Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS Linear Rendering Experiment v3.1 (update 17/07/24)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS Linear Rendering Experiment v3.1 (update 17/07/24)

To simplify the install process. In this new version, the latest Graphic Patch (v17.07) from 4K diffuse pack, HS image based lighting (3.0) and lighting rendering asistant (1.0) are included.

The game adds a strong S curve at the end of the process, and uses textures with diminished contrast and saturation, which not only makes texture artifact more visible, but also interferes with the linear rendering workflow. PBR shader is designed to create photo-realistic rendering but it only works in linear space, when it's not working in the linear space, we'll see either too strong reflection or too strong shadow just what HS looks like. What I'm trying to do is fix both the texture and curve so that PBR shader can work in the linear space, the results are promising.

gamma rendering workflow
    gamma space texture --> rendering in gamma space --> gamma corrected image

linear rendering workflow
    gamma space texture --- gamma to linear conversion --> linear space texture --> rendering in linear space --> linear space image --- linear to gamma conversion --> gamma corrected image

HS rendering workflow
    over corrected gamma texture --- gamma to linear conversion --> gamma space texture --> rendering in gamma space --> color correction curve --> linear space image --- linear to gamma conversion --> gamma corrected image

Directional light fall-off

This is the comparison on unity manual
    • Dependency
    1. 170630 DLC;
    2. SBX2 Uncensor version 2.5 or after;
    3. IPA
    • What can you expect?
    1. Mathematically correct lighting;
    2. Much better texture detail;
    • Screenshots

Spoiler

New screenshots featuring HDR rendering and ACES Tone mapping
    Spoiler

Screenshots with Image based lighting
    https://imgcave.com/album/Q2UI
    • Limit
    Now it only works on female characters, everything else looks gray until their textures been fixed. So I recommend using this on a fresh install, or do a complete backup of your game, and only use it in Studio Neo, if you're using it in main game, press X to disable map. Fully colorable clothes or items can be fixed by readjusting the color.
    The Chara maker background can only set to solid color now, but you can load cubemaps in chara maker.
    • How to install
    1. Install 0630DLC from illusion.jp
    2. Install SBX2.5 uncensor
    3. (Optional) Install translation loader
    4. Extract all files copy into the game folder and overwrite
    5. Install IPA 3.3(drag & drop HoneySelect_xx.exe StudioNEO_xx.exe onto IPA.exe)
    6. (Optional) Install wideslider (run HoneySelect_xx_WideSliderPatch.exe and StudioNEO_xx_WideSliderPatch.exe)
    7. (Optional) Grab cubemaps from https://mega.nz/#F!ofhTgbTQ!fAgjV1YlQ7wRy4vZ-LhZNQ
    • How to use
    Go to chara maker change your characters' skin and face type to the new types(one new body and 21 new faces), and take the LRE sample character as reference to adjust skins. If you have a huge number of characters, I recommend Ultra Char Editor v0.1 for party.
    F5 menu now works in Hscene, StudioNeo and Chara maker.

Upgrade from v2?
    There's not much change to the character, but post effect has greatly changed, the old config files are not compatible, backup the old UserData\GraphicSetting folder just in case you want to roll back.
    • Download

https://mega.nz/#F!8T4nmCwL!Hxn-LMwvc0pKsAtuUthmHA
    • Optional Download

1. Studio Neo items

2. mod converted for HS_LRE

DillDoe's D.VA mod

3. CubeMaps
    Last edited by plasticmind; 10-03-2017, 05:25 AM.

• GardanXero
    replied
    I installed the [All-in-One] 4K skin diffuse initial pack, everything looks great, except that FK nodes on characters stopped working. I can switch them on, I see the x,y,z indicator, but I cannot turn it or set x,y,z for FK nodes in the number panel. Anyone got a clue how to fix this?

Edit: --> Fixed it by patching StudioNeo.exe with IPA again. see https://joan6694.bitbucket.io/ for more information
    Last edited by GardanXero; 07-25-2019, 09:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ammonro
    replied
    joan
    http://www.hongfire.com/forum/forum/...ted-21-04-2019

https://www.patreon.com/joan6694

Leave a comment:

• THENewguy1
    commented on 's reply
    Got a screenshot? The text should not have changed.

• soyboy
    replied
    The text of UI is a way tiny and I’m looking for a way to enlarge it. Could anyone help me how? Or it’s just a problem occurred during the installation process? Thank you in advance.

Leave a comment:

• tagehest1
    replied
    Great mod, but one issue I have been having is that i lose the "nothing" option and several items switch ID. Anyone know a fix to this?

Leave a comment:

• THENewguy1
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like the game is no up to date or you installed something wrong.

• soyboy
    replied
    Yeah, I thought it worked just fine before having installed LRE. And now I’m stuck at how to install animations/movements to LRE. Somewhat, I can’t add animations to my characters as nothing shows up when I click on the anim icon. I was advised to click characters that I want to add movements but even so, nothing happens. What should I do now?

Leave a comment:

• ssho
    replied
    Fuck this mod Now I need to re-install the whole game. Tons of mods missing now fucking shit.

Leave a comment:

• THENewguy1
    commented on 's reply
    This mod is much more than the ability to adjust colors to one's liking. It adds HDR rendering with 5 tonemappers to chose from, allows adjustment of the base ambient light level (I wish someone made a plugin for this that saves the value into scene files), it allows fine tuning of ambient occlusion and bloom which become the defaults for the game, can change the default FOV for when you press the camera reset key in the main game, and it can change the initial light intensitiy for each game scene area, main menu, character maker, etc.

This mods initial settings set the light's intensities very low, some light may have even been set to zero (I would have to check). If you are tuning the settings to compinsate for dim lighting you lose lighting detail and scene files you get from other people will appear over bright.

I am not telling you what values to use I am saying the values I listed are the most accurate to the design of the game and most compatible for sharing scenes and character cards.

I do not agree with some of illusion choices, but that I can fix by modifying the game. Also FYI the brilliant red carpet in the VIP Lobby and some other what you may also considers odd in some maps is the result of lightmaps. I have been thinking about trying to make new light maps at some point but I must finish my current work first.
    Last edited by THENewguy1; 03-10-2019, 01:28 AM.

• syia
    commented on 's reply
    I see. Thanks for the info. Though, my point isn't about what the artist or illusion soft intends. It's what the end-users intents. If you apply vibrance to the scene, it alters the color to the point that, it no longer display accurately. Notice the brown in the pic is no longer brown. That's my point. You "the end user, gamer" want to work with accurate looking colors, you want vibrance 0. You don't care about color accuracy and just want things to look fruity tooty, then crank up that vibrance and saturation all you want.

I'll stick to the new settings after countless of adjustments to get it the way I prefered it. Illusion's choice of color is terrible. Don't you think that's the whole point on why there are mods to correct it? It just doesn't make any sense to me to use a mod to get back the look of what Illusion soft intents. If you want to get that look, then simply just don't install the mod? I mean, look at all that color bleed that washes out the details.

I also don't like the gamma too low, as that also block out details and having to fiddle with the light parameters and settings to brighten it again is unnecessarily extra work. So 0.75 for gamma is the sweet spot for me with exposure at 1, because I don't have to adjust anything else in the Plasticmind's LRE in-game settings. Load the game, start the stage, load the model in, and it's perfect. Don't have to angle additional lights, increase intensities, etc. This reversal of Plasticmind's default setting actually give better color depth, white and dark levels.

• THENewguy1
    commented on 's reply
    You mean blush. It could be a render queue issue or maybe roy12 needs to implement it.

Do they blush if you don't use the 4k diffuse textures?

• THENewguy1
    commented on 's reply
    Vibrance alters the colors after the scene is rendered, it does not change the color space. I know what vibrance does. The reason I set vibrance to one is because it results in the game's color being a near match to what the game looks like without this mod. The VIP lobby having a brillant red carpet is the way illusion intended, it is a brilliant red without this mod.

The problem with not using vibrance is you are assuming you are working with accurate colors as intened by the artist to begin with. I don't think that is the case beause of what I wrote above.

Applying gamma correction at the end does not result in incorrect texture gamma if using linear rendering. Unity expects gamma corrected textures. The gamma corrected textures will be converted to linear textures beforce the scene is to be rendered when using linear rendering. Unity then applies gamma correction to the frame once everything is done, however I think you can leave the frame without gamma correction if you wish. And that is one of the weird things of this mod, there is no gamma correction applied. Thus I applied basic gamma correction, a gamma of 0.454545454545.... which is 1 / 2.2. Gamma of 0.45454545... is not actually correct gamma correction, the sRGB gamma conversion formula plasticmind and I talked about is what is needed for the gamma to be truely correct and is what Unity uses. It is my conversation with plasticmind and that I cannot find in his code a change of the rendering color space that I think this mod actually strips off the sRGB gamma correction and removes illusion color grading or something because setting vibrance to 1 gets the game looking more as illusion made it.

I am well aware not all monitors have the same gamma but it's not going to be a difference so big as for 0.75 gamma to be the inverse of the monitor's gamma. Besides setting the monitor to sRGB mode should take care of this, at least well enough.

A linear image will appear washed out and light/pale on the display, not dark.

Setting gamma to 0.454545.... resulting in incorrect gamma, as in gamma correction has been doubled up, would be true if the game were using gamma rendering space not linear. What ever the case it is obvious that as default, this mod results in a final image that is linear.

For the color to be correct you should be able to use cards and scenes by other users not using this mod and not have their color all out of wack. Which is the case with the settings I settled on.

• syia
    commented on 's reply
    Vibrance probably doesn't have anything to do with "rendering" the color space, but you're taking that word literally as something the gpu is doing, when what I meant is that it affects the color space in a way that it in-accurately defines the RGB color space. Just my poor choice of words.

If you open up paint and play around with the RGB colors, inputting various combination to get like saddlebrown; 139,69,19 or aquamarine; 127,255,212. The color is 100% accurate, as it's flat and auto-gamma corrected. Even various websites depicting the color matches.

Now, once you enable vibrance by setting it to 1 for the application/game; aka Honey Select using this mod. The color is altered slightly to profoundly depending on the intensity value; 0.1 to 2.0. Then it's doesn't match at all anymore. As vibrance's purpose is to bring out the intensity of the colors by trying to make it "pop" and basically another method of oversaturation with some limitations on what colors it intensify. Whereas saturation just intensify every color. So vibrance introduces inaccurate colors when you're trying to work with accurate color values.

If you take a look at the lobby background from the game's menu selection, with vibrance to 1, you'll notice the carpet colors are intensified, muchly so with combination of gamma at 0.4545454. It looks very unnatural. You're losing a lot of detail, due to too much color bleed from the red.

You may also be forgetting one really important thing about gamma correction. That is if the textures/image are already pre-corrected. Applying 0.4545454 for gamma again un-corrects it. Then you get an image output that goes back to 1.0 gamma (aka a dark scene in Linear RAW Image). When a corrected gamma encoded image (as far as the standards goes) is 1/2.2, which is an accurately lit scene. Furthermore, not all monitors are created equal. So manual adjustment to the gamma is required to get the correct brightness without the black and white levels being washed out or too dark. In my case, having gamma value set to 0.75 does it for me, with everything else set to 1. Vibrance at 0.

<ToneMapping>
    <tonemapper>1</tonemapper>
    <exposure>1</exposure>
    <Lut>False</Lut>
    <LutName>Neutral</LutName>
    <LutContribution>1</LutContribution>
    <tint>0</tint>
    <contrast>1</contrast>
    <temperatureShift>0</temperatureShift>
    <hue>0</hue>
    <saturation>1</saturation>
    <value>1</value>
    <vibrance>0</vibrance>
    <gain>1</gain>
    <gamma>0.75</gamma>
    </ToneMapping>

Edited: Here's some images...

Using your recommended settings

Using Plasticmind's default settings

Tweaking settings to my preference

Using settings I preferred but with your suggestion on vibrance set to 1:
    Last edited by syia; 03-07-2019, 09:41 PM.

• soyboy
    commented on 's reply
    Much appreciated for the prompt reply. I mean, it’s the effect that makes girls’ faces turn red when they are nearly cumming. I noticed they didn’t flush after having installed this along with the 4k diffuse initial pack. Any guess how to fix this? Thank you.
Working...
X