Blood's Amateur Nature Photography *Update October 9th, 2013*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood's Amateur Nature Photography *Update October 9th, 2013*

Heh, it was 5:00 am and I still couldn't get to sleep so I decided today would be a great day to try out my new Pentax k-r camera + 18-55mm lens. Early morning sunshine being the best time to take pictures so I spent the next four hours running around outside. Who could possibly go to Uni classes when the day is so glorious? Especially since sunny days are a rare occurrence here.

But yes, like I said, these were all taken literally three to four hours ago~

I'll arrange it by categories;

Updates:

*Update October 9th 2013*

*Update October 2nd 2012*

*Update September 19th 2012*

*Update August 31st 2012*

*Update August 12th 2012*

*Update July 17th 2012*

Note: In my opinion most of my "good" photos are in the update links above. With more recent being where I have more experience with the camera. This post is the first day I took shots with the camera so I think they're relatively not as good.

Landscapes-

Spoiler

Update(14.6.12) Landscape Part 2- Added eight pics from same outing~

Spoiler

Cats-

Spoiler

Insects-

Spoiler

Flowers/Plants-

Spoiler

Ducks-

Spoiler

I was hilariously sleep deprived at the point of taking these pics so its hard to say if they are objectively good beyond my own biased opinion. Although I'll admit I'm still a complete beginning amateur to photography.

Comments, criticisms, and constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by BloodmageR; 10-09-2013, 04:08 AM.

Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness.

I don't know much about photography, but I know what I like and I like your photos. They look very beautiful and the quality of photos is good too. Of course, it's easier to take beautiful shots when you live in a beautiful place like that! I'd have to go on a trip to get shots like that.

That first insect is really crazy/cool looking, do you know what kind it is?

I've said it before but your cats are really cute! They sure have a nice yard to play in as well!

Keep up the good work! And feel free to share any more photos that you take. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by stukasa View Post
      I don't know much about photography, but I know what I like and I like your photos. They look very beautiful and the quality of photos is good too. Of course, it's easier to take beautiful shots when you live in a beautiful place like that! I'd have to go on a trip to get shots like that.
      Thank you for the kind comments!

That first insect is really crazy/cool looking, do you know what kind it is?
      It's a dragonfly and I'm pretty sure that it's called a four-spotted Skimmer. They're about 2.5 inches(64mm) long. Actually I didn't get as close for that shot as I would have liked since I'm more so scared of Dragonflies than most other insects. ^^;

I've said it before but your cats are really cute! They sure have a nice yard to play in as well!
      Hehehe, extra photos of Blizzard then.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Keep up the good work! And feel free to share any more photos that you take. ^^
      I may add some more photos that I took yesterday to this thread at some point since it was quite difficult to narrow down 600 photos to twenty-two that I liked the most. Then of course I'll be going to the Puffin Islands soon so I should have some interests pics from there as well~

Comment

We don't have dragonflies where I live. Why are you more scared of them? Are they dangerous or just creepy?

Wow, 600 photos? How long did it take you to photograph that many? Did you do it in a single day or over a longer period of time?

I don't know anything about the Puffin Islands, what kind of place are they and why are you planning to visit them? ^^

Comment

Dude, if that's what your pics look like when you take them sleep-deprived, I'd really love to see what you can do after a good-night's rest!

In principio erat Verbum, et Verbum erat Programma, et Programma erat Miku. Et Miku Caro Factum Est, et Habitavit in Nobis.

Comment

For your landscapes, you cheat because all you have is that around
            you..

Comment

We don't have dragonflies where I live. Why are you more scared of them? Are they dangerous or just creepy?

Wow, 600 photos? How long did it take you to photograph that many? Did you do it in a single day or over a longer period of time?

I don't know anything about the Puffin Islands, what kind of place are they and why are you planning to visit them? ^^
              Yep, they're huge when compared to other insects along with being incredibly quick. They can bite you but they won't unless you touch them. I think they look really cool but they're also creepy as well. I'll just say that I have bad childhood memories of being outdoors and harassed by swarms like this. Kind of scary for a 3-4 year old.

Spoiler

600 was just in that one outing. Four hours and it's important that you take them quickly so you have the right shots and then I also had a somewhat quick pace. However I was completely exhausted after climbing through all the brush, hills, jumping across rocks, shallow rivers etc.

Puffin island for the Puffins of course~! Everyone loves Puffins.

Spoiler
              *note I didn't take this pic even though it's in my photography thread. ^^;

Originally posted by stormwyrm View Post
              Dude, if that's what your pics look like when you take them sleep-deprived, I'd really love to see what you can do after a good-night's rest!
              Thanks! Haha, maybe it was because I was sleep deprived that I could focus more clearly at the task of getting the right perspective? idk I doubt it would be too substantial a difference. At this point I think I mainly need to concern myself with figuring out more of the manual setting features which is difficult work and quite a bit to learn.

Originally posted by darkandshadow View Post
              For your landscapes, you cheat because all you have is that around
              you..
              Yeah they're there to make up for all the long winters and endless days of overcast or fog that we always seem to have in plentiful amounts here. But yes, I live within a five minutes walk to that area which is why I regularly use it as a jogging trail during the Summer.

Anyway, I'll update with some more landscape photos since I took quite a few.

Comment

More to me are fairly un-interesting, but that is also because of the lack of bokeh, bracketing and framing. That said, I appreciate this photo for the use of the rule of thirds:

Work on framing, lower our aperture and consider investing in a circular polarizer to enhance the colors of the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by aquamarine View Post
                  More to me are fairly un-interesting, but that is also because of the lack of bokeh, bracketing and framing. That said, I appreciate this photo for the use of the rule of thirds:
                  Work on framing, lower our aperture and consider investing in a circular polarizer to enhance the colors of the sky.
                  Thank you, that was the sort of constructive feedback that I wanted to hear as a beginner so I can learn how to improve my photos in the future. +rep

Originally posted by cgoudmand
                  Excellent pictures ! :3
                  Thanks, I'm glad to hear you liked them!

Comment

nice photo's always wanted to make some cool photo's myself, but im kinda stuck in a urban area so no nature pictures.
                    mhhh.... maybe i can photograph my city.... mhhh ideas....
                    Your cat is still "cool" too XD
                    naow i wanna haz a cute kitty cat too.
                    sigpic

Comment

Haha, the pictures of the ducks are pretty funny.

I like the close up on the insects, they're pretty fascinating ;P

I think that the Landscape photos could use a focal point (uh i mean like something to focus on)
                      But honestly i know nothing about photography it's probably just my personal opinion... ^^;;;

Great photos though keep up the good work (:

Comment

Major update time~

Lately I've been trying to focus more so on having a focal point in my photos along with the lighting. It's only been a month so I'm not quite satisfied with my experience with manual settings. Like these photos turned out(overexposed, focusing, light etc) but overall I think they're improvements on my previous photos here. Also I have to say that I hate the rule of thirds so much, just for personal aesthetic reasons though. xD

Landscapes

Spoiler

Dragonflies

Spoiler

Flowers(macro)

Spoiler

Cats

Spoiler

Last edited by BloodmageR; 10-05-2012, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Every time you post pictures I get jealous of your scenery. Not that we don't have some pretty nice scenery where I live, but I have to go further to see it. And there's not as much of the "unspoiled wilderness" that I see in your photos. By the way, there are several types of really beautiful purple flowers where you live. Anyway, great photos as always!

P.S. Ending your photo sessions with cats is kind of like cheating because no one can resist the charm of cute, playful kittens. (the last one is my favorite, I love the way he's sticking his head out from under the furniture x3)

Comment

Oh Blood, I am overwhelmed that you got to live in a place like this. It's incredibly beautiful and you've got so nice catches. All is so beautiful and the insects, cats, and ducks are such a playful view. Those purple flowers, as stuky mentioned, must have contributed to your good sense of judgement. I can see why you never get banned. Maybe if you start a fight with me only. Lol - just kidding, keep the good work and passion.

There is definitely much more clarity in the updated photos.

P.S. How about wild animals and birds?

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments!

Yeah I agree that this time definitely looked to me like I took much better photos in terms of focus, clarity, colour saturation, and lighting. I would attribute that to being less tired, being more experienced with the camera itself(keep in mind still first month I've had it. ) along with the day being perfect with regard to sunlight and cloud cover.

Oh, I don't take wild animal photos like birds since they're way too quick... I have a couple shots of robins, seagulls, crows, and chickadees but they're far away and not really in focus or easy to see. Then with wild animals in general they're not too common to see when they're afraid of humans. Sadly that moose was too fast for me to take my camera out and take a pic of him... he just scared me to death and then hopped my neighbors fence(breaking it in the process.) xD

Haha, but yes it's always key to end with irresistibly cute cat photos.

P.S. The purple flowers by the river are Irises called Northern Blue Flags and the field of purple flowers that I'm in are called Lupins.
                              Last edited by BloodmageR; 07-17-2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X