Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, I can't decide! Soul Calibur 3 or Tekken 5?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, I can't decide! Soul Calibur 3 or Tekken 5?

or

I've been thinking about buying these Namco games for a while now but I really want to know which one will be my money's worth. I've done some research on these two games already and both seem appealing despite the flaws that they have (then again, no game is ever perfect). Just to note, I do own their previous installments: Tekken 4 and Soul Calibur II. And although I would be considered the "casual gamer" I do play a lot more than most people think and I am pretty patient when it comes to mastering moves, unlocking things (that's half the fun anyway), and trying over and over again to defeat the hard-ass bosses.

The thing that got me wondering though is that there's a Tekken 5 "Dark Resurrection" upgrade, which is currently for the arcades, but does anyone know if it'll be released on the consoles, too? This may be a deciding factor on whether or not I'll purchase Tekken 5... because I surely won't want to waste my money on something that'll have an upgrade in the very near future.

So I ask again, Soul Calibur III or Tekken 5?
    Last edited by Skizzem; 12-30-2005, 12:56 PM. Reason: Added images.

You can always try renting both games first from a rental store like blockbuster or game fly.com that way you can always get your moneys worth when you finally decide to make a choice on which game to buy either Soul Calibur 3 or Tekken 5 ^ ^
    There is nothing more interesting than seeing a phoenix rise out of it's own ashes---------

Comment

if u see urself as a "casual gamer" then i say go with sc3 as the replay value is quite high and there is a hefty amount of modes and content to unlock. both games have the character customization feature but by comparison, t5's is utter crap(if it were like virtua fighters character customization system then it would've at least stood somewhat of a chance.)

however if u r a serious competitive fighting game player and play at ur local arcade, sc3 is pretty much broken. certain glitches and bugs exposed within the first week of release has pretty much deemed the game unplayable among serious high level players. tekken 5 has it's fair share of problems as well, if i recall correctly steve and nina were way to powerful in t5 so they had to create 5.1 then t5:dr(don't know if there's gonna be a console release, wait for more replies. imho i don't think so.) t5 also promotes arcade comp through it's cabinet design being compatable with memory cards and ps controllers(no more 8!7c#ing bout screwed up sticks!)

so in conclusion if u consider urself a casual gamer then go for sc3. t5 only if ur hardcore about the series or play at ur local arcade(don't know bout ur local area but practically every arcade round my local has a t5 cabinet so maybe that says something about it's popularity in arcades.) screw all that stuff i said bout glitches and what not, if u don't play or aspire to play on a serious competitive level then it most likely won't apply to u. hey in the case u still can't decide u can always spend it on something else.
      .....nevermind i was just trying to be funny

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm still vassilating as to which one to buy but I seem to be more inclined towards Soul Calibur III now. (Thanks wyze, lol) I may buy Tekken 5 also but perhaps later when I find out whether T5: DR will be officially ported to the console or not. Besides, I hear that Namco will be producing a Tekken for the PS3 game lineup, which is something to look forward to upon purchasing the next-gen console for the first time.

Vy Low, your suggestion to rent the games is helpful but unfortunately I don't have a subscription to any rental stores (believe it or not) and I doubt I'll be registering to one any time soon. If anything, I'd probably go out and buy a used copy of the game(s) for a cheaper price.

Comment

I haven't tried Tekken but find Soul Caliber 3 really fun. The strategy mode is sort of lame, and I can see how serious players (which I am not) would be troubled by the ease with which button mashing can succeed, but all in all a very good game. Tons of stuff to unlock, nice little mission modes (my favorite is fighting the big statue), lots of cute girls... Too bad there's no online play available, but maybe they'll fix that next time. Definite thumbs up.
          "There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery."

Comment

Originally posted by Karis Fra Mauro
            The strategy mode is sort of lame, and I can see how serious players (which I am not) would be troubled by the ease with which button mashing can succeed, but all in all a very good game.
            ur right about the button mashing, which is one of the reasons sc players r looked down upon by the majority of the fighting game community. its funny how some sc players return this attitude to doa players lol. chalk it up to elitist attitude(not speaking for all fighting gamers so don't flame me!) anyways to elaborate on what u stated it's not just the mashing, the real reason the game is unbalanced in high level play is due to various bugs and glitches one being the infamous [g]2,2 bug(dubbed variable canceling). one way of applying variable cancel is upon getting guard impacted(hold guard, press down, down.) guard impacting is a technique which attempts to balance the game by rewarding frame advantage upon reflecting ur opponents attacks(forward+guard, back+guard, etc.) guard impacting is something all characters can execute and is a way to put a halt to ur opponents aggressive style of play/predictable strings/moves. the variable cancel bug basically renders guard impact useless. usually guard impacting a move yields u frame advantage which u can use to snag a free hit on ur opponent(unless the opponent executes guard impact themselves to break out of stun to counter ur move.) however if u variable cancel upon being guard impacted then u will gain frame advantage instead which equals free hit for getting guard impacted(it just basically switches it around, now instead the player executing the guard impact is at a disadvantage. and it can't be countered in any way.) other bugs/glitches include variable canceling throws which allow u to deliver damage after landing certain throws or a throw when ur opponent is behind u. after executing the throw u can variable cancel and break the animation of the throw and deliver choice attacks to ur helpless opponent. also in addition to all of this some characters r just way too strong.....godly even. however like i stated earlier all of these things r only exploited in high level play so if u don't know how to exploit these things then no worries enjoy the game.
            Last edited by wyze; 12-30-2005, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Hmm, if that bug is still present in the game then maybe it'll help me get through the AI fights a lot better. Besides, I don't really find myself challenging human players anytime soon... don't really know where I could find such players anyway. (At my college campus maybe, who knows...?) But I have to admit the guard impact move isn't as easy IMO (at least on SC:2).. Especially if I were to compare it to DOA's, the guard impact move actually takes a bit of skill, timing, and some luck. Either those or I'm probably the worse Soul Calibur player you've ever seen, hehe!

Comment

sc3 returned to the original sc way of guard impacting which is executed in four directions for mid/high/low attacks while sc2 just had forward+g to counter mid/high and back+g to counter mid/low.

also don't worry about being the worst, hey u haven't seen me play yet.....or maybe thats just me being modest lol i'm kidding of course. i'm not that good and i don't know much about the game compared to the common sc fighting game community member.

Comment

I just ordered the PAL-verson of SC3 for my japanese PS2. If only this was on-line compactible... This would be a HIT game....

~My Gallery~

Comment

heres my advice Skizzem if you want go buy SCIII then download t5 and burn it or get a pirated version of the game(you need a mod chip for both downloading ang buying pirated games). that is what i do most of the time, i buy the really important ones and the rest are either pirated versions or i download them from the net.
                    Last edited by sum1; 12-31-2005, 02:10 AM.

Comment

i wish my ps2 can play pirated games =(

Comment

get a mod chip problem solved

Comment

Originally posted by Skizzem
                          Thanks for the replies. I'm still vassilating as to which one to buy but I seem to be more inclined towards Soul Calibur III now. (Thanks wyze, lol) I may buy Tekken 5 also but perhaps later when I find out whether T5: DR will be officially ported to the console or not. Besides, I hear that Namco will be producing a Tekken for the PS3 game lineup, which is something to look forward to upon purchasing the next-gen console for the first time.

Vy Low, your suggestion to rent the games is helpful but unfortunately I don't have a subscription to any rental stores (believe it or not) and I doubt I'll be registering to one any time soon. If anything, I'd probably go out and buy a used copy of the game(s) for a cheaper price.
                          Understood ^ ^
                          and no worries...
                          There is nothing more interesting than seeing a phoenix rise out of it's own ashes---------

Comment

hmm, well i've never played a tekken game, but i have played Soul Calibur, It was good, you may wanna try renting them then make your choice.

Search Function is an amazing tool - try it out!

Comment

Well...for me Soul Calibur 3....kick ass

A special thanks to PowerMog to have making me a great sig

(Unofficial) HF-Furry Member no.10

Comment

Working...
                              X