I also am not thrilled with the idea of being reserved to using only the face textures.

Sadly, gonna have to pass on this mod, though I can't say I'm not surprised.
              Last edited by tmvaegis; 06-02-2017, 10:59 PM.

I subscribe to the sentiment tmvaegis is expressing. The ex skin is highly detailed and it's a shame that it's pinned to such a problematic mod. Having it as a regular asset would be ideal. While I really appreciate your work, plasticmind, and I'm thankful, I think you lose the broader picture with things like curves and this linear rendering. I've yet to get the skin quality in NEO/Party that I had in the old studio with cyberbeings tweaks +8k diffuses. And that didn't bork how the rest of the game looked. But unlike cyberbeing you still care for this game, and for that you have my thanks. Consider this just a humble suggestion.

Comment

• tmvaegis
              tmvaegis commented
              Editing a comment
              Couldn't agree more with you, Gil. Though, I never used the 8k diffuse... do you mean the one that's somewhere around here? If so, I tried that when it came out, and I was kinda disappointed in the results. I think most of us appreciate the simple upgrades that worked wonders, and don't require hours of tweaking to get something desirable.

plasticmind, you're the only one who's really doing anything like this, so I understand and appreciate all that you do, and all the critiques I've ever thrown at what you're doing have only ever been out of caring. It's just important that you understand that cyberbeing created an enhancement that was just a drag-n-drop, but it accomplished so much in the process. It's gotten to the point where I can't decide whether to just abandons Curves, altogether.

GIL★ギル - Btw, what preset/curves are you using now, if any? Stupidly, after applying one of the newer curves, I convinced myself that I liked it, and went through ALL my girls and adjust their skins to accommodate the changes... Bad idea, lol! It was stupid, because I didn't backup my girls to make the change back easier if I wasn't satisfied with the results. I wasn't. Had to change them all back, again. I can't even begin to tell you how much time I wasted last night just tweaking presets and adjusting skin/hair brightness!

• GIL★ギル
              GIL★ギル commented
              Editing a comment
              tmvaegis : after many tests, I'm now using the default preset with no curves. The 8k specular boil down to two img files (cf_s_body & cf_s_face), what I do is insert these into any new cf_m_base and cf_m_face I get. My versions for the latter files are dated 17/05.

To be fair, I have a very loose grasp of how all this works. For instance, I thought the cheek color problem was caused by the 4k mod, but updating SBX uncensor somewhat solved this. I just found this out today. Being able to beef up the skin intensity again will improve results for sure.

So all in all, I think good work is being done, and a process of adaptation is to be expected. Still, I would extremely appreciate having the very detailed ex skin for regular use.
              Last edited by GIL★ギル; 06-03-2017, 10:14 PM. Reason: meant specular not diffuse, I'm dumb

• tmvaegis
              tmvaegis commented
              Editing a comment
              GIL★ギル - lol, I don't think we're the only ones who just want those nice skins. As for the 8k image files, I don't recall anything like that, other than the overly compressed one that someone did around October of last year, I think. I've looked in the pastebin, but couldn't find them. Oh well, I don't think I'll lose sleep over that, so no biggie.
              On the bright side, I think I've finally come up with a reasonable solution to my aliasing battle, and go figure, it involves using ReShade, in the end. I think I'll share it, in a bit, but I gotta check to see how it looks in NEO, too.

So I'm a huge fan of the Linear Lighting mod and the EX_Body, I post as Castle on the discord if anyone here uses it and you might have seen some screenshots there.

I think I've got the skin tone pretty natural, and after that point it comes down to lighting. So for the two above me having a discussion hear me out and try this scene for me, all you need is the LRE withe EX_Body included. No 8k spec maps no any other alterations, take the default mod, use experimental_1 the below char card the below scene and the lighting settings shown in the SS as well as the HSStudio add-on for NEO that gives you the lighting control seen in the SS; in this instance you are using the Flat setting . Open re-shade, which anyone that is really trying to get good images will be using, and just turn on Adaptive Sharpening, HDR, Clarity and Vibrance, no adjustments just default enabled.Under Screen settings turn everything off except SSR and SSAO which you can adjust how you see fit. There is a base to start with. If you load up the Character in Maker, you can pretty much just grab the circle in the colour palette and move it up and down the left of the box to go paler or more tanned while maintaining a fairly natural white skin colour. It works quite well for pale characters under the settings I've managed. I'll post an SS. Anyway try it out if your interested and I'll try and help you guys get on board with this fantastic lighting mod and skin. Using Vibrance and HDR in re-shade brings the maps and clothing back to a non washed out state without having to edit things.

I would also note, for those of you playing with skin colours, that you can save your entire characters settings in the maker now, and load them as you like. So it's really easy to experiment without losing previous settings.

Character Card - http://illusioncards.booru.org/index...=view&id=14155

Scene Card - http://illusioncards.booru.org/index...=view&id=14154

Click image for larger version  Name:	StudioNEO_64 2017-06-04 10-27-43.png Views:	1 Size:	76.8 KB ID:	5797395
            Last edited by soulg; 06-04-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

So I think I figured out the color combination to get pale skin WITHOUT the orangey color:

Spoiler

...man, that was tough. THe "EX" skins are naturally really saturated, so like plasticmind said, you have to move that closer to zero. In my case, I didnt do just that. I used 202, 17, 90 ... which is essentially BLUE-ISH.
            Last edited by jtenma; 06-17-2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X