[Review] Sword art online

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Review] Sword art online

Had to wait to get this one out because of Christmas activities. And I'm now posting it, not on my blog but in the forums.

Story 9/10

A very interesting story here, and it is the thing that drew me to the series itself. As an mmo player myself, it leaves you wanting to play the game you are watching. Even if you die when your character does. True at some points being an mmo player will have you yelling at the screen trying to tell the animated characters how to play, but it's really enjoyable.

What brings the story down below a ten is the fact that if you haven't read the light novels the opening at a certain point showing Kirito and some new characters flying about with wings and pointed ears before it is introduced in the story can leave you looking around asking; "Wait, flying fairies, what?" The change of games as well is sort of jarring.

Animation 10/10

This anime is beautiful. The character designs, the armor and weapon designs, and the scenery leave you in awe. The movement for an action anime has to be smooth and it SAO does it's job. Rather fighting trash mobs, grouping up for a boss fight, or dueling other players, the action is portrayed in a way that keeps you interested and invested in what is going on.

Sound 8/10

The two opening and ending themes here are lack luster. I found myself skipping them completely just to get to the good stuff. To me they aren't very memorable and don't go to well with the series. The voice acting however is great. You have a large cast in this anime and only two characters come out as annoying. At least the annoying characters don't show up to frequently. Always a plus.

Characters 9/10

When you have such a large cast like this series you are bound to have a bit of confusion as to who is who. That is the only thing that brings the score down here. While I enjoyed most of the characters, and loved the main characters. The large cast really is daunting. You will be hard pressed to remember all of the characters names from the first half, when the second half of the series comes along.

Overall 9/10

Overall this is definitely on my top ten list now. The story is fantastic. The animation and artwork is beautiful. And the cast is enjoyable. Though the themes are lacking in a lasting effect. it doesn't take away from the story itself, nor does it completely kill the enjoyment. I recommend this anime to fellow mmo players, and the anime fans looking for a great story.

~:I'm doing anime reviews on my blog. Check them out.:~

a very good anime

Comment

I like it.
      I'm not good at English.

Comment

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid. When you're talking about video game oriented anime the inevitable comparison is .hack. Now say what you will, but .hack sure as hell wasn't some cliche high school harem fest like SAO appears to be. Nice review though, I don't blame folks for going easy (music is lackluster, 8 out of 10!) given how defensive people can be.
        "There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery."

Comment

wasn't
          harem
          Isn't that a bad thing? Actually .hack//G.U. had a reasonably sized harem, only problem is that in the end the game lets you go for just 1 person's ending (including a possible gay marriage~ ).

I'd personally give everything except story 1 point less than what OP did, but the narration gives a fairly vivid depiction of virtual reality that makes me go "if I had a RPG that realistic and complex" And that in turn draws me to play Fallout and Skyrim for a little while every time I read a chapter of SAO. That picturing of VR alone is a biggest point of SAO I think, after that the story and characters themselves.
          Last edited by sailabc1; 01-10-2013, 08:15 AM. Reason: "let's"... I can't believe even I made that mistake ._.

RANCE 5D+VI TO BE OFFICIALLY RELEASED IN ENGLISH BY MANGAGAMER!
          If you like the Rance series and the company that made it, join the AliceSoft Fan Club!

Comment

Heh, whenever I see a series I like I avoid future iterations like the plague so not familiar with the .gu thing you mention. I swear .hack's soundtrack was one of the best I've ever heard though.
            "There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery."

Comment

This one look good. I think there's some MMO where you can choose hardcore mode that made permanent dead. So will there be a Sword Art Online MMORPG?

Comment

Originally posted by Annzen View Post
                This one look good. I think there's some MMO where you can choose hardcore mode that made permanent dead. So will there be a Sword Art Online MMORPG?
                There'll be a PSP release (obviously not multiplayer... I think), but personally I already know I won't be satisfied with that.

TES VI, where art thou?
                Last edited by sailabc1; 01-10-2013, 08:14 AM.

If you like the Rance series and the company that made it, join the AliceSoft Fan Club!

Comment

I can't agree with ZeTeddy as far as the Story is concerned. I would give it a 6/10, because the episodes 5 to 7 are kind of useless. But I really liked what was after that. I even bought the books in Japanese (can't read it yet, though. still learning from it.)

But hey ; I you like the "die and you die" pressure thingy ; check out this game : forbidden.exe. If you know it already, it's cool. If not, have a nice play. (not a scary game. Just a lot of pressure, you'll see, eventually ^^ )

Comment

What, fail to beat it and it formats your computer or kills off your important data? O_o

Comment

Originally posted by sailabc1 View Post
                      What, fail to beat it and it formats your computer or kills off your important data? O_o
                      Yeah :] Die in SAO => You die. Lose in forbidden.exe => you lose everything.
                      Is it true or not. I don't know ... haven't played it yet XD too scared XDD

Comment

hmm...I for one say they actually failed to pull it off properly compared to the LN. True, it's close to impossible to make an adaptation that is exactly like the original but they kinda failed in some parts of the story and the action scenes. They actually diverge from the LN in the action scenes to make it fit into 4-5 minutes of an episode and it sometimes dragged on more than it should like the one with Kuradeel where they dragged the dialog on for a bit before the duel to make the whole ordeal longer than it should. Oh and the fact that they skipped a whole arc that actually is important for the end of the story while putting in some of the side story that doesn't add much to the main story totally screams poor planning on their part. They should have just made it a 50 episode anime considering pplz actually like the LN and there is enough materials for it. Hell, the current story is gonna be 5 volumes apparently and that could be 24-26 episodes right there.

I would give it an 8 for the story and 8 for animation.
                        Last edited by Veneficae; 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veneficae View Post
                          They should have just made it a 50 episode anime
                          OH GOD I MISS THOSE.
                          Animes like Ueki no Housoku, or Dragon Rider (was it called that ? the anime with a dragon game/world and a mega mini dragon : chibisuke), or Nanoha/Sakura, so on... THOSE DAMNED ANIME YOU COULD WATCH OVER A WHOLE WEEK ><
                          XDD
                          Man, I would have loooooooved SAO if it was a 50/75/155 episode thingy. XD

But Hey. Don't get me wrong. I liked Ueki no Housoku and all these long animes, because they had a great story that led somewhere and then ended. Not like that Naruto crap that never ends and goes nowhere...

It's true. SAO should have been a long release. Because the story needs it. You had so much ways to include exclusive stuff, also. It's about a MMORPG, in the first place : you could have quests, you could have info about jobs, NPCs, guilds, etc... with side stories longer than 1ep and with characters that lasts more than just 1 f*cking episode !!!!
                          hum. I'll hold my horses. Don't worry. DON'T YOU DARE WORRY !! (xD)

I'll just paste what I said about the last ep on another forum :

Originally posted by Oddwel
                          Why do they always have to make the "evil psychopaths" laugh like that ? ... Raito, Sugou, Idunnowho ... Vaas in FarCry3 is a freaking psychopath too but never laughs that loud and that way for no reason.

MUAAAHAHAHAHA ! I am crazy ! Look ! I do an evil laugh for no reason ! That means I'm crazy ! Knee before my craziness ! Muaaahahahahahahhaaa !
                          ... Seriously ? What kind of sense does that make ???
                          I hate clichés like that Sugou ... Why don't they create an interesting vilain, once for a while ? Some freak that does horrible things to show you how crazy he is, not laughs for no reason ... "The world is mine !! HAHAHA !! It's so funny !" ? "You are so power less !! HAHAHA ! It's so funny !" ? Perhaps, but not a so loud laugh and not for that long ...

Sugou makes me nauseous. He is so not interesting, unlike Kayaba who had a real character to show us.
                          I think I'm sick of guys wanting to dominate the world without knowing what it's like ... He thinks he would be a god ? Well let him try ! He'd be bored before he knows it ... Everything bends to your will ? It's fun for a couple of minutes ; not for Eternity. That dumb does not even think about that ... *sigh*
                          I would now replace the example of "true psycho" by Chris and Tina in Sightseers. Those guys are just freakingly creepy... pure psychos. Do they laugh without reason ? No.

God damn, just watch Sightseers before saying you know something about madness and insanity ! Sugou ? A mad villain ? Let me lol ! He's just a pathetic guy with an inferiority complex, and who's made following every psycho-villain cliché ! >< That guy rip Asuna's clothes off, lick her ? And what ? I do this every day in Rapelay, it's not even shocking japanese public. Why the heck would he be seen as crazy ? He's not ! He's just badly designed... Very badly.
                          I'm still waiting for THE anime where you meet a real psycho. A man (or woman) who you KNOW (s)he isn't right ; that there's something about them that's truely insane, truely wrong... disturbing.
                          Sugou isn't that. He's just pathetic.

... why am I talking about it anyways ? No one gives a f$^ùk about him. XD
                          Last edited by Oddwel; 01-17-2013, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddwel View Post
                            I'm still waiting for THE anime where you meet a real psycho. A man (or woman) who you KNOW (s)he isn't right ; that there's something about them that's truely insane, truely wrong... disturbing.
                            2 words, Psycho Pass.

Comment

I'm always hesitant watching an anime adaption of a LN or manga that I've read because it usually doesn't match up to the source. Granted there are definitely exceptions, but I'll probably reserve judgement until I start watching this.

Comment

Working...
                              X