Questions on Oreshura

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Oreshura

And so I've been watching Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Suru, and I've been wondering about the name of the club that Masuzu creates in the show: 自らを演出する乙女の会 (Mizukara wo Enshutsu Suru Otome no Kai), which my mid-level Japanese translates to "Maiden's Society For Performing Your Own Life". This abbreviates to 自演乙 (jienotsu), and I have no idea why this makes Eita have a rather queasy expression on first hearing it, as though it were a bad pun or something. Some of the English subs make ludicrous and forced translations for this in an attempt to capture some nuance that is getting lost in translation.

Googling 自演乙 shows that it is also a nickname of the Japanese MMA fighter Yuichiro Nagashima who is well-known for cosplaying various anime characters during his entrance to the ring, and is supposedly short for 自作自演おつかれさん (jisaku jien otsukaresan), which I translate as "good work starring in your own play/movie" or "good work doing everything yourself". The word 自作自演 (jisaku jien) also seems to be the Japanese term for Internet sock-puppets, and also has the meaning of a charade or a put-up job.

It really seems that I'm missing something here. What's 自演乙 anyhow?

In principio erat Verbum, et Verbum erat Programma, et Programma erat Miku. Et Miku Caro Factum Est, et Habitavit in Nobis.

Maybe it’s a cultural difference regarding what’s funny that you’re missing?

From what I know 乙 is an Internet slang for おつかれさま used by denizens of sites like 2chan, which doesn’t have a good public opinion. Maybe that’s why she did what she did. It also depends on the context. I haven’t watched the series.

Yumiko (夢巫子) is warawaras other kueea. Singature by Kagomeko (化込子).
    Warawara (妾童) is warawaras first person pronoun.

Comment

I've also seen that comes from 「自作自演、お疲れ様」 which looks like a 2chan (internet) thing when you put a comment and you, in a different account post something cheering yourself too lengthen a conversation just by yourself.

Of course it's a cultural thing unable to be translated, just don't think about it.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_293080_1467446443955_602[/ATTACH]

Comment

Juas, you just described Internet sockpuppetry as practised on 2chan, and as I mentioned 自作自演 seems to have that meaning as well. So I suppose it must be an allusion to a meme on 2chan and/or other Japanese Internet forums about the practice.

In principio erat Verbum, et Verbum erat Programma, et Programma erat Miku. Et Miku Caro Factum Est, et Habitavit in Nobis.

Comment

Working...
        X