Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weapon making in cosplay

I'm cosplaying with some friends this year
    I was debating if I should cosplay as a character with a weapon or not (I have a thing for swords ^^')

so yeah...I'm curious...what're some materials that's good for making swords?
    wood, plastic, styrofoam, etc.

how long/expensive would it be? and how would it feel carrying it?
    just wondering and trying to come up with a decision

"Being a shooting star isn't always a bad thing, remember, a shooting star tears through the darkness of the night..."

Well i used wood which i carved and painted. Looked really good, but its fragile,
    so you have to be careful to not hit anything with it.

And i seen really good works with it on Cosplay.com and some
    of my friends... like a real looking Tessaiga which a friend used in his Inuyasha
    cosplay.

The downside its which you will need proper tools or face a long
    time carving it at hand.

The feeling depends on the wood, which i suggest to be as hard as possible.
    But while most resistant it is, it will be more heavy.

The other thing its which depends too in the weapon you are aiming for... a
    normal sized sword wouldnt be much a trouble to carry around, but
    a longer one like the Zanzabatou of Sano, the Buster Sword of Cloud or the Dragonslayer
    of Gatsu would be really heavy.

So in that case use plastic. If you can use carbon fiber, thats for what i heard the
    best material for doing props.
    With a infinite number of universes, your life is interesting on one of them.

We`ve got to part now, you and I, but dont be sad America. The Enclave is working tirelessly, to rebuild this great nation, so you dont have to. Until we meet again, this is President Zero, signing off.

Comment

if I am making one, it'll be a normal sized one

what type of tools would I need?
      and approximately how much would the materials cost?

"Being a shooting star isn't always a bad thing, remember, a shooting star tears through the darkness of the night..."

Comment

Tools depend on the material used. Wood would require the obvious. Styrofoam can be cut with a hot wire or carefully with a serrated blade. PVC can be cut with and machined with pretty much anything that works with wood. Backerboard is a good material that you may find in the framing department of craft stores like Micheals. To be honest if you have no clue of how to come up with materials or how to process them then maybe attempting a weapon is not a good idea for you. Styrofoam does not paint well unless the paint is water based. Other paints will melt the Styrofoam plus it nicks easily.

Balsa wood is very light and easy to process but it is very fragile.

You could just take the lazy way and buy a 20 buck wooden boken at flea market and paint the blade silver or chrome and wrap the handle.
        “If Apple made a car would it have windows?"

Comment

yeah I guess that would be the smarter thing to do considering I lack experience and tools >.<
          thanks for the replies ^^

Comment

use fiber glass, and to make detail sclupting use Gypsum Powder ^^
            cheap and easy to made

Comment

Working...
            X