Media Factory (jp) asked Animesuki to take down fansubs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Factory (jp) asked Animesuki to take down fansubs

Hey alls, sorry of this is a repeat, but I searched forums, didnt find it. This is an issue I think is pretty important, just wanted to get peoples opinions.

I read at animesuki that mediafactory had a lawyer send email (and certified international letter i think?) on Dec. 7 to animesuki telling them to remove all of their works, albeit them only being licensed for distribution in Japan only for the time being:

Check It Out Here

This could have serious implications for the fansub community, as before we only (well, at least I do), dreaded US licensors taking a series down from fansub distribution through cease and desist requests.

Will this impact fansubs in the future? Just wanted to get peoples two cents.

PS - I hope by the time the next Akane Maniax comes out (its one of the titles taken down at Media Factory Request), that there will be some other venue of obtaining
    Last edited by starcaptor; 12-09-2004, 04:07 AM.
    Come check out HF-Incest : Its the place created specially for twincest fetishes, sister complexes, aspiring onii-chans, and all things related to keeping romance in the family. Taboo-licious!

Also, check out Kyoudai-Translations, an HF-Incest-approved doujin translation group, run by our very own littledgn & yana-chan

Originally posted by gazette
    Unfortunately I don't have a sister this lifetime, so... I'm gonna start getting girls to scream onii-chan when they orgasm. :3

This is the beginning of an end
    Actually, I had a sense this would happen sometime sooner, and I wouldn't be surprised a bit if I come tomorrow and see all the fansubs were discontinued.
    And just think how awful it would become if the japanese gaming companies took action
    Last edited by NightviSion; 12-09-2004, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Dunno if even hosting torrents is illegal, like it seems to me it depends in what country the host(tracker/server) is in, as for a BT site called Thepiratebay they have recived alot of Emails from variouse companies trying to take down the torrents with the help from the law but all of them have failed cus its not illegal(not in sweden(prolly not only sweden))
      for more info look at this site:

http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/

Comment

Aaaaugh!

WHHAAAT! would this mean that we might have to start paying membership fees like napster and the others to keep torrents?!?!?

Comment

It really depends on what idea of copyright infringement the production company has. If they're really protective of their works, well, that's not going to be good news.
          sigpic
          いつまでも 覚えてる 何もかも  わっても ひとつだけ ひとつだけ ありふれた 物だけど 
          見せてやる 輝きに 満ちたその  とつだけ いつまでも いつまでも 守ってゆく
          Join HF-Key Club! GAO~~~! Mindless Key minion #14.
          Got "GAOU~~~!" ? Confused with AIR's ending? Click here and here

Comment

That kinda pisses me off. I don't hold anything for protecting yourself and all the work you do to offer this medium to us. But I don't understand the japanese company complaining about fansubs because IMO fansubs increase the amount of knowledge/interest in their shows and has their fans ask american distributors to license them.

I know I've seen American distribution companies in the past list several non-licensed titles on their websites and ask fans 'So which show would you like to see us try to pursue a license for?'

How would people even know about that to vote without fansubs? It's just silly IMO.

And if they're doing this it'll just be a matter of time before other japanese companies get onboard and decide to send out similar things.

I can understand a company trying to protect their product and finances, but I think in this case they're just way off base.

Spoiler
            Originally posted by starcaptor
            I would say Lisa Hayes would probably have the best historical account since shes been on the ship for quite a while. I remember talking to hongfire one on one in the forums for only one thing, and that was...why was the website called hongfire?

Comment

I can't believe they're doing something like this.
              Fansubs are just like replays in Japan. They're aired and watched by japanese people. What's the difference to let even more people watch them? They don't make a difference anyways. I understand their concern about licienced animes, but certainly not this one.

Comment

Anyone with legal knowledge here? Can they really bring a case against AnimeSuki? Disregarding the whole legality issue of fansubs, the website is just a collection of links isnt it? Will be interesting to know for certain since HF can be affected in the same way.
                Koko ni iru.

Comment

Well this doesn't sound very good but for the meantime I am going to watch where this is going to develop.Let's just hope that it doesn't get any worse than this
                  If it however gets much worse,it might mean that I have to start buying my anime.
                  "Don't expect anything wise from me"

Comment

Originally posted by HereAtThere
                    Fansubs are just like replays in Japan. They're aired and watched by japanese people.
                    Fansub works actually get aired on local tv in Japan? I didn't know that.
                    I always thought that only licensed products gets aired in the local tv.

Spoiler
                    Originally posted by starcaptor
                    I would say Lisa Hayes would probably have the best historical account since shes been on the ship for quite a while. I remember talking to hongfire one on one in the forums for only one thing, and that was...why was the website called hongfire?

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa Hayes
                      Fansub works actually get aired on local tv in Japan? I didn't know that.
                      I always thought that only licensed products gets aired in the local tv.
                      the ones aired in Japan are the RAW ones.
                      But RAWs are only in Japan, fansubs are like making the whole world to be able to see it.

Comment

Meh... its not like they can completely stop all fansubbers\trackers anyways.

Comment

As for Media Factory's incident, I won't go so far to say that they're wrong. It IS their properties, they have the right to say what's right & what's not, whether they want to make more money out of them by distribution or popularity/recognition (fansub or otherwise) is entirely up to them, silly or not. They have their own reasons, it's not our decision to make. As for distributed raw animes (NOT private), they are equivalent as US/Hollywood DVD/TV/etc. licensed rips distro., so it's their decision whether they want to sue or not (US movie studios already targeted some users). As anime culture is getting more & more popular (& thus making more money), we know that this is going to happen sooner or later. As for Animesuki, I don't think they're the ones in deepest trouble, it's the original distros who are going to get the most headaches out of these.

It's just a matter of time before it get serious.......
                          Last edited by BOiNG!; 12-09-2004, 11:20 AM.

Comment

But what is wrong on hosting Torrents? its just a pice of information on HOW you can download. Yes its wrong in USA, but there is contries that those stuff is legal. Its not the site that is doing anything wrong its those that is seeding and downloading

Comment

As I said, the ORIGINAL distros. I think they're just targeting Animesuki (since it hosts lots of torrent) just to scare the others, like scarywater which hosts a lot of the these. Legal or not, it depends on the original seeders, which is another long story debated before.......
                              Last edited by BOiNG!; 12-09-2004, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X