Technology is getting more scary...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology is getting more scary...

Groundbreaking Contour(TM) Reality Capture System Heralds New Era for Computer-Generated Imagery; QuickTime and WebTV Pioneer Steve Perlman Pushes Digital Envelope to New Threshold with Volumetric Cinematography

For the first time, motion picture and video game makers will be able to use digital cameras to accurately capture and depict full-motion, photorealistic computer-generated characters and other imagery.

"The subtlety and detail of Contour is way beyond anything I've ever seen," says Stephen Regelous, founder of Massive Software and creator of the Academy Award(R)-winning crowd animation software used in feature films franchises such as "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy and the recent blockbuster hit "Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." "Contour is the most advanced technology I know of for creating photorealistic human facial animation."

Due to the enormous costs involved, most attempts to create photorealistic CG humans have been limited to big-budget films with long production schedules. In some cases, literally tens of millions of dollars are spent trying to create photoreal CG humans.... Contour results in such a dramatic reduction in photoreal production costs, it opens the door to using photoreal CG characters in a wide range of motion picture, video games...

Contour is compatible with popular animation software and hardware systems, including SOFTIMAGE(R)/XSI(R), SOFTIMAGE(R)/Face Robot(TM), Autodesk(R) Maya(R), Autodesk MotionBuilder(R), Autodesk 3ds Max(R), all Vicon(R) software, and the VICON MX family of motion capture hardware. Contour data can also be exported as OBJ, C3D, or Autodesk Point Cache 2 files and synchronizes with SMPTE time-codes.

Contour is being demonstrated at SIGGRAPH 2006 in Boston. Mova will offer Contour Reality Capture Services to motion picture and video game makers in the 4th quarter of 2006 throughout the world.

Full Article tinyurl.com/nhzwj

Another thing - CGI Test http://tinyurl.com/fyapq

Whoa. That's quite cool.

Wonder how it works and what the costs are?

Comment

more processing power = more complex programs = higher level programming langauges = higher electrical consumption = more pollution = more wars = end of world
      The sad thing thing about life
      The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
      The ones who know the most are those who say they know nothing.
      The older you get the dumber you feel and the less you understand

Comment

zomg~~ that was freaky ^^
        i actually thought it's a real human until i saw her mouth area which looks abit plastic-ish

Comment

There's been a big move towards realism in the gaming industry lately, which in my opinion is not such a great thing. I'd rather play videogames to ESCAPE reality, not mimic it! Do we really WANT Mario looking like a real guy?

Comment

Arrrr...

This breakthrough is good fer budget-wise movie industry. As fer gaming industry I believe some company will retain the cartoony looks of some of their video game characters. And Half-Life 3 will look more.... real!

Comment

too much emphasis on realism is a waste of effort, sure it may look good, but if the gameplay and storyline is crap then the game fails.

Comment

Originally posted by moogleking
                too much emphasis on realism is a waste of effort, sure it may look good, but if the gameplay and storyline is crap then the game fails.
                I cannot agree more. The silly developers are putting so much money and effort in making the pictures look real, it's crippling the overall quality. They claim that the chost of creating a game nowdays are so high, well whose fault is that? No one asked them to add in new and expensive technology into the games, all we want is a decent gameplay and decent story and more originality. now the money is all wasted on graphics.

What happens when games start to get mroe and more expensive to make? variety, quality, new ideas are cut off because the developters don't want to take a risk on new ideas. That's why hollywood hasn't come out with an original idea for the past decade. most of the movies created nowadays are either based on a book, or a remake of an older title

HF-Yushy | HF-Hentai | HF-Clamp | HF-Mecha

Comment

this is amazing, i would like to see a realistic simulation program.
                  my dream soon will be realized in the near future, im so happy...

Comment

I am fine with the technological advancements that they are making, as long as not everything is not from photographical CG programs. Yes, I'd have a hard time making a man do triple jumps dressed in red and blue. Y'all want Yoshi and Bowser to look real? XD Princess Peach and Daisy are all right. (what, don't look at me lol)

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyWater
                      I am fine with the technological advancements that they are making, as long as not everything is not from photographical CG programs. Yes, I'd have a hard time making a man do triple jumps dressed in red and blue. Y'all want Yoshi and Bowser to look real? XD Princess Peach and Daisy are all right. (what, don't look at me lol)
                      Come to think of it, what kind of dinosaur IS Yoshi, anyway? He looks kind of like a velociraptor to me, even though he's omnivorous. Imagine a realistic looking Mario riding a velociraptor...is that the future of videogames?

(somehow I doubt it )

Comment

Now that's an odd thought. Lol XD

Princess Peach is to pretty to be made real-looking btw. It would be disturbing.

Comment

Though you have to admit, it'd be interesting to play something like Silent Hill with that. Ya think it's scary when it's all pixel-ish? Think of it when it looks so real it practically jumps at you... Or maybe even the game F.E.A.R.

Creepy...

On the subject of creativity being lost in games, I totally agree, games are starting to get really boring and repetitive, losing the emphasis on a story and instead emphasizing on realism. Though there are a few exceptions where great graphics and story mix, like some of the Final Fantasy games and that new Lost Planet game coming out.

HF - TypeMoon member #138
                          "Paradisiac moon was broken! This incident is unprecedented serious affair." lol ZUN

Comment

Also, I have noticed that the trend of global trading with video games is increasing in business but declining in the challenge in games. I have realized that playing Super Mario kart is more difficult than mario kart 64, following mario kart double dash. Now I am asking myself, are the games being "dumbed-down" to satisfy the general public? Because I have some experience with video games, I have expectations from future games that they are challenging. It is dissappointing to me when I eventually learn that the games I play are easy to beat. Is it my growing logic that I am surpassing the specified challenges in each game or is it that I am playing with the wrong games? (I am a nintendo fan myself so I play nintendo games a lot)

btw, won't the company place the role of gangster to snifit?

edit: yes, yoshi will be a scary velociraptor that throws large-*** eggs and swallows mario whenever he feels like it then spit him out. If peach were to walk by, yoshi would have thumping hearts on his eyes and drool. can a dinosaur do all that? XD
                            Last edited by CrazyWater; 07-31-2006, 12:50 PM.

Comment

technology get crazier the more it will profit us
                              it mean the engine like dvd rw years ago is so expensive u see now!!!
                              may note book i bought last years and now the price decrease about half many things like that happen but the ns technology is really a ns things more good medium will come too rite!!

Comment

Working...
                              X