No announcement yet.

Name for Katanas with squareish hilts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name for Katanas with squareish hilts?

Does anyone know if there is a certain name for a katana that has a square-like hilt?

I know that most katanas appear to have sort of a circulish oval hilt, but I rarely see the ones with the rectangle-like hilts.

Like the one in this picture.

http://www.animefushigi.com/wallpape...ite%20zero.jpg
    sigpic
    ~Beaten By A Little Girl~

That would be an Chokuto (直刀), also known as straight swords. It's an pretty old sword type which dates back to the pre-Heian period (before the year 794).
    Later (and in the present) they are used as temple offereing swords. Below you see a picture of an Daichokuto, an twohander which is 250cm long:

Harpy,
    Dragonewt, Doll, Ghost, Scylla, Centaur, Queen Bee, Lamia.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamigoroshi View Post
      That would be an Chokuto (直刀), also known as straight swords. It's an pretty old sword type which dates back to the pre-Heian period (before the year 794).
      Later (and in the present) they are used as temple offereing swords. Below you see a picture of an Daichokuto, an twohander which is 250cm long:

Spoiler
      So, what is the name of the Old sword that Kusagani is suppost to be?

PSN ID: TamLux
      STEAM ID: LuxVertas
      I'm on Tumblr and Twitter under Lux-Vertas, Go googleing!

Comment

Kusagani..? Do you mean Ame no Murakumo no Tsurugi a.k.a Kusanagi no Tsurugi? A good question... since its replica is a straight sword, it could be an chokuto too. Though I'd have to see real thing first to be sure of that.
        Last edited by Kamigoroshi; 12-15-2010, 04:49 AM.

Harpy,

Comment

Kusagani..? Do you mean Ame no Murakumo no Tsurugi a.k.a Kusanagi no Tsurugi? A good question... since its replica is a straight sword, it could be an chokuto too. Though I'd have to see real thing first to be sure of that.
          Wow! I can't even spell it as spell it as "Grass Cutter" (one of the biggest let downs in names ever, next to King Arther's other bladed weapon names!)

It is weird though, take a look:

(NB: other items are the other symbols of the Monarch of Japan, like the Crown Jewls in the UK)

Comment

Yeah, I can't stand the new name for this relict too.
            It's a true mystery to me how they could rename it from Ame no Murakumo no Tsurugi (Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven) into Kusanagi no Tsurugi (Grass Cutting Sword) and think the latter would actually be more 'popular' by the croud! Geez...

In any case, even with the photo of its replica it's hard to categorize the artefact:
            Blade length not published, weight not published, even the age of the sword is not known to public.

Heck, the last time anyone saw the goddamn thing was when Emperor Akihito ascended to the throne in 1989.
            Last edited by Kamigoroshi; 12-15-2010, 06:28 AM.

Harpy,

Comment

Yeah, I can't stand the new name for this relict too.
              It's a true mystery to me how they could rename it from Ame no Murakumo no Tsurugi (Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven) into Kusanagi no Tsurugi (Grass Cutting Sword) and think the latter would actually be more 'popular' by the croud! Geez...

In any case, even with the photo of its replica it's hard to categorize the artefact:
              Blade length not published, weight not published, even the age of the sword is not known to public.

Heck, the last time anyone saw the goddamn thing was when Emperor Akihito ascended to the throne in 1989.
              Well according to Usagi Yomijimo... that used reserch... When one of Japan's Legindary emporer's went on a quest he used it to defend himself from being burnt by flaming grass! and renamed it... It's like one of Arther's Squires renaming Excalaber... something lame... and in welsh...

Yeah, I know it's a replica... it's sad but just... curious?

agreed, Like 90% of the Crown Jewels

Comment

So would a straight blade Katana be just as effective as a curved blade Katana?
                sigpic
                ~Beaten By A Little Girl~

Comment

Originally posted by megadomonic View Post
                  Good Question!

Well, strait and curved blades have their effectiveness, BUT curved blades are stronger than their straight brothers... I sense a test coming up! Who has 220 K to burn? or a banker's bonus?

Comment

Lol, you'd be dead in seconds, trying to swing that flagpole around.

Comment

Originally posted by LuxVertas View Post
                      Wow! I can't even spell it as spell it as "Grass Cutter" (one of the biggest let downs in names ever, next to King Arther's other bladed weapon names!)

It is weird though, take a look:

(NB: other items are the other symbols of the Monarch of Japan, like the Crown Jewls in the UK)
                      Lux,The pictures above are just artist's impression. Maybe it's the one Akihito used (The one Kamigoroshi said) .
                      They only gave examples of what the three imperial regalia of japan looked like.
                      The real thing is described as "the wind adheres to the path of the sword to which it was slashed"
                      (great for blowing enemies away with one slash) and was lost in the twelfth century in the sea along with the other two.
                      This is not the real thing- A copy of the original perhaps?
                      It's on the same section as Excalibur, Gramm and Caladbolg, maybe they didn't exist at all.
                      I hope they find the location of the damned thing fast.

Comment

Originally posted by megadomonic View Post
                        In short, no! Straight blades are for thrusting and cutting, while curved blades are for slashing. As they serve different purposes they cannot reach the same effectiveness as one another in attacks they aren't build for.

Originally posted by LuxVertas View Post
                        Good Question!

Well, strait and curved blades have their effectiveness, BUT curved blades are stronger than their straight brothers... I sense a test coming up! Who has 220 K to burn? or a banker's bonus?
                        Curved blades are heavier than their straight cousins and most often require both hands, which ultimately yields more attack power. But the accuracy suffers and you're unable to use shields.

Harpy,

Comment

Curved blades are heavier than their straight cousins and most often require both hands, which ultimately yields more attack power. But the accuracy suffers and you're unable to use shields.
                          Like I said, we need a test

Comment

I like "Esther"

Comment

Maby it would be a good idea to carry one curved sword and one straight sword?
                              Speaking of Katanas, does anyone know the name for a Katana without the hand guard?

Everytime I stop, and stumble~ In doubt and darkness~ I close my eyes and think back to you~ We made a vow, a promise to carry onword~ I'll see it through~

Comment

Working...
                              X