Lawmakers in Korea Ban Offensive Clothing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawmakers in Korea Ban Offensive Clothing

Seoul, Korea. (Reuters) - A recent Korean bill banning "Offensive Clothing" has been passed through the house and is on its way to be signed by the President. The law would create a fine (misdemeanor) for anyone wearing clothing that has been deemed as "lewd, offensive, or vulgar," which includes racial obscenity as well as nudity. President Roh, supports the bill and has said that he believes this bill will help to "strengthen the future generations by creating a profound respect for themselves and their surroundings." The house was extremely split on the bill, but with a push from the United States Chief Secretary encouraging the practices for "a better future," opposition slightly waned, giving it the push it needed to make it through. Roh is expected to sign the bill on the 28th of August.
    Last edited by Cyrano; 08-24-2006, 12:52 AM.

Somebody shoot Roh! If girls don't wear sexy clothes then *gasps*
    Starter of the Unofficial HF-Square Enix #1!

Sing a Kanon for me...

Spoiler
    Member of: HF-Clamp #Unknown | HF-Hentai #392 |HF-Type-moon #149 | HF-Haruhi-ism #11 | Unofficial HF-Bleach #6 Kuchiki Byakuya | Unofficial HF-Navel #16

Comment

Wow, now I knew that Korea has a lot of pride in their dignity and image, but this is taking too far. Even though I'm Korean, I don't approve of this cause I got some funny clothes and I would probably take them to Korea and wear it. Hey, they can't do nothing, I ain't a korean citizen so screw them .

ハハ"子ロ- タン!

Comment

Well actually when your in a country you have to abide by their laws. You should know that. They can arrest and or fine you whatever they fine their citizens. But I think banning clothing is dumb. It seems suddenly half the world is trying to ban anything they can to try and express just a bit more control on the people.
        “If Apple made a car would it have windows?"

Comment

^ That's true, but what happens if you're a US Citizen by birth and they force you to enlist in the Army? (It's mandatory duty for all males over the age of 18 to join the Army in S. Korea)

I've had a couple of incident where the police tried to force and capture some guys I know. They didn't come back home after 3 years because the US government won't do anything for them to prove their citizenship. Anyways, yes I would abide their laws, but I would wear it just to see how they'll react.

ハハ"子ロ- タン!

Comment

Originally posted by xspeed
            ^ That's true, but what happens if you're a US Citizen by birth and they force you to enlist in the Army? (It's mandatory duty for all males over the age of 18 to join the Army in S. Korea)

I've had a couple of incident where the police tried to force and capture some guys I know. They didn't come back home after 3 years because the US government won't do anything for them to prove their citizenship. Anyways, yes I would abide their laws, but I would wear it just to see how they'll react.
            The same applies for Taiwan too

And that's very interesting
            Starter of the Unofficial HF-Square Enix #1!

Sing a Kanon for me...

Spoiler
            Member of: HF-Clamp #Unknown | HF-Hentai #392 |HF-Type-moon #149 | HF-Haruhi-ism #11 | Unofficial HF-Bleach #6 Kuchiki Byakuya | Unofficial HF-Navel #16

Comment

So I guess I wont be able to wear my Rocky Horror picture show outfit next time I visit korea.. Damn!
              “If Apple made a car would it have windows?"

Comment

Well you will, you'll just get a fine for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enjyu
                  The same applies for Taiwan too

And that's very interesting
                  Same for Singapore. haiz...
                  The way to get rid of darkness is with light;
                  The way to overcome cold is with heat;
                  The way to overcome the negative thought is to substitute the good thought.
                  Affirm the good, and the bad will vanish.

Comment

well korean goverment dun have anything to do they juts care a bout clothing??????????
                    omg thay r the worst

Comment

You have to note that South Korea is a society based on strong confucian values. Even posing nude is very frowned upon in South Korea.

Anyway, their country, their law. I doubt anyone can argue it is wrong to ban clothing that encourage racial obscenity or nudity. I wonder what the lawmakers classify as "lewd, offensive or vulgar".
                      Now Downloading : None at the moment
                      Now Helping to Seed : None at the moment

Comment

I always thing the clothes which the law applies to is what picture or writing they have on them.

I don't think sleeveless tank tops can be offensive..

Comment

Anybody say amish?

Well can't say I really care since I don't have to be in offensive clothing to go on the offensive as a pervert.

Faust
                          You abortion of filth and hell-fire

Best line ever.

Comment

Originally posted by jinjin
                            Confucianism is more like an ethical tradition rather than a religion. It promotes strong moral values and considers relationships to be more important than laws. Hence a society based on strong Confucian values will be slow to adopt laws to enforce moral values.

Not true, Confucianism also stresses obediance to authorities.
                            Now Downloading : None at the moment
                            Now Helping to Seed : None at the moment

Comment

So much censorship... and for what?!
                              Seriously, they should focus on real problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X