Automatic or Manual?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic or Manual?

What kind of transmission do you prefer when driving?

I used to only drive automatics, until about a week ago when Mom taught me how to drive her manual-transmission '98 Isuzu Rodeo. It's been less than a week and already I've mastered the basics to the point where the action of shifting has become almost instinctive.

At this point I don't think I could ever go back to an automatic. Given, I still drop the clutch and I tend to panic during situations where I need perfect timing and end up stalling the car, especially when there's traffic behind me. But it seems so much easier to drive stick now, especially since I haven't driven an automatic since my senior prom 2.5 years ago (I have the massive speeding ticket I earned that night to thank for that ) It's so much easier to control your acceleration, if you want to accelerate quickly use a lower gear whereas slow accelerations/cruising you can shift up for less engine stress. It makes me feel like I'm in better control of the vehicle, and plus it just looks badass to drive stick... like you're in The Fast and the Furious or something.
    Automatic
    17.58%
    Manual
    75.82%
    Hybrid (Auto with low gear options, etc.)
    2.20%
    No preference
    4.40%
    CONSENTES DEI JUNO JUPITER MINERVA APOLLO MARS CERES
    MERCURIUS DIANA BACCHUS VULCANUS PLUTO VESTA VENUS

Manual all the way. Unless it's a videogame, then most likely automatic.

I just like the control I'm given, I'm not even talking about performance. (plus I started at 14 with a 6 speed bike, so yeah, I'm pretty used to it)

Comment

I'm used to drive manual cars, in fact in my country (and I think in most of Europe) our cars have manual transmission. I don't know if that's better or worse but what I know is that weird for me driving automatics is weird. Maybe comfier but strange after so many years.

The truth is that I don't care anymore, I'm tired of driving.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_293080_1467446443955_602[/ATTACH]

Comment

Manual is good...but a car is a car and if it gets you from a to b then that's all that matters to start with, then you can work your way up to your dream car.

Comment

i never learned to drive stick
          sigpic
          http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg

for the shipper in all of us

Comment

Can't stand automatic. When I had my car accident 3 years ago,
            I was given a rental for a week. Took me 3 days to learn the
            speeds on the shifting for the gears (how fast you need to go).

Unless my left knee gives out completely, I won't be switching to
            manual.

Comment

auto but do change gears on slopes
              had experience with an old manual, it doesn't even start easily lol.

Comment

I drive manual ever since I started.

Comment

It depends on what you are using the car for, are you doing a lot of stop and go traffic, a lot of highway miles, driving around a race track? There is no best answer, because in addition to situation it comes down to preference. If i was a pizza delivery driver I would LOVE an automatic, if I was a race car driver I would love a sequential manual gearbox, if I was cruising along the highways and sparsely populated roadways I would like a full manual.
                  fancy quote that annoys or bores.

Comment

Step-dad started my brother and I out on a standard car. After a year of that he let us decide which was better and we stayed with the standard car. lol

Comment

Manual, since I never drive a car with other kind of transmission before.

Comment

I guess automatic. Because I'm to lazy to drive stick...
                        But stick gives me more excitement.
                        ----------->ME YOUTUBE CLICK NOW<-----------

Comment

definitely manual, I like the control and generally driving is more fun, except in morning traffic jams, not so fun then ...

Comment

I started with automatic, but switched to manual last year. Now I keep trying to step on the clutch whenever I get in an automatic.

I think that automatic is great for learning to drive. That way, you don't have to worry about shifting yet.
                            redshirts - taking the bullet so you don't have to

Comment

Manual for me sa. I like to shift gear more often and much more comfortable.
                              Traffic jam is the only downside for me but the fun manual tranny is hella lot.

HF-Nyoro-Ni....err...HF-Haruhi-Ism member # 139

Comment

Working...
                              X