Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HF: THE RPG - Now recruiting! (especially sprite artists!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HF: THE RPG - Now recruiting! (especially sprite artists!)

I'm making another game and I need your help! This time it's going to be an RPG about HongFire. That's right, I said HongFire! However, this game is going to be larger and more complex than my last one, that's why I need some help with it. Anyone who's willing to help, please let me know! There are many areas you can help me with but the two main areas are graphics and story.

For graphics, I need the following:
    - People to design character sprites. There's a sample below of the style the sprites will be. You won't necessarily have to design them from scratch. I'll provide some links to online sprite generators, and you can modify and edit existing sprites as necessary to make them look like what we need. You may have to do some manual editing but I can show you how to do that if needed.

Example 1: Some sample NPC characters
    Spoiler

Example 2: The editing process
    Spoiler
    Using an online sprite generator I was able to make this character:

Then, using a program like Pixelformer, I was able to manually edit the sprite to look like this:

Not all sprites will require this much editing, but some may.

- People to find and edit enemy characters, boss characters, and attack moves. Again, you won't have to create anything from scratch so drawing skills aren't necessary. You just need to be able to find the right images and edit them--crop, resize, smooth the edges, that sort of thing.

Example: Two enemy characters
    Spoiler

(P.S. The enemies and characters used in these examples won't be in my game, they're just there to give you an idea of the type of graphics we'll be working with.)

For the story, I need the following:
    - People to help me come up with ideas for quests and the role each character in the game will play. I already have some ideas but there's a lot left to do. I might also ask for a little help with some of the dialogue.

- People to help create and balance the stats of the party members. I want to make a lot of playable characters and they should all be unique in some way. We need to determine what character type they will be, what special moves they will have, and any other special traits they may have.

- I also need help coming up with ideas for weapons, items, armor, accessories, and music.

We are using RPG Maker XP to make this game. Here are a few sample shots of the first area (without any NPCs or enemies around):
    Spoiler

I want this to be a great game but unless I get enough help I won't be able to include everything I want. The more people who are willing to help, the better the game will be and the faster I can finish it. This won't be a crushing burden on you either, it won't take up all your time so you don't need to worry about that. I want this to be a fun process and a positive experience for everyone involved. With a good team I think we can make a really fun game. As an added bonus, anyone who helps out will not only have their name in the credits, I'll also make sure you show up in the game, either as a playable party member, a shopkeeper, or at least a random NPC!

What do you say? Will you help me make HF history? ^^

Here's a link to the group: >> link <<
    (Note: You must be a member to view the group contents.)
    Last edited by stukasa; 02-19-2012, 06:46 PM.

nice idea stuey but i hope it is under a more lucky star than the last attempt on an Hongfire RPG. If you want any help with ideas or story just give me a PM.

...for being late
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein (*1879 +1955)

Comment

Originally posted by WrathOfDragons View Post
      nice idea stuey but i hope it is under a more lucky star than the last attempt on an Hongfire RPG. If you want any help with ideas or story just give me a PM.
      I don't know what happened to that guy, he mentioned wanting to make a HF RPG and then just disappeared! Thanks for your interest. ^^ I'll wait and see how much help I can get, then I'll talk to you further.

Comment

sure youre welcome

...for being late
        "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein (*1879 +1955)

Comment

You are thinking of making something epic don't you stu ?

I really like the whole idea about HF rpg ... I know it will be a great game since you are the one making it ...^^ after playing your previous game I am confident about this one too

Unfortunately I don't know anything about rpg maker so don't know how much useful I will be but I will try my best to help you anyway I can

Comment

Originally posted by xcaliber9999 View Post
            You are thinking of making something epic don't you stu ?

I really like the whole idea about HF rpg ... I know it will be a great game since you are the one making it ...^^ after playing your previous game I am confident about this one too

Unfortunately I don't know anything about rpg maker so don't know how much useful I will be but I will try my best to help you anyway I can
            Thanks for your confidence!

Well that's the good thing, you don't have to know anything about RPG Maker since I'll be the one putting the game together. I just need help with making some of the graphics and coming up with ideas for the quests. For anyone who wants to help with graphics, I'll let you know what I need. It's really not that hard!

Comment

I've always wanted to make one RPG about HongFire but I'm not doing it cause I'm not very sure I'm able to type the text correctly in English so never tried.
              On other hand I'm currently making one game for my friends using RPG Maker VX and well, I don't know every trick of the program but I would like to try helping!
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_293080_1467446443955_602[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Juas View Post
                I've always wanted to make one RPG about HongFire but I'm not doing it cause I'm not very sure I'm able to type the text correctly in English so never tried.
                On other hand I'm currently making one game for my friends using RPG Maker VX and well, I don't know every trick of the program but I would like to try helping!
                Thanks! Like I told xcaliber, you don't need to know anything about RPG Maker to help. My biggest concern is getting all the graphics I need, without those the game is going to take a really long time to make. Of course, if someone doesn't want to help with that, there are plenty of other things to help with too. I'll be providing more details to the people who want to help, but first I want to see how much help I'm going to get!

Comment

Well, of course graphics are an important matter, but as long as there's an enjoyable story and references to HF and members or Anime/game characters, you don't need to worry about graphics. I mean, in the game I'm making I'm using only what the program has, and for enemies just change colors. But my focus were making people laugh and I get it, so let's try making a beta or something!
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_293080_1467446443955_602[/ATTACH]

Comment

A veteran HF member who is genuinely nice (I think a few people will know where I'm getting at with that one...) and is an effective regular attempting to come up with a HF RPG? This one does seem to have a better chance of being pulled off compared to previous attempts.

Hmm... I suppose I could speak my mind about the quest and the dialogues, mainly. But I might also help with the graphic parts a bit, especially considering it involves cropping and resizing, which is what I'm most experienced with and pretty much the only skills I have with image editing.

P.S.: I really should play your previous RPG one of these days, stukasa.

Many thanks to darkandshadow for helping me in the creation of this signature!
                    "We are the owners of our own thoughts and yet also the slaves of our own words."
                    "To create enemies it is not necessary to declare war, saying what you think is enough."
                    ~Rick, HF-Hentai #473 | My Blog | FlashChat - We welcome you to join ~
                    HongFire: The RPG - Still recruiting for more help

Comment

I could help edit sprites, like the one you did. I'm being serious about this, I used to rip off sprites from websites and recolor them and change them .

Comment

@Juas: It's not the quality of the graphics, I just need graphics in general. Since I'm trying to make this game about HF, I don't want to use the ones that came with RPG Maker. Those would look fine for a fantasy/medieval setting but this game isn't going to look like that. For example, you always use Rei Ayanami avatars so I'd probably make your character look like Rei (unless you have an objection to that ). So I'll need someone to either find or edit a character sprite to look like Rei in the same style as my examples #1 and #2 in the first post.

@Rick: Thanks so much! Help with the graphics is the thing I need most. It's not a matter of being able to do it since it's not that hard, it's just a lot of work for me to do on my own, that's why I'm asking for help. And yes, you should definitely play my other game. I'm using the same editor to make this one so it would give you an idea of what the finished game is going to look like, graphics-wise.

@Cheese: Great, thanks! I could use the help.

Comment

Stukasa, I want to be a character there, if possible nya. >.<

I guess I still have to install the RPG maker as first, before I am able to help.
                          Say, could I make designs from dungeons? Or from towns nya.
                          Anyways map designer would be nice I guess.

Jun~

Comment

Originally posted by Watarase Jun View Post
                            Stukasa, I want to be a character there, if possible nya. >.<

I guess I still have to install the RPG maker as first, before I am able to help.
                            Say, could I make designs from dungeons? Or from towns nya.
                            Anyways map designer would be nice I guess.

Jun~
                            Sure, anyone who helps me will be in the game. ^^ Installing RPG Maker isn't necessary to help with the game but we can talk about the specifics later. Thanks for your support!

Comment

BTW, are you planning on gathering people before going any further, stukasa? Cause a project this big is begging for its own social group where we can discuss everything about the game development process. Or would you rather do it all in this thread?

Many thanks to darkandshadow for helping me in the creation of this signature!
                              "We are the owners of our own thoughts and yet also the slaves of our own words."
                              "To create enemies it is not necessary to declare war, saying what you think is enough."
                              ~Rick, HF-Hentai #473 | My Blog | FlashChat - We welcome you to join ~
                              HongFire: The RPG - Still recruiting for more help

Comment

Working...
                              X