Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

End for internet-radio!?! !@#$ing law makers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End for internet-radio!?! !@#$ing law makers!

I hate this government.
    I hate it.
    Before I even go on ranting about what they did this time, can I ask how manny times we have made threads in here about how law makers screw over us individuals in support of big bisness?
    ...!@#$ it, I dont even wanna think about it.....

Anyways, Iv been listening to japan-a-radio for a long time now. I enjoyed their internet-radio. But now, the front page of their website warns us of a possable future. That a bill being passed will force internet radio braudcasters to use this shitty non-opensource and expencive crap by MS and/or RealMedia. wtf! This is only a ploy to force the little ppl to spend big bucks on things in order to broudcast. Why cant ppl just use open source free things?!?

Here's a quote from the website
    STOP THE PERFORM ACT. - WEBSITE IN PRODUCTION

A new bill introduced into the U.S. Senate punishes Satellite Radio for allowing their customers FAIR USE Recording of their content, and will kill Internet Radio broadcasting, forcing webcasters to use expensive DRM-laden formats like Windows Media and RealAudio. This bill is identified by it's number, S. 2644, Platform Equality and Remedies for Rights Holders in Music Act of 2006, or dubbed the "PERFORM Act".

Please stop this from happening! Please write to your senators and representitives and ask them to oppose the "PERFORM Act". Please do this now! Don't wait!

Link to the act (gpo.gov): S.2644 (PERFORM Act)

News Stories regarding The PERFORM ACT
    EFF News Story
    DailyTech
    Ars Technica
    TMCnet
    Last edited by StarWarsGalaxies; 05-29-2006, 03:33 PM.

Wow... That's really messed up. =/ I like Japan-A-Radio too. >_<

But, I don't really listen to it much. I mostly listen to the music that I have downloaded...

But, I really agree about the Government... They're big time f*ck ups... -_-
    sigpic

Comment

Why Capitalism sucks.

Comment

If you read that actual bill it only effects US broadcasters. So SWG your japan radio is safe. This bill is to force American braodcasters to charge for their services and to include a securtiy encode in the stream so it cant be played except by subscribing users. Most mani stream ISP's in the US include one of these services as part of your package. Comcast has Rhapsody included at no extra charge so they say. Rhapsody is part of the Realmedia network. The only outcome is if you listen to US based streams then you will most likely have to start paying for them.
        “If Apple made a car would it have windows?"

Comment

Actully, japan-a-radio is hosted inside America... :|
          Yeah, kinda throws u off by the name, kinda like HongFire, which isnt realy hosted in HongKong, but in Texas :\

but it just bothers me because Japan-a-radio has been begging for money for a long time now. They have a low budget as it is, and now they godda pay more money for this crap! They almost went off the air b 4, and if his bill is passed, l0l, yeah, they will probably just give up.

Comment

Well the good news is since it is in the US and it is a US bill then your letters and complaints to your senator could actually have some baering on it passing or not. Your best option would be to get a petition to gether and submit it to your senator and show him how many people are against theis bill. Just complaining about it will only allow the politicians to pass it. A bill that isnt fought usually gets passed. But one that meets opposition will usually be looked at harder and may actually get voted on more equally and might not be passed.
            “If Apple made a car would it have windows?"

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to write about it. Because it really, really is stupid. -_-;;
              sigpic

Comment

thats is why i dont live in america

I alone am honored by above and below heaven.
                -Gautama Buddha

Comment

Originally posted by jokermausland
                  Why Capitalism sucks.
                  Indeed, yet another sick law...
                  HF-Hentai: Softcore | Hardcore | Yuri | Uniforms (w/ poll) | Tentacles -- Join here!

Most perverted HF member 2007
                  | HF-TypeMoon #9 | HF-Mimikko #55 | HF-[img] #11

Comment

Land of the Brave, home of the FEE.
                    sigpic

Comment

To some degree you can blame big business, but you have to balance it with their justified piracy concerns.

I disagree with this bill, because they shouldn't force Internet radio to be a pay service.

There is some other group you should explicitly blame, as they are the most vocal in pushing all these anti-piracy concerns.

The music stars and groups themselves. Only a few music stars and groups have embraced the digital age, the rest see the internet as the domain of evil music pirates.

Comment

wtf? What do they care? Didnt they always make more money off concerts anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by SomeWhiteGuy
                          wtf? What do they care? Didnt they always make more money off concerts anyways?
                          The rich 'always' like to make more money. These music stars are the public face of the industry's anti-piracy campaign.

Comment

Mmmmm...

I think America's due for a revolution....dont'cha think?

Comment

Originally posted by jokermausland
                              Why Capitalism sucks.
                              It's not a flaw of capitalism, but rather, the current political system (political party-based democracy and lobbyism/corporativism).

In the USA, the media industry is way too powerful, yet this is not what people wants. This does not have much to do with the economic system; if it were a dictatorship it would be even easier to get this kind of law approved.

I guess the fastest way to fight this crap back is to consistently boycott the media industry and corporations. In fact, capitalism (not letting them make money) could give you a solution faster than today's democracy ever will.
                              HF-Incest - keep it within the family! | Note: I'm not a pretentious asshole; my nickname was chosen after a character in Sailor Moon | ██

Comment

Working...
                              X