Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could someone teach me about programming?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Could someone teach me about programming?

    I'm a high schooler and the school I attend doesn't even have any type of computer classes. So I wish to know if someone could teach me about programming, scripting, language scripting, basics, C-base, and so on.
    sigpic
    ~Beaten By A Little Girl~

  • #2
    im not too good on that stufs but all that i know i learned by my self... i recomend u google for pdf tutorials and serch for forums of programing and if the program u use (like visualstudio, etc) have a help-tutorial menu use it and good luck

    Comment


    • #3
      It's called the internet, from this you get utorrent and search something called google.

      When you do this the fairies will tell you to get the "dummies guide to C".

      Thank the fairies

      Comment


      • #4
        Yep check your local book store or library for the Whatever for dummies series. They usually have books on things like programming in various languages. That would be your best bet. teaching over the net is nearly impossible especially if you have no foundation to begin with.
        “If Apple made a car would it have windows?"

        Comment


        • #5
          First things first, what do you want to know? You listed a bunch of general topics, so not sure what and where to start advising.

          You might want to start out with what you intend to do with the knowledge. We can work from there.
          この先の困難に負けずに頑張れ。

          Comment


          • #6
            If you want C, try this site as a starter
            Then grab books for more advanced knowledge.

            Choose one language in the beginning, learn the basic structure & rules, which is usually shared among different languages and quite boring. Tiny differences do exist. There will be many more variations in dealing with specific tasks.

            You can decide which one to master later, depending on job prospect, interest or college requirement. In college, some language are learned by self-learning too, and often in problem solving basis.

            Comment


            • #7
              All right, thanks a lot. I'm trying to learn this for future preparation. For now, all I know is that I can open my notepad and start a script off like this...

              wscript.echo "Type Something Here..."
              Then save as a .vsb script.
              sigpic
              ~Beaten By A Little Girl~

              Comment


              • #8
                Oh, id be happy to teach you programming.


                10101000100101110010101010100100010101010111010100 001010110010000100101001000010100110101010110

                Happy?
                正義を心に閉ざし、自由のために有れと叫ぶもの。時代のうねりについていけぬ者はこうで仕方ない。死を受け 入れずに、どうやって生きていくのかね?肉は腐り、骨が砕くのに、まだ死ぬのを怖がるのか?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by megadomonic View Post
                  All right, thanks a lot. I'm trying to learn this for future preparation. For now, all I know is that I can open my notepad and start a script off like this...

                  wscript.echo "Type Something Here..."
                  Then save as a .vsb script.
                  ...and the first recommendation of an ex-coder (and a long-time sysadmin) will be: "keep away from VB and VBscript for as long as you can" ^_^

                  Learning programming languages is easy. Learning how to program is not. If you can handle the hard (but proper) way, learn how to create algorithms and data flow charts. Because once I draw a flowchart (i.e. know how data and logic flows in my process), I can take a book on any programming language, including those I don't know, and write code very quickly. And if I don't understand exactly every step of my "process", writing code will result in something that won't even compile.


                  Once you can describe data and logic flow, you can either go the classic way and learn C or C++, or turn to the dark side and go for either VB or C#. Or take the middle path and go for a scripting language like Perl.

                  HF-Loli | HF-Mimikko | HF-Bishoujo Games | HF-Hentai

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I know you may be starting to know the "programming world" but It would be good if you know what you wanna do and what you really like. Something like your own Word, paint, music player, etc. Or if you like databases you would get a good match for programming. I recommend SQL, ORACLE, PL/SQL. But if you just want to make some programs, I recommend Visual Basic just to start, and then you can go to C++.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      does anyone have a few years & a few hundred to spend on books & study material lying about?
                      miscalanious.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BOFH View Post
                        ...and the first recommendation of an ex-coder (and a long-time sysadmin) will be: "keep away from VB and VBscript for as long as you can" ^_^

                        Learning programming languages is easy. Learning how to program is not. If you can handle the hard (but proper) way, learn how to create algorithms and data flow charts. Because once I draw a flowchart (i.e. know how data and logic flows in my process), I can take a book on any programming language, including those I don't know, and write code very quickly. And if I don't understand exactly every step of my "process", writing code will result in something that won't even compile.


                        Once you can describe data and logic flow, you can either go the classic way and learn C or C++, or turn to the dark side and go for either VB or C#. Or take the middle path and go for a scripting language like Perl.
                        That's going to be the best answer you're going to get.
                        Doesn't matter which language you want to start out with,
                        but if you don't have an idea on what you're going to use
                        it for, you might as well give up, as it's only going to frustrate
                        you.

                        Brainstorming your ideas, especially into easy to follow flow
                        charts, plus giving yourself a realistic date of completion,
                        should allow you to take on any language. As as BOFH says,
                        avoid VB for as long as possible. It's very messy, sometimes
                        confusing and little extra work for simple stuff to start
                        working.

                        If you plan on doing web coding, start with HTML/CSS
                        If you plan on doing software, start with C/SQL

                        ...then you just build from there.

                        A nice reference website for a bunch of coding tips/tricks:
                        http://www.w3schools.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          - this depends on how determined you are to learn programming and why do you want it ?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            hongfire is like the worst possible place
                            to ask programming questions. just look
                            at all these people recommending c and
                            visual basic

                            you should start with c#, java or python.
                            then get a good beginner's book, check
                            amazon for reviews. msdn has some really
                            good tutorials if you decide to start with c#

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gvbn View Post
                              hongfire is like the worst possible place
                              to ask programming questions. just look
                              at all these people recommending c and
                              visual basic
                              I'm sorry to say that you haven't a slightest idea what you're talking about. I started my coding with QBASIC and Assembler back in the days of the ROM interpreter equipped computers with no hard drives, and went all the way to C#. And I'll tell you that IMO, studying C is absolutely essential, because it teaches one to think structurally and logically. The fact that lots of *NIX code is still written in C (as in "not C++") is an added benefit.
                              ...though I agree that recommending VB to someone is a _very_ bad idea... ^_^


                              Originally posted by gvbn View Post
                              you should start with c#, java or python.
                              Not the worst languages to learn programming, but by far not the best - especially if one wants to learn programming, and not coding. Then again, what could I expect from someone who recommends MSDN as a resource...

                              HF-Loli | HF-Mimikko | HF-Bishoujo Games | HF-Hentai

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X